PDA

View Full Version : Threats in a Well-Used Dungeon?

Palanan
2017-01-19, 06:36 PM
The classic dungeon is in some abandoned keep or ancient mine, usually sealed up for ages and only recently rediscovered or broken open. Typically the PCs are the first mortals to have gazed upon its dark and twisted corridors for a long age of the world, and theirs is the privilege of both facing its ancient horrors and plundering its forgotten relics.

But what about the opposite? What about a well-known dungeon that’s at a reasonable distance from local towns, has been lying open for time out of mind and long since scraped bare of its last grubby coppers? Too run-down for military use, too well-known for a bandit lair; in a later age it might have beer bottles and used condoms scattered in the corner.

What kind of threats could still be found in a place like this?

legomaster00156
2017-01-19, 06:38 PM
Well, such a location would probably have all of the mystique of a haunted house in the real world. It's known to have an ugly history, but these days there probably isn't any real danger to speak of. Supposed dangers lurking here are probably nothing more than local folklore, and evidence otherwise is scoffed at (and may indeed be fake, as it was an intricate prank played by local youth).

lylsyly
2017-01-19, 06:41 PM
Somewhere in the dim and dark recesses of my 60 year old mind is a (procedure?) for monsters moving back into a dungeon that as been cleared or restocked (somewhat) if the adventurers leave and then come back.

Old Temple of Elemental Evil?

Time to dig around in the closet again :LOL:

Silva Stormrage
2017-01-19, 06:49 PM
Incorporeal Undead are always a decent option. Haunting the place etc.

I believe there are ruin elementals in one of the monster manuals as well.

lylsyly
2017-01-19, 07:11 PM
“any humanoids that survived will attempt to re-colonize their old homes, as will outside bands who hear of abandoned caves; unless the characters move into the caves themselves or setup a permanent guard upon the valley to keep humanoids out.”

Somewhere, there is something more specific, now you got me curious, and I have a whole bunch of older stuff I can look through.

PraxisVetli
2017-01-20, 03:28 AM
Incorporeal Undead are always a decent option. Haunting the place etc.

I believe there are ruin elementals in one of the monster manuals as well.

MMV, and they have creatures, Ruin Chanters, that function like bards to accompany them.