PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Spell Selection for Palasorlock?

MisterSocrates
2017-01-21, 03:59 PM
I'm putting together a Dragonborn Paladin (Vengeance) 6/ Warlock (Fiend) 5/Sorcerer (Draconic) 9 and trying to find particularly good spell synergies. I've accepted that the race is sub-optimal and that the Draconic lineage is a bit redundant, but I'd still like to squeeze out whatever else I can from the concept.

The plan is to go GWM and Sentinel (skip Polearm Master due to feat constraints, and because there are so many other things competing for the Bonus Action -- GWM bonus attack, Quickened spells, BA spells, Spell Point conversion, etc).

So far I've realized that Fear means you can Fear an enemy then poke it with your AoO when it tries to leave. Its speed goes to zero from Sentinel, so it can't escape. It can't save either, because it's in LOS. Repeat endlessly until it dies (assuming you hit each attack). :smallbiggrin:

There's also Earth Tremor for AoE knockdown for Advantage. Any other good ones?

My list so far (the lowercase c indicates Concentration; I use the Copyright symbol but it didn't paste in due to encoding):

1st
* Warlock: (Burning Hands), (Charm Person), c Expeditious Retreat
* Sorcerer: Shield, Magic Missile, Earth Tremor EE (Chromatic Orb for Fire?)
---------
2nd
* Warlock: Blindness/Deafness, c Darkness, c Suggestion (Replaces Charm Person)
* Sorcerer: See Invisibility, Mirror Image
---------
3rd
* Warlock: Counterspell, Fireball (Replaces Burning Hands)
* Sorcerer: c Fear, c Fly
---------
4th
* Sorcerer: c Banishment, c Dimension Door/c Greater Invisibility
---------
5th
* Sorcerer: c Hold Monster

Note that Paladin already gets a lot of things like Misty Step, Hold Person, and Haste which would otherwise be top picks for the Sorcerer.

Gignere
2017-01-21, 04:37 PM
I'm putting together a Dragonborn Paladin (Vengeance) 6/ Warlock (Fiend) 5/Sorcerer (Draconic) 9 and trying to find particularly good spell synergies. I've accepted that the race is sub-optimal and that the Draconic lineage is a bit redundant, but I'd still like to squeeze out whatever else I can from the concept.

The plan is to go GWM and Sentinel (skip Polearm Master due to feat constraints, and because there are so many other things competing for the Bonus Action -- GWM bonus attack, Quickened spells, BA spells, Spell Point conversion, etc).

So far I've realized that Fear means you can Fear an enemy then poke it with your AoO when it tries to leave. Its speed goes to zero from Sentinel, so it can't escape. It can't save either, because it's in LOS. Repeat endlessly until it dies (assuming you hit each attack). :smallbiggrin:

There's also Earth Tremor for AoE knockdown for Advantage. Any other good ones?

My list so far (the lowercase c indicates Concentration; I use the Copyright symbol but it didn't paste in due to encoding):

1st
* Warlock: (Burning Hands), (Charm Person), c Expeditious Retreat
* Sorcerer: Shield, Magic Missile, Earth Tremor EE (Chromatic Orb for Fire?)
---------
2nd
* Warlock: Blindness/Deafness, c Darkness, c Suggestion (Replaces Charm Person)
* Sorcerer: See Invisibility, Mirror Image
---------
3rd
* Warlock: Counterspell, Fireball (Replaces Burning Hands)
* Sorcerer: c Fear, c Fly
---------
4th
* Sorcerer: c Banishment, c Dimension Door/c Greater Invisibility
---------
5th
* Sorcerer: c Hold Monster

Note that Paladin already gets a lot of things like Misty Step, Hold Person, and Haste which would otherwise be top picks for the Sorcerer.

Your paladin is too low level to have haste.

MisterSocrates
2017-01-21, 04:53 PM
Your paladin is too low level to have haste.

Ooh, good catch! I was messing with an earlier build that went to 12. More adjustments required then.