PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] "Unusual" AC Boost Items

Thurbane
2017-01-20, 05:51 AM
Hey all,

Looking for permanent magic item that bestow an AC bonus other than the most common types (i.e. armor, shield, natural and deflection). Looking for things like luck, insight, sacred etc.

Looking specifically for permanent items, not Wands (eternal or otherwise), Scrolls etc.

Also, looking specficially for published item, not for custom items.

Cheers - T

Xaroth
2017-01-20, 06:24 AM
Hey all,

Looking for permanent magic item that bestow an AC bonus other than the most common types (i.e. armor, shield, natural and deflection). Looking for things like luck, insight, sacred etc.

Looking specifically for permanent items, not Wands (eternal or otherwise), Scrolls etc.

Cheers - T

Runestaff of Power (MIC pg.181) gives a +2 luck bonus on AC and saves as long as it's held.
The Parrying enhancement (MIC pg.40) grants a +1 insight bonus on AC and saves. While you did say permanent items I felt it was worth mentioning.
Ioun Stone, Dusty Rose Prism (SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm)) grants a +1 Insight Bonus to AC.

Aside from those, can't think of much off the top of my head.

Khedrac
2017-01-20, 06:49 AM
Defending weapons (the cheesey method is weapon and armor spikes) give an untyped AC bonus that "stacks with all others".

Fizban
2017-01-20, 07:04 AM
Robe of the Vagabond from Complete Champion is one of the more efficient ones, +1 luck to AC and saves for not very much at all. Retributive Amulet from BoED gives +2 sacred AC, but that hardly matters compared to splitting all incoming damage with your attacker- except if you count MiC versions as official errata then it no longer exists.

Darrin
2017-01-20, 08:21 AM
Amulet of Teamwork (MIC) can be activated as a swift action to give you and an ally a +5 competence bonus to AC for 1 round.

Lesser Crystal of Arrow Deflection (MIC) gives a +5 untyped bonus to AC against ranged attacks.

Vambraces of Warding (MIC) give a +2 sacred bonus to AC against ranged attacks.

Mr Adventurer
2017-01-20, 08:22 AM
The regular Staff of Power adds the same +2 luck bonus - but, strictly RAW, loses this property once out of charges, even though it remains a +2 quarterstaff.

Xaroth
2017-01-20, 08:26 AM
Are you looking for strictly AC boosting items, or are you interested in things that can just straight up make you more difficult to hit/deal damage to? I remember there was one cloak that completely negated damage that wasn't from magic or a magic weapon, and in all other accounts allowed you a reflex save to half whatever damage you would otherwise take.

Doctor Despair
2017-01-20, 09:43 AM
Artificers Item Alteration can temporarily change bonus types so that things that previously wouldn't stack do.

Xaroth
2017-01-20, 10:11 AM
Artificers Item Alteration can temporarily change bonus types so that things that previously wouldn't stack do.

Thurbane specified permanent in the OP.

Doctor Despair
2017-01-20, 10:53 AM
Thurbane specified permanent in the OP.

Ah, my bad.

ShurikVch
2017-01-20, 12:23 PM
Graverobber's Skull (Dungeon #138): +2 luck bonus to AC; Shoulders body slot; 16100 gp
Topaz Diadem (Lords of Madness): +1 sacred bonus to AC; Head body slot; 12000 gp

Gruftzwerg
2017-01-20, 12:35 PM
maybe obvious.. Monk's Belt/Tattoo.
Gives AC as a monk with 5/4 (more) lvls, incl. the Wis to AC bonus.
Don't know if they stack (the additional lvls), but I guess so.

Naez
2017-01-20, 01:11 PM
If you use custom magic item creation rules you could make an item of luck, insight, and sacred (or profane) each ac bonuses for:

+1: 2,500 g
+2: 10,000 g
+3: 22,500 g
+4: 40,000 g
+5: 62,500 g

Thurbane
2017-01-20, 03:33 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, good stuff.