PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Rare Magic item selection help

sflame56
2017-01-19, 01:43 AM
So after a quest I am doing in my campaign me and everyone in our group will get a rare magic item of our choice. So out of the items in the rare category what would you say would be best for a Blade-singer Wizard. I was thinking either the 4 elemental summon items or sun blade or flame tongue or sword of wounding. We are in storm kings thunder right now in our campaign so thinking what would be best in it (Not doing giant slayer since a party member already has one and want to do something else). For proficiency I have all the elf ones and wizard ones and rapier.

Specter
2017-01-19, 06:07 AM
I'll say what I always say: either a cool weapon if you want more offensive power, or Mantle of Spell Resistance if you want more defensive power.

hymer
2017-01-19, 06:13 AM
So after a quest I am doing in my campaign me and everyone in our group will get a rare magic item of our choice. So out of the items in the rare category what would you say would be best for a Blade-singer Wizard. I was thinking either the 4 elemental summon items or sun blade or flame tongue or sword of wounding. We are in storm kings thunder right now in our campaign so thinking what would be best in it (Not doing giant slayer since a party member already has one and want to do something else). For proficiency I have all the elf ones and wizard ones and rapier.

Just how much do you rely on your weapon? I get that it's attractive to have a nice sword, but I'd expect you could get more mileage out of something else.
Some other thoughts: How much would you gain from an Amulet of Health? Or an Ioun Stone of awareness?

Edit: Cloak of Displacement is also rare, I think. Not sure you need the defence, but with this you could become virtually untouchable by attack rolls.

jaappleton
2017-01-19, 06:57 AM
It's easy to want more offensive power. It is.

But you can easily turn the Bladesinger into a defensive monster.

Mantle of Spell Resistance is the wise pick here. Think of it; Advantage on saves against magic.

Enemy throws a Cone of Cold at you. If you fail your save, that's going to hurt. Well, it'll hurt regardless. Now you have advantage on that save. And now you decide whether or not to cast Absorb Elements to half that.

sflame56
2017-01-19, 09:55 AM
Just how much do you rely on your weapon? I get that it's attractive to have a nice sword, but I'd expect you could get more mileage out of something else.
Some other thoughts: How much would you gain from an Amulet of Health? Or an Ioun Stone of awareness?

Edit: Cloak of Displacement is also rare, I think. Not sure you need the defence, but with this you could become virtually untouchable by attack rolls.

I try to use my sword as much as I can but since I have the hp of a wizard I can't exactly block to much damage. I do have an ac of 19 with blade song active and an bump it up to 24 with shield spell so I can go melee a bit. Mostly looking for non consentration magic items since I use my consentration for haste.