PDA

View Full Version : DM Help 2 templates at once?

Alpha Saiyan
2017-01-21, 02:42 PM
i have a planned character and i was wonder if they could be 2 templates at once? for reference the templates are vampire and outsider.

Jarmen4u
2017-01-21, 02:51 PM
i have a planned character and i was wonder if they could be 2 templates at once? for reference the templates are vampire and outsider.

There's no rules against having more than one template on a character, so long as they don't conflict. But you'll have to give more detail. What edition are you using? Can you give us a bit of background? Based on your flair, are you the DM of this game? If so, you can put on as many templates as you'd like, since you're the DM.

Also, as far as I know, "Outsider" isn't an actual template, but a creature type. Can you be more specific as to what templates you're looking to use?

Alpha Saiyan
2017-01-21, 03:08 PM
I am indeed the DM, im playing my own bastardization of pathfinder with 3.5 exclusive elements mixed in, basically if it exists in pathfinder use that, if not go to D&D and use the conversion guide if need be. and as for the outsider thing i was going to post a link, but it wont let me so thats dandy

Remuko
2017-01-21, 03:10 PM
As long as the templates don't disallow another from being applied you can have as many as you like. The LA from each is added together though, so if you're a PC and your party is ECL 5 if multiple templates would place you above ECL 5 its unlikely the DM would allow you to do it. If you're the DM tho you can ignore the LA if you want.

Particle_Man
2017-01-21, 03:11 PM
Basically, apply each template one at a time, and see if the changes made by the first template leave the critter eligible for the second template. That said, I believe that "born with it" templates are meant to be applied before "so, this happened to me during my adventuring career" templates.

Alpha Saiyan
2017-01-21, 03:20 PM
the way ive planned it out, vamp will come first, followed by outsider around the end of her campaign as a possible end cap

Buufreak
2017-01-21, 03:27 PM
So the vampire isn't a problem as long as the base creature (the thing that you started with) qualifies. Then you need a legitimate way to convert from Undead to Outsider. Although as stated earlier, as a DM you can somewhat error on the side of fun instead of strict rules.

Inevitability
2017-01-21, 03:28 PM
Is the template really just called 'outsider', nothing more?

Where is it from?

Crake
2017-01-21, 03:42 PM
Basically, apply each template one at a time, and see if the changes made by the first template leave the critter eligible for the second template. That said, I believe that "born with it" templates are meant to be applied before "so, this happened to me during my adventuring career" templates.

Specifically, these are called inherited (born with it) and acquired (gained after birth) templates. You must apply inherited templates first, followed by acquired templates, though the order in which you apply all of your inherited/acquired templates doesn't matter, as long as the order doesn't result in on template no longer being appliccable.

Alpha Saiyan
2017-01-21, 03:48 PM
Is the template really just called 'outsider', nothing more?

Where is it from?

i cant post links

Coidzor
2017-01-21, 03:50 PM
Specifically, these are called inherited (born with it) and acquired (gained after birth) templates. You must apply inherited templates first, followed by acquired templates, though the order in which you apply all of your inherited/acquired templates doesn't matter, as long as the order doesn't result in on template no longer being appliccable.

And there are some weird ways available to get inherited templates as an existing creature, especially when one is the DM.

Alpha Saiyan
2017-01-21, 03:56 PM
this will be a pc and none of this is inherited, all acquired

Jarmen4u
2017-01-21, 03:58 PM
i cant post links

Okay, but can you not just tell us the name of it? What's the source? If it's online, does it also have a book source?

Alpha Saiyan
2017-01-21, 04:07 PM
d20 srd and probably but i dont know where

Inevitability
2017-01-21, 04:13 PM
d20 srd and probably but i dont know where

d20srd has the half-fiend (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfFiend.htm) template and the half-celestial (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfCelestial.htm) template: is either of those the one you'd like to have?

Coidzor
2017-01-21, 04:15 PM
Templates on d20srd.org that change type to outsider: Pseudonatural (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/pseudonaturalCreature.htm)(epic), Half-Celestial (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfCelestial.htm), and Half-Fiend (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfFiend.htm).

Those three are generally inherited templates from what I recall, though there are ways to get the latter pair. I suppose there's probably a way to become pseudonatural too, such as by visiting the Far Realm and getting wrecked.

Alpha Saiyan
2017-01-21, 04:24 PM
if everything goes to plane she'll be absorbing the power of...well... not really demons and not really devils, you see in my world, succubi and incubi are neither devil nor demon, kinda their own thing with the ideals of both and are allowed to side with baator or the abyss as they please or stay with theyre master or mistress in theyre home plane, she will be absorbing 2 very powerful specimens by the end if all goes according to plan. so kinda more than half fiend and by no means a half celestial

Jarmen4u
2017-01-21, 04:30 PM
if everything goes to plane she'll be absorbing the power of...well... not really demons and not really devils, you see in my world, succubi and incubi are neither devil nor demon, kinda their own thing with the ideals of both and are allowed to side with baator or the abyss as they please or stay with theyre master or mistress in theyre home plane, she will be absorbing 2 very powerful specimens by the end if all goes according to plan. so kinda more than half fiend and by no means a half celestial

Okay, but again. What is the NAME of the template? We can't help you with the specifics of the template if you don't tell us the name of the template.

Alpha Saiyan
2017-01-21, 04:38 PM
ok sorry i was mistaken, i would actually just be slapping the evil outsider type on her, it is not a template my bad

just look up d20 srd outsider

Inevitability
2017-01-21, 04:57 PM
ok sorry i was mistaken, i would actually just be slapping the evil outsider type on her, it is not a template my bad

just look up d20 srd outsider

Well, there isn't really precedent for undead becoming outsiders (or undead changing type at all), but it's not impossible. That said, this thing you're describing is pretty much homebrew, so we can't say much about its legality. If your DM allows it, go ahead and do it.

Alpha Saiyan
2017-01-21, 05:02 PM
being that i am the dm i'd say it should work out, it should be no different than acending to godhood, except she'll be a wicked spawn of evil

Inevitability
2017-01-21, 05:26 PM
being that i am the dm i'd say it should work out, it should be no different than acending to godhood, except she'll be a wicked spawn of evil

There; problem solved.

Particle_Man
2017-01-21, 07:36 PM
Well it worked for Vecna (albeit that one started as a lich, rather than a vampire, before godhood).

Malimar
2017-01-21, 07:52 PM
Well it worked for Vecna (albeit that one started as a lich, rather than a vampire, before godhood).

Vecna as statted in Deities and Demigods retains the Undead type.