PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Recurring phrases and themes in long running campaigns

Danielqueue1
2017-01-18, 09:09 AM
So in my 5e (D&D next) campaign I have been trying to build an ongoing continuity and reward attentive players. as such I have included a certain phrase that members of a secret organization that seek the campaigns plot device all use in common conversation to identify each other. After about the fifth or sixth time hearing about the "capricious winds of happenstance" some of the party members started catching on and it made for a great plot hook. I have been thinking about having notable phrases for other major organizations in the campaign and I was wondering.

1; would having several major organizations in an ongoing campaign have Identifiable catchphrases get repetitive?

2; any good ideas for phrases archaic enough to sound like they have meaning. without being completely obvious the first time a player hears it? (trying to avoid stereotypical movie "spy talk" and catch phrases from popular media)

Example; "maybe you'll win next time, such are the capricious winds of happenstance." "they are nomads blown about by the capricious winds of happenstance, don't waste your time." "Danae be one o' 'em fool elves blown about by tha capricious win's o' happenstance. stand yer ground and face it!" (all spoken by different members of the same order)

Stealth Marmot
2017-01-18, 10:56 AM
1. Depends on how often you have them appear.

2. TV shows have done it. Look at Game of Thrones, "Winter is Coming" or Doctor Who "Bad Wolf" or "The question, hidden in plain sight."