PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Can I improve this hill dwarf arcana cleric?

Klorox
2017-01-18, 06:50 PM
I've seen this idea posted before, and I've always liked it.

Usually it calls for a variant human, because the magic initiate feat is important to the mechanical character concept. I'm starting at level 7 though, so I have access to a feat.

Anyway, rolled stats (4d6, drop lowest, arrange how you'd like). I rolled: 17, 16, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10. With racial bonuses, I decided to go: STR 12 DEX 14 CON 18 (16+2) INT 11 WIS 18 (17+1) CHA 10

I chose to be an arcana cleric.

My feat at level 4 is magic initiate (druid). This allows me to use shillelagh on a club. I don't need to rely on STR or DEX for combat. It's all WIS. If I hit level 8, that WIS will become a 20.

I've chosen booming blade and green flame blade as my two wizard cantrips from the arcana domain.

Any advice on what other spells I should choose with magic initiate (druid)? Any spell advice for me?

Thanks!!

Degwerks
2017-01-18, 07:30 PM
I'd take either Thorn Whip or Create Bonfire as the other cantrip, along with Shillelagh of course. Your 1st level druid spell I would suggest Goodberry.

Zene
2017-01-18, 07:31 PM
Love this build! I'm jealous. If I could rebuild my Life cleric, I would convert him to Arcana for sure.

For your other Magic Initiate spells, I'd recommend Thorn Whip (it's fun and super useful) and then either:
1) Healing Word (I know it seems redundant, but it's worth it just to have one more use as an extra "oh s***" button)
or
2) Absorb Elements (you may not need it often, but when you need it, it can save your butt).

If neither of those appeal to you, I'd go with Longstrider for concentration-free movement buff, or Goodberry --pass them out so your friends and/or the Wizard's familiar have a way to pop you back up if you happen to drop. But I'd consider them both second-tier over the other choices.

Biggstick
2017-01-18, 09:12 PM
Personally I would say Warcaster is going to be a stronger feat then grabbing another +2 Wisdom.

This opens up your opportunity attacks to being BB or GFB, and increases the chances of you making your concentration saves should you actually get hit. It also gets you past the whole having a shield and weapon in hand while casting spells bit.

Eighteen in your primary stat will suffice until level 12 imo. Warcaster just does so much for a Cleric, I can't really imagine one that doesn't utilize it.

krunchyfrogg
2017-01-19, 11:29 AM
Warcaster is awesome

U gonna use a staff w/ no shield until level 8?

How u gonna cast with both hands occupied without warcaster? Or does the "holy symbol on your shield" do the trick?

Sir cryosin
2017-01-19, 11:51 AM
Warcaster is awesome

How u gonna cast with both hands occupied without warcaster? Or does the "holy symbol on your shield" do the trick?

Holy symbol on shield works.

Biggstick
2017-01-19, 01:06 PM
Warcaster is awesome

Holy symbol on shield works.

Holy Symbol on the shield (and a weapon in main hand) allows for spells with Verbal, Somatic, and Material components to be cast no problem. It's when your spells only have a Verbal and Somatic component that you're going to run into issues. With Warcaster you don't have to worry about it.

Maintaining concentration can be a chore. Warcaster makes that chore much easier.

Opportunity attacks with Booming Blade? Yes please thank you! Those can't be done without Warcaster.

krunchyfrogg
2017-01-19, 02:28 PM
Holy Symbol on the shield (and a weapon in main hand) allows for spells with Verbal, Somatic, and Material components to be cast no problem. It's when your spells only have a Verbal and Somatic component that you're going to run into issues. With Warcaster you don't have to worry about it.

Maintaining concentration can be a chore. Warcaster makes that chore much easier.

Opportunity attacks with Booming Blade? Yes please thank you! Those can't be done without Warcaster.

Why is it ok with VSM but not only V and S?

Oppo attack w/ BB and GFB is awesome.

rooneg
2017-01-19, 02:51 PM
Why is it ok with VSM but not only V and S?

Oppo attack w/ BB and GFB is awesome.

The V bit is irrelevant. The important bit is the S vs S,M. If your spell has a material component and a somatic component the somatic component is effectively "holding the material component", and can be replaced by the whole "I've got a holy symbol on my shield" thing because the holy symbol is your material component and you're holding it while you hold your shield. If there's no material component then the somatic component is "do something funky with a free hand", and unless you have the War Caster feat you can't cast the spell while holding both a weapon and a shield, so you have to stow the weapon before you cast (using a free action), then you don't have your weapon out until your next turn, when you use another free action to draw it again. It's not a show stopper, but it's awkward and annoying.

Willie the Duck
2017-01-19, 03:10 PM
Although, honestly, the whole thing falls into the category of Things a DM is very likely to make a ruling based on their own opinions, rather than what the book or designer tweets dictate. Like all things related to use of hands in this edition, somatic components is a bit of a hair-puller.

Klorox
2017-01-21, 10:42 AM
Although, honestly, the whole thing falls into the category of Things a DM is very likely to make a ruling based on their own opinions, rather than what the book or designer tweets dictate. Like all things related to use of hands in this edition, somatic components is a bit of a hair-puller.
Let's hope he doesn't bust my balls before I hit level 8.

coredump
2017-01-21, 12:06 PM
There just are not many spells with S and no M that you would want to cast in combat.

While I like the idea of BB from an OA, I just don't get that many OA in a game. Bad guys usually like to stay put and hit people.

Meanwhile, +1 Wis means your DC goes up, you hit more often, and you do more damage on each hit.

What conc spells do you have running that is better than +1 Wis?

Biggstick
2017-01-21, 12:42 PM
There just are not many spells with S and no M that you would want to cast in combat.

While I like the idea of BB from an OA, I just don't get that many OA in a game. Bad guys usually like to stay put and hit people.

Meanwhile, +1 Wis means your DC goes up, you hit more often, and you do more damage on each hit.

What conc spells do you have running that is better than +1 Wis?

Bless, Hold Person, Spirit Guardians.

All of those staying active and concentrated on are better then +1 to your spell save DC's and Attack/Damage rolls.

ChubbyRain
2017-01-21, 03:29 PM
Personally I would say Warcaster is going to be a stronger feat then grabbing another +2 Wisdom.

This opens up your opportunity attacks to being BB or GFB, and increases the chances of you making your concentration saves should you actually get hit. It also gets you past the whole having a shield and weapon in hand while casting spells bit.

Eighteen in your primary stat will suffice until level 12 imo. Warcaster just does so much for a Cleric, I can't really imagine one that doesn't utilize it.

I feel 18 will work until level 18 or so, the saving throws in thr monster manual aren't the greatest. The ones that do get good saves aren't going to notice that one point bump.

Warcaster is worth more than a +2, definitely worth more for an offensive build.

djreynolds
2017-01-22, 04:33 AM
I've seen this idea posted before, and I've always liked it.

Usually it calls for a variant human, because the magic initiate feat is important to the mechanical character concept. I'm starting at level 7 though, so I have access to a feat.

Anyway, rolled stats (4d6, drop lowest, arrange how you'd like). I rolled: 17, 16, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10. With racial bonuses, I decided to go: STR 12 DEX 14 CON 18 (16+2) INT 11 WIS 18 (17+1) CHA 10

I chose to be an arcana cleric.

My feat at level 4 is magic initiate (druid). This allows me to use shillelagh on a club. I don't need to rely on STR or DEX for combat. It's all WIS. If I hit level 8, that WIS will become a 20.

I've chosen booming blade and green flame blade as my two wizard cantrips from the arcana domain.

Any advice on what other spells I should choose with magic initiate (druid)? Any spell advice for me?

Thanks!!

I like it

And you can certainly add wisdom to damage twice, +10 at 8th level with shillelagh and potent spellcasting

Does the Arcana Cleric's Potent Spellcasting add +WIS mod damage to the 1st target of Green-Flame Blade, the 2nd, or both?

Potent Spellcasting adds to dmg. dealt by a cantrip. GFB: add to 2nd target, then to both targets at 5th lvl. #DnD

Arcane Cleric picks up BoomingBlade by Arcane Initiate. At level 8 (Potent Spellcasting), when is the WisMod added to dmg?

Potent Spellcasting adds to the cantrip's damage (booming blade, in this case), not the weapon's damage.

You know what, you got a 14 in dex. So why not start as a fighter, and get heavy armor since you are a hill dwarf and con saves. In fact put that 10 in dex and the 14 in strength, or vice versa, and put the 12 in intelligence or charisma.

Then go cleric and then at some point get 2 more level of fighter... eldritch knight for access to 3 more 1st level wizard spells, and now you can use the shield spell or absorb elements (dam you magic initiate) when you want to and get some other cantrips to boot

Your build is awesome

Oh and with heavy armor, like plate armor AC18, you can ditch the scale mail and shield now until you snag war caster.

Klorox
2017-01-22, 06:33 PM
Should I stick with booming blade and green flame blade as my cantrips, or would I be better off with just one?

Rysto
2017-01-22, 07:13 PM
Personally I think that having both is redundant. I like Booming Blade for melee clerics, as it combos well with Spirit Guardians, but either is a fine choice.

djreynolds
2017-01-23, 02:12 AM
Should I stick with booming blade and green flame blade as my cantrips, or would I be better off with just one?

If you snag eldritch knight, you have access to all these cantrips.

Now the question is, are only the two potent cleric cantrips from the wizard list the ones you select from 1st level cleric.

I would take either BB/GFB and sacred flame, its ranged, only 60ft but better than nothing

Is EK for 3 levels worth it to you? If you select EK first you will have con saves and then can grab war caster, but you may still want resilient wisdom also.

KnotaGuru
2017-01-23, 03:34 AM
Stay arcana cleric, don't MC and hurt your spell progression. Med armor (15) + DEX (2) + shield (2) is only 1 less than plate (18) + shield (2). Keeping DEX at 14 provides better saves & initiative. Going before your opponents is a huge advantage. For arcane initiate spells you're better off with GFB. How often are you going to get an opponent to voluntarily move to justify BB? For your other arcane initiate spell, grab something to give you more versatility such as friends or minor illusion. Or grab a ranged attack roll cantrip, such as chill touch, fire bolt, or ray of frost. Sacred flame is great, and you should take it with your normal cleric cantrip selection, but it allows a DEX save. Remember, you get to add your WIS mod to the damage you deal with ANY cleric cantrip starting at level 8. Any attack cantrips you get via arcane initiate count as cleric cantrips.

At 7th level, you'll have 4 normal cleric cantrips, 2 wizard cantrips via arcane initiate, 2 druid cantrips via magic initiate feat. That's a huge amount of options. Here's what I'd suggest:
Cleric - guidance (spam cast this outside of combat), light (for your human party members), mending (no more broken arrows for your archers), sacred flame (your ranged damage spell vs low DEX/covered targets)
Arcane initiate - GFB (your main melee attack spell), chill touch (your ranged damage spell vs regenerating/undead/high DEX targets)
Magic initiate - shillelagh (club buffing - WIS the only stat you need now), thorn whip (pull targets closer to you, works well with spirit guardians)

Usual prepared spells (can prepare 11 at level 7 with an 18 WIS):
1st - domain spells (detect magic, magic missile), goodberry (via magic initiate), bless, healing word, protection from good/evil
2nd - domain spells (magic weapon, nystul's magic aura), prayer of healing, silence, spiritual weapon
3rd - domain spells (dispel magic, magic circle), mass healing word, revivify, spirit guardians
4th - domain spells arcane eye, leomund's secret chest), banishment, divination

Warcaster at level 8 is a great choice, allowing you to keep your shield & club at the ready, and gives you the ability to cast spells on AoO's. If an ally casts dissonant whispers (bard/great old one warlock) on an enemy you're engaged with, you get an AoO :)

Speaking of allys, what does the rest of your party look like?

djreynolds
2017-01-23, 04:22 AM
Stay arcana cleric, don't MC and hurt your spell progression. Med armor (15) + DEX (2) + shield (2) is only 1 less than plate (18) + shield (2). Keeping DEX at 14 provides better saves & initiative. Going before your opponents is a huge advantage. For arcane initiate spells you're better off with GFB. How often are you going to get an opponent to voluntarily move to justify BB? For your other arcane initiate spell, grab something to give you more versatility such as friends or minor illusion. Or grab a ranged attack roll cantrip, such as chill touch, fire bolt, or ray of frost. Sacred flame is great, and you should take it with your normal cleric cantrip selection, but it allows a DEX save. Remember, you get to add your WIS mod to the damage you deal with ANY cleric cantrip starting at level 8. Any attack cantrips you get via arcane initiate count as cleric cantrips.

At 7th level, you'll have 4 normal cleric cantrips, 2 wizard cantrips via arcane initiate, 2 druid cantrips via magic initiate feat. That's a huge amount of options. Here's what I'd suggest:
Cleric - guidance (spam cast this outside of combat), light (for your human party members), mending (no more broken arrows for your archers), sacred flame (your ranged damage spell vs low DEX/covered targets)
Arcane initiate - GFB (your main melee attack spell), chill touch (your ranged damage spell vs regenerating/undead/high DEX targets)
Magic initiate - shillelagh (club buffing - WIS the only stat you need now), thorn whip (pull targets closer to you, works well with spirit guardians)

1st - domain spells (detect magic, magic missile), goodberry (via magic initiate), bless, healing word, protection from good/evil
2nd - domain spells (magic weapon, nystul's magic aura), prayer of healing, silence, spiritual weapon
3rd - domain spells (dispel magic, magic circle), mass healing word, revivify, spirit guardians

Warcaster at level 8 is a great choice, allowing you to keep your shield & club at the ready, and gives you the ability to cast spells on AoO's. If an ally casts dissonant whispers (bard/great old one warlock) on an enemy you're engaged with, you get an AoO :)

Speaking of allys, what does the rest of your party look like?

WOW, I'm quoting all of this... its that good. While I like the idea of a dip here or there. This is very good

Yeah, what he said!

Willie the Duck
2017-01-23, 07:30 AM
I agree, with one caveat. I would say that with all of those damaging cantrips available (shillelagh, thorn whip, sacred flame, GFB), you could even switch out your other arcane cantrip to instead be another utility one. Wizards have prestidigitation, mage hand, and minor illusion, all three of which are limited almost solely by your imagination.

solidork
2017-01-23, 04:54 PM
Minor Illusion has been supremely useful in nearly every game I've played in. I've used it to communicate with people who don't share a language, show the town guards the face of a criminal, show a war council the layout of the exterior defenses of an enemy stronghold, conceal a crouched PC as a rock and more. Last session, we had an NPC that wanted to trim their mustache and we used it as a pseudo mirror. Though... would an illusion of a mirror reflect light?

Klorox
2017-01-24, 01:40 PM

Speaking of allys, what does the rest of your party look like?wow, thank you.

I don't know if I'll take *all* the advice, but it's definitely a great starting point. I really appreciate it.

Rest of the party (as I understand it):

Sun cleric
Paladin (same god as the cleric)
Monk (following the same god as above)

LOL on those three.

Sorcerer
Rogue
Eldritch knight

Klorox
2017-01-24, 01:41 PM
I like it

And you can certainly add wisdom to damage twice, +10 at 8th level with shillelagh and potent spellcasting

Does the Arcana Cleric's Potent Spellcasting add +WIS mod damage to the 1st target of Green-Flame Blade, the 2nd, or both?

Potent Spellcasting adds to dmg. dealt by a cantrip. GFB: add to 2nd target, then to both targets at 5th lvl. #DnD

Arcane Cleric picks up BoomingBlade by Arcane Initiate. At level 8 (Potent Spellcasting), when is the WisMod added to dmg?

Potent Spellcasting adds to the cantrip's damage (booming blade, in this case), not the weapon's damage.

You know what, you got a 14 in dex. So why not start as a fighter, and get heavy armor since you are a hill dwarf and con saves. In fact put that 10 in dex and the 14 in strength, or vice versa, and put the 12 in intelligence or charisma.

Then go cleric and then at some point get 2 more level of fighter... eldritch knight for access to 3 more 1st level wizard spells, and now you can use the shield spell or absorb elements (dam you magic initiate) when you want to and get some other cantrips to boot

Your build is awesome

Oh and with heavy armor, like plate armor AC18, you can ditch the scale mail and shield now until you snag war caster.
The DM is not into multiclassing. Thank you for your suggestion though.

Zene
2017-01-24, 02:15 PM

Tough question. Personally, on my melee characters that have both, I really like having the option. It's true in my experience that booming blade's secondary effect rarely procs. But GFB's fire damage is often resisted, so having the option to do thunder damage instead is nice.

So I would advise getting both if you want to melee. But if there's another Wizard cantrip you really want, dropping BB isn't really a big deal. GFB you definitely still want to keep though, as your 8th-level feature Potent Spellcasting gives you +wis mod to damage on both the first and second targets, which is huge.

That said, there's really no need for you to be melee. If you're ok with not being a front-liner, you can drop BB, GFB, and Shillelagh, and just focus on ranged and utility cantrips. You'll give up a bit of at-will damage per round, but you can easily make that up by using spell slots; and you and your concentration-based spells will both be a lot safer if you're not on the front line.

But honestly, having the option to front-line is fun, so I would say take Shillelagh and GFB to keep that option open if you're not sure.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-01-24, 04:12 PM
Remember, you get to add your WIS mod to the damage you deal with ANY cleric cantrip starting at level 8. Any attack cantrips you get via arcane initiate count as cleric cantrips.
I... don't think that's true.

rooneg
2017-01-24, 04:21 PM

Arcane Initiate is the Arcana Cleric feature, it makes the cantrips into Cleric cantrips, so they do get the bonus.

Zene
2017-01-24, 05:19 PM

Relevant ruling from Crawford: http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/08/13/does-the-arcana-clerics-potent-spellcasting-add-wis-mod-damage/

Willie the Duck
2017-01-25, 07:15 AM
It would not be the case if you got the cantrip through multiclassing, being an elf, or taking Magic Initiate: some non-cleric class).

Grod_The_Giant
2017-01-25, 09:01 AM
Arcane Initiate is the Arcana Cleric feature, it makes the cantrips into Cleric cantrips, so they do get the bonus.
Whoops. For some reason I was reading that as Magical Initiate. My bad :smallredface:

DizzyWood
2017-01-25, 09:38 AM
The V bit is irrelevant. The important bit is the S vs S,M. If your spell has a material component and a somatic component the somatic component is effectively "holding the material component", and can be replaced by the whole "I've got a holy symbol on my shield" thing because the holy symbol is your material component and you're holding it while you hold your shield. If there's no material component then the somatic component is "do something funky with a free hand", and unless you have the War Caster feat you can't cast the spell while holding both a weapon and a shield, so you have to stow the weapon before you cast (using a free action), then you don't have your weapon out until your next turn, when you use another free action to draw it again. It's not a show stopper, but it's awkward and annoying.

I have this weird panic attack when I see this debate like I have been doing things wrong for years. But then I remember both my DMs generally don't care about this sort of thing. We switch stuff out of our hands regularly with nor problems a ruling. I guess my group is good with the whole you know the rules feel free to bend them. Just do not break them!

rooneg
2017-01-25, 09:57 AM
I have this weird panic attack when I see this debate like I have been doing things wrong for years. But then I remember both my DMs generally don't care about this sort of thing. We switch stuff out of our hands regularly with nor problems a ruling. I guess my group is good with the whole you know the rules feel free to bend them. Just do not break them!

To be clear, it's really not the sort of thing that is relevant terribly often. I mean how many times have you cast a spell with an S but not M component AND had the fact that your weapon was not in your hand until your next turn been theoretically relevant? It's basically only true if you made an opportunity attack or you've got a magic weapon that has some sort of special effect when you're holding it in your hand.

You want another weird edge case resulting from the rules about components and focuses that most people seem to miss? An Instrument of the Bards says you can get advantage on spells that give the charmed effect if you use it to cast them. Awesome right? Every bard should get them one of those! Except you know how many spells give the charmed effect AND have a material component (thus are actually able to be cast with an Instrument of the Bards)? Exactly 1, Hypnotic Pattern. Granted, Hypnotic Pattern is an awesome spell to have advantage on, but you're not getting this effect on more common spells like Charm Person or Suggestion, which most people I've encountered seem to assume is true.

nmitchell2
2017-02-12, 05:01 PM
An idea that I had that I haven't seen further up the thread is a small MC into Swashbuckler. If you're really into using GFB and BB as your main damage output, you could really benefit from Sneak Attack that works with both and Fancy Footwork can help you trigger the extra BB damage while simultaneously keeping you mobile and therefore safer. 3 levels is enough if you still want access to 9th level spells in the long run, or 4 levels lets you keep up in terms of ASIs. I wouldn't do this until after Cleric 8 though, you want +Wis mod to your cantrips damage.

agnos
2017-02-12, 06:33 PM
My recommendation is to be a Cleric 6/Druid 1. Arcana Cleric builds max out at 5 ASI (6 if Human). Generally they want Wisdom bump x2, Warcaster, Magic Initiate, and Resilient Con. But that means their build isn't "complete" until 19th level (or 16th if Human). Starting Druid is slightly better (int save vs Cha save and better skills). The benefit of a Druid dip is that you can drop most of your 1st level Cleric spells as you can take them off Druid and get the same benefit; this often gives you more power and versatility as you get the option to prepare 3-5 more high level spells that you wouldn't have. Plus, you get the best out of combat healing spell in Goodberry. You lose the odd level power spikes (from new levels of spells known) and can't wear metal armor. But in exchange for being "online" much earlier, it's worth it imo.

Rysto
2017-02-12, 06:59 PM
Losing metal armour is an absolute non-starter for any cleric IMO, but especially one that wants to be fighting on the front lines. Unless your DM is willing to cut you a break and come up with medium armour that's not metal, you shouldn't even consider it.

agnos
2017-02-12, 07:05 PM
Losing metal armour is an absolute non-starter for any cleric IMO, but especially one that wants to be fighting on the front lines. Unless your DM is willing to cut you a break and come up with medium armour that's not metal, you shouldn't even consider it.

Not true. Breastplate is commonly non-metal. And since Arcana Cleric is limited to medium armor (instead of heavy), the non-metal stipulation is far less detrimental. Usually, the best magic medium armors that are found are breastplate or scale mail (which is just barely worse).

Rysto
2017-02-12, 07:33 PM
Not true. Breastplate is commonly non-metal. And since Arcana Cleric is limited to medium armor (instead of heavy), the non-metal stipulation is far less detrimental. Usually, the best magic medium armors that are found are breastplate or scale mail (which is just barely worse).

Pretty sure that's a house rule, or maybe something from a previous edition. The PHB specifically says that Breastplate (as well as all other medium armour besides Hide) is made of metal.

rooneg
2017-02-12, 07:51 PM
Pretty sure that's a house rule, or maybe something from a previous edition. The PHB specifically says that Breastplate (as well as all other medium armour besides Hide) is made of metal.

If you're just walking into a shop then yeah, all you can get is metal (rules as written, anyway). That said, there are adventures that explicitly include magical armor that is not metal (I can think of one instance of Half Plate, one Breastplate and two sets of Scale Mail that have shown up in Adventurers League adventures just off the top of my head).

Rysto
2017-02-12, 08:01 PM
And that goes back to my previous point. If you can get explicit DM buy-in on non-metal medium armor, and you know that you'll get it relatively quickly, then go for it (although I'm not sure that I buy that a Druid dip is really worth it. If you really want some of the druid cantrips like Shillelagh or Thorn Whip, maybe.).

bid
2017-02-12, 10:39 PM
An idea that I had that I haven't seen further up the thread is a small MC into Swashbuckler.
Not with shillelagh and Dex14.

agnos
2017-02-13, 01:49 AM
Breastplate classically has been made from non-metal materials. It's not until the Middle Ages that breastplate was actually thought of as being made from iron or steel. Scalemail was almost always metal, but that's in a world without useful animal hide scales. In D&D there are bulettes, dragons, etc. which easily solves that issue. Hell one of the most worn and iconic armor in D&D is made from dragon hide and/or dragon scales. Sure, it might cost a bit more or take slightly longer; but I can't imagine a DM denying non-metal materials for breastplate and scalemail. The biggest issue for home games tends to be justifying Druid/Arcana Cleric mixes.

KnotaGuru
2017-02-13, 02:12 AM
Breastplate classically has been made from non-metal materials. It's not until the Middle Ages that breastplate was actually thought of as being made from iron or steel. Scalemail was almost always metal, but that's in a world without useful animal hide scales. In D&D there are bulettes, dragons, etc. which easily solves that issue. Hell one of the most worn and iconic armor in D&D is made from dragon hide and/or dragon scales. Sure, it might cost a bit more or take slightly longer; but I can't imagine a DM denying non-metal materials for breastplate and scalemail. The biggest issue for home games tends to be justifying Druid/Arcana Cleric mixes.

D&D is not history, it's fantasy, and you're trying to mix the 2. According to the PHB, scale mail is "armor that consists of a coat and leggings of leather covered with overlapping pieces of metal". Breastplate is "armor that consists of a fitted metal chest piece worn with supple leather". Half plate "consists of shaped metal plates that cover most of the wearer's body".

According to the DMG, dragon scale mail is a very rare item. It's recommended that characters don't see very rare items until level 11, as listed on p135 of the DMG. Now, DMs have the ultimate say, but any DM worth playing for isn't going to give out that kind of treasure during early adventuring.

nmitchell2
2017-02-13, 03:38 AM
Not with shillelagh and Dex14.

You're right, Shillelagh doesn't work with Finesse weapons and therefore doesn't work with Sneak Attack. Learn something new every day.

If the OP is prepared to swap his Dex and Con stats around, starting with 16 Dex/16 Con/18 Wis, he would certainly be able to take 3/4 levels of Swashbuckler and make a very powerful build. He already adds his Wis mod to GFB/BB, why not add 2d6 Sneak Attack damage and allow him to skirmish effectively with Fancy Footwork? He's already got Spiritual Weapon and Spirit Guardians by Cleric 5. Plus, this could free him up from taking Magic Initiate: Druid and allow him to take something else, like War Caster or +2 Dex/Wis. +2 Dex puts both Dex and Wis at 18, trading 8HP for the lack of first turn conflict between Shillelagh and Spiritual Weapon. Finally, taking Rogue levels gives you Expertise in Perception and another stat/Thieves Tools, Arcana Domain already effectively has Expertise in Arcana and this makes you very useful outside of combat. I would have started Rogue for the extra skill proficiency but that's not going to be missed too much.