PDA

View Full Version : A simple question

bugsysservant
2007-07-19, 10:24 PM
I know this is probably covered in the rules somewhere, but I couldn't find it, so...
What happens to equipment that merges into a character's form? Is it held in stasis, or does time pass? Could I hold a delayed blast fireball in my hand, polymorph into a gelatinous cube which can't hold the bead, allowing it to merge into my new form, spend the duration of the spell as a gelatinous cube, change back, and throw? Or would I spontaneously combust several rounds into the polymorph spell?
Also, do objects have weight? I would assume so, but the fact that they "meld" into the new form allows a possibility that they don't. What does it mean to "meld" anyway? If they objects have weight, is it distributed evenly? Or is it distributed by relative location? If a druid is hold a sword, wild shapes into a bear, and has the arm of the bear cut off, does the sword go with it? Is it an especially heavy appendage due to the melded equipment? Anyway, would appreciate an answer.

Corolinth
2007-07-19, 10:41 PM
The delayed blast fireball would explode on you.

As for your other questions, most campaigns don't focus on details like that. They're those, "We'll worry about it if it ever becomes important," sort of things.

Leicontis
2007-07-19, 11:51 PM
Rough handling can prematurely detonate a Delayed-Blast Fireball. I'd certainly classify polymorphing as "rough handling" in that context...

My understanding is that the equipment under those circumstances has no weight, and is probably in effective time-stasis. If the bear's arm is chopped off and the character returns to humanoid form, the longsword would probably pop out and fall to the ground.