PDA

View Full Version : A Woman Defended Me At The Pizza Place

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-17, 03:11 PM
Today I went to the place place for lunch. I went to the cashier and I said I want two slices of vegetable pizza to go. And the cashier ask you want the two pizza special. And I said no I want the two slices of vegetable pizza please. He ask again repeatedly and said 5.50 please. Then the woman yelled and she said he want two slices of vegetable pizza. And he said that $6.00. Then the woman said don't jipped him because the way he is. The man ask what is he then. The woman said he's disabled. The man asked it this true. I said yes I got ADHD and Autism. The woman actually knew that I was disabled because of my social problems. She said that I work with disabled kids at my job I hate it when people try to take advantage to disabled people. I thank her for defending me because I feel like I was discriminated because of my disability and she said you're welcome sweety. I paid the $6.00. and got my two slices of vegetable pizza place a diet Coke and I left. There a few good people in the world and she one of them. :smile:

Aliquid
2017-01-17, 05:54 PM
I'm happy to hear that, but to be honest I'm having a bit of trouble following the story.

It looks like the guy at the pizza place told you $5.50, and then changed the price to $6.00 after being confronted by the lady... that sounds like the price got worse, not better.

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-17, 05:57 PM
I'm happy to hear that, but to be honest I'm having a bit of trouble following the story.

It looks like the guy at the pizza place told you $5.50, and then changed the price to $6.00 after being confronted by the lady... that sounds like the price got worse, not better.

That was the original price $6.00 for the two vegetable pizza slices. The $5.50 was the two pizza slices special.

lylsyly
2017-01-17, 06:12 PM
so the guy was going to give you the special, which would have saved you 50 cents.
nice of the lady to stand up for you, but ...

Anonymouswizard
2017-01-17, 06:27 PM
so the guy was going to give you the special, which would have saved you 50 cents.
nice of the lady to stand up for you, but ...

As someone with autism myself, I actually can see why I might not want to save money (especially if it's just 40p/50 cents). Maybe the two pizza slice deal didn't include vegetable pizza, just to pick the most obvious example (I do not want to go into routines and rituals here, it's a topic specific to each individual person and it affects me massively differently than with other autistic people I know).

Heck, if it came with a can/bottle of drink and I didn't have my bag on me (not that it's likely to happen, I feel uncomfortable without my bag) I might very well refuse a deal because I don't want to carry the drink with me. Maybe I'm not interested in whatever extras the offer gives and just want my darn pizza. Maybe there's some information here that we don't know about that affects it, anything's possible.

Aragehaor
2017-01-17, 06:27 PM
I believe i understand.

The 'Two pizza slice special' for one reason or another is not something that applied to 'two vegetable pizza slices' as a result, the actual misunderstanding was what kind of pizza Bartmanhomer actually wanted, rather then the price.

(so in short, the cashier didn't understand that he wanted vegetable pizza and tried to give him a different kind.)

Do correct me if I'm misreading this situation.

Edit: largely ninja'd it seems. Oh well.

Icewraith
2017-01-17, 06:29 PM
That was the original price $6.00 for the two vegetable pizza slices. The $5.50 was the two pizza slices special.

It sounds like the guy was trying to get you to order the two pizzas as a special, which cost $5.50 instead of $6.00. He was trying to save you $0.50, but if you order "two vegetable pizza slices" instead of ordering the special, technically you're telling him not to give you the special price.

The thing about retail places, especially food places, is that to eliminate any possible confusion over what the customer ordered, the employee will enter the order exactly as the customer ordered it. So if a place has a "3 tacos and 2 burritos meal for $4.00" but you go and order 3 tacos and 2 burritos (which is normally $5.00)- the cashier will usually say something like "do you want the 3 tacos and 2 burritos meal for only $4.00?" and you insist on ordering the food "a la carte" or individually, eventually the cashier will give up and just charge you $5.00.

It's very easy for someone who is distracted or has issues reading social cues to mistake the offer of a daily special that will save them money for the offer of a post-sale addon ("Would you like fries with that") that will cost them money.

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-17, 07:02 PM
It sounds like the guy was trying to get you to order the two pizzas as a special, which cost $5.50 instead of $6.00. He was trying to save you $0.50, but if you order "two vegetable pizza slices" instead of ordering the special, technically you're telling him not to give you the special price.

The thing about retail places, especially food places, is that to eliminate any possible confusion over what the customer ordered, the employee will enter the order exactly as the customer ordered it. So if a place has a "3 tacos and 2 burritos meal for $4.00" but you go and order 3 tacos and 2 burritos (which is normally $5.00)- the cashier will usually say something like "do you want the 3 tacos and 2 burritos meal for only $4.00?" and you insist on ordering the food "a la carte" or individually, eventually the cashier will give up and just charge you $5.00.

It's very easy for someone who is distracted or has issues reading social cues to mistake the offer of a daily special that will save them money for the offer of a post-sale addon ("Would you like fries with that") that will cost them money.

The thing is that I didn't want the two pizza special. I always buy the two vegetable pizza slices but my diet coke.

lio45
2017-01-17, 07:48 PM
My interpretation is also the same as Icewraith's, but right now there's no way to be sure until the following question is answered:

If Bartmanhomer had given him that $5.50 he was asking for, was he going to give him the two slices of veggie pizza he wanted?

It seems that 1 slice costs $3 while getting 2 slices gets you a slight "volume discount"... if you accept it.

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-17, 08:56 PM
My interpretation is also the same as Icewraith's, but right now there's no way to be sure until the following question is answered:

If Bartmanhomer had given him that $5.50 he was asking for, was he going to give him the two slices of veggie pizza he wanted?

It seems that 1 slice costs $3 while getting 2 slices gets you a slight "volume discount"... if you accept it.
I already said that I wasn't interested the two pizza special. And if you're going to make an argument for me getting the two veggie pizza slices and turning down for a measly discount, Don't waste your breath. What's done, it's done. Beside I rarely go to the pizza place anyway.

Kid Jake
2017-01-17, 09:01 PM
Don't get so defensive, you won! You got to overpay for pizza and a minimum wage cashier was lectured for trying to help out a customer, everyone's happy.

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-17, 09:04 PM
Don't get so defensive, you won! You got to overpay for pizza and a minimum wage cashier was lectured for trying to help out a customer, everyone's happy.

My apologies. I always took the wrong way when people try to turn a little thing into a big deal.

Kid Jake
2017-01-17, 09:11 PM
I agree, it's absolutely terrible when somebody takes some minor and innocuous situation that they don't fully understand and turns it into a major issue. :smallsmile:

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-17, 09:38 PM
I agree, it's absolutely terrible when somebody takes some minor and innocuous situation that they don't fully understand and turns it into a major issue. :smallsmile:

Well I'm sure glad you understand.

Razade
2017-01-17, 09:40 PM

Well, not the cashier. He's probably thinking "what the hell?".

Kid Jake
2017-01-17, 09:50 PM
Well, not the cashier. He's probably thinking "what the hell?".

Yeah, but who cares about that guy? The whole reason he gets paid the big bucks is to be held personally responsible for every perceived slight experienced by indignant customers.

rooster707
2017-01-17, 10:00 PM
Thank you, Kid Jake, for saying just about everything I was thinking so I don't have to. :smalltongue:

Kid Jake
2017-01-17, 10:03 PM
I mean, somebody has to stand up for the little guy. Right Bart? :smallsmile:

Peelee
2017-01-17, 10:03 PM
I already said that I wasn't interested the two pizza special.

If I may, I believe I can clear things up a bit.

You have said you did not want the two pizza special, but nobody here knows what the two pizza special is. Is it two slices of any pizza, such as the veggie pizza? Is it two slices of a specific pizza, so that you cannot choose veggie pizza? Is it two slices of pizza with a drink that you could not carry? Is it something that I haven't listed at all? We do not go to your pizza place, so we have no way of knowing.

Anyone here who is questioning what happened is basically saying, "can you tell us what the two pizza special is?"

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-17, 10:06 PM
If I may, I believe I can clear things up a bit.

You have said you did not want the two pizza special, but nobody here knows what the two pizza special is. Is it two slices of any pizza, such as the veggie pizza? Is it two slices of a specific pizza, so that you cannot choose veggie pizza? Is it two slices of pizza with a drink that you could not carry? Is it something that I haven't listed at all? We do not go to your pizza place, so we have no way of knowing.

Anyone here who is questioning what happened is basically saying, "can you tell us what the two pizza special is?"

The two pizza special is two slices of regular, plain pizza without a drink. Nothing special.

AtlanteanTroll
2017-01-17, 10:07 PM
My apologies. I always took the wrong way when people try to turn a little thing into a big deal.

Liking making a meaningless day-to-day interaction a thread?

Peelee
2017-01-17, 10:09 PM
The two pizza special is two slices of regular, plain pizza without a drink. Nothing special.

Awesome! So, now nobody can say that you overpaid for pizza, or the woman didn't really help. It was nice of her to speak up for you. I'm glad things worked out well!

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-17, 10:13 PM

Whatever. :annoyed:

T-Mick
2017-01-17, 10:15 PM

8bithomer is the best thing to happen to this forum.

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-17, 10:17 PM
I mean, somebody has to stand up for the little guy. Right Bart? :smallsmile:

Right Kid Jake. :smile:

Kid Jake
2017-01-17, 10:18 PM
Right Kid Jake. :smile:

This guy gets it. :smallbiggrin:

Vinyadan
2017-01-18, 09:39 AM
Am I the only one who is routinely confronted with personnel that does stuff wrong? Giving you something instead of something else, not doing their job at all, pretending not to be there, ignoring the bell used to call for service while badly pretending to be doing something else, mixing up with payment, misusing your credit card, deliberately withholding information, giving wrong or false information, not correcting their mistakes when notified?

The costumer isn't always right, but the low pay doesn't mean that the worker is a good worker, or that good workers don't screw up occasionally, or that there aren't bad workers around.

veti
2017-01-18, 03:01 PM
Am I the only one who is routinely confronted with personnel that does stuff wrong? Giving you something instead of something else, not doing their job at all, pretending not to be there, ignoring the bell used to call for service while badly pretending to be doing something else, mixing up with payment, misusing your credit card, deliberately withholding information, giving wrong or false information, not correcting their mistakes when notified?

Yes. Yes, you are. Everyone else is getting excellent service all the time, it's just you. Have you tried wearing a false nose?

Well, maybe not all the time. But that sort of stuff happening "routinely" doesn't sound like anything I recognise.

Tvtyrant
2017-01-18, 03:13 PM

The costumer isn't always right, but the low pay doesn't mean that the worker is a good worker, or that good workers don't screw up occasionally, or that there aren't bad workers around.
I hate to be the one to break it to you. Often they actually aren't there, or they are actually doing something more important. We have these legally mandated things called lunches, for instance, during which you are not on the clock and legally cannot do work.

Or are mopping, or scrubbing baseboards, or changing lightbulbs, or are filing essential paperwork, or taking out the trash.

Peelee
2017-01-18, 03:18 PM
I hate to be the one to break it to you. Often they actually aren't there, or they are actually doing something more important. We have these legally mandated things called lunches, for instance, during which you are not on the clock and legally cannot do work.

Or are mopping, or scrubbing baseboards, or changing lightbulbs, or are filing essential paperwork, or taking out the trash.

Even out in the boonies, there's always been more than one person working at a time. If Al is on lunch, that's fine, Bob ain't. Burker King isn't gonna close for an hour, they're gonna stagger the breaks. Same for mopping, trash, or other non-counter jobs.

And I've never known a non-manager employee to do any essential paperwork.

Vinyadan
2017-01-18, 04:05 PM

Or maybe I actually know what I am talking about? One example I can make is this: I once needed some wooden boards of a certain size. So I went to a bricolage store, where there are some boards which are sold with self-service, and there also is a sawing post, where you can get lighter boards of the size you want. So I go there and ring the bell. There is a worker nearby, who apparently is doing something with the stuff on the shelves. I say apparently, because he actually isn't doing anything: he is just turning the same three articles and taking a look at them over and over. Since I don't leave, he finally goes behind the bar, without saying a word and giving me the stink eye. I tell him what I need, and he tells me to go fetch one of the self-service boards. So I take a look, and there's nothing of the size I need. So I get back there and tell him that the stuff isn't there, and so he finally does his job, which consists in sawing boards the size and kind required by the costumer. When I was leaving, the manager explained that the worker effectively hadn't been doing his job. (I had been there before and went there again later to get boards, and never met this guy again, so I guess he was sent off elsewhere or left home).

Another good example is a postman we had around for a while. He was supposed to stay here forever, but he worked so badly, throwing post on the pavement instead of putting it in the mailbox, and carelessly delivering to the wrong recipients, that he was sent away. He also was a discourteous jerk in general, treating people like crap.

This is what I call a bad worker. You seem to think I'd call a bad worker a barman who has me wait because he's washing used glasses; I do not call this washing barman a bad worker, because it would make no sense. But are there bad barmen? Yes, there totally are, although they are somewhat difficult to tell apart from good barmen screwing up occasionally, if you aren't used to go to that bar. For example, a barman serving stuff after having thrown away the trash, who wears white gloves to throw the trash away, and you finally notice that he doesn't take the gloves off before serving his customers (true story).

As I said, the customer isn't always right, but the worker also isn't perfect, and some workers honestly stink. I actually am a very polite customer, since I think that escalating is useless in most cases, and the only time I actually got angry was when the reception of the place I lived in allowed people to enter my room without informing me or asking for my permission (as they should have per contract).

Armok
2017-01-20, 03:09 PM
Putting aside whether or not it would have been a better deal, from my personal experience I can say that it is genuinely incredibly insulting for someone to say to my face "No no, you want this." And then keep pushing it when you say "No, actually, that's not what I want..."

I myself have ADD and a mild speech impediment, and it is frustrating to no end how people jump to the conclusion that they're talking to a subhuman idiot who can't make their own decisions just because I have trouble focusing, remembering things, or structuring a sentence sometimes. It's like, no, I'm actually kind of a grown person who can make their own decisions without your "help".

I'm glad somebody stuck up for you, cause frankly, there's not enough respect for people like us going around on the "treating us like a human frikkin' being level." :smallmad:

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-20, 03:14 PM
Putting aside whether or not it would have been a better deal, from my personal experience I can say that it is genuinely incredibly insulting for someone to say to my face "No no, you want this." And then keep pushing it when you say "No, actually, that's not what I want..."

I myself have ADD and a mild speech impediment, and it is frustrating to no end how people jump to the conclusion that they're talking to a subhuman idiot who can't make their own decisions just because I have trouble focusing, remembering things, or structuring a sentence sometimes. It's like, no, I'm actually kind of a grown person who can make their own decisions without your "help".

I'm glad somebody stuck up for you, cause frankly, there's not enough respect for people like us going around on the "treating us like a human frikkin' being level." :smallmad:

Thank you. I think that was very discriminating all because of my disability. I'm just glad you see it that way. :mad:

Armok
2017-01-20, 03:22 PM
Thank you. I think that was very discriminating all because of my disability. I'm just glad you see it that way. :mad:

It all comes down to respecting someone as their own person regardless of how they function, which sadly isn't something a lot of people do.

Delicious Taffy
2017-01-20, 03:25 PM
$6.00 for two slices of pizza? I can get a whole pie for that price.

Liquor Box
2017-01-20, 03:38 PM
Kid Jake's contribution to this thread is excellent.

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-20, 03:40 PM
It all comes down to respecting someone as their own person regardless of how they function, which sadly isn't something a lot of people do.

Yeah it still a sad case of his society still judges people.

Jon_Dahl
2017-01-20, 04:48 PM
I'm happy for you, bro.

I looked over my gif collection to find something that might be suitably funny to cheer you up after your mistreatment at the pizza place. Here you go, I hope it will make you laugh:
http://i.imgur.com/rJgXG.gif

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-20, 04:56 PM
OMG that's so funny and wrong at the same time!

Peelee
2017-01-20, 05:46 PM
$6.00 for two slices of pizza? I can get a whole pie for that price.

Sam's and CostCo are awesome, yes.

lylsyly
2017-01-21, 10:33 AM
I'm happy for you, bro.

I looked over my gif collection to find something that might be suitably funny to cheer you up after your mistreatment at the pizza place. Here you go, I hope it will make you laugh:

That's ... that's ... that's ... so funny.

Jon_Dahl
2017-01-21, 11:00 AM
That's ... that's ... that's ... so funny.

ADHD, autism, speech impediment and now stuttering. This thread is full of disorders of all kinds.

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-22, 03:11 PM
Just to let you know. I've been going to the same pizza place all week and there were no problems at all. :smile:

Dorath
2017-01-22, 03:33 PM
The cashier was offering a worse deal.

5.50 - two slices, no drink
6.00 - two slices, with drink

I know which one I'd take.

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-22, 03:50 PM

Let me guess the 5.50?

SaintRidley
2017-01-22, 04:57 PM

Which I would take would entirely depend on if I want a drink or not. Usually not.

Aliquid
2017-01-22, 06:06 PM
Just to let you know. I've been going to the same pizza place all week and there were no problems at all. :smile:
With the same person working there as before?

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-22, 06:11 PM
With the same person working there as before?

Yeah. But he didn't give me any issues for the rest of the week.

Dorath
2017-01-22, 10:08 PM
Let me guess the 5.50?

If I'm ordering pizza, I'm going to be thirsty.

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-22, 10:10 PM
If I'm ordering pizza, I'm going to be thirsty.

Good. It's a better choice even if it's 0.50¢ more.

Anonymouswizard
2017-01-23, 05:04 AM
Which I would take would entirely depend on if I want a drink or not. Usually not.

In my case it also depends on the kind of drink. If it was a cup I might leave it off I wasn't thirsty, a can or a bottle I can take away if always nab.

danzibr
2017-01-23, 10:34 AM
Huh. So $5.50 for 2 regular cheese slices and a drink, or $6.00 for 2 veggie slices and a drink? And he was trying to push the former option? Weird. Maybe he had a quota to fill or something. I remember I worked at Gordman's and we'd get a bonus for every 100 donations we got (like, people could give $1 to get their name on a paper hand, and we'd hang the hands up).

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-23, 10:38 AM
Huh. So $5.50 for 2 regular cheese slices and a drink, or $6.00 for 2 veggie slices and a drink? And he was trying to push the former option? Weird. Maybe he had a quota to fill or something. I remember I worked at Gordman's and we'd get a bonus for every 100 donations we got (like, people could give $1 to get their name on a paper hand, and we'd hang the hands up).

$5.50 was two regular chesse slices with no drink.

danzibr
2017-01-23, 11:35 AM
Oh. Yeah, man, that's awful awful awful.

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-23, 11:39 AM
Oh. Yeah, man, that's awful awful awful.

Yeah the reason why I went to the pizza place is that their were no lunch at my job the whole week. If anybody ask the foods are very healthy and it cost $2.00. :smile:

veti
2017-01-23, 12:21 PM

How is that a "special"? Special usually implies that the items cost less than if you bought them individually.

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-23, 12:25 PM
How is that a "special"? Special usually implies that the items cost less than if you bought them individually.

Don't ask me why is that a special. That's what the pizza place selling it. :confused:

danzibr
2017-01-23, 01:58 PM
Uhh.... ya got me there.

I wonder how I would've responded.

Me: "I'd like two sausage slices and a Mt Dew" (not that I'd drink Mt Dew, but it's more reasonable than ordering a Coke).
Dude: "Would you like our special of two cheese slices for $5.50?"
Me: "Nope."
Dude: "Are you suuuuuuuure you wouldn't like our special?"
Me: "Yup."
Dude: "Are you really, really sure?"
Me: "Yup."
Dude: "I think what you want is the special."
Me: "Nope, two sausage slices and a Mt Dew."
Dude: "Alright, I'm ringing you up for the special, is that correct?"

I think at this point I'd probably get irritated. Usually it takes a lot to get to me.

Fawkes
2017-01-23, 02:20 PM
Me: "I'd like two sausage slices and a Mt Dew" (not that I'd drink Mt Dew, but it's more reasonable than ordering a Coke).

At the risk of making this thread even sillier, I really want to know how you determine the relative reasonableness of various soft drinks.

Peelee
2017-01-23, 02:25 PM
At the risk of making this thread even sillier, I really want to know how you determine the relative reasonableness of various soft drinks.

More letters = more reasonable.

Cuthalion
2017-01-23, 03:32 PM

5.50 for a drink and two cheese slices

Or 6.00 for two vegetable slices and a drink

Assuming they're lowering the total price .50 c to make it a special?

Razade
2017-01-23, 03:37 PM
5.50 for a drink and two cheese slices

Or 6.00 for two vegetable slices and a drink

Assuming they're lowering the total price .50 c to make it a special?

The 5.50 didn't have a drink. Apparently. We only have Homer's word that that's the case but why omit that detail.

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-23, 04:08 PM
The 5.50 didn't have a drink. Apparently. We only have Homer's word that that's the case but why omit that detail.

Exactly the 5.50 was two orindary plain cheese pizza without a drink. Why are they still saying that the 5.50 also including a drink?

Cuthalion
2017-01-23, 04:21 PM
Exactly the 5.50 was two orindary plain cheese pizza without a drink. Why are they still saying that the 5.50 also including a drink?

do two vegetable slices cost 6.00 plus a drink which costs extra?

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-23, 04:26 PM
do two vegetable slices cost 6.00 plus a drink which costs extra?

I don't know what you mean by that. By I could give you the math:

1 slice of vegetable pizza cost $2.50¢

Times 2 slices of vegetable pizza is $5.00

Add a can of Diet coke cost $1.00

Put it all together which makes it $6.00.

You see how math is fun?! :smile:

Peelee
2017-01-23, 04:41 PM

Hmmm. What's the cost of a single slice of cheese pizza? It sounds like that "special" is a bad deal.

Fawkes
2017-01-23, 04:49 PM

Because that information was not included in the OP and is easy to miss when it comes out later.

This is a very silly thread about a very small personal incident that got derailed very quickly by getting caught up on poorly communicated details.

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-23, 05:06 PM
Hmmm. What's the cost of a single slice of cheese pizza? It sounds like that "special" is a bad deal.

I'm not sure because I don't buy regular cheese pizza.

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-23, 05:17 PM
Because that information was not included in the OP and is easy to miss when it comes out later.

This is a very silly thread about a very small personal incident that got derailed very quickly by getting caught up on poorly communicated details.

Well my apologies if I wasn't being any clearer earlier.

Liquor Box
2017-01-23, 05:45 PM

$2 each. But why would you want that when you could have the special - 2 slices for $5.50?

Rynjin
2017-01-23, 05:56 PM

To be frank, if you're routinely "confronted with people who do stuff wrong" like ignore you, it's probably because YOU'RE the *******.

My brother constantly complains when we get stuff from, say, Five Guys and he orders his burger and everybody else' burgers come out looking beautiful and his got dropped in the bottom of the bag and smushed, upside down.

This is because when he orders something he always mumbles just a bit and when the person asks him to repeat something, or reads out his order to clarify he caught it, he gets really aggressive sounding. I tell him this, but he doesn't believe me. And he keeps getting squished burgers.

People in the food service industry or retail don't get paid much. They certainly don't get paid enough to give 110% to people who see them as servants, or "personnel" first and people second.

Aliquid
2017-01-24, 12:17 AM
More letters = more reasonable.
You could go to Finland and get: Vadelmalimonadi
Or to Hungary and get: Győr-Sopron Megyei Szíkvíz

And then there is Tab

Peelee
2017-01-24, 12:58 AM
You could go to Finland and get: Vadelmalimonadi
Or to Hungary and get: Győr-Sopron Megyei Szíkvíz

And then there is Tab

I think that perfectly sums up Tab.

Chen
2017-01-24, 09:42 AM

Yeah either the restaurant is completely inept since their special is two plain pizza slices for a higher price than two non plain slices or you've misunderstood something about the special. Or something like the vegetable pizza has no cheese or some other lesser toppings on it than the regular cheese slices. Im assuming vegetable pizza is the same as plain cheese but with added vegetables.

Anonymouswizard
2017-01-24, 10:09 AM

I was assuming it included a drink, but even then it's horrible to push it when someone hasn't ordered plain pizza. As it is it just astounds me.

Let's say that, for some reason, I'm at a pizza place for lunch. I can be reasonably certain that they do plain cheese and tomato pizza, and so if I want that I'll ask for it. But if I decide to buy two slices of seafood pizza, then unless you have a deal that includes seafood pizza then you can assume I'm not interested in your deals.

I suspect that there might be slightly more to this deal, but the incompetence striking. I personally make an attempt to always be polite when ordering food, speaking in a relatively clear voice (I have a minor speech problem that cause me to speak slowly, so it pays to avoid confusion) and saying thank you when I get my order or no thank you when I'm offered a special I don't want. I can understand offering the special once or being annoyed because you've been on shift for a while, so I won't get annoyed at being asked to repeat what I said, but the sheer audacity of 'so I'm putting you down for the special' astounds me.

EDIT: don't forget, diet drinks are always more reasonable.

danzibr
2017-01-25, 06:40 PM
Haha, I meant that I personally would order Mt Dew over Coke.

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-25, 07:06 PM
Yeah either the restaurant is completely inept since their special is two plain pizza slices for a higher price than two non plain slices or you've misunderstood something about the special. Or something like the vegetable pizza has no cheese or some other lesser toppings on it than the regular cheese slices. Im assuming vegetable pizza is the same as plain cheese but with added vegetables.

I didn't misunderstood anything. I know what I ordered. :annoyed:

eggynack
2017-01-25, 07:12 PM
I didn't misunderstood anything. I know what I ordered. :annoyed:
You can know what you ordered and still not know what you didn't order. I think people, including me, are now mostly interested in working through this pizza place's weird specials menu through the strange lens of kinda vague forum posts about it.

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-25, 07:27 PM
You can know what you ordered and still not know what you didn't order. I think people, including me, are now mostly interested in working through this pizza place's weird specials menu through the strange lens of kinda vague forum posts about it.

What's so weird about it? Explain.

Keltest
2017-01-25, 07:29 PM
What's so weird about it? Explain.

As far as we have been able to understand, the special is strictly a worse deal. You pay more for the same amount of pizza, no extra toppings, and no drink or any other side. Since this is such an obvious rip off (pay more for less!), most of us are assuming that you either misunderstood it or communicated it poorly.

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-25, 07:39 PM
As far as we have been able to understand, the special is strictly a worse deal. You pay more for the same amount of pizza, no extra toppings, and no drink or any other side. Since this is such an obvious rip off (pay more for less!), most of us are assuming that you either misunderstood it or communicated it poorly.

The cashier is the one with the communication problem and I explain very clearly that I didn't want the two pizza special, he knew that I speak proper English so it was his fault, not mine. So don't blame me if you think that I have to pay $6.00 instead of $5.50. Which is barely a deal at all. :mad:

Razade
2017-01-25, 07:45 PM
Yeah. Liquor Box (who I have no idea how they know the price of the pizza at his unnamed pizza place) said that a slice of cheese pizza is two dollars. Which I think everyone is going off of but I don't think I've seen anyone ask Liquor Box how they know that. We don't know where Homer is getting his pizza so there's no way of knowing the price from anyone but Homer. But if it is two dollars (and I doubt that it is because for a third time...Liquor Box can't have even a passing idea of the price) makes the Two Slices of Pizza, NO DRINK (as you claim Homer) a worse deal than just buying two slices of pizza and a drink. Because...we're going to get into some SERIOUS MATH here.

One slice of Cheese Pizza (2 Dollars) + One slice of Cheese Pizza (2 Dollars) = 2 slices of Cheese Pizza (4 Dollars)

The deal is two slices of pizza (cheese only apparently) with no drink for 5.50.

That is a buck fifty more for the exact same thing. That's not a special, that's a waste of time. Even if you buy a drink (usually around a dollar fifty but no idea at this establishment) you're getting a better or equal deal because at least you get a drink.

So.

Either Bartmanhomer is misrepresenting the deal (we call this the likely scenario)

The pizza shop wants to lose money on stupid deals no one will take (this is the less likely option because Bartmanhomer lives in or around NYC and businesses don't stay in business long with crappy practices like this)

Aliens have hijacked our brains to care to what ever degree we care to post in this thread (this is a certainty considering all the posts)

Keltest
2017-01-25, 08:48 PM
The cashier is the one with the communication problem and I explain very clearly that I didn't want the two pizza special, he knew that I speak proper English so it was his fault, not mine. So don't blame me if you think that I have to pay $6.00 instead of $5.50. Which is barely a deal at all. :mad:

Its not a deal at all, which is why people are confused. Its strictly worse.

Razade
2017-01-25, 08:52 PM
Its not a deal at all, which is why people are confused. Its strictly worse.

No, don't you see. It's better because Bartmanhomer was defended at the pizza place.

Fawkes
2017-01-25, 10:47 PM
Oh my god why is this thread still continuing

Bartmanhomer just name the pizza place so they can look up the special and stop this madness

Razade
2017-01-25, 10:56 PM
Oh my god why is this thread still continuing

Bartmanhomer just name the pizza place so they can look up the special and stop this madness

Fawkes. Bartmanhomer didn't want the 5.50 special ok? Stop trying to convince of something that's already happened.

Jon_Dahl
2017-01-26, 01:12 AM
The special is a metaphor. Just think about it for a minute.

Fawkes
2017-01-26, 02:00 AM
Fawkes. Bartmanhomer didn't want the 5.50 special ok? Stop trying to convince of something that's already happened.

Yes, I know. Everyone knows. Everyone knows he didn't want the special.

But for some reason the special is still up for debate, despite being completely inconsequential.

This thread is a trash fire and needs to be condemned.

Murk
2017-01-26, 03:02 AM

The pizza special resembles adulthood, the two veggie slices childhood. Someone in a position of authority (the cashier) forces you to let go of your fun childhood (veggie slices) for a crappy yet inevitable deal (pizza special), even though you clearly said you don't want to - just like growing up, you end up paying more and getting less. The only way to escape the pizza special/growing up is if a parental figure is willing to take you under her wings and allow you to stay young and fun.

SaintRidley
2017-01-26, 03:16 AM
The pizza special resembles adulthood, the two veggie slices childhood. Someone in a position of authority (the cashier) forces you to let go of your fun childhood (veggie slices) for a crappy yet inevitable deal (pizza special), even though you clearly said you don't want to - just like growing up, you end up paying more and getting less. The only way to escape the pizza special/growing up is if a parental figure is willing to take you under her wings and allow you to stay young and fun.

Nah. It's a metaphor for the soul-sucking blandness of capitalism. We all need to learn at the knee of a good teacher, who can guide our instinctual distaste for such a cruel and flattening system that crushes all individuality in the pursuit of profit, to give our voice strength as we stand up against the system. And maybe smash some windows and punch a fascist. But first pizza - you need nutrients to do those other things.

eggynack
2017-01-26, 03:58 AM
Yes, I know. Everyone knows. Everyone knows he didn't want the special.

But for some reason the special is still up for debate, despite being completely inconsequential.

This thread is a trash fire and needs to be condemned.
Nah, this thread is deep as hell. Okay, surface level, the story we're presented with is that OP wants pizza in one format, pizza fellow thinks he should go with a combo that doesn't fit the OP's needs, and lady steps in to reassert the power of personal decision making. But, without knowledge of what the combo is, the roles of the people in this story get weirdly murky. Maybe the combo actually matched up really well to the OP's desires, and the pizza fellow was being super friendly by offering a discount, and in this scenario, maybe helpful lady was just trying to get the line moving, and the OP was blinding himself to the pizza facts. Maybe the combo is a normal good deal, not as described but still not suited to the OP's needs, and everything went as stated. Maybe the combo is actually exactly as described, with a weird loss of value compared to anything else, and the pizza fellow has been pushing the combo all day as some kinda scam, with the lady not so much supporting the OP in their decision making as supporting him against a strange pizza con.

That last one probably didn't happen though, because the combo as described isn't plausible, but if this element of the story isn't plausible, how were the rest of the events misread? The end result is this tiny interaction between three people, where a lot of the possibility space can be removed through the sharing of the objective fact of the combo's nature, and our only window into this interaction is this kinda unreliable narrator who doesn't seem to get how crazy this combo sounds. Clearly some sort of misunderstanding happened, but who misunderstood whom? It all hinges on this ludicrous detail that one would expect to be inconsequential, the combo menu at this pizza place that the OP frequents. Interesting stuff, I think.

Cozzer
2017-01-26, 05:55 AM
I state in red that the value of the combo wasn't a prime number. Without pizza, you can't see the truth.

Anonymouswizard
2017-01-26, 07:26 AM
There is no special, it is you that spends.

Don't mind me, I just come here when I need a confusing.

Chen
2017-01-26, 08:13 AM
So don't blame me if you think that I have to pay $6.00 instead of $5.50. Which is barely a deal at all. :mad:

It's statements like this that confuse people. It's not barely a deal, its not a deal at all. You stated $2.50 for veggie pizza + $1 for drink. Ignoring the drink means $5 for 2 veggie pizza. The special is $5.50 for 2 plain pizza. That's clearly a worse deal, even if plain pizza and veggie pizza cost the same (plain should be cheaper). The only way it makes it a deal is if, for some reason, plain pizza is MORE expensive than veggie pizza. Which would still be insane from a restaurant point of view.

Y.T.
2017-01-26, 08:27 AM
I wonder if people had been half as interested if this had been about burgers. Theres something about pizza that makes this thread interesting. Its all the things, and then pizza.

Ursus the Grim
2017-01-26, 08:29 AM
I state in red that the value of the combo wasn't a prime number. Without pizza, you can't see the truth.

Mod alert mod alert!

:smalltongue:

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-26, 08:39 AM
It's statements like this that confuse people. It's not barely a deal, its not a deal at all. You stated $2.50 for veggie pizza + $1 for drink. Ignoring the drink means $5 for 2 veggie pizza. The special is $5.50 for 2 plain pizza. That's clearly a worse deal, even if plain pizza and veggie pizza cost the same (plain should be cheaper). The only way it makes it a deal is if, for some reason, plain pizza is MORE expensive than veggie pizza. Which would still be insane from a restaurant point of view.

How is that confusing? I know what I ordered and that's that. Why are we even still debating about this anyway? :furious:

Keltest
2017-01-26, 08:46 AM
How is that confusing? I know what I ordered and that's that. Why are we even still debating about this anyway? :furious:

What you ordered is not in question. But from what you've described, the pizza place is apparently trying to commit business suicide.

A deal is typically designed to be less expensive than its component parts. However from what you have said, the special in question is more expensive than its component parts, so people are actually losing money by getting the special rather than just ordering two slices of pizza. From a business perspective, that is a great way to put off customers and make sure people wont buy your special.

Chen
2017-01-26, 08:48 AM

What you ordered isn't confusing. What you're telling us is. By saying "it's barely a deal" you're implying it is still at least SOME sort of deal. Whereas with the other things you've told us, it's in fact NOT a deal at all. And hence people getting confused by what you're telling us because it isn't consistent.

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-26, 09:04 AM
What you ordered isn't confusing. What you're telling us is. By saying "it's barely a deal" you're implying it is still at least SOME sort of deal. Whereas with the other things you've told us, it's in fact NOT a deal at all. And hence people getting confused by what you're telling us because it isn't consistent.
What I meant was barely a deal it was the special was $5.50 and the two vegetable pizza and soda cost $6.00. So that what I meant it was barely a deal.

Keltest
2017-01-26, 09:13 AM
What I meant was barely a deal it was the special was $5.50 and the two vegetable pizza and soda cost $6.00. So that what I meant it was barely a deal.

Ok, I think I understand. The special was for 2 cheese slices and a drink. You wanted vegetable slices, so declined the deal. The pizza guy, either through ignorance or malice, tried to put you down for the 2 cheese slice special, which you did not want. Eventually communication happened, you got your food, and left.

What was unclear (to me, at least) was that the special included the drink. That information got lost somewhere in the depths of the thread.

Just to confirm, but the special was for cheese slices, right?

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-26, 09:20 AM
Ok, I think I understand. The special was for 2 cheese slices and a drink. You wanted vegetable slices, so declined the deal. The pizza guy, either through ignorance or malice, tried to put you down for the 2 cheese slice special, which you did not want. Eventually communication happened, you got your food, and left.

What was unclear (to me, at least) was that the special included the drink. That information got lost somewhere in the depths of the thread.

Just to confirm, but the special was for cheese slices, right?

Yes it was two regular cheese pizza slices without the soda.

Keltest
2017-01-26, 09:26 AM
Yes it was two regular cheese pizza slices without the soda.

Without the soda? So the special did not include a drink?

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-26, 09:29 AM
Without the soda? So the special did not include a drink?

No. There was no drink of any kind.

Keltest
2017-01-26, 09:31 AM
No. There was no drink of any kind.

Ok. Lets see if I have it now.

One slice of pizza, either cheese or vegetable topping, is $2.50

One drink is $1.00

The special for two slices of pizza and no drink is $5.50?

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-26, 09:41 AM
Ok. Lets see if I have it now.

One slice of pizza, either cheese or vegetable topping, is $2.50

One drink is $1.00

The special for two slices of pizza and no drink is $5.50?

Yes, yes, yes! You're correct. :smile:

Keltest
2017-01-26, 09:54 AM

Ok. Then the reason people are getting confused is because that 'deal" is strictly worse than buying its component parts. They were absolutely trying to rip you off.

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-26, 10:07 AM
Ok. Then the reason people are getting confused is because that 'deal" is strictly worse than buying its component parts. They were absolutely trying to rip you off.

Yes I was very aware of that and I didn't buy the two pizza special.

Murk
2017-01-26, 10:21 AM
Did the friendly lady take the pizza deal?

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-26, 10:46 AM
Did the friendly lady take the pizza deal?

No she didn't. She was in a hurry and left the pizza place.

veti
2017-01-26, 11:07 AM

I'm sorry, but that interpretation of "special" makes no sense. I mean, not from anyone's point of view.

If only this restaurant had a website.

Cuthalion
2017-01-26, 11:19 AM
This thread had a happy ending!

I can, then, say, good for the lady to defend you there. I wish there were more people like her. :smallsmile:

Chen
2017-01-26, 11:30 AM

The problem I have with that is that it's not like its a complicated order here. I mean why would you try to rip someone off in that manner?Bartman here asked for twice slices of pizza of one type AND a drink, and the clerk responded by offering a special of two different slices and no drink. How does that make any sense? I suppose the guy may be a moron or maybe he assumes the majority of the clientel don't know how to do math, but otherwise its a ridiculous attempt to even try and rip someone off in that manner.

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-26, 11:43 AM
This thread had a happy ending!

I can, then, say, good for the lady to defend you there. I wish there were more people like her. :smallsmile:

Thank you. I'm glad that she did.:smile:

lio45
2017-01-26, 12:36 PM

If you have a chance to go to a McDonald's location, pay attention to the price of their new Big Mac with Bacon as a standalone item versus the combo.

I rarely eat junk, but was there the other say and it struck me - the gap is so large that, using their self-ordering station, I did confirm that ordering that burger + medium fries + medium soft drink each individually saves you about $2 with tax than getting that burger as a medium combo.

lio45
2017-01-26, 12:40 PM

Unless... there's a severe shortage of pizza in that neighborhood at the moment, so the resource is getting rationed, you have an allocation of one slice per customer (and your name/address are crossed off the list so you can't come back for another transaction), but if you want to have TWO, then that comes at a premium.

Chromascope3D
2017-01-26, 12:44 PM
Would you pay 5.50 to have the trolley run over two slices of plain cheese, or 6.00 to have the trolley run over two veggie slices and a drink?

Murk
2017-01-26, 12:47 PM
If you have a chance to go to a McDonald's location, pay attention to the price of their new Big Mac with Bacon as a standalone item versus the combo.

I rarely eat junk, but was there the other say and it struck me - the gap is so large that, using their self-ordering station, I did confirm that ordering that burger + medium fries + medium soft drink each individually saves you about $2 with tax than getting that burger as a medium combo.

Really? I've only ever had it the other way around, where I only wanted a burger and a drink, but the combo was much cheaper than that, so by eating fries too I actually saved a dollar.
I guess the moral here is that fastfood economics are wonky.

(Also, just as a friendly heads-up: double posting is frowned upon in these regions)

Chen
2017-01-26, 01:44 PM
Really? I've only ever had it the other way around, where I only wanted a burger and a drink, but the combo was much cheaper than that, so by eating fries too I actually saved a dollar.
I guess the moral here is that fastfood economics are wonky.

(Also, just as a friendly heads-up: double posting is frowned upon in these regions)

Yeah very often the burger plus one part of the trio is more expensive than the trio. Looking briefly online I did see one article with prices mention 5.99 for the burger and 10.25 for the trio. That does seem like a much bigger gap than normal. Usually it's around a $2 gap which ends up making sense. There's a McDonalds in the bus terminus on my way home, I'll check today.

danzibr
2017-01-26, 01:49 PM

I enjoyed this perhaps more than I should have.

lio45
2017-01-26, 02:04 PM
Yeah very often the burger plus one part of the trio is more expensive than the trio. Looking briefly online I did see one article with prices mention 5.99 for the burger and 10.25 for the trio. That does seem like a much bigger gap than normal. Usually it's around a $2 gap which ends up making sense. There's a McDonalds in the bus terminus on my way home, I'll check today.

The burger was $5.99 and the trio was $11.48 as of last week at the McDonald's atop the hill on King Street East in Sherbrooke QC.

A normal Big Mac is $5 (so, the bacon adds a dollar, which is normal) but the normal Big Mac trio is something like ~$8 (a normal price - but then that extra bacon costs you $3! which isn't normal).

[Precision: that exclamation point expresses anger/surprise at that highway robbery, the bacon does not actually cost three factorial, which would be six. It's always been somewhat amusing to me that mathematically, if you want to exclaim "five!" you're actually saying a hundred and twenty.]

Y.T.
2017-01-26, 03:22 PM
Wait, so the woman left without buying anything?

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-26, 03:26 PM

No she didn't buy anything at all. She just left because I'm guessing she didn't like the service that the pizza place is running.

JeenLeen
2017-01-26, 03:51 PM
On combos sometimes being odd.
--
At Burger King, at least here where I live, it's cheaper to buy two 10-piece chicken nuggets than it is to buy the 20-piece. (I think something like $3 for two 10-piece, while $5 for a 20-piece.) From what I can tell, there wasn't sale going on.
I'm glad they weren't busy when I was there, since that gave me time to look over the menu, realize that oddity, and ask if it was correct or if I was misreading it. The clerk rather nicely said I was correct. From working in fast food previously, I reckon she was amused someone caught the cheaper way to order.

Since 'dollar menu' things now tend to be something like 1.00 to 1.59, I find it harder to tell if ordering a combo is cheaper than ordering its composite parts.

I also noticed at Sam's that, when ordering a pizza combo, the drink portion is something like 50 cents, while if you order a hot dog combo, the drink portion is something like 30 cents. (What I mean by 'drink portion' is the price of the drink above what buying the food item alone would be.) This is a little interesting to me since the hot dogs themselves are cheaper than pizza, so it incentivizes buying the cheaper item overall. (At least, it does for me, since I like getting the cheapest deal, even if the food isn't as tastey. Though their hot dogs are rather good, as hot dogs go.)

Also, where I work, they sell hot wings in our cafeteria-like place. It's cheaper to buy two 4-piece of wings than it is to buy a 7-piece.

Murk
2017-01-26, 03:58 PM

That's what surprised me too. I'm thinking the woman was in on it. What "it" is I'm not sure yet, but I sense a conspiracy. So far it reminds me of a good cop/bad cop routine.

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-26, 04:02 PM
That's what surprised me too. I'm thinking the woman was in on it. What "it" is I'm not sure yet, but I sense a conspiracy. So far it reminds me of a good cop/bad cop routine.

What's conspiracy?! Explain yourself, please I really do need to know. And please don't say that the pizza place is run by pizza aliens! :mad:

Razade
2017-01-26, 04:15 PM
What's conspiracy?! Explain yourself, please I really do need to know. And please don't say that the pizza place is run by pizza aliens! :mad:

The pizza place is run by aliens.

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-26, 04:33 PM
The pizza place is run by aliens.

I told you not to say that. :annoyed:

JeenLeen
2017-01-26, 04:40 PM
Technically, you said not to say they are pizza aliens, and Razade's statement is about generic aliens without description. Though I suppose either type managing one's pizza place is disturbing, though I would find pizza aliens serving me pizza more disturbing. :smallbiggrin:

And I'm guessing Murk was just joking. I could see the lady legitimately being upset at the service and not wanting to give the shop any money after that. Seems odd, maybe, but nothing conspiratorial. I can't see the shop gaining anything by having a person pose as an angry customer who decides not to buy anything. They don't even generate good will by that.

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-26, 04:42 PM
Technically, you said not to say they are pizza aliens, and Razade's statement is about generic aliens without description. Though I suppose either type managing one's pizza place is disturbing, though I would find pizza aliens serving me pizza more disturbing. :smallbiggrin:

And I'm guessing Murk was just joking. I could see the lady legitimately being upset at the service and not wanting to give the shop any money after that. Seems odd, maybe, but nothing conspiratorial. I can't see the shop gaining anything by having a person pose as an angry customer who decides not to buy anything. They don't even generate good will by that.

I meant pizza space aliens. Sorry if I wasn't specific earlier. :frown:

JeenLeen
2017-01-26, 04:47 PM
For clarity, I meant space aliens as well. I assumed all aliens spoken of were referring to extraterrestrial beings, whether they are composed of/related to pizza or not.

I was just meaning to add some linguistic nitpicking, kindly-meant, to the joke. I'm not real used to using smileys or interpreting them, though. If I gave offense or led to frustration, my apologies.

Coidzor
2017-01-26, 05:09 PM
Y'know, I wonder if people have made a Pizza Space Princess to go along with Lumpy Space Princess.

Probably, considering Tumblr.

Liquor Box
2017-01-26, 05:23 PM

What's conspiracy?! Explain yourself, please I really do need to know. And please don't say that the pizza place is run by pizza aliens!

I meant pizza space aliens. Sorry if I wasn't specific earlier.

Sometimes I wonder if Bart is stringing other posters along, and if the joke is really on them.

Razade
2017-01-26, 05:39 PM

You're not the boss of me. What're you going to do about it? I only listen to the Space Pizza Aliens.

Chromascope3D
2017-01-26, 05:57 PM
At Burger King, at least here where I live, it's cheaper to buy two 10-piece chicken nuggets than it is to buy the 20-piece. (I think something like $3 for two 10-piece, while $5 for a 20-piece.) From what I can tell, there wasn't sale going on.
I'm glad they weren't busy when I was there, since that gave me time to look over the menu, realize that oddity, and ask if it was correct or if I was misreading it. The clerk rather nicely said I was correct. From working in fast food previously, I reckon she was amused someone caught the cheaper way to order.

Nah, it's not just you, unless you happen to live in Alabama. I really have to wonder how some major burger chain managed that oversight, unless it was intentional, for whatever reason.

Anonymouswizard
2017-01-26, 07:03 PM
You're not the boss of me. What're you going to do about it? I only listen to the Space Pizza Aliens.

But are they legal pizza space aliens or illegal pizza space aliens?

Razade
2017-01-26, 07:05 PM

Pizza aliens don't care about jurisdictions our puny non-cheese and bread based lifeforms.

Viathon
2017-01-27, 02:35 AM
Awesome people are awesome! I'm glad there are still people who aren't afraid to stand up for others.

Gnomvid
2017-01-27, 03:10 AM

The real question here is: are the Pizza space aliens run by Pizza the Hut?

T-Mick
2017-01-27, 07:47 AM
Sometimes I wonder if Bart is stringing other posters along, and if the joke is really on them.

My question for the past year.

It's been a while since I bet on page count. I'll say this topic has another page left in it before it gets heated and closed. Any takers?

Wardog
2017-01-28, 07:56 AM
Deals that aren't actually deals are quite common round where I live.

Supermarkets typically sell bagged fruit and vegetables at higher prices (£/kg) than the same stuff loose. And I've occasionally seen a number of multi-buy deals that are worse than buying make the items more expensive.

I've also recently seen a number of pubs and small shops offering joke deals, like "Buy one for twice the price, get a second one free!".

2D8HP
2017-01-29, 01:42 PM
Deals that aren't actually deals are....

At my last retail job (1993 2000), the owner would eveyr so often glance around the shop, pick out an item, order the price tripled, and then say to sell it at "50% off".

Anonymouswizard
2017-01-29, 02:13 PM
At my last retail job (1993 2000), the owner would eveyr so often glance around the shop, pick out an item, order the price tripled, and then say to sell it at "50% off".

I personally am wise to the 'double/triple the price and then sell at 50% off' trick (as in I've seriously seen places increase the price just so more people by at the 'deal' price, which is what I paid for it beforehand), and have a mental list of 'I expect X to cost about £Y' to help me catch them. Although I know we have more regulations regarding deals than America does (I believe that for sales specifically you have to prove you sold it at the 'standard' price for a certain amount of time, most of us know that the expected price is still the sale price 80% of the time). I don't think I've ever seen a multi-buy deal worse than the individual parts, although bagged fruit and veg is generally a tad more expensive (which is why I tend to buy loose fruit and potatoes, I don't need to pay for them to be weighed and bagged).

Because I know that if I see three cans of brand name tuna going for £3 then I've got an actual deal (when that one showed up it equated to at least a 33% price drop for about two months, there were a lot more tuna sandwiches than normal), and I suspect a decent proportion of people do have an awareness of what they buy regularly that they can easily spot a fake deal.

Chen
2017-01-30, 09:03 AM
Deals that aren't actually deals are quite common round where I live.

Supermarkets typically sell bagged fruit and vegetables at higher prices (£/kg) than the same stuff loose. And I've occasionally seen a number of multi-buy deals that are worse than buying make the items more expensive.

That's more a convenience thing than a non-deal though. Pre-packaged foods are going to be more expensive even if it's literally the identical loose product. Occasionally you'll see things where the smaller packages have better $/weight value than a larger package, but these tend to be when one is on sale and the other isn't. It's usually some sort of inventory issue at the store (this happens with groceries fairly frequently).

Liquor Box
2017-01-30, 03:49 PM
I personally am wise to the 'double/triple the price and then sell at 50% off' trick (as in I've seriously seen places increase the price just so more people by at the 'deal' price, which is what I paid for it beforehand), and have a mental list of 'I expect X to cost about £Y' to help me catch them. Although I know we have more regulations regarding deals than America does (I believe that for sales specifically you have to prove you sold it at the 'standard' price for a certain amount of time, most of us know that the expected price is still the sale price 80% of the time). I don't think I've ever seen a multi-buy deal worse than the individual parts, although bagged fruit and veg is generally a tad more expensive (which is why I tend to buy loose fruit and potatoes, I don't need to pay for them to be weighed and bagged).

Because I know that if I see three cans of brand name tuna going for £3 then I've got an actual deal (when that one showed up it equated to at least a 33% price drop for about two months, there were a lot more tuna sandwiches than normal), and I suspect a decent proportion of people do have an awareness of what they buy regularly that they can easily spot a fake deal.

Yeah, it is illegal to increase the price then pretend to be offering a discount here as well.

Anonymouswizard
2017-01-30, 05:42 PM
Yeah, it is illegal to increase the price then pretend to be offering a discount here as well.

It's weird, I have seen places here jack up the price and then offer a discount, but it generally comes out as 'costs as much as or a bit less than the normal price'. Although there are plenty of jokes about how certain stores have split their stock into two sections, the 'winter sale' lot and the 'summer sale' lot, and just switch which is easily noticeable. Honestly the idea of an item perpetually on sale confuses me because I'm used to how it's done here.

Peelee
2017-01-30, 05:55 PM
Honestly the idea of an item perpetually on sale confuses me because I'm used to how it's done here.

There's an old saying. If it's always on sale, then it's never on sale.

Keltest
2017-01-30, 08:05 PM
There's an old saying. If it's always on sale, then it's never on sale.

The store I work at has "every day low price" items, which are, basically, always on sale. And youre right, the point is that the item is perpetually at a lower price than it was before it got that tag.

Aedilred
2017-01-31, 04:17 AM

Given how badly Bartmanhomer has communicated the details of this very simple situation, and the way that, the more details he is eventually prevailed upon to clarify, the less sense the whole scenario makes, I am minded to think that he is either making a substantial portion (possibly the entirety) of this story up or that his failure to communicate adequately manifested itself in the scenario in question, with confusing results for everyone involved.

lio45
2017-01-31, 11:20 AM
Given how badly Bartmanhomer has communicated the details of this very simple situation, and the way that, the more details he is eventually prevailed upon to clarify, the less sense the whole scenario makes, I am minded to think that he is either making a substantial portion (possibly the entirety) of this story up or that his failure to communicate adequately manifested itself in the scenario in question, with confusing results for everyone involved.

Yep, and I unfortunately think it doesn't augur well for his infamous business with that movie theater lady, given that obtaining her phone number then going on dates is orders of magnitude more difficult than successfully ordering pizza.

Advice: set your sights on reasonable goals first, don't try to aim too high. When your basic skills have improved, then you can gradually change the target.

TheManicMonocle
2017-01-31, 11:24 AM
Can you guys just leave the autistic guy alone? Of course he's not telling the story right, he's autistic, stop trying to dissect the poor guy.

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-31, 11:33 AM
Yep, and I unfortunately think it doesn't augur well for his infamous business with that movie theater lady, given that obtaining her phone number then going on dates is orders of magnitude more difficult than successfully ordering pizza.

Advice: set your sights on reasonable goals first, don't try to aim too high. When your basic skills have improved, then you can gradually change the target.

What don't that got to do with anything? Have you been reading my thread at all? :furious:

lio45
2017-01-31, 11:36 AM
Can you guys just leave the autistic guy alone? Of course he's not telling the story right, he's autistic, stop trying to dissect the poor guy.

I'm familiar with autism (my ex's family was an extremely rare case with it being so frequent that they were being studied for a genetic component) and honestly, it's not a reason for not getting your facts straight - I'd even say it should be the other way around. Great memory for data, especially useless data. A high functioning autist with typical Asperger's would probably have the entire menu of the pizza place memorized and know exactly what costs what, what the specials are, etc.

lio45
2017-01-31, 11:39 AM
What don't that got to do with anything? Have you been reading my thread at all? :furious:

The social skills involved in successfully getting a pizza slice from another human without drama or rejection are kind of related to the social skills involved in successfully getting a phone number from another human without drama or rejection, except that the latter is more difficult.

And yes, I've read all 6 pages of this thread (and am not getting my time back, unfortunately).

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-31, 11:40 AM

I've been telling the story right. I don't need any translator to translated my language. :mad:

TheManicMonocle
2017-01-31, 11:50 AM
I've been telling the story right. I don't need any translator to translated my language. :mad:

I'm sorry, I was trying to help a fellow autistic, please excuse me.

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-31, 12:22 PM
I'm sorry, I was trying to help a fellow autistic, please excuse me.

Well your post was a bit offensive. But I understand you were trying to help.

Anonymouswizard
2017-01-31, 02:13 PM

Although I don't have it on me (I keep it filed) I personally do have a diagnosis of autism, and know some other high functioning autistic people, and it can very wildly so in some ways it is useful to ask a lot of questions in order to understand exactly how it affects them (for example, many people think my speech impediment, generally misidentified as a stammer, comes from my autism, when in fact I just learnt to speak late and so can't naturally pause to get my breath back). Although this depends on the person, I personally have no problem with people trying to pick apart my condition and behaviour to try to understand me better, but some autistic people do.

I'm familiar with autism (my ex's family was an extremely rare case with it being so frequent that they were being studied for a genetic component) and honestly, it's not a reason for not getting your facts straight - I'd even say it should be the other way around. Great memory for data, especially useless data. A high functioning autist with typical Asperger's would probably have the entire menu of the pizza place memorized and know exactly what costs what, what the specials are, etc.

First off, can we please not use autist? I personally find it an insulting term (partially because of how it was used at school just after I got my diagnosis) and significantly prefer 'autistic person'. Yes, I know that there will be some people who prefer the term (just like I insist I have a condition which requires me to use mitigation strategies, instead of a disability where I have to use coping strategies), but generally autistic person is better (I'll also personally grumble about 'person with autism' but now fellow high functioning autistics who prefer it).

Secondly, well done on generalising. We have no idea if Bartmanhomer has typical Asbergers or something slightly different, I personally have a form of HFA that gives me a great memory for data, but I won't remember it unless I'm interested. I personally could not tell you more than the general price for something at my favourite restaurant. Heck, I forget names after 10 minutes even if I make an effort to remember them. If I had picked out what I wanted and was spending my time in the queue catching up on The Order of the Stick I would likely only be able to tell you the costs of what I've ordered.

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-31, 03:56 PM
Although I don't have it on me (I keep it filed) I personally do have a diagnosis of autism, and know some other high functioning autistic people, and it can very wildly so in some ways it is useful to ask a lot of questions in order to understand exactly how it affects them (for example, many people think my speech impediment, generally misidentified as a stammer, comes from my autism, when in fact I just learnt to speak late and so can't naturally pause to get my breath back). Although this depends on the person, I personally have no problem with people trying to pick apart my condition and behaviour to try to understand me better, but some autistic people do.

First off, can we please not use autist? I personally find it an insulting term (partially because of how it was used at school just after I got my diagnosis) and significantly prefer 'autistic person'. Yes, I know that there will be some people who prefer the term (just like I insist I have a condition which requires me to use mitigation strategies, instead of a disability where I have to use coping strategies), but generally autistic person is better (I'll also personally grumble about 'person with autism' but now fellow high functioning autistics who prefer it).

Secondly, well done on generalising. We have no idea if Bartmanhomer has typical Asbergers or something slightly different, I personally have a form of HFA that gives me a great memory for data, but I won't remember it unless I'm interested. I personally could not tell you more than the general price for something at my favourite restaurant. Heck, I forget names after 10 minutes even if I make an effort to remember them. If I had picked out what I wanted and was spending my time in the queue catching up on The Order of the Stick I would likely only be able to tell you the costs of what I've ordered.

The name of Aspergers and other names have changed to Autism Spectrum Disorder.

Anonymouswizard
2017-01-31, 04:02 PM
The name of Aspergers and other names have changed to Autism Spectrum Disorder.

ASD is a weird term. When I got my diagnosis it was used to mean 'not neurotypical but doesn't qualify for a stronger diagnosis'. For what it's worth, Aspergers is a specific type of ASD that might not be recognised in some documents used for diagnosis. Aspergers is still a useful term because it talks about a specific set of symptoms that are relatively common (although not everyone with Aspergers has every symptom, they have more than I do). ASD has existed for at least 8 years (roughly when I got my diagnosis, and ASD and Aspergers were considered different things back then).

If any psychologists were able to elaborate on the differences and if Aspergers is still considered a 'thing' that would be great.

2D8HP
2017-01-31, 04:23 PM
....I don't need any translator to translated my language.

:sigh:

Please:

"to translate my language."

Not "translated".

Though "I didn't need any translator to have translated my language", would have worked as well.

Aedilred
2017-01-31, 05:56 PM
:sigh:

Please:

"to translate my language."

Not "translated".

Though "I didn't need any translator to have translated my language", would have worked as well.
"I didn't need any translator to have translated my language" doesn't work.

"To translate" is an infinitive and so doesn't need to be adjusted depending on the tense of other verbs in the sentence.

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-31, 06:11 PM
"I didn't need any translator to have translated my language" doesn't work.

"To translate" is an infinitive and so doesn't need to be adjusted depending on the tense of other verbs in the sentence.

What difference does it make?! Why are we still even talking about it anyway? It's been two weeks already. It's over. It seems that everybody still making a big deal about it! :furious:

lio45
2017-01-31, 06:39 PM
First off, can we please not use autist? I personally find it an insulting term (partially because of how it was used at school just after I got my diagnosis) and significantly prefer 'autistic person'.

Sure, of course!

Secondly, well done on generalising. We have no idea if Bartmanhomer has typical Asbergers or something slightly different, I personally have a form of HFA that gives me a great memory for data...

I'm all but certain he said he had typical Asperger's in the past.

And anyway, I said "probably". Same way I would say that if I learn on an online discussion forum that you're a Finnish tourist visiting Spain in summer, among basic advice you probably want to make sure you take measures against sunburn, even though it's entirely possible that you might be a citizen of Finland who's 100% ethnically Congolese. No need to make a big deal out of it.

lylsyly
2017-01-31, 06:47 PM
At the risk of pissing people off ........

I take psych meds myself, and I don't talk about my diagnosis because ........

If you can't deal with it, don't answer my posts, ignore me, block me, whatever .......

Don't just assume I don't know anything because I have a condition, and don't think you have to talk dumb to me, and don't think I won't get upset when you are being insensitive .....

Have I left anything out?

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-31, 06:52 PM
At the risk of pissing people off ........

I take psych meds myself, and I don't talk about my diagnosis because ........

If you can't deal with it, don't answer my posts, ignore me, block me, whatever .......

Don't just assume I don't know anything because I have a condition, and don't think you have to talk dumb to me, and don't think I won't get upset when you are being insensitive .....

Have I left anything out?No. You explain it very well. :cool:

golentan
2017-01-31, 06:55 PM
What difference does it make?! Why are we still even talking about it anyway? It's been two weeks already. It's over. It seems that everybody still making a big deal about it! :furious:

Because when you make every little event in your life a forum* topic, sometimes people are going to run with it. Especially when there are elements of inconsistency, of poor communication, a high emotional content, and a posture of defensiveness from a potentially at fault party.

All of which you have brought to the table and more.

If you don't want people picking apart your life, maybe chronicle it in a journal rather than here.

*Noun. A gathering place for the exchange of ideas and debate.

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-31, 06:59 PM
Because when you make every little event in your life a forum* topic, sometimes people are going to run with it. Especially when there are elements of inconsistency, of poor communication, a high emotional content, and a posture of defensiveness from a potentially at fault party.

All of which you have brought to the table and more.

If you don't want people picking apart your life, maybe chronicle it in a journal rather than here.

*Noun. A gathering place for the exchange of ideas and debate.

You're right. I'm sorry again for being so defensive. I'll try to be a bit more open-minded and not getting so defensive about it.

Aedilred
2017-01-31, 07:37 PM

In this instance, you complained that you didn't need anyone to translate your language. And the very sentence in which you annouced that was parsed incorrectly. It was somewhat ironic.

Then 2d8HP corrected you, picking up on the irony, but in doing so made an error himself. Which is if anything even more ironic than your initial error, so I picked up on that.

That is all.

Bartmanhomer
2017-01-31, 07:59 PM
In this instance, you complained that you didn't need anyone to translate your language. And the very sentence in which you annouced that was parsed incorrectly. It was somewhat ironic.

Then 2d8HP corrected you, picking up on the irony, but in doing so made an error himself. Which is if anything even more ironic than your initial error, so I picked up on that.

That is all.

Oh. I guess I own 2d8HP. an apology. Sorry 2d8HP. :frown:

lio45
2017-01-31, 08:34 PM
Oh. I guess I own 2d8HP.

No, you don't own him...

:p

(You might consider you owe him an apology, yes.)

2D8HP
2017-01-31, 10:29 PM
...but in doing so made an error himself. Which is if anything even more ironic than your initial error, so I picked up on that....

Oh. I guess I own 2d8HP. an apology. Sorry 2d8HP. :frown:

No apology needed at all.

Also, thanks to Aedilred I learned something (as may be guessed by my gibberish filled posts, I read a lot but I'm very uneducated).

Peelee
2017-02-01, 12:01 AM

My best advice for you is to either stop caring what people write in here from here on out, or at least to stop reading it. You'll save yourself a lot of aggravation, it would seem, by just ignoring it.

lio45
2017-02-01, 12:14 AM
My best advice for you is to either stop caring what people write in here from here on out, or at least to stop reading it. You'll save yourself a lot of aggravation, it would seem, by just ignoring it.

As golentan puts it, an even better way of saving himself the aggravation would be to stop making little irrelevant events of his life into forum threads if he doesn't want other users chiming in with their two cents on those events.

As we say here (and I'm not sure the translation works), that's just you being the craftsman building your own unhappiness, so, look into the mirror if you want it to change.

Alternatively, you can try to develop a thicker skin, and continue to deal with people, nearly all of which (at least on this forum) are probably decently well intentioned.

Delicious Taffy
2017-02-08, 06:37 PM
This thread was a journey, man. It started with pizza, had some confusion in the middle, and closed off with a chat about autism.

But did everyone in the restaurant clap at the end?

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-08, 06:44 PM
This thread was a journey, man. It started with pizza, had some confusion in the middle, and closed off with a chat about autism.

No they didn't clap. The rest of the customers just mind their own business.

Fawkes
2017-02-08, 09:16 PM

That woman's name? Albert Einstein.

Has someone already made this joke?

Y.T.
2017-02-09, 12:07 AM
That woman's name? Albert Einstein.

Has someone already made this joke?

Lol, this had my breakfast coming out of my nose with my colleague looking on in disgust and wonder.

Green Elf
2017-05-03, 07:31 PM
8bithomer is the best thing to happen to this forum.

Nice. 8bithomer. So, I heard 8bitninja used to be kinda bad... But he changed. (Heard it from him). So, just out of curiosity of what my own brother ​did before, what did he do?

((I think I'm a little late))

S@tanicoaldo
2017-05-03, 08:14 PM
Nice. 8bithomer. So, I heard 8bitninja used to be kinda bad... But he changed. (Heard it from him). So, just out of curiosity of what my own brother ​did before, what did he do?

Dear Pagan Gods, just let this thread die already. If 8-bit ninja is your brother, why don't you just go and ask him?

Velaryon
2017-05-03, 08:52 PM

I didn't see anyone address this, but why do you think there was discrimination going on? Based on the story you've told, it could be that the cashier was trying to rip you off with a deal that wasn't what you wanted because of your disability, but it sounds like it also could have been a big misunderstanding. It varies from person to person (partly because autism encompasses such a wide spectrum of conditions), but it's not always obvious that someone is autistic. It may be possible that the pizza cashier didn't know that at all. Fast food isn't exactly intellectually demanding work that requires hiring smart employees, after all.

I'm not forming an opinion about whether you were or were not discriminated against, merely wondering whether you are sure that's what happened.

S@tanicoaldo
2017-05-03, 08:55 PM
I didn't see anyone address this, but why do you think there was discrimination going on? Based on the story you've told, it could be that the cashier was trying to rip you off with a deal that wasn't what you wanted because of your disability, but it sounds like it also could have been a big misunderstanding. It varies from person to person (partly because autism encompasses such a wide spectrum of conditions), but it's not always obvious that someone is autistic. It may be possible that the pizza cashier didn't know that at all. Fast food isn't exactly intellectually demanding work that requires hiring smart employees, after all.

I'm not forming an opinion about whether you were or were not discriminated against, merely wondering whether you are sure that's what happened.

You too? >:( Just let it go guys, this thread has gone too far already.

And Bartmanhomer don't have to explain anything to anyone if he doesn't want or feel like to.

Aedilred
2017-05-03, 10:23 PM
And Bartmanhomer don't have to explain anything to anyone if he doesn't want or feel like to.
Well in that case he probably shouldn't have started the thread.

Razade
2017-05-03, 10:26 PM
Well in that case he probably shouldn't have started the thread.

Seriously.

If the person freely elects the information (and is seemingly more than happy to do so in a continuous stream of mundane, banal minutia) then...your attempts at defending them are really nothing more than virtue signaling.

Velaryon
2017-05-03, 10:56 PM
You too? >:( Just let it go guys, this thread has gone too far already.

Yeah, how dare I respond to an open thread on a forum dedicated to conversing about topics?!

No one said he has to explain anything. But since he's the one who likes to share his everyday experiences in the form of topics, I asked a question about a conclusion that he reached from the interaction, which I've as much right to do as he has to bring it up in the first place.

T-Mick
2017-05-04, 11:42 AM

Ooh, I redact any suggestions of mine that 8bitninja and bartmanhomer are connected. The truth is MUCH more interesting, I learned.

LughSpear
2017-05-04, 09:04 PM
Ooh, I redact any suggestions of mine that 8bitninja and bartmanhomer are connected. The truth is MUCH more interesting, I learned.

would you care to share?

Kalmageddon
2017-05-05, 02:00 AM
^ please do!
Also, was it determined if the two slice special was really a ripoff or if the OP was just being stubborn? I have to know!

Razade
2017-05-05, 02:04 AM
would you care to share?

8bit runs a gaming youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK_98G8ryLVTSXESXc5Phg) (which I do not recommend at all), Bartmanhomer runs a....tarot deck....youtube channel. (https://www.youtube.com/user/Bartmanhomerthe7th)

I think you can...grasp a lot of differences just by taking a few minutes to wander around in there. Again. I don't recommend it. It's not healthy for you to do it. But if you want to. There it is.

Jon_Dahl
2017-05-07, 01:51 AM
Love your channel, Bartmanhomer! Wow, tarot is a great choice for a young man, you will attract just the right wrong kind of women with that stuff, trust me!