PDA

View Full Version : Pseudodragon Shares

Mike_Lemmer
2007-07-19, 07:05 PM
A pseudodragon has been traveling with our party for a while. His main contribution has been suggestions and keeping in telepathic contact with our scouts. If you were going to pay him for his services, how much would you give him (Share fractions? Set rate?) and in what form? (Coins? Spare magic items?)

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-07-19, 07:08 PM
Lots of catnip and petting. :smallsmile:

It DOES say that they're really catlike in the description...

Kurald Galain
2007-07-19, 07:13 PM
Pay it in pseudogold?

Quietus
2007-07-19, 07:15 PM
Take a look at what sort of horde you'd expect for a Wyrmling white dragon - CR 2 dragon, vs the psuedodragon's CR 1. I'd try to give it around 1/10 of that per adventure arc, or approximately 1/10 of the net gains the party made, after expenses such as raise dead and the like, whichever is more. Neither should be too big a hit to the wealth level, but it's enough to show the psuedodragon it's appreciated.

As far as preference in what to give it, I'd look at items that improve its ability to survive (invisibility items and such), followed by gems. If it's been with you a while and accumulates a fair amount of stuff, perhaps do the thoughtful thing and buy it a specially-sized Heward's Handy Haversack or Bag of Holding.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-07-19, 07:23 PM
It DOES say that they're really catlike in the description...
Indeed. If you get into a lot of the stuff written about psuedodragons outside of the Monster Manual, you find that pseudodragons are addicted to being pampered. They think they're the best thing around and expect to be treated like it. Psuedodragons generally only chose to travel with companions willing to give them that kind of attention.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-07-19, 07:40 PM
Indeed. If you get into a lot of the stuff written about psuedodragons outside of the Monster Manual, you find that pseudodragons are addicted to being pampered. They think they're the best thing around and expect to be treated like it. Psuedodragons generally only chose to travel with companions willing to give them that kind of attention.

We already pamper him. Debating whether to take it a step further by actually giving him loot.

Korias
2007-07-19, 08:00 PM
Give him comfortable sleeping arangements. Such as a pillow.
Give him fish. All the Pseudodragons Ive encountered has a strange liking to fish. It could be my GM, but fish is easy to come by.

JellyPooga
2007-07-19, 08:04 PM
Give him comfortable sleeping arangements. Such as a pillow.

A magic pillow of comfortable-ness! And a Plate of Endless Sweet-meats (think Decanter of Endless Water, but with tasty treats instead of water).

Superglucose
2007-07-19, 11:42 PM
Hee hee... Pseudodragons have been banned in my group because one of our players broke one. 60 AC at level 15, none of us are sure just how he did it. But if the MM is right, I think just pampering, feeding, and being generally nice to it and the woods and the world are good enough. They are happy to help good creatures, and will serve faithfully like a pegasus, right? Be stingy.

TheOOB
2007-07-19, 11:45 PM
Well, it is a dragon (well a fake dragon), so I imagine it does like gold. Something like 1 gp a month/week/day would be enough to make it have its own little hoard to be proud of without seriously affecting your wealth. Generally speaking, only PCs get "shares", most NPCs charge a flat rate.