PDA

View Full Version : Digging in (IC)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-01-20, 02:58 AM
Digging in

In Character

Three days ago you each signed the contract with the king. Two days ago you traveled with the king’s emissary, a man named Haldrick, to the town of Caldren with all the equipment you bought in advance. Yesterday you discovered that Caldren is a rather sleepy town and that the group you are with is the best company in town. You took the opportunity to get to know each other better and make the final preparations for your quest. Today, you got up early to travel to the entrance of the alleged corridor to the kingdom of Braathaken.

You arrive after four hours. You could have been a bit faster, but the landscapes in the foothills make for nice sightseeing, not to mention being so close to the massive towering peaks of the big mountain range that invited you to halt for a few minutes every now and then. Glaciers large enough to build a metropolis on in the far distance, clouds trying to climb the peaks, but never making it to the top. A bit lower, you spotted waterfalls so large they would be considered large rivers in most parts of the world. Birds circling the peaks. Well, birds, it is hard to judge at this distance, but some of the shapes you see flying must be at least twice the size of a horse. Anyway, reasons enough to take a bit longer finding the entrance. It is not like the corridor is going anywhere after having been there for aeons. Now, however, you have arrived.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-lsTMRocB0Ak/Tpcm57XhfoI/AAAAAAAAA9Q/8EoBR4ud388/s1600/DCC13-4.jpg

You are standing some 60 feet away from a gaping hole in the mountain side. No sign of life, but you do see signs of living. In front of the cave mouth, you find an organized mess. Logs that should not be there, something that looks like a fireplace and collections of bones here and there: piles of bones that may be from large game, but also some smaller piles that may very well be of humanoid origin. It looks like something is living here, or at least regularly passes by. Instinctively, the group halts and silences. What does this mean?

What will you do? Barge in collectively, or take a more subtle approach?

Ripptor
2017-01-20, 05:41 AM
"Welcome to your new home, Gentlemen!", Aetgexe gestures grandly at the clearing, breaking the silence. "Well, our home away from home for the foreseeable future.", Aetgexe wanders over to inspect the campfire and their new surroundings better.

"A little house keeping, and this will be our new favorite spot to break bread. Unless one of you have a profound love of deep, dark tunnels, anyway!" He smiles at his companions, then eyes up his new surroundings for information.

Ripptor
2017-01-20, 06:18 AM
I know the DM wants to do some of these themselves/in secret, so you can reroll any results that you want!

What were those 15 feet "birds" we saw circling? Are they a threat? Could one of them be nesting in the cave mouth, causing the bone piles?
Knowledge (Nature): [roll0]

When was the last time the fire pit was used? Is there another party nearby/using these grounds?
Survival: [roll1]

What type of bones are they?
Knowledge (X): [roll2] (+2 if Nature, -5 if humanoid)

And, what tracks do I see/find? How large, in what direction, and do I recognize them?
Search: [roll3]

Darius
2017-01-20, 08:19 AM
Stelios stares blankly at Aetgexe and shakes his head. "Now you have alerted a wary sentinel of our presence. Think before you speak and announce our presence next time."

The abrasive warrior's hand slides to the chain 'belt' wrapped around his waist as he looks around and listens intently.

J-H
2017-01-20, 09:05 AM
Twelve

The towering warforged climbs onto a nearby rock to get a better view.

"Whatever lives here is either out hunting, and is behind us, or is down in the cave, and is in front of us. Can you find any tracks?"

It thinks, trying to determine what sort of creature might live in this area. Twelve also looks at the cave mouth, checking it for stability.

Survival [roll0]
K: Local [roll1]
K: History [roll2]
K: Architecture & Engineering [roll3]

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-01-20, 09:07 AM
Magnus

"I'm perfectly okay if wants to lead the way with his mouth flapping. He can spring all the traps for us and absorb all the ambushes." Magnus says playfully.

Magnus was pretty sure not everyone was going to survive this little adventure and he looked around to assess which were likely to fall by the wayside.

Ripptor
2017-01-20, 09:22 AM
Aetgexe laughs with Magnus, "Your concern for my well-being is duly noted. I could use an extra pair of skilled eyes while Iron-man and Steel-body keep watch?"

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-01-20, 10:53 AM
Magnus

Magnus holds up a hand in acknowledgement and waits. His eyes dart left and right as he takes stock of the situation.

Magnus will take 20 on spot and listen - and use that minute to see if something jumps out at Aetgexe or he triggers any traps.

Spot : 27
Listen: 22

If the coast is clear, he'll help with the searching:

Search (for traps - take 20) : 29

Aid another (sadly can't take 10 on aid another):

Know:Nature : [roll0] (Failed)

Rattigan
2017-01-20, 11:59 AM
Peregrine unslings his crossbow from his belt and nocks a bolt.

"I'll see if I can see anything in our surroundings that could be the cavern's inhabitants."

With a powerful downward beat of his wings that kicks up a small flurry of dust and twigs, he launches himself into the air, flying up to get a better view of the mountainside and the cave mouth, crossbow at the ready

I'm quite happy for the DM to roll my Spot and/or relevant Knowledges secretly.

Darius
2017-01-20, 05:03 PM
Stelios walks to the right of the cave mouth along the side of the mountain and extends his glowing spiked gauntlet in as he looks and listens for signs of life.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-01-20, 06:18 PM
The birds are probably Rocs or some related species. You feel you have nothing to fear right now. They tend to nest in mountains and hunt on plains, mainly focusing on large prey. Regarding your other queries: You don´t get the time to properly assess them (see below).

The structure appears natural, albeit uncanny. It seems safe and stable.

You step forward and focus on your surroundings. You think you hear something, but by then it is already too late! (see below).

You fly up when Aetgexe decides to investigate. You don´t see anything outside the ordinary. Well, except for what is described below.

With everyone springing into action, you decide to head for the cave mouth. Halfway, though, you see and hear something coming out (see below).

The team finds the mouth of the cave and after a short moment of silence Aetgexe jumps into action: Announcing his enthousiasm, he walks over to the camp (outside the cave) to inspect the campfire and the tracks. Slightly startled by Aetgexe´s initiative the team watches a moment but soon starts to act, going with the flow that the Fey-kin had set.

The movement, sound and smell involved in those actions immediately stirs something in the cave, and you hear something coming out. "Furg?", you hear a low, booming voice say, after which a tall giant steps out of the cave. It is roughly 10 feet tall, green skinned, muscular and clad in merely a loincloth. Most of you have seen (or heard about) this creature before. It is a troll. It emerges sniffing and snarles violently as it sees you.

Fortunately, most of the team members respond to the emerging threat before it can act!

Initiative
Team (-Peregrine)
Troll
Peregrine

Everyone, except Peregrine, is up (no surprise round, you basically surpise each other).

http://i.imgur.com/rQ37e4y.png

J-H
2017-01-20, 06:24 PM
Twelve

"I am made of adamantine, not of ferrous compounds." Twelve corrects Aetgexe before the troll stomps out.

He moves around the campfire, staying near the other ground combatants.

Standard: Adjust readied maneuvers
Move to P13.

Ripptor
2017-01-20, 06:25 PM
As the monster comes into focus out of the dark, Aetgexe gets ready for battle. What's a Furg, anyway?

Knowledge(Nature) to learn it's strengths, weakness', and general tactics: [roll0]
Knowledge Devotion (Using Collector of Stories' +5 ) for Combat bonuses against (Nature) until end of encounter: [roll1]

Results: 3 Bits of useful information, and (Nat 20!?) +5 Insight to Attack and Damage against Nature monsters

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-01-20, 06:37 PM
Next time, roll once ( normal knowledge check) and add 5 for the knowledge devotion bonus. It doesn´t make sense to know all about a creature but not how to attack it, or have no clue what that creature is, but you do get a +3 to attack and damage because you know it so well.

Anyway, you know:
-Trolls are vile, vicious giants that smell bad and have an appetite for human(oid) flesh.
-Troll claws are notoriously powerful, and known to have ripped a horse in twain
-Trolls possess regenerative capabilities. Some scholars claim that fire or acid damage can negate the regeneration.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-01-20, 06:49 PM
Magnus

Magnus charges at the troll. "The fight is on comrades."

AC : 24 (21 -2 charge +5 combat expertise)
HP: 43/43

Combat Expertise -5

Charge to M6

Attack: +10 (+13 to hit, -5 combat expertise, +2 charge)

Damage: [roll0] + Deadly Defense [roll1]

Ripptor
2017-01-20, 07:26 PM
"Don't let those claws get you, Magnus!" Aetgexe remembers witnessing a Troll shredding firsthand, and has no desire to repeat such an event. Freeing his weapon, he runs around the fire pit, Hmm, fire... I remember a little something about Trolls and fire... and beams enervating energy into the center of the creature's great mass to help keep Magnus out of harms way. Now between Peregrine and the beast, he can either leap into the creature's blind spot or keep Peregrine safe from harm.

Standard Action: Cast Ray of Enfeeblement on Troll
Ranged Touch Attack, BAB 7 + 5 Insight is [roll0] vs. Flat-footed Touch AC (That's gotta be low, right? *crosses fingers*)
On success, he takes a [roll1] Strength penalty for the next 3 minutes.

Move Action:
Move around fire pit to J10, drawing my Greatsword.

Ripptor
2017-01-20, 07:28 PM
I think I screwed that up by proofreading my formatting... This is hard on a phone...

Standard Action: Cast Ray of Enfeeblement on Troll
Ranged Touch Attack, BAB 7 + 5 Insight is [roll0] vs. Flat-footed Touch AC (That's gotta be low, right? *crosses fingers*)
On success, he takes a [roll1] Strength penalty for the next 3 minutes.

Move Action:
Move around fire pit to J09, drawing my Greatsword.

Darius
2017-01-21, 02:26 AM
As Stelios moves forward, he deftly unhooks the chain around his waist and with practiced ease begins to swing it about. The whistling, rattling, and hypnotic movements would be beautiful if they weren't deadly. The warrior moves to within striking distance, but from an angle so as to not provoke an attack from the green giant (OOC: I assume O6 works). Like a snake, the chain springs forth and wraps around the ankle of the beast. The warrior pulls - hoping to topple the beast. He then swings at the felled giant.

Actions:

[roll0] for trip
if hit, [roll1]
if win, [roll2]
if hit, [roll3]

edit:
Nice - Nat20 on trip
Damage should be 2d4+9 - rolling in OOC

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-01-21, 04:35 AM
While Twelve analyses the most favourable outcome of combat and the best path towards it, Magnus charges in. The Troll has very long arms, Magnus finds out, and it lashes out at him before he finishes his move (AoO on Magnus: [roll0], damage [roll1]). Magnus reaches his destination and delivers a powerful blow.

Aetgexe moves around the fire pit and fires a dark bolt of negative energy at the Troll. It hits and saps a considerable amount of the creature´s strength. Then, Stelios moves in. You have all noticed his mean-looking chain, perhaps wondering how that can be used in combat. Very well, it seems: you hear the chain whooshing as it whirls when suddenly it latches around the Troll´s ankle. With a decided pull, Stelios trips the Troll and he follows through with a cracking blow on the Giant´s forehead.

The troll is now prone, heavily damaged and drained of strength. His rage is bigger than his unfortune, though. Apparently not caring about the prone position he is in, he lashes out to what he decides is the biggest threat: Stelios. He reaches out with two gnarly claws, hoping to rip Stelios apart, and tries to bite off his left leg.

Claw 1 [roll2], damage [roll3]

Claw 2 [roll4], damage [roll5]

If both claws hit, you take another [roll6] damage from the rend.

Bite [roll7], damage [roll8]

http://i.imgur.com/Aq1qIsm.png

The team is up. No matter what order you post in, Peregrine´s action will be resolved first.

Prone
32 damage
-8 strength

J-H
2017-01-21, 09:22 AM
Twelve

Twelve's powerful legs pound the ground as he charges at the downed troll, slamming into it with one of his unbending metal shoulders.

Charging Minotaur to L5 (into troll's space), no AOOs.

Strength check [roll0] including +2 for charge
If I beat the troll's opposed check, Twelve deals [roll1] damage and pushes it back 5'. For every 5 points of margin on a successful check, I can push the troll back an additional 5' without following it.

The troll's movement provokes AOOs if I am successful, although not from Twelve. If the bull rush fails, Twelve falls prone in L6.

Stance: Pearl of Black Doubt: Every time an enemy misses, I gain +2AC until the start of my next turn.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-01-21, 10:05 AM
Magnus

Magnus dodges under the trolls attack and stabs it in the gut. "Ah-ha! foul beast"

AC : 24 ( +4 combat expertise)
HP: 43/43

Note: Magnus is in a weird position depending on if the Troll was knocked back by Twelve. Either way he gets two attacks this round. If the troll doesn't move he gets a main and off-hand attack. If the troll does get moved Magnus gets a main hand AoO and a main hand attack (and provokes an AoO himself for moving back into troll range)

Movement : none or 10 ft (and provokes an AoO) He'll move to M4 if neccesary to keep up with the troll's position.

Main attack:

Attack : [roll0] (+13 normal -4 CE, +4 prone) (subtract -2 to attack if the Troll does not move)
Damage : Damage: [roll1] + Deadly Defense [roll2]

An AoO using Magnus's previous round stats :

Attack: [roll3] (+13 normally, -5 CE, +2 charge, +4 prone)

Damage: [roll4] + Deadly Defense [roll5]

PLUS the Troll would get an AoO against Magnus's 24 AC as Magnus needs to move in range to make his main attack.

An off-hand attack:

Attack : [roll6] (+12 normal -4 CE, +4 prone, -2 twf)

Damage: [roll7] + Deadly Defense [roll8]

**No AoO from the troll as nobody moved.

Rattigan
2017-01-21, 10:19 AM
Peregrine had been planning to fly further up, but the sudden appearance of the troll changes his plans.
He swoops down towards the troll, clipping the crossbow back to his belt and clutching the holy symbol round his neck as he recites words of power in Auran and Celestial.

Once the phrase is complete, he throws out his other hand towards the troll, and a small whirlwind of ice appears behind the troll in the cave that partially coalesces into a large centipede made of ice.

It screeches and chomps down on the troll with it's mandibles as the aura of cold begins to leave a thin layer of ice on the troll's skin.

Gliding to 20ft over I7. I have 45 glide speed, so should be fine.

Summoning a ice construct of a Medium Monstrous Centipede with Conjure Ice Beast I in J3.

Rolling for centipede's attack on troll. Base is +2, +2 for flanking, +4 for it being prone (well -4 to it's AC technically, but higher numbers are more fun :smalltongue:)
attack: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

Rolling for the cold aura (which extends 10ft around it, so is avoiding the party :smalltongue:) [roll2] cold damage

rolling for AOO if the troll gets pushed back
attack: [roll3]
damage: [roll4]

Ripptor
2017-01-21, 11:32 AM
Aetgexe laughs in excitement watching everyone go to work together. This group may have the makings of a real team, afterall!

"Slice and Dice!" Aetgexe calls out, "But then we gotta burn it!"

Move Action:
Tumble at half speed to J6, [roll0] vs DC 15 to provoke no AoO.

Standard Action:
Greatsword +7 with +5 Insight +2 Flanking at [roll1] vs prone Troll
Connects for 2d6+4 with +5 Insight at [roll2]

Darius
2017-01-21, 09:00 PM
Dodging the claws of the green beast. Using all the power he can muster, he strikes at the beast.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-01-22, 08:03 AM
The whole team focuses their attacks on the Troll now. Twelve does not succeed in moving the Troll about, but every other attack on the Troll lands. It lies unconsciously, but you can see its regenerative capabilities already at work as wounds close before your eyes. It is just a matter of time before it stands up and continueus fighting!

J-H
2017-01-22, 08:42 AM
Twelve

Twelve stands over it and punches down with his oversized battlefist every time the troll heals too much.

"Please determine how to make the troll cease. Doing so is outside my capabilities."

Ripptor
2017-01-22, 09:25 AM
"Great job, everyone, but we're not done yet!" Aetgexe beams at his new comrades. "If you and Steel-Muscles can, roll the body over into the firepit. Or, one piece at a time will do. The rest of us will gather the cookfire!" With a hearty clap on Twelve's shoulder (Ouch) Aetgexe leads by example, collecting the nearby logs for the funeral pyre.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-01-22, 11:53 AM
Magnus

Magnus gets on the other side of the troll opposite of Twelve and continues to assault the beast with his swords. "Heavy lifting is not my thing. I'll help keep it down"

Switch CE to -2

2 attacks a round both with deadly defense should keep the non-lethal damage up - this should free up anyone with a real str score to move the body and gather firewood.

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-01-22, 03:21 PM
It takes a minute or three of beating, collecting firewood, lighting fires and hauling Troll soon-to-be-corpse before you can actually start burning it. You notice that the fire damage impacts the Troll more heavily, and after five minutes of burning you are satisfied that this Troll is not getting up anymore.

Aetgexe closely inspects the site and concludes that what he sees (tracks, a provisory bench) that it is likely that the Troll was living here alone.

Ripptor
2017-01-22, 03:55 PM
Satisfied with his search around the cave entrance, Aetgexe returns to the others. "It would seem our squatter here was more the line-wolf type. I believe we have this place all too ourselves now!"

Aetgexe smiles, gesturing at the scattered bones. "Hopefully a reputation as a Troll den should keep most creatures clear of here for a while, but it could still use some home improvement."

Collect the bones into a pile for use, searching them for anything of interest, like Loot or Identifying information. Could answer some missing person notices back in town, for solace (and maybe reward?)

Search: [roll0]

J-H
2017-01-22, 04:46 PM
Twelve

"If we are successful, others will come behind us to prepare the road for travel. I do not believe 'home improvement' is within our mission parameters."

Twelve steps to the mouth of the cave and looks inside.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-01-22, 05:20 PM
Magnus

"So far so good." Magnus says cleaning troll guts off a sword. "Twelve might be right. Likely someone else will secure the land behind us. "

"Its probably best if I lead the way, but if someone else would prefer to I don't want to stand in their way." Magnus offers.

Magnus helps search for anything interesting in the Troll's effects.

Barring any discoveries, he pushes ahead and scouts the entrance of the cave.

Aid another : search the troll :a20+9

Search for traps at the cave mouth (take 20): 29

Spot/listen : 27/22

Darius
2017-01-22, 06:57 PM
Stelios nods curtly at a job well done. He looks about to make sure no piece of troll exists to spring a new one in a matter of days. He then puts his chain in the fire one end at a time to make sure that the troll bits were burned and could not come back. He watches the others go about their search and joins in and wonders if the troll had ingested any treasure in the process of it feeding itself.

Ripptor
2017-01-23, 09:53 AM
Aetgexe pauses in the midst of riffling through the bones of previous meals, some of which look awfully familiar. "Well, lets just hope that whoever comes along next is better at securing this entrance than these unfortunate few." He shakes a gnawed femur playfully. "I don't want to come back to a grieving Troll family who just wanted to wish Furg here a happy birthday."

Gesturing in towards the cave, "Feel free to scout the way ahead, Magnus. You seem best suited, certainly more so than I." Aetgexe smiles.

J-H
2017-01-23, 10:03 AM
Twelve

Twelve follows right behind Magnus, ready to protect his fleshy allies from any hostile foes even though the troll probably cleared out anything close to the cave entrance.

With one hand sheathed inside his massive battlefist, he hangs his pick at his side so that he can carry and hold high his Everburning Torch.

Unless somebody's got a permanent Light item? 30% of all magical weapons glow.

Warforged should have been built with Darkvision.

Rattigan
2017-01-23, 10:16 AM
"Let's hope the tunnel roof is high enough that my wings can aid us in future violence. Who knows what secret creatures could be down there, knowledge lost to the mists of time. So exciting!"

Peregrine pulls out a small spherical vial from one of his backpack's side pockets that glows as brightly as Stelios' gauntlet in the cave mouth, and attaches it to the front of his heavy crossbow.

"Liquid Sunlight. Will glow forever, at least till you throw it at a vampire or a wraith. Anyone else need a vial?"

He then shrugs off his backpack and opens the main flap. With a few gestures of imploration and the swift intoned prayer for water in Celestial that makes up the cantrip, a column of gallons and gallons of water appears above the opening in the backpack before falling in. Far more water fits into it than should, and Peregrine nods in satisfaction before dipping in a waterskin and then hanging the full one at his belt.

J-H
2017-01-23, 11:02 AM
Twelve

The warforged examines the vial of liquid sunlight curiously. "An alchemical substance. Yes, if there is more, it would allow me to use my hands more efficiently."

After a vial is prepared, he hangs it around his neck, stows his torch, and retrieves his pick.

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-01-23, 03:45 PM
The bones appear to be from (large) animals, humanoids and even giants. It is a heap of mixed, decayed, broken and gnawed-on bones, so otherwise there is not much sense to make out of it. Trolls eat anything that moves and like to gnaw on bones. There are no items of value at the campsite, and Magnus is pretty sure that the cave entrance is not trapped. Makes some sense because a hulking Troll just came barging through. Peregrine spreads some light and water and the team feels ready to explore the cave.

The cave starts with a room, man-made, not natural, roughly 40 by 70 feet. It is about 9 feet high, conveniently just high enough for a Troll to walk about. The first thing you bump into is the stench. Trolls are notoriously smelly and the odour is so thick you can cut it with a knife. Throughout the room you find rubble, more bones, scattered worn clothing, unidentifiable puddles....perhaps excrement, or...well, just don´t step in it. In the south-west corner is a heap of leaves and branches, which you conclude may very well be a bed.

Another thing of notice is a large gate consisting of a series of vertical thick metal bars on the northern end. It looks heavy, only slightly rusted (which may indicate decent quality if the thing is very old). Behind the gate is a hallway leading east as far as you can see (which is not far because the bars are too close to each other for you to stick your head through). You search the room as best as you can (and your nose allows). Occasionally gagging, you find a number of interesting things. First, there´s coins here and there. Quite a lot, actually, and you find 98 gp worth of coins. Second, you find four gems of sorts: a blue, a green, a black and a pink one. Last, but not least, there seems to be something going on on the southern wall. Magnus finds a small metal lever which can be pulled up or down (currently it is down). There´s also a metal bar, clearly broken off with some form of gear welded on it protruding from the wall. Aetgexe guesses that perhaps at some point a wheel was attached here which can be turned to operate something, like a valve. Without the wheel it is unlikely that you´ll be able to operate it.

A search of the cave and its environment does not reveal the wheel. It must have been removed from the site.

http://i.imgur.com/A4F5rSK.png

Ripptor
2017-01-23, 04:27 PM
Aetgexe gratefully accepts Peregrine's offering of an undead-killing magic mini-torch. What a fascinating bauble!

He becomes quite interested in the four colored gems, as they may also hold fascinating secrets "I'll give these and the room a once over for any auras of interest. There may be more than meets the eye..."

Cast Detect Magic as a cantrip for 6 minutes.

Standing at P15 and holding out the gems in my hand in front of me, I should be able to scan the gate, far wall, wall with the apparatus, and all 4 gems.

If any of the gems have auras, I would like to discern any schools of magic on them (DC 15 + Spell level) if not identify them outright (If the character exceeds the DC for this check by 10 or more, the character magically divines the item’s functions, its means of activation, and the number of charges remaining.)

Spellcraft (Blue): [roll0]
Spellcraft (Green): [roll1]
Spellcraft (Black): [roll2]
Spellcraft (Pink): [roll3]

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-01-23, 04:28 PM
Aetgexe finds that the gems, the gate, the hallway, the lever, everything (except for his team mates) are non-magical. The only source of magic here is the party.

Ripptor
2017-01-23, 05:53 PM
Aetgexe slides the lovely but mundane gems into his handypack, to be sold and split at a later date, before striding over to the gate to peer into the depths beyond with arcane focus.

Maintaining concentration, move fromt P15 to C8, turn and focus down the hallway. Any magical auras ahead?

Darius
2017-01-23, 06:06 PM
The warrior wrinkles his nose under his helm - although he has smelled worse, he still does not like it. He watches intently what Aetgexe does - especially with the coins and gems and makes a mental note of how and where he puts the treasure. He then says, "From the size of the gear, I would guess whoever took off the other part would not have taken it far. I am going to look outside for a bit."

ooc:

Search for the wheel...who rolls?

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-01-24, 01:03 AM
Aetgexe does not find magic in the hallway. Magnus does not find traps on the gate, while Twelve is unable to identify a lock or hatch. Magnus concludes that the gate needs to go up, or at least that that is the way it is supposed to work. There is no wheel to be found outside.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-01-24, 03:42 AM
Magnus

"Alrighty, maybe just bash it open, we don't want to get trapped behind this thing trying to come out." Magnus suggests.

Rattigan
2017-01-24, 04:50 AM
"I knew I should have bought that Gauntlet of Rust from the old one-eyed crone on the road!"

Peregrine then looks thoughtful as he stares at the gate, one finger tapping his bottom lip.

"It's possible the gate was propped up while the gear was removed, and then taken down further into the tunnel as a way to prevent future intruders. Maybe if we all work together to lift it we could prop it up?"

Darius
2017-01-24, 07:29 AM
Stelios comes back inside and says flatly, "There is nothing outside of use - wheel or otherwise." He looks at the lever and recalls his days in incarceration and motions at it saying, "I am no engineer, but I have seen these types of gates before. Usually there is a counter weight that is attached to a chain, gear, and wheel. Although we may need to move the lever so we can raise the gate, I would guess with the lot of us, we could raise this - put the lever in position - and it will stay up." Stelios looks at the party and spies who he considers the least strong of the bunch and says, "You - work the lever while the rest of us raise this."

Ripptor
2017-01-24, 07:45 AM
"I'll get is started then. Once the gate is lifted slightly, you can grab underneath and pull up with me." Aetgexe pulls a long crowbar from his much smaller extra dimensional belt. Jamming the hook under the gate, he begins leveraging the gate open.

If I can, I'd start with a take 10 attempt for 16. If I can't, or that isn't good enough: [roll0]

J-H
2017-01-24, 07:57 AM
Twelve

Twelve walks over, grabs the gate with both hands, and also lifts.

Str check [roll0] assuming I can't take 10

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-01-24, 08:13 AM
With Peregrine at the lever, the rest of the team starts to pull the gate up. With some coordination and combined effort, you manage to lift the gate slightly, perhaps an inch, when the gate audibly hits something solid. Peregrine, holding the lever, ready to pull it when told to do so, notices a slight tremble in the lever. The gate is extremely heavy and the team lets go moments after hitting the obstacle.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-01-24, 09:24 AM
Magnus

"So the only trouble is if someone pulls this lever while we are inside" Magnus warns. Barring any other discussions, he continues to the lead the way carefully.

Ripptor
2017-01-24, 12:55 PM
"Ah, I think a lock is engaged on this thing. I wonder if it was set to keep us out, or something else in?" Aetgexe muses for a moment, then turns to Peregrine. "Regardless, that lever is hopefully the lock. Want to give it a try?"

Rattigan
2017-01-24, 05:22 PM
Peregrine frowns. "Not sure how much moving the lever will help without the wheel, but I'll give it a try. I haven't had much hands-on experience with mechanical devices, though I read all the monastery's tomes on engineering...."

He tries to move the lever up or down, then tries jiggling it around or even pulling and pushing it.

Do I roll a thing? Does anything happen? I'm imagining this would be more of a Disable Device thing, or does Knowledge(architecture&engineering) help?

Darius
2017-01-24, 11:19 PM
Grinding his teeth and getting a little agitated, Stelios says, "As I said before, we will need to work the lever. Push it in the up position so it unlocks the gate. We will lift. Then pull it down to lock it once it is up."

Stelios then readies himself to lift with the others after the lever is in position.

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-01-25, 01:08 AM
Peregrine tries to move the lever in the up-position. It gives quite a bit resisitance, but after a short moment the lever starts to move. From above, (in) the ceiling you hear the grinding and squeeking noise of metal moving over stone. Nothing else happens. When the team now tries to lift the gate it comes up, slowly but steadily. Once up, the gate can indeed be locked in position by the lever again.

Rattigan
2017-01-25, 04:54 AM
Peregrine does indeed pull the lever down again once the gate has been sufficiently raised to allow the party through.

"Stormfather's pinions, sorry about that Stelios. I thought I was moving it after you lifted, not before."

He walks over to stand next to the rest of the team.

"So, I guess we're trusting that no-one will come and fiddle with the lever in our absence?"

Darius
2017-01-25, 07:16 AM
Peregrine
"So, I guess we're trusting that no-one will come and fiddle with the lever in our absence?"

Stelios looks at Peregrine for several beats and then says with obvious sarcasm in his voice, "It took all of us to figure out how to work it, so clearly it would take highly intelligent creatures to figure out such a complex contraption." He then turns and goes into the opening to explore with his senses what the rest of the passage holds.

ooc: Not full steam ahead - just taking a look and listen in the areas we couldn't see due to portcullis in the way.

Also, I have been playing Stelio's charisma - he is a hard man to like. Sorry if he offends.

Ripptor
2017-01-25, 08:28 AM
Aetgexe swaps his crowbar back out for his sword, and begins to check the walls along this side of the cave.

"If there is no mechanism on this side, then that gate was designed to keep things in. Maybe as an old toll road of sorts, or maybe for safety."

Standing at C2 and searching the area for anything of significance. Maybe another mechanism, or an inscription, or something new?

Rattigan
2017-01-25, 12:51 PM
Peregrine opens his mouth to answer Stelios and try and get him to wait before heading in, then closes it with a shake of his head as he decides against it.
He doesn't want to push his luck with the dour gladiator, but instead will work to redeem himself in Stelios' eyes through his actions rather than his words.

He holds his crossbow at the ready, vial of Liquid Sunlight illuminating his path as he cautiously follows, eyes darting around for threats.

Roll for Spotting Things: [roll0]

Also don't worry about it Darius. I totally get it. I'm playing Peregrine as a little bookish. I'm thinking most of his previous adventures were fighting orc/hobgoblin warbands or rescuing children from being spirited away by fey. Dungeons and mechanisms are just things he's read about, rather than any practical experience.

But he's perceptive and a fast learner.

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-01-25, 03:39 PM
You carefully explore the tunnel. It is obviously man(or dwarf)-made. There are no inscriptions to be found, but you do find the remnants of organization: Holes in the wall where perhaps signs were once posted or some other object was placed. Here and there the walls have been sanded, perhaps to remove runes or decoration, as if the place had been taken over and refurbished once (or more). The tunnel carries on eastward for roughly 100 feet. The floor is no longer fully even: There are trails worn out over time where, supposedly, carts have been going back and forth with heavy load. You progress through the tunnel without incident, or finding traps or life.

After 100 feet the tunnel ends in a grand hall. Eerily silent, it spans some 150 feet towards the east and the north (and probably further in the latter direction). You estimate it is at least 25 feet high. Halfway to the north, you see a large gaping chasm and every now and then you can hear a whisp of the very *very* distant sound of running water. The chasm also extends into the ceiling. Perhaps this was carved out by some subterranean river. Your footsteps and speech echoes more loudly than convenient, and if there was sentient life here they would have noticed you. In the centre of the chasm there´s a bridge. It is raised, though, and you don´t see any immediate way to lower it. On your side of the bridge, or where it would be were it lowered, you see two large statues. They have the size and build of two large male lions, except they have three heads. And oh yeah, they seem to be made from bones. One of the heads on each statue has horns, and Aetgexe has read of a creature this resembles: A Chimaera. Well, without flesh and skin, that is. The statues stand silent and still. Both Peregrine and Aetgexe can inform the party that this does not mean these are mere statues. Skeletons, which they might be, can be inanimate untill the conditions of their command have been met. They don´t respond to your (at the moment fairly distant) presence, though. Could still be just fancy statues.

On the other side of the chasm, though this is hard to see right now, you can make out living quarters or storage facilities hewn out from the stone wall east and west. There´s door-shaped entries there. Also, you spot a simple fountain on the other side of the chasm. It does not function at the moment, but it looks like a fountain, or maybe a water storage basin for washing.

On your side of the chasm you find that the hall has been stripped of all forms of decoration and furniture. However, marks on the floor tell you that many heavy objects were handled here, and that there used to be stone desks or working stations of sorts. If this once, aeons ago, was a trade corridor, this might have been the place to transfer and store goods and to pay and register taxes and or tolls.

http://i.imgur.com/yEPHCgu.png

Ripptor
2017-01-25, 03:51 PM
Aetgexe swaps his greatsword out in favor of his crowbar, eyeing the Chimera pair warily. Bones break easier than they cleave.

"Beware. Those two bridge gaurdians may be more than merely symbolic, if they are animated Undead. Maybe a Chimera in a past life?" Aetgexe walks closer to inspect them.

Move to P27, and look at the closer one for anything out of the ordinary. Any claw marks on the ground, indicating it once moved? Is it wearing/equipped with anything special?

Spot: [roll0]

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-01-25, 04:05 PM
The statues have no equipment of note. You also don´t spot scratch marks or other indications they once moved, but you also decide that the stone is perhaps too hard to allow scratch marks by such a creature.

J-H
2017-01-25, 04:56 PM
Twelve

The warforged's heavy footsteps thud behind Aetgexe as he crosses the room. "I was not taught about "art." Are they aesthetically pleasing?"

Move to U28.

If the skeletons act in any hostile fashion (or move), he will use Charging Minotaur. No AOO bull rush, with +2 from charge.
Strength check [roll0], dealing [roll1] damage if successful. If rolls allow, he will push a hostile skeleton into the chasm.

I incorrectly stated that Twelve fell prone when failing his bull rush against the Troll; in fact, you only go prone if the space you back into as the attacker on a failed check is occupied.

Ripptor
2017-01-25, 06:34 PM
Aetgexe sneers at the leftmost Chimero-Lich. "Undead creatures are a gross perversion of the natural order. No amount of glamer could give such a thing beauty. If it's merely a statue..." Aetgexe contemplates.

"Well, they are certainly imposing. They reflect the ferocity they had in life, and the natural beauty of their lethal design." Reminding himself of the danger they threaten, he coils himself to strike.

Move to R24, and ready an move and attack action. If either statues shows signs of life:

Move Action: 30ft north to R18
Standard Action: Arcane Channel using Shocking Grasp

Knowledge[Religion] roll: [roll0]
Knowledge Devotion(Religion): As above, +5

15 or below
+1 Insight Attack/Damage

16—25
+2 Insight Attack/Damage

26—30
+3 Insight Attack/Damage

Attack roll, +7 vs. Flat-footed AC: [roll1] + Insight modifier

On success, damage:
Bludgeoning: [roll2] + Insight modifier
Electric Damage: [roll3]

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-01-25, 08:28 PM
Magnus

"Be careful" Magnus advises. He was glad someone else decided to move forward and check out the dangerous looking statues first. They unnerved him a little.

"A face only a mother could love.." Magnus comments regarding their beauty.

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-01-26, 01:20 AM
Carefully, Aetgexe and Twelve approach the statues. No response, however.

Rattigan
2017-01-26, 09:32 AM
Peregrine cautiously sidles along with his back to the wall, clutching his holy symbol with one hand and keeping a wary eye on the statues as he heads towards the chasm.

Heading for F16 (or 30ft towards it if we are doing combat rounds) to peer into ze chasm.

Spot check if I get to chasm edge: [roll0]

Readied action: Conjure Ice Beast II if the Chimaera-skellie(s) go for me, to plop right between me and them and ruin their charge.

Apologies I didn't do this last night, I fell asleep on my laptop keyboard as I lay in bed. The post was full of aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaa

and I didn't think you'd appreciate that, so I redid it at work on lunchbreak :smalltongue:

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-01-26, 09:55 AM
Magnus

Magnus moved up slowly about 20 feet behind Twelve. Close enough to help but not too close to get eaten by an evil statue.

"You are doing a great job, keep it up." Magnus says encouraging the braver members of the group.

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-01-26, 10:06 AM
We´re not doing round based things yet. It´s two statues and a chasm, what´s there to combat about? :smallsmile:

Also, for everyone readying all kinds of actions: If we assume these are indeed skeletons commanded to smash anything that comes in reach, they would be considered having "readied" an attack as well (e.g. it would be "I hit it when it moves" versus "I hit it when it comes close enough"). In such a scenario I´d let an initiative roll decide who gets the jump on who, so you may want to be careful with developing strategies that assume you get in the first hit/action.

Peregrine moves to the edge of the chasm, well clear of the statues. They do not respond in any conceivable way. Peregrine sees that the hallway on the other side of the chasm continues on in a similar way for a lot longer and that the chasm is deeper than he can see.

Ripptor
2017-01-26, 12:04 PM
Aetgexe relaxes when he sees no sign of activity. "Well, maybe they are just statues after all. A little vigilance never hurt anyone, though." Aetgexe grins, then beams some positive energy at the rightmost Chimero-Lich.

Relinquish readied action.

Disrupt Undead: [roll0] vs. Flat-footed Touch AC
On success, undead takes [roll1] positive energy damage

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-01-26, 02:35 PM
Aetgexes ray strikes true and a burning white dose of energy assaults the statue. It flashes, which means it has hit an undead (were it a mere statue, they ray would have just fizzled and dissipated on impact). However, it does not respond. It just stands there. Stupid, naive...arrogant?

Ripptor
2017-01-26, 03:30 PM
Aetgexe's eyes light up with fervor when the ray strikes true. "Well, would you look at that? That means we have a winner! Now, for our second friend..." Aetgexe smiles wide, firing off more energy at the leftmost Chimero-Lich.

Rinse and repeat for mr. Lefty. My left :smallsmile:

Disrupt Undead: [roll0] vs. Flat-footed Touch AC
On success, undead takes [roll1] positive energy damage

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-01-26, 03:47 PM
The second ray also strikes, but leaves a much smaller blackened mark on the bones where they have been weakened. What is more worrisome, is that you notice that the previous, larger black stain slowly disappears and the skeleton looks as sturdy as it did before the magical assault. It looks as if the skeleton has fast healing or some similar ability. This is not typical for skeletons, Aetgexe knows, or, he thinks he knows that. That implies some form of magic is at work here, magic beyond the magic that animates skeletons.

You deduce that these skeletons were put here to prevent unwanted visitors to cross the bridge: They are not likely to get fooled by chasing after a decoy and pelting them with arrows, notoriously ineffective against skeletons to begin with, is also effectively rendered useless. This means that it is likely that the rumours ((see setting)) that this was once occupied by a necromancer might be true and that this necromancer must have been (or......is?) quite powerful!

Darius
2017-01-26, 07:13 PM
Stelios

Shaking his head, the warrior says, "If we need to fight - we will fight! Save your war words and spell slinging for a moment until the time is right." Stelios then looks to calculate the distance across the span to see if he could jump it.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-01-26, 08:18 PM
Magnus

"I wonder if it would be an idea to try and destroy those undead before crossing by any method. Either pushing them off the cliff or smashing them maybe. I suspect there is a mechanism on the other side to lower the bridge." Magnus offers. Still standing about 20 ft back.

the map seems to imply a gap of about 20-30 feet. If you roll badly you have to create a new character most likely - assuming its not an illusion.

:smallwink::smallwink::smallwink:

Rattigan
2017-01-27, 11:24 AM
Peregrine looks over on hearing Magnus' words, and sees Twelve bracing himself ready to explode into a sprinting shoulderbarge.

"Good idea Magnus. Let's just hope these heavybone bastards can't still fly...."

Peregrine then mutters words of arcane power in Draconic, fingers twisting in rapid glyphs before throwing his splayed hand out towards Twelve.

Twelve's form seems to swell and bulge, beginning to grow to twice his normal height, before shrinking down to his usual size.

Peregrine looks up at the ceiling."....if this is a test Stormfather, it's in very poor taste."

He looks over to Twelve. "Sorry Twelve, I thought the fact you had a mind of your own would count enough for the spell. I'll have to research an Enlarge Construct..."

Moving to within 30ft of Twelve by most direct route.

Enlarge Person
This spell causes instant growth of a humanoid creature, doubling its height and multiplying its weight by 8. This increase changes the creature’s size category to the next larger one. The target gains a +2 size bonus to Strength, a -2 size penalty to Dexterity (to a minimum of 1), and a -1 penalty on attack rolls and AC due to its increased size.

A humanoid creature whose size increases to Large has a space of 10 feet and a natural reach of 10 feet. This spell does not change the target’s speed.

12 is not humanoid, but construct. Sadface.

Darius
2017-01-27, 09:49 PM
Stelios

As the warrior calculates the distance, he is distracted by the all too familiar words of magic being spoken. Like a whip crack, Stelios turns his head and stares down Peregrine and watches the magic fizzle. Forgetting his original thought to jump, Stelios strides angrily towards the caster and says through clenched teeth, "What...part...of...saving...the...spell...slinging ...did...you...not...UNDERSTAND?!?" He turns to the rest and exclaims, "How have you survived this world so long? Huh? You plan and consider with how to open a portcullis...a PORTCULLIS! Now, when a plan is necessary, you whip war words and waste energy without consideration or thought even when counselled to do so! I, for one, wish to complete the quest - but at this rate, the king would be better served by STABLE HANDS, for they actually LISTEN!"

He opens his clenched fists and regains his composure with a heavy sigh. Stelios then looks at each of the party in the eye (or ocular cavity) and then looks away at the ground and begins to collect stones and pebbles. He continues as he does so, "Here's an idea. Let's have a plan before we start blasting away at things that aren't attacking us. The troll - attacked us. These automatons didn't attack us...yet...and may have a purpose that deals with lowering the bridge. Break them and it becomes more difficult to cross." With a handful of stones, Stelios looks at the party and says, "The wizard or whoever made this place may have had some sort of password that, when spoken, would command these things to lower the bridge or perhaps even the bridge to lower itself." The warrior looks at Aetgexe and says, "You said something about being able to see magic that lingers, yes?"

Ripptor
2017-01-28, 09:16 AM
Aetgexe considers Darius for a moment "There is magic at work here. The power animating those bones is also mending them, meaning they will be a difficult challenge to end."

Aetgexe gestures at the pair. "However difficult it may be, it is however our purpose to clean these passahes of threats. The crown was pretty clear on that point. So, the plan is this.

Pointing at the rightmost, "We strike hard and fast, and even the playing field. I'll help Twelve batter this one into the chasm, and then we focus on the one left behind." Hand still outstretched, he fires another beam of negative energy.

Ray of Enfeeblement on the right most, to try and ensure we go down to one.

Ray of Enfeeblement: [roll0] vs. Flat-footed Touch AC
On success, a 3 minute [roll1] strength penalty.

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-01-28, 10:19 AM
The ray hits and as far as you can tell, its negative effects are in effect.

J-H
2017-01-28, 12:16 PM
Twelve

With his metal-shod feed clacking on the stone floor, Twelve sprints across the room and lowers his shoulder, ramming into the eastern skeleton. His adamantine armor plating impacts the bones of the magically animated skeleton with a resounding BANG.

Auto, feel free to re-roll if you think it's more fair.

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-01-28, 06:25 PM
After lots of considering, scouting, failed buffing and assumed debuffing, Twelve decides action needs to be taken. He charges forwards and plants his shoulder firmly into the Eastern skeletons neck. With some eagerness, as far as undead can have that, the goat head lashes out and gives Twelve a solid headbutt just before he strikes (Hit AC 24 with a readied attack for 10 damage, see OoC thread). Twelve's movement stops there, though (V18). While his assault was powerful, it was not enough to move this large critter about.

MAP: Please use the map I linked before to declare your position/movement:
http://i.imgur.com/yEPHCgu.png

Initiative:
Magnus, Aetgexe, Stelios
Skeletons
Party, Peregrines and Twelves actions resolved first.

Magnus, Aetgexe and Stelios are up

Ripptor
2017-01-28, 06:41 PM
Watching Twelve collide into the beast's bulk with no effect, Aetgexe quips at Stelios, "Of course, things rarely do go to plan." Running up to back Twelve, he fires another beam, this time at the Leftmost Skeleton, to keep them both weakened.

Moving from R24 to S21

Ray of Enfeeblement on Leftmost Skeleton [roll0] vs. Flat-footed Touch AC
On success, a 3 minute [roll1] strength penalty.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-01-28, 07:54 PM
Magnus

"I knew it! Undead fiends! Grrrr" Magnus growls. Any hint of cowardice evaporates.

Shift combat expertise to -5
AC: 26
HP: 43

Position - starting around S21
Move to Q17

Standard action: Attack the other undead thingy on the left side

Attack: [roll0]

Damage : [roll1] + [roll2]

(+4 damage due to Favored enemy bonus +1d6 damage for Deadly defense) (damage is all Piercing if that matters)

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-01-29, 03:47 PM
Aetgexe moves northwards and shoots another bolt of necromantic energy, this time at the western Skeleton. This ray also strikes the target and appears to have its strength-sapping effect. Then, Magnus moves into the melee with the western Skeleton. With great skill he plants his weapon in the chest of the creature. Magnus does notice, however, that the piercing damage he deals is not the most effective against a creature lacking skin and flesh, and that part of his damage is ignored.

Magnus and Twelve, both standing next to the Skeletons, experience a weird bone numbing, flesh eating pain that does not seem to have a specific clear cause. Both take 5 (so Twelve 2) negative energy damage as if affected by an Inflict wounds spell. A will save (DC16) can reduce this to half.

Then, the Skeletons truly come to (un)life: With a chilling rattle they assume a combat position, revealing the majestic hunters the beasts were in a life long forgotten. Within a split-second, both warriors are subject to an assault by a flurry of claws, teeth and horns.

Bite 1 [roll0], damage [roll1]. Crit confirm (26) [roll2], bonus damage [roll3].
Bite 2 [roll4], damage [roll5]. Crit confirm (26) [roll6], bonus damage [roll7].
Horn gore [roll8], damage [roll9]. Crit confirm (26) [roll10], bonus damage [roll11].
Claw 1 [roll12], damage [roll13]. Crit confirm (21) [roll14], bonus damage [roll15].
Claw 2 [roll16], damage [roll17]. Crit confirm (21) [roll18], bonus damage [roll19].

Bite 1 [roll20], damage [roll21]. Crit confirm (25) [roll22], bonus damage [roll23].
Bite 2 [roll24], damage [roll25]. Crit confirm (25) [roll26], bonus damage [roll27].
Horn gore [roll28], damage [roll29]. Crit confirm (25) [roll30], bonus damage [roll31].
Claw 1 [roll32], damage [roll33]. Crit confirm (20) [roll34], bonus damage [roll35].
Claw 2 [roll36], damage [roll37]. Crit confirm (20) [roll38], bonus damage [roll39].

Magnus, your declared position was inside one of the skellies, so I put you right next to it
http://i.imgur.com/EugpweK.png

Skeleton 1
-5 Str
3 damage

Skeleton 2
-3 Str

TEAM is up, Stelios', Peregrines and Twelves actions resolved first.

J-H
2017-01-29, 04:30 PM
Twelve

One of the heads bites at Twelve while another gores him; both score deep gouges into his armor plating.
With a groan of bent metal, Twelve sidesteps, making the creature turn away from the others, and then plants his feet, using his whole body to bring his battlefist down in a crushing blow.

5' step to W7
Using Bonecrusher: +4d6 damage (no save), plus a non-applicable penalty against crit confirms.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1] plus [roll2], magic, bludgeoning

Stance: Pearl of Black Doubt; each miss adds +2AC until Twelve's turn starts
HP: 31/55
Buffs/debuffs: None
AC 19, DR 4/adamantine, HP 31/55

Ripptor
2017-01-29, 05:13 PM
Seeing Twelve in trouble, Aetgexe leaves the weaker Skeleton to the other three for the moment. "Dust to dust!" he cries, darting between slashing limbs to back up Twelve. With a silent plea to his Goddess, he swipes out with his crowbar in a storm-powered smite.

Tumble 15' to T18
Tumble Check: [roll0] vs. DC 15 to avoid AoO

Channel Shocking Grasp on Rightmost Skeleton
Attack: [roll1] vs. AC (+3 if it is considered conductive)
On success:
[roll2] Bludgeoning damage
[roll3] Electric damage

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-01-29, 07:17 PM
Magnus

"I'll try to keep this one busy with my paper cuts and wind attack pattern. Kill the other one, then come help me."

Magnus ducked under a near miss that would have taken his head clean off. Fighting stuff so much larger then himself was tricky business. Magnus continued to concentrate more on defense then actually landing his blows.

Combat Expertise : -5

AC : 26
HP: 37/43

Full round action : TWF

Attack (Rapier) : [roll0]
Damage (Rapier) : [roll1] + [roll2] (+4 Favored enemy, +1d6 deadly defense) (All damage is piercing)

Attack (shortsword) : [roll3]
Damage (shortsword) : [roll4] + [roll5] (+4 Favored enemy, +1d6 deadly defense) (All damage is piercing)

Rattigan
2017-01-30, 12:42 PM
Peregrine sighs and rolls his eyes at Stelios' words as battle joins before replying, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Oh yes, however shall we cope with the incredibly wide chasm. If only I had some way of flying to the other side. Save your breath for fighting, Chains-for-brains, and get rid of these threats like we were paid to do!"

He moves up and clutches his holy symbol, arcane phrases in mixed Celestial, Auran and Aquan spilling with long practiced rapidity from his mouth, before he flings out a hand and an ice whirlwind similar to the one the others saw outside in the fight against the troll spins into motion between the two skeletons. This one however is much larger, and resolves into a large and powerful-looking half-horse, half-eagle hybrid that the well-traveled may recognise as a Hippogriff.

It screeches, the call echoing strangely as Peregrine orders it to attack, and it lashes out with a lumbering downwards swipe.

Moving to N22/23, whichever is within 35ft of centre of the squares S16-17,T16-17.

Using Conjure Ice Beast II as standard action. Stats will be posted in OOC thread.

Slam attack for Hippogriff on Skeleton 2: [roll0] and damage is [roll1] bludgeoning and [roll2] cold damage.

Darius
2017-01-30, 08:38 PM
Stelios

As he continues to chide and pick up stones, the warrior almost missed the events as they unfolded before him. Cursing himself - not for missing the obvious - but for having to answer to the others for being wrong. Knowing that he would rather die a glorious death than face the others in defeat of wisdom, Stelios drops the stones he has picked up and moves ahead - unfurling his chain as he does so. The rhythmic whosh of the chain is heard until it achieves a high pitch just before he strikes out at the beast to trip it and break it. After striking, he steps back 5 feet so that the creature must come to him (and so he can protect his comrade...who was right)

I am assuming that since Stelios was moving around picking up rocks while giving his tirade, he could make it to S19.

Trip Attack on 1
[roll0]
if hit,
[roll1]
if win, follow up attack
[roll2]
if hit,
[roll3]

He then 5' steps back to S20, ready for AoOs...which will be trip attacks and follow-ups as above.

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-02-01, 04:08 PM
The team now starts moving and acting in unison, perhaps none too late given the vicious attacks that landed on Twelve. The Warforged adjusts his position and pounds the Chimaeric critter in its shoulder with his fist. Bones crack and break audibly, confirming that this was a serious blow. Peregrine moves closer and conjures a winged horse that appears to be carved from ice. While it does not damage you, you can feel the cold associated with it. The beast plants its beak in the Chimaera´s wing structure. The Skeleton appears to be unaffected by the cold, but the blow lands hard nevertheless. Then Stelios starts to mess with the melee: Lashing out with his chain, he trips the left Undead and follows up with a snapping attack on its chest before moving back slightly. With the Skeleton down, Magnus´ work is even easier and he expertly plants both his blades in his foe. Perhaps grown overconfident by the success of his teammates, Aetgexe also rushes into melee. He mis-times his cartwheel charge slightly, however, and instead of evading the clouds of maws, he ends up staring directly in the eyes of the draconic head. It makes a hissing sound (or did you imagine that?) before biting Aetgexe (AoO):

[roll0], damage [roll1]. Crit confirm (26) [roll2], bonus damage [roll3]

Things not going as planned for Aetgexe, he swings his weapon but only hits air.

Everyone that is close to the Skeletons (all except Peregrine, including Hippogriff) experiences the corrupting aura that lingers here and gets 5 negative energy damage (Will DC16 for 2 damage). Then, the left Skeleton gets up, provoking an attack of opportunity from Magnus and Hippogriff (resolved in OoC thread). Both attacks hit. While the Skeleton is standing, it is severely damaged. It gets to attack once, still, though and it tries to bite Magnus:

[roll4], damage [roll5]. Crit confirm (25) [roll6], bonus damage [roll7]

The right-hand Skeleton has more on its mind, and decides to divide his attacks amongst the two apparent threats around him, biting at Twelve and clawing at the Hippogriff.

Bite [roll8], damage [roll9], crit confirm (26) [roll10], damage [roll11]
Bite [roll12], damage [roll13], crit confirm (21) [roll14], damage [roll15]
Gore [roll16], damage [roll17], crit confirm (21)[roll18], damage [roll19]

Claw [roll20], damage [roll21]
Claw [roll22], damage [roll23]

Team is up, order of posting is order of acting (unless for whatever reason explicitly specified otherwise).

http://i.imgur.com/UqdR0UH.png

Skeleton 1
-5 Str
37 damage

Skeleton 2
-3 Str
41 damage

J-H
2017-02-01, 04:16 PM
Twelve
As the skeletal chimera lashes out, Twelve observes its movements and manages to dodge every blow. He counters with a powerful punch with his entire weight behind it.

Using Mountain Hammer, +2d6 damage, bypasses DR.
Attack [roll0] includes +2 for flanking
Damage [roll1] plus [roll2]

Stance: Pearl of Black Doubt; each miss adds +2AC until Twelve's turn starts
Buffs/debuffs: None
AC 19, DR 4/adamantine, HP 30/55

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-02-01, 04:21 PM
The right Skeleton shatters in countless small bits of bone as Twelve plants his fist firmly in its chest. One down, one to go.

Ripptor
2017-02-01, 06:21 PM
Aetgexe recovers his balance just in time to see the Skelton cave in underneath Twelve. He's going to have to watch and learn from that one!

Turning around, he engaged the remaining threat.

Will save for half: [roll0]

5 ft move left

Attack: [roll1]

Damage: [roll2] Bludgeoning

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-02-01, 08:19 PM
Magnus

"Wonderful work guys." Magnus was impressed with the co-ordination and skill of his comrades. Maybe it would not all end badly in death and disgrace after all. Maybe.

Magnus adjusts his footing and changes his position slightly. He continues to dodge blows left and right and find a home for his blades.

Will save vs half damage : [roll0] (I knew will saves were going to be a problem)

Combat Expertise = -5

5' ft step to O17 (sets up a flank with the summoned critter)

AC: 26
HP : 35/43

Full round action: two-weapon fighting

Attack (Rapier) : [roll1] (+2 flanking, -5 CE, -2 TWF)
Damage (Rapier) : [roll2] + [roll3] (+4 Favored enemy, +1d6 deadly defense) (All damage is piercing)

Attack (shortsword) : [roll4]
Damage (shortsword) : [roll5] + [roll6] (+4 Favored enemy, +1d6 deadly defense) (All damage is piercing)

Darius
2017-02-01, 10:07 PM
Stelios

Stelios steps forward and lashes out again - putting more power into his attack.

5' step forward,
[roll0]
[roll1]

If he misses, he backs up out of the chilling range (ooc: what seems to be the radius of the aura?)

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-02-02, 03:51 PM
Aetgexe, Magnus and Stelios all land a blow on the remaining Skeleton, which shatters after Stelios´ strike. The aura still remains, you can feel it, and all except Peregrine are affected once more (5 negative energy, Will DC16 half) and will be again if you don´t move well away. The feeling of dread seems to be prevalent in squares P-W/16-20.

Combat is over. The Skeletons were not wearing anything, so you do not find treasure.

J-H
2017-02-02, 03:53 PM
Twelve

Twelve moves away from the necromantic aura. "I shall repair this damage tonight."

He looks at the Raptoran. "You were going to fly a rope across, or try to find a mechanism to lower the bridge, correct?"

Ripptor
2017-02-02, 04:12 PM
"Good riddance!" Aetgexe surges watching the second skeleton collapse, but then feels his energy continue to sap even in its absence. He back away to the far wall, and scans for anything of potential interest. There may be another way...

Will save in OoC, 2 damage

Search check, taking 10 for 21

Looking for any further historical clues of significance, other potential means of progress (hidden doors, etc.) and just treasure in general :smallbiggrin:

HP: 31/35
Level 1 Spells: 1
Level 0 Spells: 2
SLAs: 7

Darius
2017-02-02, 08:15 PM
Stelios

[roll0] = 5 damage
[roll1] = 5 damage

The warrior moves away laterally (at least 20' from the edge and not directly across from the raised bridge) until he feels the return of warmth and is thus out of the aura of energy. He keeps an wary eye on the skeletal remains in the event that they regenerate and will reanimate as he does so.

Then, he takes a deep breath and takes off like a sling stone - sprinting towards the chasm. Just as he reaches the edge he vaults into the air...and lands on the other side of the chasm. He looks toward the bridge for levers or other controls to see if he can lower the bridge for the party.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-02-02, 10:19 PM
Magnus

Magnus falls back a good 20 feet till the feeling of dread recedes. He heals himself with his belt and regains his bearings.

Will save : [roll0] vs DC 16

healbelt charge: [roll1]

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-02-03, 05:32 PM
Aetgexe moves back and towards the walls to find clues, or objects of value. The rest of the team moves out of the negative energy zone and starts tending wounds. Your heart skips a beat when you see Stelios, the stubborn barbarian, rush forwards and jump across the chasm. It is a leap that even the most well-trained athlete may have misjudged, but he makes it to the other side.

Aetgexe finds that all the remnants of previous occupation (furniture, runes, scriptures) have been removed and he does not find any trace of secret doors or other mechanisms of interest. Stelios, however, finds that on the other side of the bridge, attached to one of the pillars that form the start of the bridge seen from that side, is a small wheel. When he turns it, the bridge lowers without incident. The group can, as it would appear, safely cross to the other side using the now lowered bridge.

Ripptor
2017-02-04, 12:45 PM
Seeing no items of particular interest, Aetgexe turns around just in time to watch Steelios fly over the chasm. Another one to watch and learn from, for sure!

As Steelios lowers the bridge, Aetgexe calls across, "Great job, Steel-body!" He joins the others across the bridge, then looks across the chasm. "It may be a good idea to keep this bridge up as we continue on, as a rear-guard barrier. What do we think?" He begins to scan the other side for interest, before going inside any dwellings.

Search and spot checks, taking 10 for 21 each

Same as before. Any historical clues of significance, multiple means of progress, treasure opportunities...

Hidden enemies...

HP: 31/35
Level 1 Spells: 1
Level 0 Spells: 2
SLAs: 7

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-02-04, 01:18 PM
The fountain does not seem to be working and this part of the hall also seems to be stripped of writing and furniture. Someone clearly went out of his/her way to eradicate all forms of signs of previous habitation. At the north end of the hall, there´s yet another tunnel. You can´t really see in from this distance, though. If there´s anything to be found here, it may be in the 6 house-like structures in the side walls.

If someone moves anywhere, please also indicate the path you use to get there, not just the end location.

http://i.imgur.com/huUw2Ss.png

J-H
2017-02-04, 01:29 PM
Twelve
Twelve crosses the bridge either before or after the others, in case it cannot support his weight. He looks around and decides to wait for the others to decide what to search, and in what order.

With the unknown ahead, he retrieves his everburning torch and steps forwards, making a powerful throw and placing the light source near the dim tunnel.

Ranged attack to hit S1 at AC 5 I think?
Thrown weapon attack [roll0] minus ?? range penalties.

I'm just throwing it ahead, so I don't expect the torch to take damage or be rendered non-functional like ammo might be.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-02-04, 01:59 PM
Magnus

"Great work with the bridge. Let's hold up here a 5-10 minutes while I look around if you don't mind." Magnus suggests in a hushed tone.

Magnus will cautiously check out the abandoned buildings.

He'll move at half speed to try and stay quiet.

Move silent: [roll0]

Movement: He'll check out the left side first, then return to the party and check out the right side: highlights include : G 22, G14, G7 and AG 22, AG 14 and AG 7. This does bring him to about 50 ft from the exit but he doesn't get closer than that with out the party.

Hide (if appropriate) : [roll1]

(I would take 20 on the search checks but that would bog this down to an a couple hours of game time - which seems excessive)

Search for traps or loot as needed:

[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-02-04, 04:02 PM
Twelve tosses his torch towards the northern tunnel. It mostly reveals that, well, it is a tunnel leading northwards and vision is reduced after some 20 feet. Magnus heads west and starts inspecting the housing units. He sees that each unit is deeper than appears from the outside, extending some 10 feet into the walls. The first and the second "house" are one-storey buildings with stone beds distributed amongst them, 8 each. Otherwise, they are empty and void of decorations. Perhaps this is where the workers processing and transporting all the trade goods were housed. Heading further northwards, Magnus ends up at the north-westernmost house (H9). Here, he hears a peculiar sound coming from inside: TssTss-Kg-TssTss-Kg Rictic-rictic TssTss-Kg-TssTss-Kg.

Magnus, you have not looked inside yet. What do you do? Look inside, or report? Looking into the door bears a great risk of being spotted: not much to hide behind there. Of course, you are convinced that whatever is in there is not aware of your presence.

All: If you move, give me a path of movement. If you give target squares, I am going to assume straight lines of movement towards these squares.

Ripptor
2017-02-04, 04:28 PM
Aetgexe slides his crowbar back into his belt, returning to his Greatsword to hand. His eyes flash emerald as he surveys the landscape in his own manner.

Detect Magic as SLA, sweeping from left to right.

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-02-04, 04:45 PM
Aside from those generated by his team mates, Aetgexe does not detect magic auras.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-02-04, 04:47 PM
Magnus

Magnus slowly inches his head to look into the room to find the source of the noise. He is careful not to enter the building and keeps most of his body behind the cover of the building.

Magnus is trusting in his small size and silence to at least see the source of the noise first before retreating. He won't enter or explore the room, just look in and retreat and report back - if nothing is seen or combat doesn't start.

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-02-04, 05:29 PM
Magnus peeks around the corner and he sees legs. Insect legs, 2, 5, 10, dozens...hundreds? No, wait, insects have 6 legs. Not to mention the legs are pretty much human-sized. And attached to an apparently endless gigantic chitinous body. It looks like an innocent millipede, but then huge! A vast invertebrate critter, some kind of monstrous Vermin is curled up inside that room. Luckily, Magnus finds that the monster did not notice him. It is gross, though, huge if not bigger and absolutely abhorrent. Not the kind of creature one would like to take on alone.

Do you advance or report back?

All (including Magnus), remember I need you route of movement if you move.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-02-04, 05:53 PM
Magnus

Magnus looked at the creature and made a slight face of disgust. He retreated back the way he came to report to the rest of the group, taking care to tread quietly.

Move back the way he came and rejoin the group near the bridge to report.

Moving due south to H22 then east toward the group at P23

Rattigan
2017-02-04, 06:05 PM
Peregrine had remained silent since Stelios' leap, almost unable to believe he had risked so much.

On crossing the bridge, and after Twelve threw his torch, he set about sealing the rents in Twelve's metal body with a few deft touches with his Wand of Lesser Vigor, the metal shifting and growing back together.

He keeps an eye out for anything that may be out there.

Twelve gets fast healing 1 for 11 rounds. Since we're not in combat time (yet :smallwink:) I'm not sure how much of that he'll get before things kick off.

J-H
2017-02-04, 08:29 PM
Twelve

"Mindless vermin are best disabled at long range by spellcasting. I can move ahead to draw it out."

I'm marking Twelve as 41/55 (11 rounds of healing, the full amount) because it's going to take a little while for us to decide.

Ripptor
2017-02-04, 08:53 PM
Aetgexe raises the bridge back to its former impasse while listening to the report. "Unfortunately, I have nearly emptied my magic reserves for the evening. I only have enough power to summon a single blast of noteworthy size, but I could season it with a few small spats to lure it out."

Signifying the doorway, he continues, "If we flank the doorway in ambush, I could lure it out towards myself while you try to bisect it. I can try to fend off the mandibles for a bit, I have some practice in that department." He smiles with decidedly less than his usual humor.

Spoiler: OoC
Hide
I can throw some orbs of acid at it to get it to exit the house, and into an ambush of readied actions. I have some defense against grapplers, though being the bait is always concerning...

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-02-04, 09:17 PM
Magnus

"Do you want me to scout the other three buildings first? Might be an idea if we are trying to get someone on the far side of the centipede building to set up a flank/trap. "

Magnus is offering to scout the remaining three buildings on the East side and skirt along the edge of the north side of the large chamber to stand on the opposite side of the doorway - square : H5 to help set up a flank if the creature tries to leave the room.

Darius
2017-02-04, 10:25 PM
Stelios

Standing watch over the group and waiting for the team to decide what the next course of action is, the warrior uses his belt to heal himself. [roll0] He furrows his brow and appears concerned with the report of the gigantic creature. He looks at the ranged weapons among the group and considers the thought of how to face the threat.

"Should we cross to the other side, I raise the bridge and draw the beast to me and to the bridge side, and you pepper the creature with missile fire? If need be, I could jump across again."

ooc:

I am assuming that Stelios could affix a rope to the wheel used to raise the bridge.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-02-04, 10:35 PM
Magnus

"Well if we did go with that plan, its probably best that he does it." Magnus points at the raptorian and his wings. "one problem with that plan is we may end up with an agitated critter on this side, with the bridge up and no way to get it down again. Its pretty dark in here and tough to see far enough for a bow to be effective if it retreat 40 or 50 feet away from the bridge. I'm in favor of the ambush - so that's 2 for ambush and 1 for bridge shenanigans. Anyone else have an opinion?" Magnus whispers.

Magnus was half tempted to let the warrior jump the chasm again, just to see what would happen. It was was pretty breath taking the first time.

Rattigan
2017-02-05, 05:21 PM
Peregrine nods, and hefts his crossbow.

"I can always conjure a critter to draw it's attention, and draw it out? That way it gets the brunt of the assault instead of us."

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-02-06, 02:59 PM
Magnus

Magnus waited to hear any objects before heading off to scope out the rest of the ruins.

Magnus will scout out the remaining 3 buildings on the right side to check for more dangers.

Movement will be straight east to AF24, then north to AF14 and then AF7. He'll retrace his steps unless something eventful happens and report back again.

(In the interest of time if he encounters nothing he'll continue back north along to AF24/14/AF 7 and move West toward the northern exit of the room towards H5. )

He'll continue to search and try to be stealthy during this time.

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-02-06, 03:39 PM
Magnus skirts the hall, looking into the eastern houses. There, he finds the same as in the west, except there are no monstrous vermin. Perhaps, he realises, it makes sense to thoroughly ransack the houses (for example looking for secret caches) after the monster has been dealt with (which has the highest priority now). He reports back to the bridge without incident.

Ripptor
2017-02-06, 03:49 PM
Heading the news, Aetgexe smiles gratefully at Magnus. "This is good, then. Peregrine's idea to use a summon to take the brunt of the assault is wise. I will stand by the fountain just behind the construct and lure it out with some minor missiles, and then we all surround and destroy it."

Pointing to positions, Aetgexe signifies his idea, "Magnus can sneak around to the North side, being his stealthy self. Steelios and Twelve can be just down wind South, myself and the construct will by just North of the fountain, and Peregrine can cast safely from here." He looks enthusiastically at his comrades for any further thoughts and assent.

To keep from waking it early, the noisy fighters can start outside of sound range, and run in when needed? We only need one North to flank, which should probably be Magnus?

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-02-06, 03:50 PM
Magnus

Magnus nods his head in approval and heads back to the north.

J-H
2017-02-06, 04:24 PM
Twelve

"Agreed. If the summon falls, I shall occupy its attention." He advances until he draws even with the fountain.

Move along row 24 to column M, then up to M14

Ripptor
2017-02-06, 04:35 PM
Aetgexe nods enthusiastically, then gets into position himself.

Move to W24, then up to W7. Looking in at monster critter thing, If I can

Darius
2017-02-06, 07:51 PM
Stelios 41/41 HP; AC 18 Touch 14; Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +2

With chain at the ready, Stelios quietly slinks due west until column J and then he heads due north until he is at J9. He drops the rope there and assumes a ready position and nods to the others.

Edit: I am ready, but did not want to post 2x

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-02-17, 04:02 PM
You fashion an attack plan based on a summoned critter luring out the Vermin. During the discussion, it becomes swiftly clear to you that moving north of the fountain, well at least others than Magnus, is very likely to attract the monster´s attention: Most of you are not very good at moving silently. Therefore, in order to make this likely to work, you conclude you´ll have to dedicate your "surprise round" to moving into position (technically, it does not even count as surprise, see OoC below). Not necessarily a bad thing, because you have very little clue regarding the monsters true size nor its tactical behaviour, which you can observe while moving.

I understand this may be disappointing, seeing how most players have all kinds of plans for world domination during a surprise round, but there is no way you clunky bunch of warriors and priests would have been able to sneak up like Magnus did, and you (the characters) are well aware of that.

I´d have to ask for the order you´d be moving in, determine when things go wrong and you´d be caught at some point with your pants down. Therefore, I think this solution is most safe for the team and swift for the progress of things. Even if things would have worked out perfectly, the Vermin would not have been flat-footed (because attracted/alerted by summon), so avoiding AoO´s would not be an option anyway.

Peregrine sneaks up west of the fountain and starts summoning while the rest of the team moves into a position from which the desired position can be easily reached. After some delicate gesturing, an icy sculpture resembling a wolf appears close to the entrance of the house and produces a surprisingly high-pitched snarl. This is immediately followed by a rustling and rattling sound from inside the house:

A gigantic insectoid head pops out of the entrance (though Aetgexe can later inform you this is technically not an insect....still, it is a bug and this bug is in dire need of flattening!), *clack-clack-clack* supported by chitin plated legs of phenomenal proportions. Most of the monsters body stays inside the house, giving it effective cover: it would be a lot easier to hit if it were fully out of the house. Judged by its head, you estimate it to be 15 feet long, if not longer. It lashes out at the icy Wolf with a bite that would tear the average human apart (and then some), while the team moves into position. You also notice that it has an impressive reach, because the head coils back towards the entrance of the house immediately after.

Bite: [roll0], damage [roll1] (immune to crits, immune to poison (right?))

http://http://i.imgur.com/5fJzY0E.png

Initiative count
Stelios, Peregrine, Magnus
Monster
Team (12s and Aetgexes actions resolved first)

Ripptor
2017-02-17, 04:14 PM
Aetgexe watches the Monstrous Centipede lash out of its housing with awe. This is one of the largest he's seen yet!

Knowledge check: [roll0]
Saving +5 for Knowledge Devotion: 32 for +4 Insight bonus

Darius
2017-02-17, 10:33 PM
Stelios 41/41 HP; AC 18 Touch 14; Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +2

The warrior strikes out with his chain and then moves out of range of the reach of the beast by moving 10' to his right to L8. He then continues to whirl the chain about, ready for an attack of opportunity.

[roll0]
[roll1]

AoO
[roll2]
[roll3]

Rattigan
2017-02-20, 05:23 PM
Peregrine grins as the mandibles scrape off of the thick ice of the wolf's body with an audible squeal.

He then moves up to level his crossbow at the monstrous insectoid vermin and squeeze off a bolt, yelling out a command in Auran to the ice construct.

With an eerily high pitched howl, the ice wolf breaths out a swirling cone of ice,snow and freezing cold air that engulfs the head of the beast.

[roll0] to attack the centipedey thing for [roll1] piercing damage

Wolf Breath Reflex DC is 11 to halve [roll2] cold damage. More of a distraction than any real threat :smallwink:

1/4 rounds.

Sorry for lateness.

Ice Wolf
Size/Type: Medium Construct (cold)
Hit Dice: 2d8+20 (29 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+2 Dex, +4 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+2
Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d6+3)
Full Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Ice Breath (Su)
Special Qualities: Low-light vision
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 15, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 1
Feats: Weapon Focus (bite)

Ice Breath (Su): As a standard action, the ice wolf can breathe cold. Its breath weapon deals 1d6 points of cold damage in a 30-foot cone (DC 11, Reflex save half). Once an ice beast uses its ice breath, it must wait 1d4 rounds before it can use its breath weapon again.

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-02-21, 12:54 PM
Stelios lashes out with his chain and creates a considerable crack in the Vermins chitinous carapache. He then moves slightly northeastward to adjust his position relative to the monster. In doing so, he underestimates the phenomenal reach of the Centipede as its head jolts forwards to Stelios to take advantage of the brief lapse in defense.

Monster has 15 ft reach, so this move provokes:
[roll0], damage [roll1], crit confirm (if 31) [roll2], bonus damage [roll3]. If hit, please make a Fort save DC 17 to ignore [roll4] dexterity damage from poison.

Peregrine lines himself up better with the monster to get a perfect shot at it. The Vermin is in melee combat, which always hampers ranged attacks (at least for a non-specialist) and the attack, which Peregrine feels was actually pretty accurate, misses. Peregrines wolf breathes a cloud of cold at the Centipede. While the breath attack looks more impressive than it actually is, you do notice a thin layer of ice having formed on its jaws. The attack must have done something.

Then, the monstrous Centipede moves slightly (5 ft step) eastwards and lashes out at its current biggest threat: Stelios. Well, either biggest threat, or maybe it is not really into cold dishes. Again its head leashes out with lightning speed as it aims to bite Stelios, its hard chitin-plated mandibles making a hard clacking sound on impact with the warriors armor!

Monster has 15 ft reach, so this move provokes:
[roll5], damage [roll6], crit confirm (if 31) [roll7], bonus damage [roll8]. If hit, please make a Fort save DC 17 to ignore [roll9] dexterity damage from poison.

http://i.imgur.com/rbMHte8.png

Initiative order:
-Team (12s, Aetgexes and Magnus´ actions resolved first)
-Centipede

Team is up

20 damage

Ripptor
2017-02-21, 02:38 PM
Aetgexe has no time to warn Steelios about the venomous creature before it lashes out at him twice. To his credit, the large man remains standing, despite his terrible wounds.

Aetgexe runs in instinctively to pull away the creature's attention. "Beware it's poison jaws!" He cries out, over the Ice Wolf and hopefully for the others' sake. His blade radiates dark energy as he leaps directly into the line of fire...

RP Moment, gotta go be protective. Here's hoping it doesn't hurt too badly...

Moving 5' to O5, 25' to J5, provoking an AoO at L5.
If hit, DR 1/- and save vs. Poison: [roll0]

Assuming I make it to melee range, Arcane Channelling Touch of Fatigue:
To hit, (+4 Insight): [roll1]
On damage, (+4 Insight): [roll2] and Fatigue DC 14
If damaged, Aetgexe heals 3 HP

Darius
2017-02-21, 03:17 PM
Stelios 10/41 HP; AC 13 Touch 9; Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +2

Knowing that one more bite will take him to oblivion, the wounded warrior looks to his comrades and smiles. This will be a good death, he thinks to himself. He begins to whirl about like a man possessed, lashing out not once but twice.

ooc: If Stelios needs to take a 5' step to hit, he will do so, but it doesn't look like it on map.

[roll0] -5 Dex
[roll1] -8 Dex

Rage +4 STR, extra attack (all at -2), +2 dodge bonus to AC and Ref saves

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-02-23, 01:48 PM
Twelve charges in and crushes some plating on the Vermin´s chest (or, well, whatever it is) with his metal fist, while Aetgexe moves in to deliver a slashing strike and Stelios buries his spiked chain in the critters head. The damage the trio delivers is too much, even for a monster of this formidable size. It produces one last "Krrrrrrrrr" before collapsing to the ground. This battle was short but hefty. Looking at Stelios, you realize this could have ended differently. Stelios feels nauseated, the poison still coursing through his veins. While he is still standing, he may very well be incapacitated soon if it is not treated somehow.

Ripptor
2017-02-23, 06:55 PM
As the creature collapses, Aetgexe takes one glance at Steelios and knows he needs attention. Attention that he can't currently provide. "The venom from these creatures can be quite potent.. Anyone have anything to help him with that?" He quickly steps forward around the monstrous corpse and looks around inside the chamber for anything that may be of use.

Move into the monster's chamber, J5 straight to G6

Quick look and rifling: (no time to take 10!)

Search: [roll1]

Aetgexe Psyquet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1070744)
Init 2, HP 31/35, Speed 30 ft
AC 17, Touch 12, Flat-footed 15
Fort 8, Ref 4, Will 10, Base Attack Bonus 4
Skills Spellcraft 14, UMD 13, Know(Nature) 12, Search/Spot 11, Know(Arcana,Dungeon,Religion,Plane) 10, Survival 9, Decipher 9, Concentrate 8, Tumble / Jump 8

Rattigan
2017-02-23, 07:40 PM
Peregrine sighs with relief as the creature crumples, then heads over to Stelios. He warily ducks under the still whirling chain to place a gently glowing hand on Stelio's back that causes the grevious bite wounds to start closing, flesh knitting back together again.

"I can heal his wounds Aetgexe, but I will have to ask Lliendil for something to repair any damage done by that beast's venom when next I seek his power. And you can be sure I will ask for such a thing each day, to be ready should we encounter things like this again in this place."

Touch of Healing (heals 6/round, if we have time to keep doing it till he's at half I will)

Unfortunately I don't have something to heal ability damage prepared. I'd have to rest and prep tomorrow morning. What Dex score is Stelios even on now? That was some pretty hefty Dex damage!

Darius
2017-02-23, 10:32 PM
Stelios (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1071409) 10/41 HP; AC 11 Touch 7; Fort +5, Ref +6 (+1), Will +2

The whirling warrior finishes the beast and stumbles. He takes a knee and manages to rip his chain from the head of the creature. When Peregrine lays his hands on him, Stelios jerks and turns with a feral look in his eye and the gore encrusted chain in his hands ready to strike. He relaxes and slumps, taking off his helm - revealing a pale mask of a man with sunken eyes. "My thanks, Peregrine, but I think you have wasted your magiks upon me. It is not the wounds that will be my end, but the venom that courses through my veins."

Though his wounds begin to knit themselves shut, Stelios stands shakily and looks to his compatriots. "Should I succumb to the poison, know that I am honored to have fought beside you. If you do not mind, I am going to go lean upon this fountain and embrace sleep or elysium."

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-02-24, 06:18 AM
Combat has ended. Peregrine heals Stelios (2 times 6 hp for now) while Aetgexe looks for something that may be of help to combat the poison, or something that is otherwise of interest. Aetgexe finds a lot of mold, some kind of icky mucus and patches of oozing goo in what apparently has been its lair for a while. It is more than disgusting, but nothing that can aid Stelios. Meanwhile, Stelios walks to the fountain to rest and notices something strange. The water is whirling vigorously and slowly moving upwards: An inverted vortex of milky-green water rises up from the fountain, some 10 ft high. As the vortex starts to create some winds that start to blow your hairs and cloaks back, everyone has one round of actions to declare in preparation of what may very well be yet another battle!

Result: 28. This is likely a water elemental. They are more dangerous when encountered under water, where they can drown creatures in a whirlpool. They have strong, impenetrable damage reduction. They are otherwise hard-hitting melee combatants.

Ripptor
2017-02-24, 08:19 AM
Finding nothing but filth, Aetgexe turns around just in time to spot the swirling mass begin to climb it's way out of the center of the fountain.

"Elemental! Get Steelios back!” Blade still in hand, he dashes over to our himself between it and the rest of the party.

Double Move from G6 straight to O14
+4 Insight vs. Elemental

Aetgexe Psyquet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1070744)
Init 2, HP 31/35, Speed 30 ft
AC 17, Touch 12, Flat-footed 15
Fort 8, Ref 4, Will 10, Base Attack Bonus 4
Skills Spellcraft 14, UMD 13, Know(Nature) 12, Search/Spot 11, Know(Arcana,Dungeon,Religion,Plane) 10, Survival 9, Decipher 9, Concentrate 8, Tumble / Jump 8

J-H
2017-02-24, 11:06 AM
Twelve

Twelve reassures the injured warrior. "Do not worry, Aetgexe. If poison renders you unable to move, I can carry you."

As the elemental rises, Twelve readies himself and moves towards it.

Refresh maneuvers readied, move to Q12

Darius
2017-02-24, 08:25 PM
Stelios 22/41 HP; AC 11 Touch 7; Fort +5, Ref +6 (+1), Will +2

Before the elemental forms, Stelios turns and runs to the best of his ability, picking up the rope as he goes and he heads for the gap. Rope in hand, he leaps across the gap.

[roll0]

He hits the other side hard, but the rope in his hand prevents him from grabbing ahold of the lip. He swings back and his enchanted boots rotate his body to hit the other side of the wall without taking damage.

Rattigan
2017-02-26, 12:25 PM
Peregrine holds his hands out in what he hopes is a placating gesture and shouts to his allies.

"Wait please! Maybe we can resolve this peacefully."

He unhooks the waterskin from his belt and pours it on the cavern floor, then intones several words of power in Aquan.

The water rises up from the floor, swirling and sloshing around before forming into a miniature version of the elemental looming out of the fountain.

He holds out his hand to the elemental in the fountain in an imploring gesture, speaking in Aquan.

I follow Lliendil, of the storms, wind and rain. I am as one with the seas and sky. We are not your foes, noble guardian."

Using Water Devotion to summon a Small Water Elemental for a minute, and trying to diplomatise the elemental.

Bold and italic speech is in Aquan.

Diplomacy: [roll0] + any misc modifiers you want to apply Autopsibiofeeder.

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-02-27, 06:52 AM
Twelve and Aetgexe position themselves for combat, while Stelios bolts out of the way. Curiously, Peregrine starts flashing his holy symbol as if it would mean anything to such a basic creature as an Elemental, not to mention the weird sounds the priest starts to produce and the miniature version of your soon-to-be opponent he produces. Meanwhile, the Elemental is fully formed: A large mass of water, roughly in the shape of a humanoid biped, it towers several feet over you. It regards Peregrine a moment, that is, if it had eyes and they would be in the place you expect them to be, then he is looking at him. It produces a low rumbling sound much like that of a fast-flowing river running over rocks, but you discern some differences in pitch and intonation. It is a language, much like the odd language Peregrine was using.

"You. Free. Me."

Motionless, though the water it is formed of is ever-flowing, it stands. You feel that if you act soon, and fulfil his wish, combat may be avoided.

Rattigan
2017-02-27, 09:20 AM
Peregrine's sharp face lights up in a smile of relief.

Hold your weapons just for the moment, friends."

He takes a few steps closer to the fountain and speaks again in Aquan.

"How do we free you?"

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-02-27, 01:50 PM
It either does not know or does not feel like sharing. At first, it does not reply at all to Peregrine's question. It merely repeats its demand.

FREE! ME! In between its words it pounds on the edge of the water basin. The force behind its blow can be heard and felt, and is a clear indication that not fighting this creature is worth some trouble.

Darius
2017-02-27, 06:45 PM
Stelios wraps the chain weapon around himself and begins the climb in an accelerated fashion. (ooc: Accelerated climb with rope and wall is automatic with Stelios' skill; 20' climb achieved)

Edit: He pulls himself up over the edge and a wave of fatigue hits him. He drags the rope behind him with slumped shoulders and pulls out his enchanted mug saying, "Ale." He downs it, wipes the froth from his lips, returns it to its place and lays down. From his place on the floor, he shouts, "Are there runes or writings? There must be something in the fountain that keeps it there."

Rattigan
2017-02-28, 11:59 AM
Peregrine steps a little closer to the fountain, touching his forehead with his holy symbol and making his irises glow with a soft golden light.

His eyes dart around the fountain, straining to pick out any details that could free the elemental.

His feathered brow furrows, and his lips move unconsciously, trying to remember any scraps of knowledge of how elementals can be bound or dismissed, or powerful artifacts that could help.

Casting Raptor's Sight. +5 competence to Spot for 4 hours (CL hours)

Spot roll: [roll0]

Using my Lore roll if that is OK? (like bardic knowledge basically. Cloistered cleric feature. bonus is cloistered cleric level+Int mod, +2 since I have 5 ranks in Knowledge(history)) If it doesn't apply, feel free to disregard roll, or say I need to roll something like Knowledge (planes). Basically trying to think of stories about elemental bindings, or artifacts that can call them.

Lore roll: [roll1]

J-H
2017-02-28, 05:52 PM
Twelve

Waiting a moment to see if Peregine turns up anything, Twelve readies his pick and advances, smashing one wall of the fountain. "Attempting direct application of force with a literal interpretation."

IF nobody spots anything, advance and hit the western wall of the fountain, not facing towards anyone else. The pick does less damage, but feels more appropriate to use.
Full round action to auto-hit the stationary inanimate object, so I can power attack for 5 while using Mountain Hammer...

Damage [roll0] bypasses hardness/DR

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-03-01, 03:46 AM
Peregrine uses his magically enhanced sight to inspect the basin and actually spots a fairly big, stone by the looks of it, plug-like item on the bottom of the basin. Lifting it out will probably drain the basin. You don't know whereto, but of course you do remember the sound of a running river deep below in the chasm. It looks very heavy, a tough job to pull, and would probably require someone with considerable strength to pull. Realizing this, Peregrine sees Twelve stepping up besides him, ready to smash the basin to bits.

You don't actually know of a way to return this Elemental to its home, at least none that is within the power of "normal" magic. You do think that sending it to a large body of water will make it feel better at home, and perhaps when "in its element" it may be able to find its own way home.

It is probably magically compelled to stay here (and not dive down into the river) and not "allowed" to pull the plug itself. You know, as does Aetgexe, that the magic that binds such a creature to a place is often associated with a number of rules the creature must obey.

Rattigan
2017-03-02, 11:07 AM
"A good blow Twelve, but perhaps it might be better to let it drain down into the chasm. There's a large stone in the water that should let the water of the fountain fall down into the deep river. Should free it up to move about more, and maybe even go home. That's what it wants, and why it isn't bashing our brains in right now."

Peregrine looks over to Stelios as he lies on the ground.

"How you holding up chains-for-brains? Looks like the bug got you good."

Darius
2017-03-03, 07:32 AM
Stelios

The warrior remains quiet and conserves his strength.

J-H
2017-03-03, 06:13 PM
Instead of attacking the wall of the fountain, Twelve reaches in and pulls up on the indicated plug.

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-03-04, 03:25 AM
Twelve reaches into the basin and pulls the plug. All the while, the Elemental stands motion- and speechless. Then, it makes a short rumbling sound:

"LEAVE."

Peregrine motions for Aetgexe and Twelve to stand back a bit and takes some distance from the Elemental. Once everyone is at least 10 feet away, the Elemental's form starts to dissolve into water once more, filling up the water basin that now starts to slowly drain. After a minute, you hear a typical gurgling sound and the basin is empty. Perhaps it was not free to choose when to materialize and dissolve, but rather forced by the presence of others. Whatever way around, this kind of binding and commanding of outsiders has to involve very powerful magic, maybe even of a kind that has been long lost to the denizens of this world, if it was ever known.

Aetgexe starts darting around, looking for a place to let Stelios rest, while Peregrine starts to realize that there's a change that he is the only person alive (on this plane) to have had a meaningful conversation, how brief it was, with a water Elemental. All houses, except for the one where the Centipede has been living, are suitable living quarters for the team and, most importantly Stelios, to rest. The team also takes a closer look than Magnus could take for loot and in one of the houses you find a hidden cache, carefully carved into the stone. In it, you find a lot of coins (1300 gp worth in total) and three scrolls. A brief inspection informs you that these are (most likely) Arcane spells.

J-H
2017-03-06, 04:11 AM
Twelve

As the group settles down to rest in the stone houses for the night, Twelve takes up a post about a dozen yards outside the door. "I will keep watch and work on repairing the damage to my armor. Enjoy your period of somnolence."

HP Repair check [roll0] (really 1d20+14-15)

Rattigan
2017-03-06, 09:00 AM
Peregrine cleans the blood encrusting Stelios with a quick Prestidigitation spell, then uses his wand of Lesser Vigor to cause the mandible wounds suffered by the warrior to knit together. After about a minute, the first use does not quite heal all of it, so he gently taps the site of the wound and eventually the wounds completely disappear, leaving smooth unmarked skin behind.

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-03-06, 02:40 PM
The team rests. Fortunately, it appears that Stelios manages to mostly resist rest of the poison in his system, allowing Peregrine to get him back in a somewhat decent shape the next morning. Twelve and Peregrine start the watch, but it appears to be an uneventful night. That is, in this part of the caverns. Still the night may be slightly restless. Undead, Vermin the size of a cottage and Animated bodies of water all in one day tends to do that, even to a seasoned adventurer. The next morning Peregrine inspects the scrolls and learns that they contain the following spells, once each: Detect undead, Sor/Wiz 1; Command undead, Sor/wiz 2; and Hypnotism, Sor/Wiz 1.

From here, there appears to be only one way to go: Due north, where the cavern-system continues down a 10 ft-wide corridor. A brief inspection shows that it is a "worked" tunnel, not natural. After some 50 feet, however, it seems to have collapsed. The way forward is barred by an enormous mound of rubble. It is possible to clear it, but it will take a while and it will likely be quite noisy. An other interesting feature of the corridor is the large double wooden door on the eastern side, some 30 feet down the corridor. The door is not ornamented, but still it is of good quality, and possibly has some locking mechanisms. It is closed.

This is what you gather in the morning, carefully scouting ahead and deciding whether you continue on or give Stelios one more day to recover.

Will you carry on, or wait one more day for the warrior to recover fully?

Darius
2017-03-06, 09:41 PM
Stelios (current Dex is 11/16 w/o gloves)

Although he tries to prevent the healer from administering to him, he is too weak to put up a capable fight and simply lies there - sweating uncontrollably. Once he is cured of much of the poison and all of the damage, color returns to the warrior - save for the new silvery scars that are reminders of the grievous wounds suffered from the centipede. When he meets Peregrine's gaze Stelios says, "My thanks." He then looks away in shame for his weakness.

Stelios coils up his rope and collects his things in the event the party plans on pressing forward. He cleans the gore from his chains with an oiled cloth as he awaits the party's decision.

Ripptor
2017-03-07, 02:30 PM
As Peregrine tends to Steelios, Aetgexe eyes the hallway ahead with interest. The rubble could have been damage due to the simple passing of time, or it could have been a trap designed to keep something out... Or in.

"With Steelios still recovering from yesterday, we may want to consider a light day for ourselves. I can check a bit ahead, and we can decide how far we want to go today.” Having announced his intention to scout out the hallway to the rest of the group, he moves forward to inspect the doorway.

He approaches cautiously, since there is no immediate threat, and looks around with care.

Move within searching distance of the door, attempt a spot to see anything else out of the ordinary.

Spot: 21 (taking 10)

If nothing sticks out, move in to Search.

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-03-07, 03:37 PM
Aetgexe does not spot anything out of the ordinary (as far as things in a place like this can be called ordinary). Also, the door is closed but Aetgexe is convinced it can be opened without setting off trap mechanisms.

Ripptor
2017-03-07, 04:54 PM
Aetgexe silently motions the All-Clear, then takes up a position just North of the door, ready to act when everyone else is in place.

Darius
2017-03-07, 09:17 PM
Stelios

Since he is still not fully recovered, Stelios climbs into the basin for cover and pulls a javelin from the large quiver on his back. He nods to Aetgexe from his position to signal he is ready.

Rattigan
2017-03-08, 09:41 AM
Peregrine steps over and pours a waterskin on the floor, once again shaping it into a Small vaguely humanoid water elemental that swirls by his side.

He hefts his crossbow with a grin.

"Ready when you are."

Water Devotion, first use which doesn't need a turn attempt spent. Lasts a minute.

J-H
2017-03-08, 09:57 AM
Twelve
Twelve moves to a point 10' south and 10' west of the door, allowing him to see in at an angle once it is opened.

Ripptor
2017-03-08, 10:02 AM
With everyone in place, Aetgexe slowly opens the door, as quietly as he can...

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-03-08, 12:57 PM
Aetgexe silently opens the door after the team is in place, but his efforts are being negated by a short but distinctly audible "kerching" as three sharp blades shoot out from the side of the door opening, momentarily barring the way. A high pitched "zing" echoes through the cavenrs a couple of times and swiftly dies out.

Aetgexe has to make a reflex save to avoid the trap.

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-03-08, 04:39 PM
Aetgexe is sufficently startled by the sudden attack and retreats just in time. One of the sharp blades nicks his right arm, producing a couple of drops of blood (no damage). The doors are open, and the blades slowly retract. Aetgexe, and anyone that follows him, sees a small 10 foot deep and wide hallway ending in yet another set of doors. On the left-hand side of the hallway is a bar with hangers to hang a coat. It looks pretty homely, actually, but also very much abandoned. Aetgexe inspects the second set of doors for traps and concludes there are no traps.

I rolled for your search because I anticipated you´d do that. Aetgexe is *very* certain there are no traps on the second set of doors. But hey, you never know. No, no...really, it is fine. Honestly....

Or is it? :xykon:

:smallbiggrin:

Ripptor
2017-03-08, 09:50 PM
Still unsettled from the miss on the last trap, Aetgexe again readies himself for another door opening, taking position just north of the door.

When everyone is ready, he will again open the door slowly and quietly... Even if the noise is already out there.

Darius
2017-03-09, 07:14 AM
Stelios continues to watch from his position.

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-03-09, 02:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/fDTe0wu.png

Aetgexe opens the second door. No trap this time. Behind the door is another corridor, leading north and south and bending eastwards on both ends.

Ripptor
2017-03-09, 04:47 PM
Aetgexe moves in to the southern side of the wall, and carefully looks beyond.

M12, then looking out around the corner?

Twelve can mirror me up north, and we can convene on where to go from there?

J-H
2017-03-09, 04:54 PM
Twelve
Twelve fearlessly (but not noiselessly) advances to check the northern corridor.

Darius
2017-03-09, 08:03 PM
Once the group moves ahead, Stelios will move to F10 to provide support.

Rattigan
2017-03-10, 09:47 AM
Peregrine follows Aetgexe, once again muttering the plea to Lliendil that makes his golden pupils glow softly with divine light, aiding in his vision.

"I would be wary. There could be ambushers or dart traps concealed in the centre between these two corridors."

Activating Raptor's Sight, since it will last 4 hours. Adds +5 Spot, and range increment penalties are halved.

total bonus to spot, if you need to roll for me, is now at +16.

Moving up to behind Aetgexe. If you need a location, put me at about L12, just where the corridor starts to bend, but so I'm still close to Stelios bringing up the rear?

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-03-10, 01:09 PM
You find that the corridor ahead is being formed by a wall that divides a large room, a study as it appears. There´s a desk and many book shelves along the walls. The room has been cleared out neatly: The desk and the bookshelves are completely empty, as if someone purposefully "moved out" at some point in the past (more detailed searching of the drawers and shelves does not yield anything of note). In the northeast corner, there´s a hallway leading north.

http://i.imgur.com/ZajPPAJ.png

Ripptor
2017-03-11, 11:19 PM
After giving everything a cursory search, Aetgexe pulls on the bookshelves to see if they will move. Even if they long lost knowledge of the books are gone, there may be something hidden behind them...

Will search deeper if an opportunity presents itself.

Otherwise, let's see what's down the hall!

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-03-12, 06:15 AM
Aetgexe does not find anything hidden behind any of the shelves. The only way forward seems to be through the hallway. It leads north a bit en then ends in a fairly large room. In the nortwest corner is a large, very luxurious bed. There is no linnen on it and it does not look like it has been used in a long while: The matress is almost fully disintegrated. More interestingly, in the centre of the room stands a figure. Some weird and sick statue or work of art perhaps. A zombie-like motionless creature, stitched together from non-matching body parts of humanoids. Transparent and non-transparent tubes stick out from its head and run to the various limbs. Green and blue-ish fluids seems to be in the tubes. The whole room has a strong, pungent, chemical reek: possibly because of the alchemical products used to prevent the body parts from rotting.

http://i.imgur.com/QOtO8Mc.png

Ripptor
2017-03-12, 08:06 AM
Aetgexe gives a silent signal to the others for "1 Enemy". Taking a step forward to allow any of them into the room past him, he tries to get a closer look at the... Abomination.

Even if it is just an Art Exhibit for example, Aetgexe will want to cleanse this thing. Blech.

What on earth is it?
Know(Religion): [roll0]

Darius
2017-03-12, 09:50 PM
Stelios

The warrior cannot believe his eyes. He wonders what sort of beast this is, and thinks that it would be best to not disturb it. He taps Aetgexe on the shoulder and signals him back to the room that appeared to be a study where they can converse in whispers and not alert the supposed guardian.

"Are you sure you want to go in there, now? This room here looks like some wizard-hold and I would bet my chains that once we get close to that thing - it will animate and attack us. We best have a better plan this time as I am still worse for wear."

Rattigan
2017-03-13, 04:34 PM
"I think we could take it, but it's not going to go anywhere if we leave it till tomorrow. If it makes you feel better, I could conjure an ice slick beneath it's feet. That or try to stick it's feet to the floor so it cannot chase us and we attack it from outside it's reach. And of course, more allies are but a spell away..."

Ripptor
2017-03-14, 12:06 PM
Aetgexe considers, then whispers to Peregrine, "Let's do this, but carefully. Summon something helpful, and then ice is feet while I drain it's strength. Your beast, Twelve and I should be able to close, and we can keep Steelios on you to guard." Aetgexe raises his hand, ready to begin.

Ready an action to cast Ray of Enfeeblement if the creature reacts to Peregrine's casting, or to simultaneously cast with Peregrine against the creature.

J-H
2017-03-14, 09:59 PM
Twelve
The Warforge looks at the creature, then turns to the party.
"Not all artificially constructed beings are automatically hostile. I suggest a conversational approach, with violence as a prepared alternate action."

Darius
2017-03-15, 06:42 AM
Stelios looks over at 12 and says, "I am in no mood for talking." He then looks at the others, "I am not in much shape for fighting, either."

J-H
2017-03-15, 01:47 PM
Twelve strides into the room, making no attempt to hide his presence. He stops in front of the creature (towards its front, so it can see him), about 15' away, and turns to it.

"Hello."

Ripptor
2017-03-15, 02:48 PM
Switching ready trigger as discussed in OoC:

Ready an action to cast Ray of Enfeeblement if the creature attacks Twelve.

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-03-16, 06:45 AM
Twelve enters the room and faces the creature...thing. As he makes his best effort to produce a kind greeting, he already sees that the creature thoughtlessly and mechanically comes to "life". It moves straight up to Twelve and takes a brainless swing at the Warforged. Aetgexe releases his planned magical attack. The ray easily hits, this thing does not seem to possess lightning reflexes. There is no visible effect on your foe, however. Of course, a magical reduction of physical power never shows, but usually the recipient shows some form of response. You strongly feel that the spell failed.

Slam [roll0], damage [roll1]. Critical confirmation (if 30): Slam [roll2], bonus damage [roll3].

http://i.imgur.com/evxF1S2.png

Initiative
-Peregrine, Stelios and Aetgexe
-Monster
-Team, Twelves action resolved first

Ripptor
2017-03-16, 07:09 AM
Seeing his spell wash over the creature with no effect, Aetgexe decides on a more hands-on approach.

Move: 30' to P10

Standard: Arcane Channel Shocking Grasp
Attack: [roll0], +3 if the creature conducts electricity (sounds plausible?)
Damage: [roll1]
Shocking Grsap: [roll2] Electric

Darius
2017-03-16, 05:24 PM
Stelios moves ahead to S14. He says to the spell slinger next to him, "That creature will make short work of the mechanical man. Do your war words have any means of turning the tide and evening the odds by making me stronger or bigger?"

Rattigan
2017-03-17, 07:29 AM
Stelios's words do not seem to reach Aetgexe before he charges in to slash at the flesh construct with a sparking sword.

However, they do reach Peregrine's ears as he rushes up towards the sounds of battle.

"Don't worry. I have enough "war words" to go around. This may feel strange, but just go with it."

Peregrine reaches forward and completes the arcane wizardly formula in the back of his mind with a few words in Draconic and arcane gestures, and Stelios' form swells and grows till he stands at double his normal height, his chains enlarging along with his new form.

Moving up to T15.

Enlarge Person gives Stelios the following:

+2 Strength, -2 Dex, -1 to AC and attack rolls. Double Height, weight increases by 8fold.

Space now 10ft by 10ft. Spiked chain damage goes from 2d4 to 2d6, and your reach with it is now 20ft.

Darius
2017-03-17, 12:11 PM
Stelios Currently enlarged, poisoned, and frenzied STR 24 DEX 11 Fort +5 Ref +4 Will +2 AC 15 Touch 11 HP 41

Seeing the others in danger and with increased strength and size, Stelios' blood begins to boil. With his extended reach and the larger chain, the warrior strikes out at the strange animated man with powerful attacks.

OOC:

Frenzy Rnd 1, 5' step, Trip Attacks and follow-up attacks.

1st attack
[roll0] +5 BAB, +7 Str, -1 size, +1 wpn, +1 feat, -4 PowAtt
[roll1] +7 Str, +4 feat, +4 size

[roll2]+4 if prone
[roll3] +10 STR (w/2-h), +1 wpn, +2 feat, +6 PowAtt

2nd attack
Trip attack if Trip #1 didn't work
[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]+4 if prone
[roll7]

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-03-17, 05:29 PM
Aetgexe speeds into the fray, imbuing his blade with a powerful arcane charge. Sadly, he loses his balance slightly and over-reaches with his blow. The smell of ozone indicates the electrical charge dissipating into thin air. Stelios moves up and finds a good position to strike from, while Peregrine moves with him and blesses him with a Giants physique.

The Undead-Construct-Thing appears to ignore everything around it except what is right in front of it. Its arms weave and wheel, directing a powerful slam attack at both Twelve and Aetgexe.

Slam [roll0], damage [roll1]. Crit confirm (if 30) [roll2], bonus damage [roll3]

Slam [roll4], damage [roll5]. Crit confirm (if 30) [roll6], bonus damage [roll7]

http://i.imgur.com/DrEG0nQ.png

-Team is up (Twelves action resolved first)

Ripptor
2017-03-17, 05:56 PM
Swinging in with the might of his Goddess, Aetgexe feels a rush of despair as his swing misses its mark. As the creature slams into him, he wonders if he has fallen out of favor... Has he fallen off the path she lay before him? Or is her reach lost in the depth of this place?

Rolling with the blow, Aetgexe maneuvers around the creature in concert with Twelve, and tries for an even more practical approach: Hit it really hard.

13 damage taken, [1/10 Iron Ward]

Move: Tumble 10' to P8 [roll0] DC 15 to avoid AoO

Standard attack: (+2 Flanking, +2 Insight) [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

J-H
2017-03-17, 07:29 PM
Twelve

Twelve sidesteps, holding his attack until Aetgexe is in position to flank the opposing construct. "Very well, this was your decision." He plants his feet and slams the creature with his battlefist.

Hit for 8 points of damage after DR. Current HP 47/55.
5' step to N10.
Swift: Switch stance to Punishing Stance (-2ac, +1d6 damage)
Using Mountain Hammer
Attack [roll0] for [roll1] plus [roll2] (2d6 mtn hammer, 1d6 stance) and bypassing DR.

Rattigan
2017-03-20, 03:08 PM
Peregrine half hops, half glides along the wall, avoiding the enlarged whirling barbarian and keeping his more melee proficient allies between him and the monstrousity.

Holding his holy symbol, he incants the Aquan and Celestial to summon the increasingly familiar whirlwind of snow and ice that coalesces into the icy form of the half eagle, half horse Hippogriff behind the flesh amalgamation.

It snaps at the stitched torso with a wickedly hooked beak.

Peregrine will move up to T10 and Conjure an Ice Beast in squares (N7-8,O7-8)

Attack roll is [roll0], +2 if you consider it to be "flanking" with Stelios.

Damage is [roll1] and [roll2] cold damage

Large Construct
Hit Dice: 3d10+30 (46hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +6 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+12
Attack: Bite +8 (1d8+6) or Claw + 8 (1d4+6)
Full Attack: 2 claws +8 melee (1d4+6), and bite +3 melee (1d8+2)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Frigid touch (+1d6 cold damage to all successful melee attacks)
Special Qualities: cold subtype, construct traits
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +1
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 15, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 1

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-03-21, 01:52 PM
Twelve adjusts his position and aims to slam the Construct with a powerful destructive blow. His blow connects, but does not appear to be able to cut through the monsters tough enforced skin. Aetgexe, nimbly positioning himself opposite of Twelve, has more luck. His blade strikes true. He does, however, notice that a significant portion of his attack was absorbed by the monsters defenses (DR). In the meanwhile a giant barbarian is whirling his huge chain in preparation of a tactical strike: The chain lashes around the Constructs ankle and it is being forced out of balance and to the ground. The successive chain attack misses, but Stelios´ second effort lands solidly. Peregrine creeps into the room, gesturing and vocalizing. A large icy horse-like creature appears and attacks the now prone Construct, doing a small, but certain amount of damage.

The construct, mindless and relentless as it is, tries to get up, provoking attacks of opportunity from all those around him.

Aetgexe, Twelve, Stelios and Ice Beast may make an AoO now. Everyone is flanking.

J-H
2017-03-21, 02:08 PM
Twelve AOO

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1] plus [roll2] from Punishing Stance

If crit:
Attack [roll3]
Damage [roll4]

Ripptor
2017-03-21, 02:09 PM
Heartened by those around him, Aetgexe attacks with the rest of the band.

3 damage healed from last strike [3/30]

AoO attack: (+2 Flanking, +2 Insight) [roll0]

Rattigan
2017-03-21, 04:28 PM
The icy construct rips and tears at the flesh amalgam as it tries to rise, spitting out the small part of flesh it was able to rip off before.

[roll0] and [roll1] bite damage and [roll2] cold damage.

Darius
2017-03-21, 10:03 PM
Stelios continues to pummel the animated man with gigantic fervor.

AoO:

[roll0] +5 BAB, +7 Str, -1 size, +1 wpn, +1 feat, -4 PowAtt +4 Prone +2 Flanking
[roll1] +10 STR (w/2-h), +1 wpn, +2 feat, +6 PowAtt

edit: That is funny

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-03-22, 12:34 PM
Twelve and the Ice Hippogriff manage to land a blow as the Construct gets up, and by now it has received a considerable amount of damage. Some of the tubes connecting its various limbs have come apart and blue fluids ooze from its head. It is not dead, yet, however (though one might argue it is not quite alive either), and it uses its last bit of time after getting up to punch Twelve in the stomach with a large clawed appendage.

Slam [roll0], damage [roll1]. Crit confirm (if 30) [roll2], bonus damage [roll3]

The team has it pretty much surrounded, and team is up!

http://i.imgur.com/xC0Syv0.png

Ripptor
2017-03-22, 12:40 PM
Aetgexe continues the assault.

Standard attack: (+2 Flanking, +2 Insight) [roll0]

J-H
2017-03-22, 01:09 PM
Twelve

The construct's attack misses (AC 19-2 for stance), and Twelve counters with a bone-shattering strike.

No DR?
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1] and [roll2] from bonecrusher & punishing stance

Darius
2017-03-22, 03:54 PM
Stelios Currently enlarged, poisoned, and frenzied(rd2) STR 24 DEX 11 Fort +5 Ref +4 Will +2 AC 15 Touch 11 HP 41

The warrior's swing misses most likely due to his current size. Seeing that the creature is standing once again, Stelios attempts to trip it again and then scatter its parts when it is prone.

[roll0] +5 BAB, +7 Str, -1 size, +1 wpn, +1 feat, -4 PowAtt +2 Flanking
[roll1] +7 Str, +4 Feat, +4 Size

[roll2] +4 more if Prone
[roll3] +10 STR (w/2-h), +1 wpn, +2 feat, +6 PowAtt

[roll4] If still up
[roll5]

Otherwise, 2nd attack:
[roll6] +4 more if Prone
[roll7] +10 STR (w/2-h), +1 wpn, +2 feat, +6 PowAtt

Rattigan
2017-03-25, 05:03 PM
Peregrine hurriedly dips the waterskin in the water contained in his extradimensional haversack, before rushing forwardto dump it on the ground. His holy symbol glows as the water ripples up into the small form of the water elemental which swirls in the space next to the construct, surrounding it further.

"Tear it apart!"

The Ice Hippogriff lashes out with both claws and beak, each icy blow weakening the patchwork man further.

Really sorry guys, dropped the ball here. Busy work, busy DMing own campaign and had big boss dragon fight today to prep for. Still excuses I know, very sorry.

Rolls for Ice Hippogriff
Full Attack: 2 claws +8 melee (1d4+6), and bite +3 melee (1d8+2), +2 for flanking opposite Stelios.
Claw 1
and damage of [roll1] + [roll1d6 cold
Claw 2
and damage of [roll3] + [roll1d6 cold
Bite
and damage of [roll5] + [roll1d6 cold

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-03-26, 05:11 AM
The team puts in another effort to end the constructs existence. While Twelve and Aetgexe find that their blows don´t connect with force to damage it, Stelios manages to trip it and deal significant damage to it, almost severing its limbs with his cutting attacks. It still moves, though, and is preparing to stand up again when the Ice Hippogriff claws it in the chest. The Golems structural integrity fails and the many tubes connecting its limbs to its brain disconnect, producing a spray of colourful oils and liquids. Twelve, Aetgexe and Ice Hippogriff receive [roll0] acid damage from these fluids (a reflex safe DC10 avoids contact with the harmful substance and reduces the damage to 0).

You look around and notice that all your companions are still alive, although some have received some heavy blows. You now have the opportunity to search the room. Just as with the other room, it has been cleared out in the past. The only thing you find, lying on the ground in the corner of the room, is a ring. It is fairly big and heavy and with basic ornamentation, suggesting it was made for a man rather than a woman. Further, Aetgexe notices that in the northeastern corner of the room, a standard to hold a candle is attached to the wall. Interestingly, it is the only one in these rooms. Upon inspection, he finds that it can be pulled, as if a lever. You conclude this may produce access to some hidden room or compartment.

Ripptor
2017-03-26, 08:55 AM
Aetgexe avoids the arterial spray of acid death as the creature collapses, keeping a mental note to watch out for that in the future. Pocketing the bauble for later inspection, Aetgexe calls out to the others, "This candle sconce is not merely ornamental! We may have further to explore yet..." Lining up along the wall to the side, he gives it an inspection for danger, allowing the others to prepare.

Almost forgot, trapfinding is up to me now!

If found, Disable: [roll1]

Otherwise, once everyone is ready, assuming the lever is 'in' O2, he'll pull the lever from N2 :smallbiggrin:

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-03-26, 09:03 AM
Aetgexe has convinced himself that there are no traps associated with the suspected secret passage.

I am giving everyone some time to post before letting Aetgexe pull the lever. Of course, it is safe, and nothing is going to happen and all....but, eh, maybe some people want the opportunity to heal or otherwise prepare.

J-H
2017-03-26, 09:20 AM
Twelve
Twelve dodges the spray of caustic fluids.
"Disappointing."

Reflex [roll0]

When Aetgexe identifies the probable door, he comes over to look and stands nearby.

Darius
2017-03-26, 06:51 PM
Stelios

Making sure no acid is on his weapon, Stelios looks for some containers to collect the acid. He will collect as much as he can safely.

Rattigan
2017-03-27, 05:16 AM
"It is somewhat strange that the room has been emptied, yet there was a ring just sitting on the floor there. I advise more caution in future Aetgexe. It could have been cursed to stick to your flesh once you picked it up, or had some other kind of enchantment upon it."

Peregrine gingerly steps over the disassembled construct as behind him the ice hippogriff melts away into a rapidly disappearing pile of slush. The small water elemental flows over the ground behind him, trailing close to his heels.

"So, do we press yet further on? Bar some slight residual effects of the poison on Stelios, everyone is in reasonably good health are they not?"

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-03-27, 02:01 PM
Aetgexe pulls the lever. A portion of the wall next to the lever sinks into the wall a bit deeper and slides noisily aside. It reveals a dark corridor heading eastward, some 40 feet deep and 10 foot wide. At the end, it appears to turn northwards. No sounds come from inside, but...something...something is off...you can´t put your finger on it, but you are touched by an empty, hollow feeling. Then, you hear some mumbling or muttering far in the distance, beyond the turn in the corridor. It is impossible to make out what is being said. Maybe, if you go closer?

Darius
2017-03-27, 07:42 PM
[COLOR="#008080"]"So, do we press yet further on? Bar some slight residual effects of the poison on Stelios, everyone is in reasonably good health are they not?"

Stelios

"Although I am weary from the fight, I would like to know how long I shall stay this size? It may be in our best interest to press on unless I am to shrink shortly." Stelios smiles at his own pun. "Peregrine, perhaps we should continue to use this technique to ensorcel me to this size in the future if it is not too tall of an order." Stelios smiles again at his own mirth.

Ripptor
2017-03-28, 07:12 AM
Aetgexe cracks a wry smile at the big man, then turns again into the deep hallway. Taking a step in, he tries to really focus on the hallway, and the feeling of strangeness nagging at him.

Roll to disbelieve the hallway? Spot check to notice a clue as to why something is off?

DM can roll in private!

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-03-28, 08:07 AM
Aetgexe steps into the hallway and takes in the atmosphere while peering around for clues. He decides the hallway is a hallway. No foul play or deceiving magics. The shivers get a bit more intense, though, and Aetgexe deduces that it is just the ominous creeps one can get when in a dark forest during a thunderstorm, or when strolling on a moon-lit graveyard. Is it the residue of long-gone evil, the lingering scent of once-present necromancy, the inaudible moans of agony and horror that still resonate long after someone was suffering? Hard to say, but it appears to be mostly a mental issue.

Rattigan
2017-03-28, 05:01 PM
"I like not this feeling. It brings to mind the altars soaked with the lifeblood of many sacrifices that the goblins, orcs and those of their ilk employed over long, bloody years. At least, till we came along."

Peregrine shivers, a chill ruffling through his feathers.

"Much evil has been done here."

Nevertheless. he steps up behind Aetgexe, determined to pull his weight.

Darius
2017-03-28, 06:17 PM
Stelios

Not one to push the issue and re-ask his query, Stelios follows behind the others, knowing his large size increases his reach.

Ripptor
2017-03-29, 08:22 AM
Listening to the mutterings from down the hall Aetgexe looks sideways at Peregrine, "Evil may not be done with it yet, either." Leading the way down the hall slowly, Aetgexe scans the floor in an attempt to get the drop on the source of the sound.

Moving half speed for Move Silently [roll0]

As he moves, keeping an eye on the floor for any traps:
Listen: [roll1]
Spot: [roll2]
Disable: [roll4]

Assumed matching order, in 10ft Hall:
Aetgexe and Twelve
Peregrine and Elemental
Enlarged Steelios

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-03-29, 11:52 AM
Aetgexe leads the team down the hallway. Nothing out of the ordinary, no traps are detected. At the end of the hallway, it turns northwards and opens up into a room. This room is sunken into the floor: it is 6 feet lower than the level you are at now. At your feet, you see where once a ladder was likely attached. No more, however. You can hop down safely, and climbing back up would not be much of an issue (it´d just take some time). In the room, you see a table or workbench, empty. On the western wall is a small bookshelf. This shelf actually does have books on it, but from here you can´t tell anything about the nature of the books. A corridor leads northwards on the northwestern end. You can´t really see in. The blabbering and whimpering noise is a bit louder here, but it does not stem from this room....rather from deeper in.

http://i.imgur.com/aJJySHB.png

J-H
2017-03-29, 04:27 PM
Twelve

Twelve stands at the edge of the drop and looks down.

"This will not serve as a primary conduit for trade. We will need to reverse our course and clear the rubble out of the main tunnel at some point."

Darius
2017-03-29, 08:27 PM
Stelios

Using his enlarged size, Stelios steps down and will move the work bench to provide a way up if a hastey retreat is necessary.

Ripptor
2017-03-29, 08:52 PM
Listening to Twelve, Aetgexe adds in, "Our goal does include a full emptying of the adjacent halls for safety.. But we could spend our evening clearing the rubble after this look... Did a superior supervise the work from here, secretly from their office?" Musings interrupted, he steps aside to allow Steelios to venture forward.

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-03-30, 01:20 PM
Stelios hops down and starts moving the table about. With his size and strength, he can easily lift it and replace it without making too much noise. There appears to be no direct response to his activity. Should a hasty retreat be needed, you can now scramble up a bit faster and easier.

Ripptor
2017-03-30, 05:33 PM
"Why thanks, how very big of you!" Aetgexe winks at Steelios as he makes his stairway. "Be on guard, those mutterings are emanating from somewhere nearby... Perhaps a restless spirit?"

Drawing his sword, Aetgexe makes his way to the bookshelf to see if any treasures of knowledge have been left behind. Judging by the haunting murmurs in the room, any knowledge found is likely to be necromantic in nature...

I rolled the best listen check I can, and the darn sounds are coming from somewhere in this room. I'm guessing... ghosts?

Darius
2017-03-31, 06:56 AM
Stelios

The enlarged warrior smiles at the joke, but then his face hardens as he nods to the command to be on guard. Stelios moves to position where he can protect the others as they search the room.

J-H
2017-03-31, 09:55 AM
Twelve
Twelve hops down with a clanking thud, bypassing the table. After the others have stepped down, he places a hand on it and presses down with some of his weight, trying to determine if it will break when used to ascend in a hurry.

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-04-01, 05:22 AM
In post 215 I said that the sound did not come from this room, but from further in.

With Stelios on guard, Twelve makes sure that the table is sturdy enough. It is, though perhaps having Twelve and the Enlarged Stelios jump on it at the same time might be pushing it. Aetgexe inspects the books. The first book almost immediately disintegrates upon touching. They´ve obviously been standing here a long time. Perhaps letting them sit for specialist librarians and alchemists might be wise, they may know how to handle them without destroying them. From the covers, it is clear they deal on knowledge regarding the dead, undead and dark magic. One book stands out, though. It looks to be in perfect shape, and touching it does not affect it. Perhaps it is relatively new, or it has been protected by magic of sorts? "On rituals and synergy: taking magic to the next level" is the title. A quick browse tells that it explains methods to develop procedures to use combined power of different magicians to achieve magical feats beyond those a single magician would be able to perform. It is a thick book, with dense, complex texts. It will take weeks of study to learn something sensible from it.

Ripptor
2017-04-01, 08:27 AM
Aetgexe examines the book in his hand, excitement welling within him. "Peregrine! This time may be of use to us." Looking up from the tome, he puts down the hallway, trying to decide wether to turn back and read now, or continue on...

I totally misread that post about the sounds. Tired...

Darius
2017-04-01, 09:03 AM
Stelios

"I say read it as a bed-time story. Either we camp in a different room with watches set or press on."

Ripptor
2017-04-02, 03:41 PM
Aetgexe agrees with Darius. "Indeed. Let us retire back to the stone port-village for the evening. I'll help Twelve clear the hallway, and you can shake off the last of that vermin's venom." Turning in place, Aetgexe jumps up the table-stair and leads the way back.

Return to stone settlement, allow Darius to rest, Peregrine to study, and Twelve and I to clear the northern hallway. We can move the stones into the NW corner of the stone settlement, where the large centipede came from?

Rattigan
2017-04-02, 05:16 PM
"Excellent. Perhaps the book holds a key as to how the elemental was bound to the atrium?"

Peregrine looks around the room.

"It would seem there is not much else to find here. I'll keep an eye on Stelios back at the buildings."

Darius
2017-04-02, 07:45 PM
Stelios

The warrior nods and climbs out of the pit and eventually returns to the other library. This way the party has a place to stay and a means of escape. Furniture is arranged for a defensible position, and the warrior is soon asleep.

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-04-03, 12:17 PM
You retreat and spend the night in peace. Will you put efforts towards clearing rubble, and if yes, how many man-hours?

J-H
2017-04-03, 12:55 PM
Twelve
After using his belt to repair himself, Twelve uses his pick to begin breaking through the rubble. It's not a quiet process, and several of the living members of the group probably wish for a quieter sleeping environment.

The standard adventuring day is only 8 hours long (to avoid fatigue checks), so we have 8-16 hours available before "the next day."
Since Twelve is at 47/55, he will use charges from his healing belt to repair himself, and spend the rest of the time working. [roll0] /2 = 6, [roll1] /2 = 4, [roll2].

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-04-04, 11:56 AM
With Twelve working and others helping out, you manage to clear most of the rubble. You can squeeze through, but not quite yet walk or run through yet. That will take another night (or day) of working. On the other side, you see that the hallway continues on. You don´t discern any doors or side-passages in the direct vicinity (say, the 90 feet after the rubble). Will you continue work on the rubble, squeeze through and explore the other side, or continue your exploration of the "study" chambers?

Rattigan
2017-04-05, 09:34 AM
"If you wish to work on clearing the rubble so we can progress, I would be most eager to examine this tome in more detail. I can also prepare an identification spell for this ring. I was much better at conjuration at the wizard academy though, so that will be most of my readied spells. I can usually only prepare one spell that is anything else, so if I prepare Identify, I shall not be able to Enlarge Stelios or Aetgexe till the day after. So a day of clearing rubble sounds like a good idea. Gives us time to do what we need."

Peregrine looks over to Stelios and grins.

"When we go back to town, I will see if I can get a wand that will allow me to make you a giant more often, my barbarian friend."

Darius
2017-04-05, 09:37 PM
Stelios

The warrior listens to the options. "I think it would be good to know what that ring can do." He points toward the blocked passage and says, "I would rather leave the way barricaded this much for the time being as it may be keeping something like that vermin that poisoned me in that area. I say we find out what the ring does and explore the other area."

Ripptor
2017-04-06, 11:41 AM
Aetgexe waves dismissively about the ring. "The ring is a mere bauble, I gave given it an inspection myself this last night. However, I agree we should aim to clear out this side page before moving onward today. We do not wish to get pincered, venom or no venom..." Aetgexe smiles at the muscled man, now looking much better after his recovery.

Ready to go, can we just go back to the room and start from there?

J-H
2017-04-06, 11:47 AM
Twelve

"Very well, the wizard's lair it is. A laboratory may well be next." Twelve leads the way past the formerly trapped areas and down to the lowered room.

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-04-06, 11:52 AM
Next morning, the team is ready to further explore the study. The table is still there, acting as a make-shift stair, as is the book shelf (although it is now missing one book). In the northwest corner is a hallway leading north. It looms ominously in the dark....the tingling sensation is still there, as is the incomprehensible muttering and babbling in the distance.

You managed to get Stelios´ dex back up between resting and (if needed) magic?

Ripptor
2017-04-06, 12:41 PM
Aetgexe slowly leads the way into the dark, keeping an eye out for danger...

Assuming everyone is following behind me, their choice of order!

Moving half speed for Move Silently [roll0]

As he moves, keeping an eye on the floor and walls for any traps:
Listen: [roll1]
Spot: [roll2]
Disable: [roll4]

Darius
2017-04-06, 08:42 PM
Stelios

With the chain at the ready, Stelios stays close to Peregrine and says, "Your words of war that made me into a giant are welcomed if we face a foe."

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-04-07, 03:21 PM
Aetgexe stalks down the hallway, weary for danger. After a short bit, it opens up into a new, smaller room. There are no features of note in this room. It is a bit small to have a real purpose. Maybe a sofa and a table would make for a nice waiting room, antechamber....anyway, that does not matter. There´s a door in the northeast corner. It is a common wooden indoors-door, not the thick type you´d have as a front door, and not one that typically has a solid lock. Just as Aetgexe moves into the room, he thinks he saw a shadow moving. It was a blip in a split-second, though. He could be wrong, but then again, his senses are quite sharp. Strangely noone else appears to be in this room. The babbling comes from behind the door.

http://i.imgur.com/K4W8PCB.png

Ripptor
2017-04-08, 09:27 AM
Aetgexe blinks, trying to make sure he indeed saw something. "I think I saw something," He whispers to those behind him. "But it vanished. Might be ghosts, afterall..." Aetgexe slowly makes his way into the room, towards the door on the far side.

If he makes it to the door, he'll do a search + disarm. Otherwise, well, at least we got a heads up that we might be fighting!

Disable: [roll1]

Rattigan
2017-04-09, 10:08 AM
Peregrine clutches his holy symbol a little tighter to his chest.

"My... war-words, as Stelios calls them, should be able to help if they are ghostly in nature. And the power of Lliendil can send them running, if I am strong enough of will and soul."

Roll for lesser restoration on Stelios, since I missed that we slept. [roll0]

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-04-09, 02:23 PM
Aetgexe opens the door safely. Now the door is open, the muttering becomes clearly auduble. It takes on a sad, moaning tone. It sinks deep into your essence and buries itself in your soul. A feeling as if you are mourning the loss of the most important thing in your life overcomes you. The door gives access to a short hallway ending in a room. It is dark and therefore from here hard to see into the room. However, those with sharp sight can, with the aid of light, make out a 3ft high pillar in the room. Something is attached to it...chains? At the base of the column lies a heap of something. Bones, perhaps? Lurking over the pile of (assumed) bones, you see a shady figure. It does not seem to notice you, or simply does not care about your presence. As you creep down the hallway, the creatures agonizing vocalizations start to get the better of you.

Everyone must make a will save (mind-affecting, necromancy) DC16. Those that succeed take a -2 on all dice rolls, those that fail take a -4. Yes, all dice rolls.

http://i.imgur.com/KIBEBiJ.png

Everyone may take an action. Please limit actions to what may be achieved in one round of combat. Those that want to roll knowledge checks, knowledge (religion) is applicable here.

J-H
2017-04-09, 02:50 PM
Twelve
Twelve stares ahead at the ominous...whatever it is. He faced nothing like this in his training.

Will [roll0]

Rattigan
2017-04-09, 03:04 PM
Peregrine lets out a small gasp, and focuses his will against the babbling even as he tries to recall if he has read about this in one of his many books at the monastery.

[roll0] for Will Save

[roll1] for Knowledge religion, -2 if pass Will or -4 if fail.

Ripptor
2017-04-09, 08:54 PM
Aetgexe feels the creeping dread crawl into his soul, and steels himself against the necromantic influences of the undead. Peering through the darkness, he tries to recognize the creature there...

[roll0] for Will Save, Mettle negates on success.

[roll1] for Knowledge religion, -4 if failed Will

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-04-10, 12:55 AM
From this distance you are not 100% sure, of course, but this appears to be a kind of Apparition, much like (but not quite as) the classical Ghost. It does not really have a common name, though some scholars have coined the term Baelch, which never really stuck. Possibly because it is quite rare. The consensus among scholars is that these Apparitions can come into existence when suffering, injustice and tragedy combined lead to someones death. It is believed that the spirit lingers to complain, or maybe even "protest" the matter. To no avail, of course. Rumours are that these beings cannot be damaged or destroyed by magic or physical violence. On the up-side, they are also believed to not cause harm, besides their terrible song of agony.

Do note the last line of my previous post: you all can put in one round worth of actions. Nothing happens as long as you stay standing where you are.

Darius
2017-04-10, 06:34 AM
Stelios

The fighter enters with the rest and hears the lamenting that pierces his soul to the core.

[roll0] -4 it is, then!

J-H
2017-04-10, 08:03 AM
Twelve

"Priorities conflict: Clear a pathway suitable for trade? Or clear out all hazards? The stairway ahead is not part of the main pathway, and whatever is ahead appears to be an immobile threat."

Ripptor
2017-04-10, 09:47 AM
Aetgexe peers at the undead wretch, trying to discern it's woes. Perhaps it's own body lie there, or that of a loved one? The failure of a soul to depart into his Queen's domain calls out to him, as a duty to be fulfilled. "Spirit," He calls out, walking forward slowly. "What woe besets you in such agony, that we may hear your pain?"

Fetch quest / Kill quest, maybe? DM can roll diplomacy if it is called for here, just trying to help.

Autopsibiofeeder
2017-04-10, 01:30 PM
Aetgexe moves forwards, to halfway down the hallway and addresses the Spirit. He gets no response, however. Actually, there is no sign that it understands him, or can even hear him. It is as if Aetgexe does not exist to the Being.