PDA

View Full Version : Empyreal Armor Enhancement & Monk AC Bonus

Grandmeister
2017-01-20, 01:39 AM
Book of Exalted Deeds:
Empyreal: The wearer can transfer all or part of its enhancement bonus to a sacred bonus on saving throws. The wearer decides to make the transfer on his turn, and the choice remains in effect until his next turn.

Monk AC Bonus: When unarmored and unencumbered, the monk adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to her AC.

So, I'm wearing Robes. I give them +5 enhancement. During my turn, I transfer the enhancement bonus to saving throws.

1. Does it still operate as 'armored', or would my Monk AC bonus now work until my next turn?

2. I recognise I would have to do this every turn. Where does 'Transfer' fall in the action economy? Free Action?

Thanks.

Khedrac
2017-01-20, 04:07 AM
First off, this is the general roleplaying forum, rules specific questions like this should go in the appropriate sub-forum. Use the little triangle bottom left to report your post asking for it to be moved.

Now, assuming (from the mention of BoED) that this is D&D 3.5...

1. N/A: Wearing robes that have been enchanted to give an armor bonus does not count as armor in the first place. Assuming a robe version of bracers of armor they stack with the monk's class ability, so you never lose your Monk AC bonus.

2. Probably a non-action. Usually if an action type is undefined it is a standard action, but that would be pretty pointless for this item ability. Further, the activation entry is "-" which is not one of the standard action types.
I don't recall if swift actions had come out when BoED did, I think not so that might be a reasonable update for the item (DM's call) but it would stop you using it with any other swift actions - a bit mean.
Free actions can be used outside your turn (DM permitting) but this specifies on your turn which may be why they did not specify "free action".
One advantage of it being a non-action is that you can still assign the bonus on your turn if incapable of taking actions (e.g. when stunned)!