PDA

View Full Version : Filling out the Party

Master O'Laughs
2017-01-18, 11:04 AM
Hey Y'all,

So awhile back I posted about making a Sorcadin for an upcoming campaign. Well character creation happened and it seemed like we needed more dedicated healing so I made a cleric instead (my heart is saddened but there is always PC death to allow me to make a new one).

There will be 5 of us but the 5th wasn't present. If they decide they want to make a cleric then Sorcadin for me! If not though I have a quick question about my cleric.

The stats we were given were 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8

I went Lizardfolk Death Domain Cleric, mostly because I did not realize I would be the tank at first.

Here is my dude

STR 12
DEX 18
CON 16
INT 10
WIS 17
CHA 8

AC: 19 (13+4+2)
I was given a +1 Rapier as a starting item.

I am heavily considering going for Observant at lvl 4 because it would fit the character.

1) Is it categorically better to switch my Dex and Wis so my WIS is 19 and Dex 16? Or if I am having to serve as the tank early on is the extra AC and to hit better?

While I am not necessarily trying to optimize this character. If it makes no sense to not make WIS the highest stat then I will switch them. There is no character reason they cannot be reversed, I naturally aim for the highest AC possible because I like having a high one.

Spellbreaker26
2017-01-18, 11:37 AM
As someone who went cleric for healer and then found myself in a situation where I was suddenly a tank, I feel for you. Be sure to prepare and use shield of faith for the early levels if you think it's going to get rough.

1. Why is your STR 12? Your attack stat is dex, and you don't wear heavy armour. I'd swap it around with the 8 you put in charisma; Charisma saves are more common and being a bit more "talky" is quite nice for a cleric.

2. If you're the tank then I think you should start off with the DEX higher. You can always buff wisdom later, but you need to make sure you can survive that long.

Specter
2017-01-18, 12:07 PM
Definitely trade WIS and DEX. AC and Init don't compare to better save DC and to-hit and extra prepared spells.

On a side note, you can still heal if you go Palasorc. Take Cure Wounds, Quicken/Twin it, and let the good times roll. If your DM allows UA, Favored Soul with Life Domain spells can ultimately be better than a cleric.

On another side note, the only way that a cleric heals better than a Bard or Druid is if he's a Life Cleric. If you're not, feel free to consider them.

Master O'Laughs
2017-01-18, 12:12 PM
the STR and CHA is where I am not optimized on purpose. The character doesn't really worship any deity. He believes in the "Old Gods" and modern gods are pathetic and possibly not real. He believes you are born, you live, you die and that is it. There is no afterlife. He eats what he kills or finds recently dead as to not waste the food but also to potentially gain some of its power.

I was thinking STR to make it slightly more likely to hit with my bite attack and if I ever need to do anything athletics oriented.

Master O'Laughs
2017-01-18, 12:17 PM
Definitely trade WIS and DEX. AC and Init don't compare to better save DC and to-hit and extra prepared spells.

On a side note, you can still heal if you go Palasorc. Take Cure Wounds, Quicken/Twin it, and let the good times roll. If your DM allows UA, Favored Soul with Life Domain spells can ultimately be better than a cleric.

On another side note, the only way that a cleric heals better than a Bard or Druid is if he's a Life Cleric. If you're not, feel free to consider them.

I understand bards are really good, they just don't appeal to me. It might be interesting to play a druid one day but was not really feeling them. That was my concern about WIS and DEX. With 16 DEX I could still get a 18 AC and at lvl 4, a WIS bump would not be as mandatory so I could pick up war caster.

EDIT (Mainly to not add more posts): Would it be better to have War caster or Resilient CON on a cleric. Or is it a matter of preference?