PDA

View Full Version : 1001 Movie adaption's you'd like to see

Grod_The_Giant
2007-07-19, 07:13 PM
This is a simple enough thread. What books and/or characters would you like to see made into a GOOD movie (ala LotR, not Catwomen :smallyuk: ).

1. A Superman movie where he fights an actual super-villain, not just Lex Luthor.
2. A JLA movie. No questions asked.
3. A Green Lantern move. Preferably with Alan Scott. You can't say that it wouldn't look awesome,
4. A trilogy of the (chronological) first three Drizz't books. While we all hate his rip-offs, the first the books were pure awesome.

2007-07-19, 07:35 PM
5. The Dark Tower made into a movie, all seven of them.
6. A Halo movie made ala "Saving Private Ryan" documentary style
7. Watchmen
8. Metal Gear Solid
9. Deapool (with Wade played by Ryan Renolds)
10. Sabriel (book by Garth Nix)

Hell Puppi
2007-07-19, 08:09 PM
I cannot agree more:

1. DARK TOWER!!!

I am a raging DT fangirl.

2.More H.P. Lovecraft movies. Preferably more modern or well-done Victorian era

Flabbicus
2007-07-19, 08:31 PM
I cannot agree more:

1. DARK TOWER!!!

A Nyarlathotep anthology ala Grindhouse with seperate parts would be amazing.

Also,

12. Cat's Cradle: this would be worth watching if done correctly and not butchered beyond all recognition

Grod_The_Giant
2007-07-19, 09:08 PM
5. The Dark Tower made into a movie, all seven of them.
6. A Halo movie made ala "Saving Private Ryan" documentary style
7. Watchmen
8. Metal Gear Solid
9. Deapool (with Wade played by Ryan Renolds)
10. Sabriel (book by Garth Nix)

I think there is a Watchmen movie in the works...*checks Wikipedia*...ah yes, so there it. Moore didn't like it, but said the script was "as close as [he] could imagine anyone getting to Watchmen".

I second Sabriel.

Vespe Ratavo
2007-07-19, 09:12 PM
13: DEADRISINGDEADRISINGDEADRISINGDEADRISING

DEAD RISING!

That would be so awesome if they did it right...

Ranis
2007-07-19, 09:15 PM
I would like to see a good Daredevil movie.

Also, a resolution to the Matrix trilogy.

And a Hobbit movie.

Amotis
2007-07-19, 11:40 PM
17. The Internet: The Movie

Vespe Ratavo
2007-07-19, 11:51 PM

"im ur dad lol"
"OMGWTFBBQ!??!!??!?!"

"ths is sparta!11!11eleven! XD"

Of course, 99% of the movie would have to be censored... :smallamused:

blackout
2007-07-20, 12:25 AM
Still, alot goes on in the internet....they would still have plenty to work with.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-07-20, 12:28 AM
I'm very skeptical to both the Watchmen and the Dark Tower movies. They're both written in a way that is very hard to convey in the film medium, same with the Cthulhu Mythos.

The Dark Tower peaked at Wizard and Glass. But hells, the books leading up to it were amazing. The ending? Not so much.

Lemur
2007-07-20, 12:31 AM
And a Hobbit movie.

There already is one.

Isn't that what ytmnd is?

Amotis
2007-07-20, 12:42 AM
Isn't that what ytmnd is?

No._______

Hell Puppi
2007-07-20, 01:38 AM
Personally I loved the ending to the DT, but thats me.

I think a movie would be extremely hard to do (could you imagine what people who've never read the books would think?), but doesn't mean I don't want to see it:smallbiggrin:

Namaste123
2007-07-20, 01:52 AM
I am completely on the line about the ending of DT, however, Wizard and Glass I didn't like, I didn't like Song of Suzannah, either. My favorite out of the series was book 7, that Dark Tower.

I'd like to see an adaptation of the second story in the book Hearts in Atlantis. It was as good as the first, which the movie was based on.

Dronin
2007-07-20, 02:29 AM
I would like to see a Metroid movie:smallbiggrin:

Possibly Zelda:smallconfused:

factotum
2007-07-20, 07:17 AM
1. A Superman movie where he fights an actual super-villain, not just Lex Luthor.

We already had that one--it was called Superman 2. Sure, it was made back in 1980, but the big fight scene between the evil Kryptonites and Superman is still all kinds of awesome.

As for a movie I'd like to see that HASN'T already been done, how about a decent Hellblazer movie? With someone who can actually act playing the part of John Constantine?

Kurald Galain
2007-07-20, 07:23 AM
Amber.

Hands down.

GimliFett
2007-07-20, 09:04 AM
Here's some:
[LIST]
24 G.I.Joe
25 Running with the Demon (The Word/Void series by Terry Brooks)
26 The Hobbit (a good, live-action version, that fits with the Trilogy)
27 Star Wars, Dark Empire
28 I'll throw my name into the Dark Tower series. Might be better as an anime adaptation, a la Spawn on Showtime back in the day. Actually a lot of good books would probably work best in this manner.
29 Stephen King's Insomnia -- behind the Dark Tower, among his best books EVER!
30 Coldfire Trilogy by CS Friedman -- OMFG!
31 Cabinet of Curiosities and most other Agent Pendergast books by Preston & Child.
32 Masque by Wilson & Costello; nice, cyberpunky book with changelings!
33 Dragonlance (Original 2 trilogies); this would also probably work best as anime adaptation a la Spawn.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-07-20, 09:12 AM
I should clarify number 1: A Superman movie where he fights classic villains, like Metallo or Mongel.

and we're on number 34, for future reference.

PlatinumJester
2007-07-20, 09:24 AM
A resident evil film which sticks to the plot and doesn't have random characters called Alice in them.

A hitman film.

A Journey to The West Film. The Gorillaz musical looks great as well.

A samurai Champloo film.

An Eragon film which doesn't suck arse.

Morty
2007-07-20, 09:29 AM
34. The Witcher(Wiedźmin) novels and/or saga, but this time in non-crappy way.

Jerthanis
2007-07-20, 09:34 AM
3$.) Acts of Caine by Matthew Woodring Stover, particularly Heroes Die, which is more easily adapted to cinema than the more cerebral sequel, Blade of Tyshalle

Pie-time.) Thief: The Dark Project/Metal Age/Deadly Shadows

JabberwockySupafly
2007-07-20, 09:38 AM
I could easily name a few movies I'd like to see made, but most of them would be impossible just to the sheer enormity of the task.

American Gods would be nice, but no way to make it into a movie, it'd have to be a TV Series or a seriously huge set of movies.
Same with Preacher, although this is being made into a TV Series through HBO, last I heard.
Joss Whedon's Fray would be good fun, i think.
I would love to see Good Omens finally get film-a-fied, but it keeps getting canceled. Also, without Gilliam to direct, i'd be wary of anyone else picking it up.
A properly created "silver screen" Discworld movie would be great, but it wouldn't work right. Most of the really good parts of Pratchett's books are in the descriptions. (Ex: The wind howled. The lightning stabbed at the earth erratically, like an inefficient assassin.)
The Time Traveller's Wife would make a good movie. If you haven't read the book, do so. Love story, time travel,sounds like a "chick lit" book, really not.
Sandman... a man can dream, right? After all the original script (http://www.wordplayer.com/archives/SANDMAN.cover.html) wasn't too bad.
The Original Dragonlance Trilogy would be fantasmabastic on film, if done correctly, and not like that dreadful D&D movie...

All I can really think of at this moment. I read Dark Tower, but gotta agree with Shadow on this one, Wizard & Glass was really the last good one in the series.

Indurain
2007-07-20, 09:43 AM
I could easily name a few movies I'd like to see made, but most of them would be impossible just to the sheer enormity of the task.

American Gods would be nice, but no way to make it into a movie, it'd have to be a TV Series or a seriously huge set of movies.
Same with Preacher, although this is being made into a TV Series through HBO, last I heard.
Joss Whedon's Fray would be good fun, i think.
I would love to see Good Omens finally get film-a-fied, but it keeps getting canceled. Also, without Gilliam to direct, i'd be wary of anyone else picking it up.
A properly created "silver screen" Discworld movie would be great, but it wouldn't work right. Most of the really good parts of Pratchett's books are in the descriptions. (Ex: The wind howled. The lightning stabbed at the earth erratically, like an inefficient assassin.)
The Time Traveller's Wife would make a good movie. If you haven't read the book, do so. Love story, time travel,sounds like a "chick lit" book, really not.
Sandman... a man can dream, right? After all the original script (http://www.wordplayer.com/archives/SANDMAN.cover.html) wasn't too bad.
The Original Dragonlance Trilogy would be fantasmabastic on film, if done correctly, and not like that dreadful D&D movie...

All I can really think of at this moment. I read Dark Tower, but gotta agree with Shadow on this one, Wizard & Glass was really the last good one in the series.

I was getting worried until this post.

SANDMAN!!

I have others, but that's the only one that matters.

Telonius
2007-07-20, 09:45 AM
Yes. Dark Tower movie. We must have it!
So, if we blot out the memory of any TV adaptation called "Earthsea..."

36. Make a good version of the Earthsea series.
37. Gilgamesh.
38. The Dark is Rising sequence.

Griemont
2007-07-20, 09:54 AM
39. Iron Ma...wait. :smallconfused:
40. Legendary Studios signed up to do movie versions of all three major Blizzard franchises (The Crafts and Diablo), but they dropped the only one that really might have turned out good, StarCraft. :smallannoyed: So yeah, StarCraft: The Movie sounds pretty good to me (just not with that name :smalltongue:)

TheElfLord
2007-07-20, 12:49 PM
41. The Brother's War by Jeff Grub

Have to second the Word/Viod series by Terry Brooks

42. Any of the Shannara books by Terry Brooks

I thought the Dark is rising was okay, but didn't like how the good guys win everything in every book.

Greebo
2007-07-20, 12:57 PM
And a hobbit movie.

There already is one.

No, really, a GOOD one. The animated version ... well it sucks. I mean it was ok when I was 8, but...yeesh. Compared to Jackson's LOTR? We need a real one.

And I'd also love to see the Chronicles of Amber. Just the first set, not the Merlin series. Bleah.

FireSpark
2007-07-20, 01:11 PM
43. The Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan.

In all honessty though, even a series of a dozen movies, each four hours in length, would not do justice to this book series. IMHO, the Wheel of Time Series needs to be made into a TV series. With a minimum of 14 episodes a season. One season per book. One book could probably be well served with 14 hours of story telling.

And on a more childhood fantasy front:

44. VOLTRON

Ishmael
2007-07-20, 02:18 PM
Well, seeing as HBO is making A Song of Ice and Fire, I can't complain...

The Hobbit, though, was written as a children's novel more so than anything. I mean, compared to the later works of Tolkien, the book is just childish. I don't think it would adapt well into the epic, Peter Jacksonian movie type.

They are making A Dragonlance movie (http://www.dragonlance-movie.com/). It's going to be animated, though. they do have some great voice actors lined up. I don't know how well the production is going to be, seeing as it doesn't have the money as some massive film companies. I suppose you don't have to have a lot of money to make a good movie, though.

Griemont
2007-07-20, 02:36 PM
Well, I personally thought that the LOTR movies were actually far better than the books, and since I also think that the Hobbit was much better than the trilogy...it's fine as is. The Hobbit had a sort of feeling to it that just wouldn't work as a movie. :smallconfused:

Penguinizer
2007-07-20, 03:07 PM
A World War 2 movie, shot mainly in First Person, with the end being the main character getting shot, where the camera pans away. Showing the full scale of the battle. Not focused in combat, but the fear and such in-between battles.

Tibuis
2007-07-20, 03:10 PM
45 (I think that is what we are on)...Instead of Transformers or Voltron how about we do the classic and get a Robotech movie out there

46 The Darkness comic would be nice (however, they would probably make a PG-13 version of it)

47 Or the old D&D saturday morning cartoon turned into live action

Penguinizer
2007-07-20, 03:11 PM
47 Or the old D&D saturday morning cartoon turned into live action

I'm with that if The warrior is using ToB stuff. Instant cool points.

Lord of the Helms
2007-07-20, 05:05 PM
A Hobbit movie, under the condition that Peter Jackson will be drawn and quartered if he so much as thinks about getting within a ten-mile-radius of the creation of said movie, could be worthwhile.

As they're supposed to be making a Luke Cage movie, Iron Fist followed by Heroes for Hire is pretty much obligatory :smallwink:

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-07-20, 05:39 PM
I'm with that if The warrior is using ToB stuff. Instant cool points.

Absolutely. Have to do something with that budget =_) That would make me want to see it immediately; other than the Coolness factor.

From what I hear there is going to be an Elric of Melnibourne (sp?) movie. Rumors, petty rumors.

48: the Elder Scrolls series (Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion). All kinds of awesome, all different; but the same in their own way.

Jimmy Discordia
2007-07-20, 06:02 PM
49. The Invisibles. Not sure how you'd make it work as a movie, but it would be all kinds of trippy.

Wait, we already have The Matrix...

And I second (third? fourth? fifth? whatever) Sandman. And the Dark Tower. Only to really capture either of them, you'd need a ridiculous number of movies. In the Dark Tower's case, I think the ending to book 7 would work nicely in movie form... I'm still undecided about whether I liked it or not in the book.

50. Lucifer (Mike Carey's comics, based on his portrayal in Sandman). With the same caveat as Sandman.

A few weeks ago, I would have said His Dark Materials, but then I found out the first one is already coming out in December... here's hoping they don't screw it up.

Jimmy Discordia
2007-07-20, 06:07 PM
Oh, also... 51. A version of V for Vendetta where they actually get V right. Not to turn this into an alignment discussion, but I've always felt that V in the comics = Chaotic Neutral, V in the movie = Chaotic Good. We need more Chaotic Neutral heroes!

And I can't remember who said this, but I agree that a properly-done Hellblazer movie would be awesome. Constantine... sucked. They even pronounced his NAME wrong!

Roupe
2007-07-21, 12:04 AM
Live action

Blade of the Immortal
Macross superdimensional fortress
Legacy of Cain :Blood omens, Soul Reaver

Hell Puppi
2007-07-21, 02:42 AM
Yesssss....Golden Compassssss....
Another thing I am a raging fangirl of. Here's hoping that they don't screw it up *raises glass*. I heard they were going to take the 'religious' parts out of it, but from what I've seen of the trailers it's pretty much the book.

Everything else that'd I'd REALLY want already has plans to be put into production, though I will say that I would also like Revil (resident Evil) along the lines of the actual game, hopefully with leon in it, but that's me.

wowy319
2007-07-21, 03:00 AM
I personally would love a movie version of Marvel's Runaways. That comic is just too awesome for words.

In addition to that, if it were at all possible, a movie adaptation of Marvel's Civil War series. Barring that, a Captain America movie that doesn't suck. And an RE4 movie would be sweet, too. Not to mention a movie based on Silent hill 2. The movie they made was cool (in my opinion), but SH2 would be sweet to see in theaters.

Jimmy Discordia
2007-07-21, 03:58 AM
Yesssss....Golden Compassssss....
Another thing I am a raging fangirl of. Here's hoping that they don't screw it up *raises glass*. I heard they were going to take the 'religious' parts out of it, but from what I've seen of the trailers it's pretty much the book.

The rumor I heard along that line was that they were going to take out any references to God... at first I thought, "well, then there's no story," but then I realized that I'm pretty sure the books never actually mention God by name. So... if they cut the religious bits out entirely, the story is absolutely neutered (see earlier references to Constantine), but if they simply avoid ever actually saying "God"... did Pullman ever actually call him anything other than "The Authority"?

So yes. Here's hoping they don't screw it up... I'll drink to that. Again. (I drank to it the first time, you just didn't see me) :smallwink:

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I think the girl they found to play Lyra is perfect for the part. I've only seen little bits of her acting from the trailer, but as far as I'm concerned she's at least got the Lyra "look". And Daniel Craig as Lord Asriel = win.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-07-21, 04:24 AM
I've been talking about the Dark Tower movie being made with a friend, and our consensus is: Noooooooooooo!

IT MUST NOT HAPPEN!

GimliFett
2007-07-21, 10:22 AM
52? How 'bout the Guardians of the Flame series? Karl Cullinane and crew ROCKED!

Mephibosheth
2007-07-21, 10:26 AM
(I think we're on) 61 - The story of Beren and Luthien from The Silmarillion - The Silmarillion is my favorite of Tolkien's works, but in its entirety it would be far to long for a movie or even a triology. However, the story of Beren and Luthien brings the overarching plot elements of the Quenta Silmarillion down to a more manageable level, and has pretty much everything you need for a movie. I think it would turn out great if properly made. The story of Turin Turambar might work too.

EntilZha
2007-07-21, 01:29 PM
I cannot agree more:

1. DARK TOWER!!!

"At the Mountains of Madness" would make a great movie. They could use Wayne Barlowe's conceptual art for the Elder Things (as seen in his book "Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials).

I'm reading "Childhood's End" by Arthur C. Clarke right now, and I think it would be a good movie. Two character choices right off the top of my head:

Alan Rickman - U.N. Secretary General Rikki Stormgren
Rik Mayall - Rupert Boyce

Tam_OConnor
2007-07-22, 12:26 AM
Let me arbitrarily decide we're at 53, cause 52 is the last number I remember seeing (number your movies please, folks).

53) Conan. It could actually work as a massive budget (read: HBO) TV series. But as much as I love the Schwarzenegger version, it's very much condensed. C'mon, I want to see Conan in the City of Thieves! Or, better yet, The Phoenix And The Sword/By This Axe I Rule! (Yes, I know it's a Kull story. It's a rewrite. Shush).

54) Danger Girl. [Comic book] So it's practically a movie already, and they'd have a devil of a time finding that many gorgeous gals....but whatever. And while we're on comic books:

55) Elfquest. I'm afraid it would have to animated, so their wouldn't be terribly much point...

56) Saberhagen's Book of Swords. If only to see the Twelve in action...

57) Jack Whyte's Camulod Chronicles. Another candidate for HBO...

58) Any of the Eddings' series. The Redemption of Althalus is the shortest, but they could milk at least two films out of it then...

59) All the Dragerea novels by Brust. Realistically, though, Brokedown Palace and the Phoenix Guard (and sequels). For the second, you'd need one heck of a narrator to keep the same flavor...pity about that; it's pretty much vital.

60) Turning the Shackled City, Age of Worms or Savage Tide adventure paths in Dungeon magazine into video games would be awesome. And epic. And probably failures, but let's not dwell on that...

Talya
2007-07-22, 01:28 AM
Knights of the Old Republic (the Bioware game), so that someone can remind George Lucas how to weave real plot, character, and dialogue into his setting.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-07-22, 02:43 AM
48: the Elder Scrolls series (Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion). All kinds of awesome, all different; but the same in their own way.

If I can be honest I don't think a movie would be able to capture the sheer scope of any of those games. It'd have to be a TV series at the very least. My opinion is that games are able to have longer storylines than most movies, because they have to hold your attention longer than a movie does. Most RPGs I've played seem to be too long for a film, but are perfect fodder for a miniseries, or a TV series as I've said.

I agree that the Hobbit isn't epic in the sense that Lord of the Rings was, but I'd like to see a live action version of it, maybe bringing Ian Holm back as Bilbo, and Ian McKellan as Gandalf of course.

As for the Star Wars stuff, I have this to say. Forget it. Lucas isn't making anymore Star Wars films. It's TV shows from here on out.

I'd actually like to see a faithful rendition of the Faust story, probably with Goethe's version. A classic story of arrogance, knowledge, love, torment and ultimately redemption.

Come to think of it, I'd like to see an adaptation of Planescape: Torment as well. Probably would have to be a miniseries though.

Quezovercoatl
2007-07-22, 09:15 AM
Off the top of my head:
62 Consider Phlebas by Iain M Banks.
63 Look To Windward by Iain M Banks.
64 hell any of the Culture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture) novels.
65 the HALO novels (The Fall Of Reach, The Flood, First Strike and Ghosts Of Onyx)
66 Ravenor by Dan Abnett.
67 Ravenor Returned by Dan Abnett.
68 Ravenor Rogue by Dan Abnett (have not actually read it yet but if it is anything like the first two)
69 Hyperion by Dan Simmons (would probably do better as a seven part miniseries)
70 the Earthsea novels by Ursula Le Guin.
Also seconding Kotor and The Hobbit.

FireSpark
2007-07-24, 09:50 AM
I second the vote for Hyperion, and agree that a mini-series would be about the only way to go about it. Although, I couldn't settle for just Hyperion, and would love to see Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, and Rise of Endymion added to an overall series as well.

And to add a new number to the list:

71. Cowboy Bebop: the Live Action Movie :smallsmile:

Joran
2007-07-24, 10:41 AM
I'm reading "Childhood's End" by Arthur C. Clarke right now, and I think it would be a good movie.

Great book, but I don't think it'll translate well as a movie. There's a large time jump in the middle of the book, and the audience will probably get lost. It'll probably work best as a mini-series and even then, I don't think it's really visually compelling.

Personally, I'm holding out hope for that Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time movie won't suck. It's one of the few video games whose plot is straight-forward enough and deep enough that it should translate well.

GimliFett
2007-07-24, 11:02 AM
72. Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card.
73. I'd like to see a Shadowrun movie; probably animated.

I'll Second the Cowboy Bebop live-action. To see someone handle the battle between Vicious and Spike at the end? Wow. Simply wow. Gimme JOHN WOO!

Meshakhad
2007-07-24, 11:03 AM
72. The Antares novels by Michael McCollum (Antares Dawn, Antares Passage, Antares Victory). A trilogy of great sci-fi novels that nobody else seems to have heard of. Only catch is that the first two books have relatively little combat.
73. Halo. Needs to be done.
74. The Time of Troubles - from the FR setting, where all the gods got forced into avatar form, causing major destruction. I've even got a tagline: "Even the gods must answer to someone". The biggest problem is finding decent actors. The only one I can think of would be Ian MacKellan to play Ilmater.

ForzaFiori
2007-07-24, 11:14 AM
All of these are live action of course.

75: The Phule Series, by Robert Asprin

76: Halo. both games and all the books.

77: Xanth novels, by Piers Anthony

78: Waylander Saga, by David Gemmel

79: Drusk the Legend Saga, by David Gemmel

80: Stones of Power Sage, by David Gemmel

81: The Hobbit, staying true to the storyline (so keep Peter Jackson away from it)

82: LOTR, staying true to the storyline (so once again, Peter Jackson, stay away)

83: Starcraft (probably would be both a cool TV series or Movie)

84: Redwall Series, i forget the author.

Deepblue706
2007-07-24, 12:54 PM
Yeah, I hope you guys all realize, almost none of these could possibly provide a strong basis for a movie. At best, they'd provide the garbage you'd find on the Science Fiction channel at 3pm, showing right after Velociraptor 9: Velociraptors in SPACE, and just before Stan Lee's The Harpies, with Stephen Baldwin. I would probably see very few of the adaptions you guys have mentioned, because I have no doubt most would absolutely suck.

That said, there should totally be a Megaman movie.

sealemon
2007-07-24, 01:12 PM
Hmmm....adaptations that would actually translate into a GOOD movie...

Frank Miller's Ronin. The novel was basically written as if it was a movie anyway; No narration, no thought balloons, and the art was blocked and viewed in a cinematic way. Never mind that the story itself rocks hard.

I think Deed of Paksinarion trilogy would work too, with some minor tweeks in the name of adaptation.

Somebloke
2007-07-24, 01:49 PM
Live action

Blade of the Immortal

You would need a miniseries, at the very least...

Who on earth would you get to play everyone's favorite tough-as-nails suicidal immortal?

Equlan
2007-07-24, 02:19 PM
85. Someone already mentioned this, but it bears repeating: the story of Turin Turambar from The Silmarillion (or one of the other versions that has been published by now, I'm only familiar with one or two of them, I think.. I suppose matching and mixing would be necessary). The lotr movies were awesome in my point of view, even though they had to make cuts, obviously. Turin Turambar is definitely one of my favourite stories from the Silmarillion, in all its darkness and sorrow. Great stuff.

86. Baldur's Gate as a series. Probably wouldn't work, but worth a shot :)

Scorpina
2007-07-24, 03:10 PM
Not that I'm at all sure how/if it could be pulled off, but I'd love to see a Paradise Lost film.

skreweded
2007-07-24, 03:11 PM
All of these are live action of course.

84: Redwall Series, i forget the author.

Brian Jacques
And I totally agree. Would work very well. Can only see it being a bad movie at the fault of the director.

ravenkith
2007-07-24, 03:14 PM
I've got to be honest: fantasy and comic books are making a comeback.

Gone are the days of Arnold's Conan and Lou's Hercules; instead we have Harry Potter, Spiderman, and Aragorn (a la Jackson).

Only in todays climate could a series of seven films be made (5 of which have pretty much the same cast, so far - though they'd better wrap 'em up quick).

Trilogies are a dime a dozen these days...and books with built in fan bases and lots of flash are sure to be at least considered.

With that in mind, Ender's Game will almost certainly be made, eventually.

86. Riftworld - Feist

87. Edding's SparHawk books (at least the first trilogy)

88. a freakin' ninja movie that doesn't reek of 80s hatred....

Penguinizer
2007-07-24, 03:26 PM
I'm kinda thinking of a Devil May Cry live action.

Then again, too much awesome.

GimliFett
2007-07-24, 03:29 PM
I'm kinda thinking of a Devil May Cry live action.

Then again, too much awesome.

How 'bout Tales of Symphonia live-action, Penguinizer? ;)

ForzaFiori
2007-07-24, 03:38 PM
the various saga's of Raymond E. Feist's Midkemia novels.

Dib
2007-07-25, 04:51 AM
33 Dragonlance (Original 2 trilogies); this would also probably work best as anime adaptation a la Spawn.

You know, they're already working on the animated movie for that? Loved that series as well :smallbiggrin:

anyway, my list...

92. An animated JtHM movie would Pwn!!
93. Some kind of 40K movie, maybe a trilogy of the Horus Heresy?
94. Maybe a movie based on WoW? dunno... maybe?

nagora
2007-07-25, 05:18 AM
This is a simple enough thread. What books and/or characters would you like to see made into a GOOD movie

95 Ringworld - the effects are now in reach.
96 Pratchett's Nightwatch.
97 Any film set in Glorantha.
98 Lord of the Rings - I'm still waiting for a good version.
99 (+)The Caves of Steel and its sequels.
100 A Canticle for Leibowitz.
101 Das Ring - 12 hours is too long, especially with all that singing!
102 Stranger in a Strange Land
Applied Numerical Methods for Engineers - with source material that good, how could it fail?

Edit: added numbers

GimliFett
2007-07-25, 07:42 AM
103 The Gap Cycle by Stephen R. Donaldson. One of the darkest, but most awesome sci-fi series I've ever read.

Oh, and I'll second the Lije Bailey books (ie Caves of Steel, etc.)! Those were awesome!

nagora
2007-07-25, 10:13 AM
103 The Gap Cycle by Stephen R. Donaldson. One of the darkest, but most awesome sci-fi series I've ever read.

Oh, and I'll second the Lije Bailey books (ie Caves of Steel, etc.)! Those were awesome!

Since you mention Donaldson:

104 (+) The Covenant Books. Still the pinnacle of fantasy writing for me (although book 5 - The One Tree - sags a bit).

GimliFett
2007-07-25, 10:27 AM
Since you mention Donaldson:

103 (+) The Covenant Books. Still the pinnacle of fantasy writing for me (although book 5 - The One Tree - sags a bit).

Truly good stuff, I agree. But I think bleak sci-fi would go over better than bleak fantasy. :)

Grod_The_Giant
2007-07-25, 03:42 PM
Diskworld would ROCK. OK, the humor in the narration and descriptions would be hard, but they managed it in Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy (although they mangled the rest of the film).

And, hey! Last year Copperheart Entertainment got the rights to and announced intention to make a Dragonriders of Pern movies!

Robberbaron
2007-07-25, 03:47 PM
Saw lots of fun stuff mentioned, and some lists I only skimmed, so I might have missed, but here we go.

The Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander, done properly, not that Disney Black Cauldron rubbish.
Shannara Series by Terry Brooks, not sure how well it'd turn out though, the first three really are a bit long.
Xanth by Piers Anthony, could be immensely fun
Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison
Chylde Cycle by Gordon R Dickson
Redwall by Brian Jaques, there is a TV series but not seen it.

Some of these classics have probably been done, but rather long ago, be nice to see a new version that's not screwed up, some have been done recently, but not very well.

Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini
Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini
The Sea Hawk by Rafael Sabatini
Prince of Foxes by Samuel Shellabarger
Captain from Castile by Samuel Shellabarger
Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
Robin Hood
Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy
Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan series, especially Sum of All Fears, cause the current incarnation blew badly.
Bourne Series by Robert Ludlum, while the current movies are entertaining, the books have so much more depth.
Clive Cussler's books, very fun, dunno though, Sahara while fun wasn't nearly as good as book.
Alistair MacLean, quite a few already made, several more good ones could be made.
John Grisham, several more that would make decent movies.

Looking for Group has potential.
OOTS, stick movie, total classic.
Goblins, seeing life from the other side.

Kind of jumbled, but oh well, might add more if I think of any.

2007-07-25, 04:59 PM
The Dark Tower peaked at Wizard and Glass. But hells, the books leading up to it were amazing. The ending? Not so much.

Yeah, I'm afraid 'ole Steve just let it lie to long and then became obessed with Father Callahan and the Calla-talk crap.

Still, they're my favorite books; and four out of seven awesome books isn't bad.

And Roland is still the most bad-assed character. Ever.

Hell Puppi
2007-07-25, 07:34 PM
Heh my love of the DT series knows no bounds...just look at the first page of this thread =P

Jimorian
2007-07-26, 04:23 PM
105. The Stainless Steel Rat. Would work great as a franchise if they got the feel right, even if they didn't stick closely to the actual stories.

106. Red/Green/Blue Mars. I've heard this has been on/off again as an adaptation project for a while, but nothing concrete yet in the works.