PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in a demiplane?

sir_argo
2017-01-20, 09:03 PM
According to the 8th level wizard spell, Demiplane,

"You create a shadowy door on a flat solid surface that you can see within range."

"The door leads to a demiplane"

"When the spell ends, the door disappears, and any creatures or objects inside the demiplane remain trapped there, as the door also disappears from the other side."

"Each time you cast this spell, you can create a new demiplane, or have the shadowy door connect to a demiplane you created with a previous casting of this spell"

Nowhere in the spell does it say you can cast the spell to create a door OUT of your demiplane. So, if I'm literal about the spell, it means that if a wizard makes the mistake of staying inside when the spell duration ends...BAM! Stuck forever.

Is that right?

Vogonjeltz
2017-01-20, 09:09 PM
According to the 8th level wizard spell, Demiplane,

"You create a shadowy door on a flat solid surface that you can see within range."

"The door leads to a demiplane"

"When the spell ends, the door disappears, and any creatures or objects inside the demiplane remain trapped there, as the door also disappears from the other side."

"Each time you cast this spell, you can create a new demiplane, or have the shadowy door connect to a demiplane you created with a previous casting of this spell"

Nowhere in the spell does it say you can cast the spell to create a door OUT of your demiplane. So, if I'm literal about the spell, it means that if a wizard makes the mistake of staying inside when the spell duration ends...BAM! Stuck forever.

Is that right?

Well, banishment would work, but sure.

Drackolus
2017-01-20, 09:58 PM
Such is the price of unimaginable power. You die if you don't think things through.

Sigreid
2017-01-21, 12:39 AM
I think plane shift would work as well. The key reason I could see for others not being able to plane shift in would be not knowing how to find it in the vastness of the multiverse.

JoeJ
2017-01-21, 12:55 AM
Such is the price of unimaginable power. You die if you don't think things through.

Sort of like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfTfXLLJlzM). (Although a demiplane is a bit larger than a lamp.)

I may actually use that interpretation if I ever DM a group with a character who gets this spell. As long as the player is forewarned, I've got no problem with high level spells requiring caution.

hymer
2017-01-21, 03:19 AM
Sort of like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfTfXLLJlzM). (Although a demiplane is a bit larger than a lamp.)

Blast, beat me to it! :smallwink:

Is that right?

Yup, the second casting would just connect the current demiplane to a new one. It's a little like how casting a fireball with yourself in the AoE can curtail future career prospects. That said, it wouldn't be out of line for the DM to let the PC reopen his own demiplane.

Vogonjeltz
2017-01-21, 01:41 PM
Blast, beat me to it! :smallwink:

Yup, the second casting would just connect the current demiplane to a new one. It's a little like how casting a fireball with yourself in the AoE can curtail future career prospects. That said, it wouldn't be out of line for the DM to let the PC reopen his own demiplane.

Again, Banishment; it's a lower level spell that will kick you back to your home plane.

TraigosOde
2017-01-21, 04:10 PM
Banishment won't work. In order to send someone how it has to last the full duration which means the wizard has to use concentration. However, banishment also incapacitates the subject which breaks concentration.

SharkForce
2017-01-21, 04:26 PM
Banishment won't work. In order to send someone how it has to last the full duration which means the wizard has to use concentration. However, banishment also incapacitates the subject which breaks concentration.

the incapacitation comes from being banished to the harmless demiplane, which doesn't happen if you are instead sent to your home plane.

Typhon
2017-01-21, 08:17 PM
Plane shift should work, if you thought ahead to get the proper spell components. Of course you could always set up said demiplane as a private sanctuary from the world. If you took the proper steps.

Vogonjeltz
2017-01-21, 10:03 PM
the incapacitation comes from being banished to the harmless demiplane, which doesn't happen if you are instead sent to your home plane.

BINGO.

Banishment is your planar adventure get out of jail free card.

Coffee_Dragon
2017-01-22, 09:20 AM
What if the demiplane has the strong annoying planar trait and concentration is impossible? Use Ophus Beanfellow's inestimable Charms of Planar Escape!

Charm of Planar Escape
Wondrous item, uncommon
When you bite down on this oddly textured pistachio nut, if you currently occupy a plane of existence other than your home plane, you enjoy the effect of the banishment spell and return indefinitely to your home plane. Typically you will appear in a location that is familiar and safe. Then spit out the now useless nut, since it can cause cancer if ingested.

Eldan
2017-01-22, 10:02 AM
Not sure how 5E runs it, but Planescape (and I think 3E) specified that you can just walk through the outside wall of many demiplanes and end up on the ethereal or astral plane.

Saeviomage
2017-01-22, 10:50 PM
BINGO.

Banishment is your planar adventure get out of jail free card.

Or if you have a bag of holding and an appropriate creature to hold it (such as your celestial familiar), it can be your ticket to other planes!

Vogonjeltz
2017-01-22, 10:56 PM
Or if you have a bag of holding and an appropriate creature to hold it (such as your celestial familiar), it can be your ticket to other planes!

Bag of Holding interacts with items that create extra dimensional spaces to rip a hole in space, but does nothing in regards to the Demiplane spell. (Plus you'd lose the bag!)

Saeviomage
2017-01-23, 06:27 PM
I meant
stuff yourself in a bag of holding
get some extraplanar being to hold it
have someone banish the extraplanar being
exit the bag

Not really anything to do with demiplanes.