PDA

View Full Version : What are your opinions on the Hyperconscious book

SangoProduction
2017-01-19, 06:24 AM
I heard of this third party book in a thread talking about why Complete Psionics is bad. And, before it was closed for necromancy, someone mentioned Hyperconsciousness, and called it "what complete psionics should have been". Interesting opinion. But the opinion of one is hardly something to base a judgement on. Can I get some more as I dive in to the book?

frogglesmash
2017-01-19, 06:27 AM
"What complete psionics should have been" Really sums up my opinion of the book.

SangoProduction
2017-01-19, 06:58 AM
Question about Latent Psi abilities feats: The bit of text says the powers can't be augmented.

Latent Psi Feats
Those who already possess a smidgen of
psionic aptitude can sometimes call upon
buried latent psi feats. Latent psi abilities
cannot be augmented.

This overrides the fact that psi-like abilities are auto-augmented?

EDIT Hmm. I guess the fact that it specifies Manifester level 1 as what it's manifested with, in all of those feats...OK, I guess it doesn't matter one way or the other.

Magic items seem quite underpriced, even beyond the dream gift items, which halves the cost and manifester level requirements for crafting items.

Got to the Powers section. Quite a few traps added in there (a whole bunch of +2 to a specific skill, Stabilize Construct, and what have you), but...there are some good ones too, like Sleep and Psychic Bodyguard. And a level 1 power that gives miss chance (that stacks) so goodbye sneak attacks lol.

Also a power to destroy your magic items (Expunge Psionic Circuit) as a level 3 power, which I would hate for a DM to use on me, even if I ever used Psionic Tattoos.

SangoProduction
2017-01-19, 02:44 PM
The prestige classes...some are rather trashy. Others seem quite powerful, like the chakra savant which can restore 150 power points at level 10, after 10 to 200 minutes, depending on your reading. While others still just seem buggy, like Crystal Proselyte, which has a prerequisite for you to break an item of 100 gp to infuse essence in to your flesh...and then the class ability to do so. Problem is getting that ability before you get in to the class. lol.

Perhaps it's the lens I'm looking through (it's what "that book" should have been) that's just making me view it rather critically. On the whole it's not incredibly bad, and gives content to the under-supported system of psionics. Nothing else really strikes me as incredible, outside of some of the powers.

Venger
2017-01-19, 08:52 PM
it's very imaginative and has some killer concepts and beautiful art. if you can ignore the 3.0 psionics rules, it functions smoothly in a normal 3.5 game. I'd recommend picking up a copy

Vortenger
2017-01-20, 06:22 PM
Hyperconcious was written by Bruce Cordell, who crafted the 3.5 psionics system. It didn't have the level if playtesting or editing that WotC products have, so there are a few rough edges throughout the book. The content is what people mean by better than CPsi. It is also more internally consistent with the psionic design put forth in th XPH.

The ideas, races, classes and powers within are far more evocative than its WotC counterpart. Compare the Ectopic Adept vs its metacreativity counterpart in Hyper to see what i mean. Certainly there some chaff in the book, but there is a high percentage of usable material in there. Several PRC's are actually worth using and the lucid cenobite actually makes for a strong monk (without tashalatora). The kuresh race is awesome. The list goes on. In the end, i agree. It was a better CPsi entry for the game.