PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with armor made out of different materials?

krunchyfrogg
2017-01-19, 10:49 AM
I'm looking to get the best medium armor I can for a level 8 mountain dwarf wizard.

Since I'm bringing in a new character to an existing campaign, the DM is open to suggestions.

I seem to remember some heavy armors being considered medium, but IDK if that works if you're only proficient in medium. Hell, I don't even remember if that's this edition or not LMAO

Lalliman
2017-01-19, 10:56 AM
You're probably thinking of mithral armour from 3.5. Mithral armour exists in 5e, but all it does is remove the penalty on Stealth checks.

Is the DM willing to give you a magic item? If yes, how powerful?

If no, the regular armour types are pretty much your only options. As far as I know, 5e doesn't have the fancy equipment variants that 3.5 has.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-01-19, 10:59 AM
I'm looking to get the best medium armor I can for a level 8 mountain dwarf wizard.

Since I'm bringing in a new character to an existing campaign, the DM is open to suggestions.

I seem to remember some heavy armors being considered medium, but IDK if that works if you're only proficient in medium. Hell, I don't even remember if that's this edition or not LMAO

You're probably getting editions confused. Armour is very simple in 5e - check page 145 of the PHB. Anything not there is considered a magic item (but there aren't many of those around, either).

krunchyfrogg
2017-01-19, 11:38 AM
Thanks guys. He told me "any armor +1"

Half plate is the best medium armor, right?

CursedRhubarb
2017-01-19, 11:47 AM
Thanks guys. He told me "any armor +1"

Half plate is the best medium armor, right?

Depends on if you want to be sneaky or not and what you can carry.

Half Plate is the highest AC at 15+Dex (max 2), but gives disadvantage on stealth and weighs 40lbs.

Breastplate is 1AC lower at 14+Dex (max 2) but does not affect stealth and weighs 20lbs.

The Shadowdove
2017-01-19, 02:52 PM
Boost that dex to 15 and grab medium armor mastery.

It'll make that +1 half-plate shine baby. Making it the same ac as +1 full plate, without disadvantage to Stealth.

Specter
2017-01-19, 08:04 PM
You could go scale mail mithral armor to remove the stealth penalty and get 15-17AC, or grab a breastplate adamantine armor for 14-16 without even receiving a critical hit. Other that, it's PHB for you.

Dalebert
2017-01-20, 10:20 AM
Boost that dex to 15 and grab medium armor mastery.

Why 15 rather than 14?

Hawkstar
2017-01-20, 10:33 AM
Why 15 rather than 14?

He seems to be under the impression that Medium Armor Mastery allows someone to boost their DEX by 1 (Not saying it shouldn't, but it doesn't, and that's one reason the feat's terrible)

You need a 16 DEX to take advantage of Medium Armor Mastery.