PDA

View Full Version : Dwarven Defender PHB build ideas

felixwarrior_13
2017-01-17, 05:11 AM
Hello all, long time lurker but first time posting anything.

I have been throwing around a couple potential build ideas for an upcoming campaign, and I was hoping to get some feedback about what you guys all think.

Now, before I get any further, I would like to mention that this is going to be a game with two players who have never played, another who has only been in a session or two, and another one who I know has little to no optimization experience. There are an additional two players who are the DM's friends more than mine, so I don't know much about their level of experience. All in all, we'll have seven players, myself included, so it's a decent-sized group.

The DM wants to keep characters to the core three rulebooks, the PHB, DMG, and MM. This does exclude "2s" (PHB2, DMG2, etc), as well as SRD content not in these books, like UA.
So long story short, I have the PHB and DMG to pull from, and am playing with very inexperienced people.

This means I generally don't want to play a caster, as they're too easy to outshine the rest of the party, whether that's in utility or damage or what-have-you.
We'll most likely be starting at level 1, and I really don't know how high level we'll get, so I'd rather not be terrible (relatively speaking - it's a PHB melee build, it's not gonna be great) for long if I can help it, though again, I don't want to outshine anyone. I guess that's really the challenge here.

With all that said, I would like to play a tank with a touch of disabler thrown in. I know, a turtle isn't a threat, but the DM doesn't do complex encounters or tactics, and again, we'll have new players that I'd like to plop myself down in front of to babysit a little.

Therefore, I currently have two vague build ideas:

Build 1:
1 Monk - Stunning Fist, Toughness
2 Monk - Combat Reflexes
3 Monk - Dodge
4 Monk
5 Monk
6 Monk - Improved Trip, Improved Natural Attack
7 Ranger
8 Ranger - TWF if the DM rules it stacks with Flurry, Rapid Shot if not
9 Ranger - Improved Initiative?
10 Begin Dwarven Defender

The thought here is to use the monk levels to grab SF (I don't want grapple since it wouldn't pair well with Defender) and Reflexes and Trip for a bit of control, while still being mainly a semi-tanky melee that can do a little damage thanks to Imp Nat Atk at 6 bumping me up to 2d6. Ranger 3 gives me Endurance, which is a prereq for Defender, the remaining needed +3 BAB, and a free feat choice. Could be replaced with Fighter for similar benefit, but lose tracking for a few hp and lose free feat for a wider selection.

Build 2:
1 Ranger - Toughness
2 Fighter - Power Attack
3 Ranger - TWF and Improved Shield Bash?
4 Ranger
5 Fighter - Improved Bull Rush?
6 Fighter - Combat Reflexes?
7 Fighter - Dodge
8 Begin Dwarven Defender

This build feels a lot more tanky AC-wise, but has less saves and loses the tripping (I probably won't have the stats for it), so I thought perhaps Bull Rush could be used to move enemies away from allies, and then plant myself in a defensive stance between them or something. The nice thing about this build vs the monk is that I get full BAB, so I get into Defender earlier. I'd be using a dwarven waraxe and a spiked heavy shield, so damage would be lower than the monk build, but it would be less MAD.

For a quick comparison, the Monk build has the advantage with tripping, move speed, damage, and saves.
The Fighter build has advantages in feats, AC, and and BAB (meaning both to-hit and earlier entry to Defender).

So what do you guys think? Which would be a better fit for an extremely low-optimization party? Or would it be better to drop Ranger all together and go straight Fighter and pick up Endurance that way? Monk/Fighter instead of Monk/Ranger? I'd rather not add Paladin to the mix and get even more MAD than he already is if I can avoid it, and everything else loses BAB.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Deadline
2017-01-17, 01:12 PM
We did the Dwarven Defender in an Iron Chef round here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?342807-Iron-Chef-Optimization-Challenge-in-the-Playground-LVI

It may help give you some ideas.

Particle_Man
2017-01-17, 01:21 PM
Another meelee core option is the Horizon Tripper build. And Dwarves are good at not getting tripped back.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?80415-The-Horizon-Tripper-(Core-Melee-Build)

Muggins
2017-01-17, 01:54 PM
We did the Dwarven Defender in an Iron Chef round here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?342807-Iron-Chef-Optimization-Challenge-in-the-Playground-LVI

I think this bears repeating, as the qualities of the Dwarven Defender PrC present some interesting build difficulties. The winning build for that round was, I believe, a telekinetic tank, the second-place build a trapmaster, and the third-place build relied on throwing weapons. Since they didn't need to move, they could just cause chaos across the battlefield while sustaining their high (if immobile) AC.

If you want a more traditional martial build, my advice would be to pick up a reach weapon and Thicket of Blades (a stance from Tome of Battle) to become an iceberg that your opponents will eventually have to deal with whether they like it or not. Tripping is a good option for this.

eggynack
2017-01-17, 02:34 PM
If you want a more traditional martial build, my advice would be to pick up a reach weapon and Thicket of Blades (a stance from Tome of Battle) to become an iceberg that your opponents will eventually have to deal with whether they like it or not. Tripping is a good option for this.
If we're somehow adding tome of battle to the books list, then deepstone sentinel seems worth a bunch of note as basically the fixed dwarven defender.

Otherwise, I'm seconding horizon tripper. One of the best core melee builds, and actually fits your plan of standing in front of allies and disabling or stopping approaching foes.

Eladrinblade
2017-01-17, 05:03 PM
My main beef with dwarven defenders is the dex requirements. You effectively need a 15 in order to not lose your abilities when enlarged, and if anybody hits you with a dex drain effect, there go your class abilities.

Anyway, it's cheesy (to me), but be a spiked chain fighter. Prioritize strength and dex, and grab combat reflexes, spiked chain proficiency, improved trip/disarm, and power attack/cleave/great cleave. Get some access to enlarge person, then just sit in front of your friends and rape anything that comes within 20ft. I would eventually snag quick draw, so you can whip out a bola/whip/net/dwarven thrower and hit somebody out of reach if you need to.

John Longarrow
2017-01-17, 06:23 PM
Please check OPs post... No ToB...

Build I'd go with would be Fighter / Ranger. It works surprisingly well. I've played the "Big obvious threat with a massive axe" before and it worked well.

Course I also had him run around in breastplate with towershield. Made for a hard to hit melee character at low levels and kept working at higher.

The four things we need to look for are:
BAB +7
Dodge
Endurance
Toughness

Fighter 4 / Ranger 3 can grab that easily while still having 3 feats available. That said Fighter 2 / Ranger 5 as entry would work just as well but allow you to cast Long Stider a couple times per day. This will do a LOT to help you keep up with the rest of the party. Likewise Ranger 7 would work well to get in.

How ever lets look at a build based off of Ranger 1, then two levels in fighter, then back to ranger for the rest.
L1 - Dodge (Helps with AC)
L2 - Fighter bonus (Power attack)
L3 - Toughness, Fighter Bonus (Combat Expertise)
L4 - Bonus Endurance from Ranger
L6 - Improved trip

You'd be ready to take your first level in Dwarven Defender at 8th. Either use a massive shield OR go with a two handed weapon. I'd take a halberd personally for this build (extra pair on his back)

GilesTheCleric
2017-01-17, 08:35 PM
Get some access to enlarge person, then just sit in front of your friends and rape anything that comes within 20ft.

Could we please watch our language?

Eladrinblade
2017-01-17, 09:14 PM
Could we please watch our language?

If it doesnt **** it out, it's fair game.

felixwarrior_13
2017-01-18, 12:40 AM
We did the Dwarven Defender in an Iron Chef round here: [link removed]

I read through most of the entries, and while there were a ton of different ideas, sadly there wasn't much that was out of the PHB and DMG. Still quite an interesting read though, even if only for roleplaying/combat tactics ideas. Thanks!

Another meelee core option is the Horizon Tripper build. And Dwarves are good at not getting tripped back.

This seems a lot like what I'm trying to do, except with Dwarven Defender rather than Horizon Walker, with the main difference being that Defender also requires you to be lawful (so no barbarian) and Toughness and Dodge (a couple throwaway feats, so less customization). Thanks for the tip!

My main beef with dwarven defenders is the dex requirements. You effectively need a 15 in order to not lose your abilities when enlarged, and if anybody hits you with a dex drain effect, there go your class abilities.

Anyway, it's cheesy (to me), but be a spiked chain fighter.

Oh, required Dex for Dodge so I still qualify for Defender? I hadn't thought of that, I'll have to talk to the DM about whether that would make the Defender stuff unusable... Maybe I can just get an enhancement for it later on, stats are pretty limited.
Also, I've always avoided spiked chain for the same reason. It feels too cheesy, especially in such a low-power campaign.

Build I'd go with would be Fighter / Ranger. It works surprisingly well. I've played the "Big obvious threat with a massive axe" before and it worked well.

Course I also had him run around in breastplate with towershield. Made for a hard to hit melee character at low levels and kept working at higher.

The four things we need to look for are:
BAB +7
Dodge
Endurance
Toughness

Fighter 4 / Ranger 3 can grab that easily while still having 3 feats available. That said Fighter 2 / Ranger 5 as entry would work just as well but allow you to cast Long Stider a couple times per day. This will do a LOT to help you keep up with the rest of the party. Likewise Ranger 7 would work well to get in.

How ever lets look at a build based off of Ranger 1, then two levels in fighter, then back to ranger for the rest.
L1 - Dodge (Helps with AC)
L2 - Fighter bonus (Power attack)
L3 - Toughness, Fighter Bonus (Combat Expertise)
L4 - Bonus Endurance from Ranger
L6 - Improved trip

You'd be ready to take your first level in Dwarven Defender at 8th. Either use a massive shield OR go with a two handed weapon. I'd take a halberd personally for this build (extra pair on his back)

This would work well, except I don't think I'll have the Int to take Combat Expertise and Improved Trip (which is where I came up with the Monk build idea (which would also help with move speed, but I hadn't considered Longstrider)). We're probably going to be going with 26 point buy, so if I need both Dex and Int at 13 (potentially Dex at 15, as stated above), that uses up a lot of my stat budget. The biggest bonus (to me, anyway) of avoiding Monk is that I'll be less MAD, so I'd like to capitalize on that if I could. I know it would mean I could get into Defender sooner as well, since monk loses BAB, but that's less of a concern.

Feel free to keep suggesting things, guys, the character creation deadline is a ways off yet. Thanks again for all the ideas!

John Longarrow
2017-01-18, 01:02 AM
Dodge requires a 13 dex.
Combat Expertise requires a 13 Int.
Spell casting as Ranger requires 11 Wis.

So if you go
Str 14
Dex 14
Con 14
Int 12
Wis 12
Cha 8

You can put one point into Int at level 4 to get the feats AND upto 2nd level ranger spells. Pushing Wis at 8 and 12 can get your all of your ranger spells (if you go further up).

This would really dump stat your Cha being a dwarf, but it can definitely work.