PDA

View Full Version : Masterwork Armor Check & swimming

Nogard
2007-07-19, 08:37 PM
OK, from what i understand, the armor check penalty for masterwork armor is lessened by 1, and the armor check penalty when swimming is doubled.

Question is, which applies first? Do i subtract before doubling or after?.

Diggorian
2007-07-19, 08:42 PM
Subtract to find the new ACP, then double for swimming.

giblina
2007-07-19, 08:58 PM
Mithral chain is awesome for swimming... 0 armor check penalty :)

Isomenes
2007-07-19, 10:49 PM
Mithral chain is awesome for swimming... 0 armor check penalty :)

Yes, I opted for the chain instead of breastplate for that very reason. -1 doubled is much worse than -0. That's what the ring of protection is for.

MeklorIlavator
2007-07-19, 11:28 PM
Yes, I opted for the chain instead of breastplate for that very reason. -1 doubled is much worse than -0. That's what the ring of protection is for.

Get a Mithral Breastplate of nimbleness. Max dex of 6, acp of 0(technically, it would be 1, but it can't actually give a bonus, so its treated as zero).

Isomenes
2007-07-20, 12:22 AM
Get a Mithral Breastplate of nimbleness. Max dex of 6, acp of 0(technically, it would be 1, but it can't actually give a bonus, so its treated as zero).

Nimbleness? Not in SRD, what's your source?

SMDVogrin
2007-07-20, 12:31 AM
Nimbleness? Not in SRD, what's your source?

It was from one of the FR books originally, and it was included in the MIC. +1 Max dex, +2 ACP.

Person_Man
2007-07-20, 09:25 AM
I saw someone at a Ren Fair swim across a lake in plate armor to demonstrate that its actually a lot lighter and more flexible then people think it is. Of course, it was a Ren Fair, so who knows how accurate it was.

Also, I think there's a +1 armor property called buoyant that gives you a Swim bonus instead of a penalty.

Norsesmithy
2007-07-20, 10:36 AM
I saw someone at a Ren Fair swim across a lake in plate armor to demonstrate that its actually a lot lighter and more flexible then people think it is. Of course, it was a Ren Fair, so who knows how accurate it was.

I've actually done this (to be fair, I didn't cross the lake though), the harness weighed 55 lbs, and didn't fit me perfect, but I had little difficulty.

I can only imagine how much easier a properly fitted suit of plate would have been.

Zim
2007-07-20, 10:59 AM
Magic Item Compendium has Crystals of Aquatic Action. The least one (500gp) eliminates the ACP of armour for swimming purposes. Stormwrack has some extra stuff too like Keeled armour (50gp) that gives you a +2 bonus to swim checks.