PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk Books?

Jimp
2007-07-19, 04:48 PM
I just finished watching Howl's Moving Castle and am suddenly very interested in a steampunk style setting. I know Ebberon is meant to be sort of semi-steampunk but I don't know of any other settings.
Does anyone know of any steampunk style setting books?

Fax Celestis
2007-07-19, 04:52 PM
Try Etherscope and its expansions. It's built a bit like d20 Modern, but it's a good system.

Iku Rex
2007-07-19, 04:55 PM
Similar topic: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48542

Stormcrow
2007-07-19, 06:55 PM
Iron Kingdoms?

Fax Celestis
2007-07-19, 07:28 PM
Iron Kingdoms?

Iron Kingdoms isn't so much "steampunk" as it is "victoriapunk."

mikeejimbo
2007-07-19, 08:08 PM
Really? I thought it was a low-magic - wait, no, that's Iron Heroes.

OK, do you need it to be d20? GURPS Steampunk is fun :smallbiggrin:

Roog
2007-07-19, 10:26 PM
I just finished watching Howl's Moving Castle and am suddenly very interested in a steampunk style setting. I know Ebberon is meant to be sort of semi-steampunk but I don't know of any other settings.
Does anyone know of any steampunk style setting books?

People have already suggested Etherscope and Iron Kingdoms
For general information (and the basis of 4 settings) GURPS: Steampunk is useful.
Legends & Lairs: Sorcery and Steam from Fantasy Flight Games is a useful D&D steampunk resource, but it does not contain any specific settings.

Lord Tataraus
2007-07-19, 10:39 PM
While not completely fleshed out, Dragon 352 had stuff for a Bas-Lag setting. (the world in the books Perdido Street Station, The Scar, and Iron Council).

SMDVogrin
2007-07-19, 10:42 PM
There's also OGL Steampunk, by Mongoose. Never played it, but it looked fairly interesting when I flipped through it once.

Jayabalard
2007-07-19, 10:46 PM
there's now a d20 version of deadlands; it's weird west, which is pretty steampunk.

Leon
2007-07-19, 11:52 PM
Iron Kingdoms has its own Genre - Full Metal Fantasy

Amphimir Míriel
2007-07-19, 11:53 PM
There's also OGL Steampunk, by Mongoose. Never played it, but it looked fairly interesting when I flipped through it once.

OGL Steampunk by Moongoose is a great book, I really recommend it.

Disclaimer: the author is an acquaintance of mine, but its still a good book

Townopolis
2007-07-20, 12:15 AM
I fail to see how Iron Kingdoms is different enough from other steampunk to warrant its own subgenre.

Iron Kingdoms is a good setting so long as you don't mind a few things.
-Khador is fantasy USSR. Red Army, cossacks, industrial behemoth, the works.
-Cygnar is "t3h g00d g13s"
-Menoth (a god) has a holy symbol, the Menofix, it's a cross. Menites periodically menofix (see: crucify) people on Menofixes (crosses).
-A gun that deals damage equal to a good composite longbow costs as much, but the ammo costs about 120 times more.

The guns & ammo things is easily fixed, it's just that the ammo costs are ridiculous, scale it down and that's one thing off the list. You'll have to deal with everything else, but if it doesn't bother you, it's a nice little world.

*snip* maybe I shouldn't say that, Just not to my taste.

SMDVogrin
2007-07-20, 02:29 AM
Oh, and avoid the "Warmachine" book like the plague, reading the preface almost made me never want to play IK ever again.

I suppose it's what you're interested in. I find to be be really quite a fun miniatures wargame.

I had no idea they made an RPG setting for Iron Kingdoms until well after I started playing Warmachine. Guess that would color my views on it, eh?

Townopolis
2007-07-20, 02:39 AM
To each his own.

But then again, I played DBA, DBM, Spearhead, and a little Warhammer before I picked up the Warmachine book, so maybe my views are colored as well.

Human Paragon 3
2007-07-20, 08:47 AM
Isn't there a Girl Genius RPG (powered by GURPS), or is that a project that's continually "in the works" and never actually done?

Kurobara
2007-07-20, 11:39 AM
If you just need flavor stuff or otherwise don't care about non-d20 sources, there's probably a GURPS Steampunk. There's like a GURPS everything.