PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Wolf Riding Halfling Cavalier?

Merellin
2017-01-20, 12:43 PM
Hello everyone! I'm new here and am currently playing Pathfinder for the first time (Currently playing a Cleric as I dident know what to make, Time was limited, And I was overwhelmed by the choises..) and while browsering the rules and classes and stuff, I stumbled across this intresting character idea, A halfling Cavalier who's mount is a wolf. I love wolves, And this just seemed awesome! But I was curious, Are Cavaliers intresting to play? And does anyone have any sugestions on making one? (Dont want to power game, I'm just thinking sugestions like, What stats are good to have high, Useful skills and such)

Geddy2112
2017-01-20, 02:07 PM
Small cavaliers are very good, because a medium mount does not present issues in dungeon delving and tight spaces. Wolves are really good because they can trip with their attacks. The strength penalty hurts a bit, and you don't exactly need great charisma as a caviler but it can be done. You also have the option of using your wolf like a druid animal companion and flanking/attacking on foot instead of just riding.

As for a mount caviler, your standard build is the mounted lancer charger that does tons of damage, but you can also go with a more defensive build, a support, or even a ranged build with the luring caviler. These builds and roles are not mutually exclusive, and there are others. Your feats and ability scores will depend on your particular build. Likewise, some orders are better for certain builds than others. Order of the shield is good for defensive/tank builds, while order of the flame is good for lancer powerchage builds, and order of the dragon is a good support/utility build.

For skills, your order gives skills, some of which are really useful(perception) and others not so much(knowledge: nobility). Cavilers come stock with all of the face/social skills, so you can be a decent face out the gate.

The order of the paw (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier/orders/paizo---cavalier-orders/order-of-the-paw-halfling) is a halfling specific order that is quite good and thematic for a mount; it lends itself to tanking. However, you don't need this order to select a wolf as a small mount. Halflings are the best race for the aid another mechanic and can push its utility through the roof, and order of the dragon also helps aid another if you wanna be a support character.

I am personally not a fan of the caviler as a class, as I think hunter does it better in every way, but one player in my group swears by them and has tons of fun. He actually built a boar riding halfing lancer that did a scary amount of damage on the charge a couple campaigns ago. They can fill a lot of niches and function as capable combatants that help their entire party be better during in combat, and can help out of combat with social skills or knowledge/survival if their order allows.

Here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uuAB8SfE5ssZLYwa1LuQQ4haz1tD1q28Iyl8XAdMNxY/edit?hl=en_US) is a good guide to the caviler. Read it over to cook up your rough build and concept, then post it for tweaks/edits/fine tuning/etc.

Merellin
2017-01-20, 03:42 PM
Thank you for the most helpful post! I dont yet know much about what classes are fun or useful, But a halfling riding a wolf charging at the enemies just sound like awesome fun! =D I'l take a look at the guide, Thanks for sharing it ^_^