PDA

View Full Version : Fighters don't need to talk

Fridesgerte
2007-07-19, 02:22 PM
I just wondered what people think about this.

My PC (Fighter/11) in a D&D 3.5 game recently did something very stupid that resulted in her becoming a blood thrall to an evil Fey from the Plane of Earth. She sought out an alternative way to fulfill the bargain without being compelled to perform any evil acts. As part of her atonement she voluntarily gave up her ability to speak for a year and a day. As a result of the ritual that was performed she cannot make any vocal sounds at all.

My DM has purposely not made it clear whether she will be able to learn a sign language, since he has already said being mute would be “inconvenient.” (She has been able to commission a book about sign language that she may be able to learn from.)

We’re still working out the details, but we’ve come up with some ways she can still communicate in different situations. She has a slate board and chalk (a small whiteboard and markers) and can write things to the rest of the party if they are just sitting around. She can also make ordinary gestures.

My DM has ruled that once initiatives have been rolled, writing is at least a move-equivalent action, and may be a standard action if it’s more than a few words. It also requires another PC to be close enough to read what she writes. She can make gestures as a free action if her hands are free, but she fights with a Greatsword (or a Bow), so she usually doesn’t have her hands free during combat.

(BTW, she has a powerful, intelligent, talking, Orc-killing Greatsword and has to make a will save to not kill Orcs. When she had a party member tell the sword what she had done, it replied, “Fighters don’t need to talk.” She’s since discovered that she can still control at least some of its other powers.)

My DM also agreed that she could use (and the rest of the party would remember) about a dozen combat hand signals that we had worked out previously. Things like “take cover,” “follow me” and “move out.”

The most important thing my DM and I decided (when he agreed to let me do this) was that while I would be able to describe my PC’s actions normally, I would not be able to say what my PC was thinking. I agreed, as this would otherwise be a too-easy way to get around her muteness. (Since my group tends toward meta-gaming and OOC discussions in general, this is more of a limitation than you would think.) So far this has played out as my PC having to have “discussed” her thoughts, opinions and suggestions in-character before I can talk about them OOC.

The rest of the party (players and PC’s) has taken it well, considering they didn’t know what she was going to do until after it was done. (She went off by herself and, when she got back from the Temple where the ritual was performed, handed the party a letter explaining what she had done and why.) Of course at least one PC tried to suggest ways she could be healed, and she had to explain that she didn’t want to be healed since she had chosen to do this.

So far it’s been a lot of fun. She’s actually participated more in the party’s discussions of what to do next than she would have when she could speak; and she really didn’t talk that much during combat anyway.

Oh, and hello everyone, I’ve been lurking for a while but this is my first post.

nerulean
2007-07-19, 02:30 PM
I say this: major kudos.

Playing a difficult character like that can be a challenge but it can also be hugely rewarding, and it really sounds like you've got the sort of DM and group that's mature enough to make it worthwhile. Right now it sounds like great fun, and if there's ever a problem-- well, there are workarounds: telepathy and so on. Sounds like it's all fun and no problem to me. You go!

Fridesgerte
2007-07-19, 02:38 PM
I've got a really great, experience DM who gave my idea a lot of thought before he OK'd it. I was getting a little bored with my character before, but not any more!

Telepathy doesn't work on her, at least when a Detect Thoughts was cast upon her all the caster got was the idea that "someone" was there and a sort of blurry image.

Our party has a set of magical communications devices on order, from before she did this, that are telepathy-based, and we don't know if they'll work for her either.

Fixer
2007-07-19, 02:41 PM
Not talking?

During an RPG?

Sort of counter-intuitive but, hey, at least you aren't a spellcaster. Not many somatic-only spells.

JEntropy
2007-07-19, 02:41 PM
First campaign I was in, one of our rogues had his jaw busted up pretty badly in his youth, that prevented him from communicating verbally. While he could still understand common, he could only communicate via "handspeak". This made for some interesting situations when our party was separated a number of different ways during the campaign, and his character ended up with people (like me) that didn't know handspeak...

Megakudos. Flaws/handicaps make roleplaying interesting, even temporary ones.

Yuki Akuma
2007-07-19, 02:46 PM
Uber-kudos to you, Fridesgerte. :smallbiggrin: That sounds like an intensely fun situation to be in. Have you considered how your character will react once she finds out she can speak again? Would she just stay silent and continue using chalk and hand signals, or would she become very, very chatty?

...I like thinking ahead.

Fridesgerte
2007-07-19, 02:50 PM
So far, she's only afraid of two things: Not being able to warn the party and going down with no one noticing. The party's already decided she does not do rear-guard any more.

Person_Man
2007-07-19, 02:52 PM
The Tome of Battle specifically states that you can buy battle signs (think Navy Seals) with your Speak Language Skill at the normal cost. Though you're limited to tactical maneuvers and simple sentences (go there, attack at 1200 hours, return with report, etc) you'll be able to communicate. Usually EVERYONE in a party should spend 1 or 2 Skill points to get this, otherwise communication isn't possible while attempting to Hide or Move Silently as a group, or when you think there might be enemies nearby.

Also, if you're able to gain any arcane spellcasting ability (1 level dip in a PrC with access to arcane spells will do it, and there are a number of them with full BAB and light entry requirements, such as the Corrupt Avenger (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20051006b&page=1)) you can take Obtain Familiar as a feat. Raven familiars can talk, and you have an empathic link with your familiar which allows it to understand and communicate your emotions (Master approves, master disapproves, master hungry, master think princess we just saved is hot...) This also gives you a speaking roleplaying part - that of your familiar, who can develop its own personality.

Also, familiars have hit points = 1/2 their master's hit points, so it might even be helpful as a spy out of combat and a flanker in combat as a flanker, especially if you can convince the party spellcaster to use Greater Invisibility on it.

Kurald Galain
2007-07-19, 03:06 PM
So far, she's only afraid of two things: Not being able to warn the party and going down with no one noticing. The party's already decided she does not do rear-guard any more.

As for warning people, making an awful lot of noise is generally easy. Just carry a horn, or hit a tree with a piece of wood, or stomp, or whatever.

ALOR
2007-07-19, 03:18 PM
This sounds like a fun experiance
sadly, my group won't let me play a mute character. They yell at me everytime i try
:smallfrown:

Talya
2007-07-19, 03:23 PM
You'll have your looks
Your pretty face
And don't underestimate the importance of
Body language, Ha!

The men up there don't like a lot of blabber.
They thing a girl who gossips is a bore.
Yes, on land it's much preferred
For ladies not to say a word.
And after all, dear
What is idle prattle for?

They're not all that impressed with conversation.
True gentlemen avoid it when they can.
But they dote and swoon and fawn
On a lady who's withdrawn.
It's she who holds her tongue
Who gets her man.

Come on, you poor unfortunate soul!
Go ahead, make your choice.
I'm a very busy woman and I haven't got all day
It won't cost much, just your voice.

nerulean
2007-07-19, 03:26 PM
As for warning people, making an awful lot of noise is generally easy. Just carry a horn, or hit a tree with a piece of wood, or stomp, or whatever.

Oh! Yes! Definitely carry a horn! All the best tormented-fighter-characters do it.

Fridesgerte
2007-07-19, 03:34 PM
Oh! Yes! Definitely carry a horn! All the best tormented-fighter-characters do it.

I'm not sure a horn would work, my DM already said she can't have a whistle. I've already planned to bang on stuff with a stick. I've also reminded the party that they have to look at my PC regularly.

SilverClawShift
2007-07-19, 03:50 PM
If you want to go the classy warning route, carry a small violin. Very situational, but a good loud SCREEEECHING musical chord at the right moment could do wonders as a warning.

Also. The silent internally tortured fighter who grabs a few ranks in Perform: Violin and spends quiet time playing a slow somber tune is a nice image...

*edit* You could also use it to convey sarcastic dettachment, in place of actually being able to speak.
"What do we do now?"
:smallannoyed: *whaaaa wha wha whaaaaa*

JEntropy
2007-07-19, 04:01 PM
If you want to go the classy warning route, carry a small violin. Very situational, but a good loud SCREEEECHING musical chord at the right moment could do wonders as a warning.

Also. The silent internally tortured fighter who grabs a few ranks in Perform: Violin and spends quiet time playing a slow somber tune is a nice image...

*edit* You could also use it to convey sarcastic dettachment, in place of actually being able to speak.
"What do we do now?"
:smallannoyed: *whaaaa wha wha whaaaaa*

If you really want to alert the group, don't bother putting any ranks in perform. It's not trained only, and its CC, and IRL I'd wager that an untrained violinist gets more attention than an amateur.

Of course, if I were the DM, I'd have the players make a check to see if they could differentiate it from the sound of a cat in its death throes. :smallbiggrin:

dyslexicfaser
2007-07-19, 04:10 PM
My advice: that character obviously needs more cowbell.

Driderman
2007-07-19, 04:16 PM
One of my first characters was a mute, actually.
Very fun indeed. We were playing ordinary mortals in the World Of Darkness Dark Ages and we played a very diverse theater group. I was the big, mute fellow who had to lug all the props around and such, not sure what its called in english. Everybody though I was somewhat 'touched in the head', but he was actually one of the more intelligent persons in the group and also the only one who could read and write.
I see a lot of people suggesting ways to get around your handicap and although I'm sure they mean it well, why would you? I mean, it gives a lot of possibilities for fun and interesting roleplay

Jayabalard
2007-07-19, 04:29 PM
If someone is actively in combat, they're to really going to have a hard time watching you for signals. Lack of facing in D&D makes it unclear whether they'd be able to see you at all. Unless they're fighting the same target as you, I'd probably say that trying to keep an eye on you for signals is almost as distracting as being flanked would be.

Writing stuff down in combat should really be a full round action per word, or more/not possible if the language that you write in is Hieroglyphic, or Pictogram based (most people probably don't define how writing works in D&D, but some people do)

Pilum
2007-07-19, 04:39 PM
So far, she's only afraid of two things: Not being able to warn the party ...

Still, one should always look on the bright side. If you're not being allowed any whistles or horns, your fighter will be guaranteed a good night's sleep on any adventure. Not much point being on camp duty if you can't yell "We're being attacked!" :smallwink:

(though yes, I acknowledge the unfortunate possibility of banging a weapon on a metal shield. Personally, I'd take the kip!)

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-07-19, 04:42 PM
The Tome of Battle specifically states that you can buy battle signs (think Navy Seals) with your Speak Language Skill at the normal cost. Though you're limited to tactical maneuvers and simple sentences (go there, attack at 1200 hours, return with report, etc) you'll be able to communicate. Usually EVERYONE in a party should spend 1 or 2 Skill points to get this, otherwise communication isn't possible while attempting to Hide or Move Silently as a group, or when you think there might be enemies nearby.

Where in Tome of Battle is this? I'm looking in the skills section right now, and can't find it.

Fridesgerte
2007-07-19, 04:48 PM
Uber-kudos to you, Fridesgerte. :smallbiggrin: That sounds like an intensely fun situation to be in. Have you considered how your character will react once she finds out she can speak again? Would she just stay silent and continue using chalk and hand signals, or would she become very, very chatty?

...I like thinking ahead.

I've already thought about that as well, and I'm not sure. She wasn't much of a talker before this. I think she might well stay silent. The rest of the party has been paying more attention to her--and interrupting her less--since she started writing on her slate.

Anyway she's less than a month, game time, into her vow, and we estimate close to two years real time to get through her year-and-a-day, so I'll have plenty of time for her to decide.

Superglucose
2007-07-19, 11:59 PM
Wow... that's a brilliant idea. Thanks for posting this, I was working on my next character, who wanders the wild and is in tune with nature and all of that. I was wondering what I'd manage to make this character different, and you gave me an idea... I'm going to see if I can trade my character's automatic languages for extra skill points or something...and have a character that doesn't know any language.

skywalker
2007-07-20, 12:23 AM
I've already thought about that as well, and I'm not sure. She wasn't much of a talker before this. I think she might well stay silent. The rest of the party has been paying more attention to her--and interrupting her less--since she started writing on her slate.

Anyway she's less than a month, game time, into her vow, and we estimate close to two years real time to get through her year-and-a-day, so I'll have plenty of time for her to decide.

Snake Eyes stayed silent when he got his voice back. Snake Eyes is also the man. Everyone pays attention to Snake Eyes all the damn time. Conclusion? Go the Snake Eyes route.

Kurobara
2007-07-20, 02:03 AM
Where in Tome of Battle is this? I'm looking in the skills section right now, and can't find it.

That's because it's actually in Heroes of Battle - close enough name that it's easy to get confused, especially since Tome of Battle has so much other usefulness in it already.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-07-20, 02:17 AM
Ah! Thank you! :smallsmile:

Fridesgerte
2007-07-23, 02:07 PM

Our party had already developed a set of simple signs like these and my DM agreed that we could all remember and use them (for free). To make things easier, I prepared a set of index cards with the signals written on them (and illustrations copied from a military manual I found on line) and my Fighter justs pulls out and holds up the one she's using. I'll probably look up the ones in the book, though. We're still fine-tuning things and my DM may let me make minor changes.

Fridesgerte
2007-07-23, 02:10 PM
Wow... that's a brilliant idea. Thanks for posting this, I was working on my next character, who wanders the wild and is in tune with nature and all of that. I was wondering what I'd manage to make this character different, and you gave me an idea... I'm going to see if I can trade my character's automatic languages for extra skill points or something...and have a character that doesn't know any language.

I’m glad you like what I’ve done, However, before you create a character who doesn’t know any language, consider how your character will think. I believe most intelligent creatures need some kind of language to think at anything but the most primitive, instinctive level.

How will your character interact with other PCs? Without any language at all, your character will not only be unable to speak, it will be unable to understand anyone else.

If you mean it wouldn’t know any normal, recognized language, that could be interesting, but even if your character was raised from birth in the wild by a type of creature different from itself, it would probably learn some form of language

Person_Man
2007-07-23, 02:35 PM

Whoops. Battle signs are in, Heroes of Battle, not Tome of Battle. Sorry. WotC should think of more original names.

Yakk
2007-07-23, 02:48 PM
I got an image of a warrior, veil over her face, greatsword trailing behind her, running through the forest. The only noise a slight touch touch touch as her feet brush the ground...

Silent Charge [Feat]
Requirements: Power Attack, Str 15+, Move Silently 5+

Effect: Gain an extra +4 to hit and damage when making a charge attack against a target who is flanked at the moment the attack lands, or who is denied their dexterity bonus to AC for any reason.

Special: This feat can be taken as a fighter bonus feat.

:)