PDA

View Full Version : How to make an E6 medieval Swat team?

arkangel111
2017-01-20, 08:19 PM
I saw the previous thread talking about an actual swat team and it got me thinking, what would a medieval swat team look like? Not talking just a bunch of crossbow users but a swat like team that could quickly take care of CR appropriate encounters.
Assume E6 anything but dragon mag is OK but let's try this with no magic or psionics.
Go.

Naez
2017-01-20, 08:51 PM
I'd recommend a standard 4 man dnd party just play it like a swat team

Pointman/Breacher/Tank
EOD Expert/Trapfinder
Medic/Healer
Heavy Weapons/Caster

With no magic though I'd replace the caster with a volley archer. But it makes the healing role completely impossible. Healing in dnd is 100% magical unless you want to wait 3 days downtime each time a character takes a minor hit.

Ruethgar
2017-01-20, 09:02 PM
A swat team seems like it would fall into NPC territory, so I would like to direct you to the commoner handbook. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?232822-The-Commoner-Handbook

The big thing if you want them to be able to dea with higher CR creatures are the archers. Taking things out from afar is their best shot(no pun intended).

WhatThePhysics
2017-01-21, 02:05 AM
If I'm limiting myself to the System Reference Document, and prohibiting myself from using anything that defies physics:

I'd assemble a bunch of 3rd level Warriors with maximum ranks in Intimidate and Ride, plus the feats Endurance and Diehard. I'd equip them with heavy maces, longspears, longswords, composite longbows, flasks of oil, torches, bags of caltrops, and heavy shields. I'd also give them warhorses, and provide both them and their mounts with appropriate armor.

When a threat makes itself known, I'd direct the mounted warriors to encircle and pepper it with arrows from afar. If close quarters combat becomes necessary, I'd direct them to block the target's escape routes with caltrops and ignited pools of oil. Should that not be enough, I'd have the warriors attempt to demoralize them with repeated Intimidate checks, then use their melee weapons to bypass damage reduction that's vulnerable to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing.

Nifft
2017-01-21, 11:14 AM
Assume E6 anything but dragon mag is OK but let's try this with no magic or psionics.
Go.

Define your terms.

"No magic" means no Incarnum / Binders / Dragonfire Adepts / Warlocks / no magic items, or do you mean no Wizards & Clerics?

Asking for no magic at all in an E6 world is like asking for a real-life SWAT team with no firearms.