PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Weird problem

Stryyke
2017-01-17, 10:30 AM
I'm not actually the DM of this particular group, but I find myself in the neutral position between opposing forces. I have two friends about to kill each other IC, but they both came to me OOC to side with them. The Malak, the lich, called Chikoon, the 6 INT barbarian, a coward. Chikoon sees that as fighting words, justifiably so. We ended the session before violence broke out, but they both seem intent on fighting.

Our group isn't the most cohesive group to begin with, and it probably wouldn't survive the internal struggle. I tried to talk with Malak, but he honestly doesn't seem to understand why calling someone a coward would prompt a violent reaction. So I'm wondering how to avoid the confrontation when the person, who I see as "in the wrong" cannot understand why what he did was the catalyst for the violence. The group has been together for a while, and I am really enjoying it. I don't want the group to break up.

The DM can just make a ruling, but neither person would look kindly on that. Malak's player may just storm off. So I would like to see if there is something I can do before it get's to that point. Any advice would be welcome.

Segev
2017-01-17, 11:03 AM
First off, it's implied but I want to check: are the two players "okay" with this, or are they expressing OOC irritation through IC action (or having IC irritation spill over into OOC ire)?

Maglubiyet
2017-01-17, 11:10 AM
I don't imagine that many liches are sympathetic to (or even aware of) others' feelings. And for a barbarian, his honor may be all he has. IC the conflict seems justified.

If the conflict has the potential to break the group up, though, maybe it's something best handled "off screen".

DM: "The two of you duel it out and, in the end, honor is satisfied. Now...back to the adventure."

We are left to ponder what really happened and each can assign the scenario that works best for themselves.

Stryyke
2017-01-17, 11:12 AM
First off, it's implied but I want to check: are the two players "okay" with this, or are they expressing OOC irritation through IC action (or having IC irritation spill over into OOC ire)?

Good Question. I'm not in either person's head, so I can't answer for sure. But I think that the line between IC and OOC is getting blurred a bit. Chikoon's player was complaining that Malak isn't useful enough, and Malak's player is complaining about Chikoon not being useful. From the most objective viewpoint I can maintain, I feel they have both been useful in different ways.

I don't imagine that many liches are sympathetic to (or even aware of) others' feelings. And for a barbarian, his honor may be all he has. IC the conflict seems justified.

If the conflict has the potential to break the group up, though, maybe it's something best handled "off screen".

I agree that IC the conflict is justified, but I am very concerned that it may negatively impact the group. I think, though, that any conflict that actually arises would be problematic long term. Malak's player is already getting all excited about doing a prolonged war between the two. The two players aren't even civil to each other sometimes, so It has me worried.

Segev
2017-01-17, 11:15 AM
Good Question. I'm not in either person's head, so I can't answer for sure. But I think that the line between IC and OOC is getting blurred a bit. Chikoon's player was complaining that Malak isn't useful enough, and Malak's player is complaining about Chikoon not being useful. From the most objective viewpoint I can maintain, I feel they have both been useful in different ways.

Then my advice is to get them together to discuss this away from the game, out of character. Make sure they're both on the same page. If there is animosity on either side, it needs to be dealt with. They need to be convinced to do this as friends who happen to be playing opposite sides in a game for this moment, and who don't want either removed from the game (unless they're really, truly okay with one or both replacing their PCs, and won't hold it against the other if it's theirs that goes). If they can't, then they need to work it out OOC, and possibly drop the fight IC.

John Longarrow
2017-01-17, 09:14 PM
Malak's player is already getting all excited about doing a prolonged war between the two. The two players aren't even civil to each other sometimes, so It has me worried.

Step 1) Talk to the DM and the rest of the group about this. It sounds like OOC behavior that is not good for the group.

Step 2) Once everyone else is on the same page, address BOTH players at the same time. Let them know this is interfering with other's enjoyment.

Step 3) Hopefully both will realize that they should not put their own enjoyment before everyone else's. If one or both can't accept that, your group should decide if one or both won't be staying with your group.

The IC part is pretty easy. Its the OOC part that needs to be fixed before you work on anything else.

RazorChain
2017-01-17, 09:53 PM
My advice: Bring some popcorn

Jay R
2017-01-18, 12:10 PM
If I were the DM, I would have a Malak attacked by something that could kill him quickly, giving Chikoon the opportunity to risk his life saving him. That would let Malak admit that Chikoon is obviously brave.

Chikoon is obviously going to hit somebody over this. It's either Malak or Malak's enemy, and one of those is better for the group.

[And if Chikoon doesn't save him, or Malak doesn't back down afterward? Not my problem. I can give them an opportunity to restore the party, but I can't make them do it.]

Stryyke
2017-01-18, 03:06 PM
If I were the DM, I would have a Malak attacked by something that could kill him quickly, giving Chikoon the opportunity to risk his life saving him. That would let Malak admit that Chikoon is obviously brave.

Chikoon is obviously going to hit somebody over this. It's either Malak or Malak's enemy, and one of those is better for the group.

[And if Chikoon doesn't save him, or Malak doesn't back down afterward? Not my problem. I can give them an opportunity to restore the party, but I can't make them do it.]

Not a bad idea. I'll run it by the DM.

daniel_ream
2017-01-18, 04:29 PM
If I were the DM, I would have a Malak attacked by something[...]

You can't solve OOC problems with IC solutions. This is pretty clearly an OOC problem.

Freed
2017-01-18, 04:54 PM
I would tell Chikoon that it would be better to humiliate the lich than to kill him. If the lich runs from Chikoon the lich has to admit that Chikoon is braver, the two still fight (As Chikoon wanted), but nobody is killed and the situation is resolevd.
P.S. Convince the lich not to kill Chikoon, and tell him either that Chikoon is affected magically and can't think straight so he should not be punished, or that in his culture calling someone a coward is equivalent to challenging them to a fight and Chikoon is just complying. If the lich wins, Chikoon will be upset, but nobody dies.

Endarire
2017-01-19, 12:28 AM
How do you handle this Lich fleeing when a Lich normally has a fear aura?

NichG
2017-01-19, 01:32 AM
Get all the players together, then ask both of the involved players OOC 'what do you see the game being like going forward, following your conflict here? What will you do if you win? What will you do if you lose?'. Point being, to enforce the point that whatever happens IC, the players have to make sure its something they can get along with eachother about OOC afterwards no matter what the result. Right now they may not be thinking at all 'what will the other player do if I win' but instead are just thinking 'I've gotta win!', so hopefully this conversation will shake that loose a bit.