PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Temporal Displacement/Time Hop and Similar effects. (Pathfinder)

Caedes
2017-01-18, 01:00 PM
I have a player that has come up with the fun concept of popping people out of time placing a trap where they were, so that when they pop back into the current time the trap is sprung and bam! Win and Profit.

A couple questions about this. As I do think it is a fun idea but I also do not want to be to bendy on the rules.

1. Does something like a bear trap count as occupying the space when a creature returns? This is in reference to

"If the space from which the subject departed is occupied upon his return to the time stream, he appears in the closest unoccupied space, still in his original orientation. Determine the closest space randomly if necessary."

2. Some contention around if a creature returning from being out of time should be allowed a reflex save. In my way of seeing it, they absolutely do.

Thank you all again for the assistance and input. I do want this player to have fun with this char. I just also do not want to be bending the rules to much to make it work for them.

:D

Vaz
2017-01-18, 06:36 PM
1. Occupied is usually in reference to someone else being there. Ie, "the bog is occupied" usually means someone is dropping deuce in there. Having something on the floor is completely fine, in as much as having carpet on the floor won't affect it. If the space that the person was returning to was now a wall of stone however filling the two 5ft cubes though...

2. I agree. If a reflex save is allowed against a detonating fireball the party isn't even aware of or a trap in a recessed wall missed during a rogues scout, they can dodge that.

Reflex is a reflex. It is how quick they can act on the impulse from a stimuli. The stimuli is the feedback from stepping on a trap. They trap is triggered, and now they roll to avoid it, not reflex to avood triggering it.

Think about time hop. The person percieves no time has passed, so it is as if they've put their foot down upon entering a square (remember that combat is happening continuously, it is only abstracted to turns/initiative order) and they've hit a trap.

lord_khaine
2017-01-18, 06:54 PM
Also its honestly pretty mild.

When you think about just how deeply! you can get screwed from failing the will save that Time hop allows. We are talking paralyzed, enslaved, or send to hell, then just having to jump away from a beartrap sounds extremely mild. :smallamused: