PDA

View Full Version : Kensai: benefits and drawbacks of using a shortsword?

The Shadowdove
2017-01-18, 11:46 AM
Hey forum-lurkers,

I guess shortsword is the only monk weapon that is martial. Or something like that.

What are the drawbacks of using a shortsword to gain the benefits of kensai weapon and monk weapon ?

Also, can you use nonmartial weapons as a kensai weapon?

Spear/quarterstaff may be half decent options if so. Especially with a feat to spare on the spear (UA)or polearm mastery paths.

Thanks in advance,

Dove

Kileonhardt
2017-01-18, 01:02 PM
Hey forum-lurkers,

I guess shortsword is the only monk weapon that is martial. Or something like that.

What are the drawbacks of using a shortsword to gain the benefits of kensai weapon and monk weapon ?

Also, can you use nonmartial weapons as a kensai weapon?

Spear/quarterstaff may be half decent options if so. Especially with a feat to spare on the spear (UA)or polearm mastery paths.

Thanks in advance,

Dove

Well it was clarified that you still get Martial Arts benefits while using a Kensei weapon here https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/808904018265341952 so the drawbacks is limiting yourself on weapons. Kensei weapons specifically call for martial weapons.

The Shadowdove
2017-01-18, 01:40 PM
Oh great!!

I thought there was a tweet somewhere saying you couldn't use any nonmonk weapon and gain martial arts!

Kileonhardt
2017-01-18, 03:58 PM
Oh great!!

I thought there was a tweet somewhere saying you couldn't use any nonmonk weapon and gain martial arts!

There was a tweet he put out saying "kensei weapons don't automatically count as monk weapons" but the above linked tweet was his final take on it.