2007-07-19, 08:32 PM
A spell I've been working on lately:

Fizzan's Magic Archer
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sorc/Wiz 3
Components: V, S
Range: Medium (100ft.+10 ft./ level)
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Targets: Up to as many arrows fired (maximum 10) as long as they are in range.
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None/ Reflex Half
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell functions much like Magic Missile but is far more versatile. Magic Archer can be fired as a consecutive burst shot or a singular but powerful lightning bolt style shot. When fired as a burst each arrow deals 1d4+1 damage and the amount of arrows equals your caster level (a tenth level caster would fire ten arrows). As a singular shot it deals 1d12 damage per 2/levels (maximum 5d12) and fires in a line.

The shots have the appearance of missiles of energy arking out towards the target(s) or of a single line of crackling force streaking towards the target.

Both versions can be used to do sub-dual damage if required. When a caster other than the caster of this spells hears the incantation they will be able (if they could identify the spell in the first place) to discern which mode it is being fired in.

Comments? Suggestions?

keyboardboy101
2007-07-19, 10:07 PM
Just a couple things. As a third level spell it should have a max number of missiles (15 for instance).

I really like the idea of having the option of one burst vs. many. By in a line do you mean like lighting? Or do you mean that it is more of a burst effect like fireball? I'm guessing that you mean that it is like a real arrow (meaning a ranged touch attack might be needed).

If a character can't discern the spell being cast, can they tell which mode it is in?

RaistlinandPals
2007-07-20, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Made some changes and yeah I was thinking a "lightning bolt" style line.

As for being able to tell the mode its cast in if you don't recognize the spell...well you'd either be seeing one straight blast of force, or several magic missiles flying out in multiple directions.

Anxe
2007-07-20, 08:57 PM
Yeah that's a cool spell right there. The limit should definitely be 10.

JackMage666
2007-07-20, 09:53 PM
I thought this was for archers...

I'd make a Focus of Arrows (depending on the number shot), that is used up on the attack (just as if they were shot and hit the target). Just cause it sounds like an Archer type thing, not a purely magical force (like Magic Missile).

Side note - Making an Arcane Archer, are we? Sounds like you want a Fitting Spell for one.