PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder PF - What Superpowers Should Temporary Constructs Have?

unseenmage
2017-01-17, 05:00 PM
Not sure yet if the effective 'lifespan' of these things will be 40-60 years or 40-60 days but I am working on some homebrewed Constructs made entirely from temporarily conjured materials that, due to the nature of their bodies, will expire after a time. Normal constructs usually last practically forever.

I want some ideas for special attacks, special qualities for Constructs that have a shorter lifespan than forever.

Edit Ideas from existing monster abilities would be most appreciated as those are easiest to plug into PF's monster creation process.

Maybe they burn up their remaining time even faster for a boost. Maybe in their effective old age they all gain the Berserk special quality.
My idea well is running a bit dry, anybody else got some?

NOhara24
2017-01-17, 07:41 PM
Homebrew forum would be the best place for this.

unseenmage
2017-01-17, 09:02 PM
Less so since PF actually has a codified monster construction process.

However, it does occur to me that I did fail to type my request for existing monster abilities onto the OP. Will remedy shortly.

Jack_Simth
2017-01-17, 10:58 PM
Haste themselves. Time spent hasted counts double.

Explode on death by anything other than 'old age' (the energy in their forms is released).

Milo v3
2017-01-17, 11:22 PM
Can deal lethal damage to themselves or expend years to conjure objects like weaponry and cover.

khadgar567
2017-01-18, 02:02 AM
Can deploy rage field( aka every one enters barbarian rage while in area and round start to be used when they leave the field)

unseenmage
2017-01-18, 11:29 PM
So I have a couple of abilities picked out.
- Aging Effects: They get age penalties based on what fraction of their lifespan they are in.
- Berserk: They all have this classic Golem special ability due to their unstable nature.
- Death Throes: Chosen over Self-Destruct for flavor reasons (might still use both, not sure yet), probably just for damage in a 5 or 10 foot area. Maybe bonus damage based on which age category they're in or based on how many days they have left to live?

I want to add one that damages melee attackers who fail a Ref save, kinda like how other monsters gout boiling blood when struck with slashing or piercing, just cannot for the life of me remember what monsters have that ability nor what it's called. Cannot find it in the Universal Monster abilities list either.
Found it.

Their lifespan is going to be in days. Minimum of one day. Am considering adding a maximum of 'a year and a day' just because it sounds cool.