PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder I've got an idea in mind. What do you think represents an Artificer?

inuyasha
2017-01-21, 06:43 PM
I'm currently playing in a Patfhinder Ravenloft game in a domain of my own devising, Pangaea, a huge continent split into multiple domains (with a part of it still being called Pangaea, which is where the players are at)

I've talked about this campaign before in previous threads, but it boils down to part of the world that got sucked into Ravenloft because of blasphemous druids swallowing up civilization with nature, and brainwashing the inhabitants of the world to the point where it's almost a post-apocalyptic early bronze age.

Now that this current place, a huge forest with very spread out villages and overall little civilization, has been turned into a domain, I've determined the darklords curse. Nature is no longer under their control, with ferocious monsters such as lycanthropes increasing, civilization is going to be on the rise very quickly, and undead can arise very easily in true Ravenloft fashion. Another aspect of this curse however, is that the darklord lacks the ability to open and close the domain borders, and anyone can come in regardless.

Somewhere in my little homebrewed Ravenloft, along with all the others, I want to have a domain to represent Cyre from Eberron, because I'm a huge fan of that campaign setting and I think that Eberron should have some sort of representation in Ravenloft like all the other settings. Cyre is described as being like a Ravenloft domain anyway, with an overabundance of mist, eerie preserved bodies, and strange groups of both warforged and scavengers who are there. This of course leads to my issue, and the true purpose of this thread...

What class, of all of the official Pathfinder ones, do you think would best represent an Eberron-style Artificer? I've got a few ideas...

Use a Wizard with a bonded item, the enhancement subschool, and a lot of item creation feats, making Artificer more of a title than a true class
Use a Magus who takes a lot of buffing spells
Use an Arcanist with the White Mage archetype to represent being able to do a little bit of healing, almost like the versatile abilities of the Artificer

And yes, before you go any further, I know that there are several third party Artificer classes, and I have no qualms with using third party content in my games, but I think it would be much more of an interesting exercise to create something with the feel of an Artificer using first party Pathfinder materials.

So, with that, does anyone else have a cool idea for how to represent Artificers in a Pathfinder game?

Milo v3
2017-01-21, 07:57 PM
When it comes to first party artificers, Occultist works rather well. Especially if you craft all your implements yourself.

inuyasha
2017-01-21, 08:05 PM
Ooh, I hadn't even thought of that yet. I haven't really gotten into the occult stuff yet, because I'm not too fond of a few things I've seen out of it (just something about the kineticist bothers me... but I don't know what it is)

I'll be sure to give the occultist a look!

EDIT: I honestly don't know what my original problem with the occult stuff was, I'm giving the Occultist and a few other classes a look now, and they look really fun! I find it interesting how few spells an Occultist has, but that's not really a problem for me.