PDA

View Full Version : Help: Halfling Fighter/Thief

asmartfellow
2017-01-21, 12:13 PM
Need help. Want to build a Halfling Fighter/Thief. Leaning more towards the Thief aspects, question is, how deep should I go in Fighter? Also, I'm assuming going w/ Dex based fighter would be best, so I can maintain light armor and theives abilities most of the time. Thinking Stout Halfling for the Con bump, but also the Lightfoot stealthy ability is pretty nice.

Currently building to lvl 10.

When the party gets into combat, I'd like him to be melee centered. Not certain if dual wield is best, or which weapon to go with? Halfling, so shying away from 2H stuff for RP purposes. Also, don't see him donning a shield.

Recommendations? How would YOU do this?

Stats I've rolled: 12,12,14,15,16,17

coredump
2017-01-21, 12:25 PM
What levels are you playing? Are you going to 10, or starting at 10.

There are good reasons to take fighter to 2,3,4,5, or 6th level.

asmartfellow
2017-01-21, 12:37 PM
Starting at 10.

I'm leaning towards at least 3 lvl's of Fighter as an Eldritch Knight. I'm thinking Dueling for fighting style and taking Mage Armor.

Paeleus
2017-01-21, 12:42 PM
Need help. Want to build a Halfling Fighter/Thief. Leaning more towards the Thief aspects, question is, how deep should I go in Fighter? Also, I'm assuming going w/ Dex based fighter would be best, so I can maintain light armor and theives abilities most of the time. Thinking Stout Halfling for the Con bump, but also the Lightfoot stealthy ability is pretty nice.

When the party gets into combat, I'd like him to be melee centered. Not certain if dual wield is best, or which weapon to go with? Halfling, so shying away from 2H stuff for RP purposes. Also, don't see him donning a shield.

Str:12
Dex: 16 + 2 for halfling
Con: 17 + 1 from Stout
Int : 12
Wis: 14
Cha: 15 +1 if going Lightfoot

I'd go Lightfoot for the option to Hide behind the Fighter/Barbarian/front liner who happens to be right beside you. Instead of Thief (which I love, Fast Hands is awesome, and Second Story Work has come in handy more than once for my halfling thief.) why not look at Swashbuckler from the SCAG since your Cha has the opportunity to be legit. That'll give you 2 bootleg feats in Mobile and Alert as 3rd level Archetype features.

Speaking of Mobile. If you do go thief, the extra movement and ability to ignore OpAttacks is sooo good.

I'd start Rogue, at level 5, MC into Fighter. Take it until you can get Battle Master, then finish out with rogue. Trip, Reposte, Pushing, Menacing, Disarming are 5 of my fav maneuvers. (Sweeping, which I normally hate, has synergy with Mobile) Also, stick with dual wielding. Sure it competes with your Cunning Action for Bonus Actions, but with the lack of a second attack being able to have another chance to land your sneak attack if you whiff the first one is a Gods send. Plus, being able to affect another enemy with a maneuver status effect is pretty handy.

Hope this helped!

Specter
2017-01-21, 12:43 PM
If you're going for Thief, you might as well expertise Athletics and Sleight of Hand.

I'd start EK5/Thief 5, so you get great goodies from both sides. As a final build, EK8/Thief 12 gets you 7 ASI's, with more than enough feats for stuff like Shield Master, Tough or even War Caster.

MrFahrenheit
2017-01-21, 12:55 PM
Are you locking in to EK? Consider battlemaster!

A battlemaster/thief combo is super potent against any enemy that uses items. In ONE ROUND, you can do the following (assuming all successful rolls):
1. Approach enemy (partial move action)
2. Bonus action sleight of hand enemy's backup weapon from its sheathe/holster/etc.
3. Attack action disarming maneuver to knock primary weapon down
4. Free action interact with object to kick downed primary weapon away
5. Finish partial move action to go on to next target. You've already used your bonus action so you can't disengage while doing it, but who cares if you get AoO'ed by the bad guy you just swiped from? Even if the hit lands, its 1+str. No biggie.

Three levels of battlemaster get the maneuvers (disarming is a must), but five gives you extra attack as insurance in case the first hit misses. 5/5 is a beautiful way to start this build.

ChubbyRain
2017-01-21, 01:47 PM

There is no reason to add fighter into the mix.

One of my friends loves to use the Strength Based Rogue (Stbr). You have the perfect stats for this!

I prefer the ghost halfling

Str: 16
Dex: 14 (12+2)
Con: 17
Int: 12
Wis: 16 (15 +1)
Cha: 12

At level 1 - 3 (which should fly by quickly if your DM is doing it right) you play like a thief run around throwing daggers with Str.

At level 4 you grab medium armor (medium armor + shield = 18 AC) and keep your dagger. Fluff it as something else but your dagger is the best weapon a rogue can have.

Now you play as a fighter/rogue.

You don't need an 18 in your attack stat till level 10 or so (unless your DM is mean).

With expertise in athletics and stealth (later gain it in two more skills) you don't need to improve your ability scores as you are ahead of the game.

At level 8 grab shield mastery... Athletics Expertise + Shield Mastery = advantage on attacks (plus other goodies).

Edit

If you want some magic, multiclass Knowldge Cleric to get that and some other goodies (which might gives you armor but I would need to double check... If it does, you can pick up a different feat like resilient Con).

MeeposFire
2017-01-21, 02:40 PM
I actually really like an EK8/rogue12.

War magic and booming blade is really nice together especially since it allows you to get that second attack with booming blade being used. This allows you to have additional chances at getting your sneak attack in just like two weapon fighting except you get booming blade goodness in there too.

Take defensive style and use a shield and your defenses will be top notch (you can go a step further if you want by eventually taking medium armor master to get plate level AC and stealth). If you really don't want to use a shield use the mariner style instead so you can have a swim and climb speed.

Overall your damage will be pretty close to a standard rogue but will be as reliable as a two weapon rogue. You do have an option to really improve your damage if the enemy moves as well.

If doing this I would say take your fighter levels first and then your rogue ones. The only issue is if you really like the higher level rogue stuff because you will have to wait for those.