PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A " smite " speels of paladins can hit only 1 time?

rickcris
2017-01-19, 05:21 PM
" smite " speels of paladins can hit only 1 time? I'm a new player :x

DragonSorcererX
2017-01-19, 05:23 PM
Yes, but if you miss the attack you don't waste the spell unless you stop concentrating on it, this is really good for Sorcadins, because you have a super economization of spell slots.

JAL_1138
2017-01-19, 05:56 PM
Right. They only apply on one hit. But, as DragonSorcererX said, they trigger on a hit; you don't waste them on a missed attack. Also, they can stack with Divine Smite--for instance, if you cast Thunderous Smite as a bonus action, then on the hit where Thunderous Smite triggers, you could also spend a spell slot to use Divine Smite.

Sception
2017-01-20, 04:37 PM
That said, they do eat your concentration, and imo few of them are worth that investment when a paladin could be concentrating on bless or shield of faith or elemental weapon or the like. That goes doubly for a multiclass paladin sorcerer, with options like haste and hold person.

BiPolar
2017-01-20, 04:38 PM
I've very rarely used my smite spells. When I do, it's usually either Wraithful or Blinding. But in general, I"ve got better uses for concentration.

Sception
2017-01-20, 04:43 PM
Yeah, if you want damage, plain old divine smite is better, concentration free. If you want to burn concentration on a debuff, you have better options. If you're worried about it landing, then cast a buff instead.

BiPolar
2017-01-20, 04:49 PM
It's usually either Shield of Faith, Haste, Protection from good/evil for my go-to concentrations.

If I need to do something else besides smack someone with my weapon, I'll throw out a command. Love that spell.

Ursus the Grim
2017-01-20, 05:35 PM
I do hang on to Thunderous Smite, just in case that 'fight on a cliff' comes up.

But I'd rather not waste concentration on it (especially when there's the chance you lose it before you use it) and Divine Smite deals more damage with less risk.

JAL_1138
2017-01-20, 05:46 PM
My Ancients Pally generally runs Bless when possible, so I don't end up using another Concentration spell. And whenever possible I use my bonus action for the Shield Master bash to knock an enemy prone, so I usually can't cast them even if I'm not running Bless.

Sception
2017-01-20, 05:52 PM
I have played a lot of paladins this edition, and seen others played, and I don't think I've ever once seen a smite spell cast.

jas61292
2017-01-20, 08:20 PM
Yeah, if you want damage, plain old divine smite is better, concentration free.

Technically, if you really want damage, you do both. Nothing stops that, and it is one hell of a way to nova, especially at the lowest levels.

DragonSorcererX
2017-01-20, 09:53 PM
Technically, if you really want damage, you do both. Nothing stops that, and it is one hell of a way to nova, especially at the lowest levels.

*You do both while "Green-Flame Blade-ing" (For that CHA bonus from the Dragon Sorcerer)...

jas61292
2017-01-20, 10:00 PM
*You do both while "Green-Flame Blade-ing" (For that CHA bonus from the Dragon Sorcerer)...

Well, you could do that, but you need 6 levels for the Cha to damage, and then you lose out on the ability to use Banishing Smite at higher levels, which not only is really cool, but is also the only smite spell that actually out-damages its level equivalent plain old divine smite.

UNLESS.... you also multiclass bard. Which I would totally be cool with.