PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Multiclassing Help

JerryJ19
2017-01-21, 09:24 PM
Hi, so my long time DM recently started a Modern campaign in which we only have 3 players. The other two decided to pick up the Rogue and Druid classes, so I chose to fit myself in as a Fighter to be an off-tank Gunslinger (Matt Mercer's Homebrew Archetype). I'm currently looking for any good multiclasses that might fit in with my class ant stats. Stats are as follows: STR-14, DEX-18, CON-16, INT-16, WIS-16, CHA-14. (I got very lucky when rolling).

If possibly, multiclasses that play into his personality would be preferable, but I'm mainly looking for a second class to keep my team safe. He's an athlete, always attempting to do the thing that will get him noticed by colleges. He's not particularly fond of many people besides his childhood friend who he's extremely protective of, and wlill often put himself in harm's way to protect her from danger.

Thank you in advance!

djreynolds
2017-01-22, 02:23 AM
Hi, so my long time DM recently started a Modern campaign in which we only have 3 players. The other two decided to pick up the Rogue and Druid classes, so I chose to fit myself in as a Fighter to be an off-tank Gunslinger (Matt Mercer's Homebrew Archetype). I'm currently looking for any good multiclasses that might fit in with my class ant stats. Stats are as follows: STR-14, DEX-18, CON-16, INT-16, WIS-16, CHA-14. (I got very lucky when rolling).

If possibly, multiclasses that play into his personality would be preferable, but I'm mainly looking for a second class to keep my team safe. He's an athlete, always attempting to do the thing that will get him noticed by colleges. He's not particularly fond of many people besides his childhood friend who he's extremely protective of, and wlill often put himself in harm's way to protect her from danger.

Thank you in advance!

Well you can do anything, if this thing will go 20 levels, you must have your saves covered.

Try to get access to absorb elements, protection from evil/good, even paladin auras, and the shield spell

JerryJ19
2017-01-22, 07:56 AM
Well you can do anything, if this thing will go 20 levels, you must have your saves covered.

Try to get access to absorb elements, protection from evil/good, even paladin auras, and the shield spell

So, possibly a couple levels in Wizard could work? I'd sacrifice a bit of HP, but I plan to take Tough to increase my average anyway, so that would alleviate the low hit die from Wizard.

GorogIrongut
2017-01-22, 08:25 AM
Rogue will get you sneak attack damage that can be used with ranged weapons. It will also get you expertise one of which can be put into athletics. If you push it to 3rd level, you have a tough choice. Swashbuckler is flashy (i.e. the showoff that you mentioned) but almost entirely melee related. Arcane Trickster however would open you up to some magic. AT isn't as good at the magical defense as say and Eldritch Knight though... which you can never be because you're a gunslinger.

All totalled, I'd stop at level 2 if you went rogue.

Ranger is a good choice. It's got the loner thing down to a t. You get to act quicker than most. You get things that compliment your ranged attack style. You get with the UA release an improved Ranger with a lot more options. Even better, it is a half caster, so would get you better magic than if you went AT. If I were you I'd definitely go ranger to a minimum of 3 levels and not just because you get to choose which conclave you belong to. At 3rd level you'll get a conclave but you'll also get Primeval Awareness.

Now, for the show off side of you, the ultimate showoff is the Monk. I haven't really included it in here because all your attacks are primarily ranged... While monks are the ultimate melee combattants... unless you want to take a look at the Sun Soul Monk.

Anyhoo, all totalled, I would probably multi class 2 levels rogue and 4 levels ranger. You'd get 5 asi's from the gunslinger and 1 from the ranger. You'd get 2 full casting levels from the ranger (hunter or deep stalker). The rogue would make you crazy utilitarian with a bit of sneak attack damage. If you choose to take your rogue to 3, I'd use either the AT or preferably the newly released Rogue: Scout. Though personally I would still keep your rogue at level 2.

JerryJ19
2017-01-22, 02:41 PM
Rogue will get you sneak attack damage that can be used with ranged weapons. It will also get you expertise one of which can be put into athletics. If you push it to 3rd level, you have a tough choice. Swashbuckler is flashy (i.e. the showoff that you mentioned) but almost entirely melee related. Arcane Trickster however would open you up to some magic. AT isn't as good at the magical defense as say and Eldritch Knight though... which you can never be because you're a gunslinger.

All totalled, I'd stop at level 2 if you went rogue.

Ranger is a good choice. It's got the loner thing down to a t. You get to act quicker than most. You get things that compliment your ranged attack style. You get with the UA release an improved Ranger with a lot more options. Even better, it is a half caster, so would get you better magic than if you went AT. If I were you I'd definitely go ranger to a minimum of 3 levels and not just because you get to choose which conclave you belong to. At 3rd level you'll get a conclave but you'll also get Primeval Awareness.

Now, for the show off side of you, the ultimate showoff is the Monk. I haven't really included it in here because all your attacks are primarily ranged... While monks are the ultimate melee combattants... unless you want to take a look at the Sun Soul Monk.

Anyhoo, all totalled, I would probably multi class 2 levels rogue and 4 levels ranger. You'd get 5 asi's from the gunslinger and 1 from the ranger. You'd get 2 full casting levels from the ranger (hunter or deep stalker). The rogue would make you crazy utilitarian with a bit of sneak attack damage. If you choose to take your rogue to 3, I'd use either the AT or preferably the newly released Rogue: Scout. Though personally I would still keep your rogue at level 2.

Thank you for the suggestion! I think I'll be doing the Rogue 2/Ranger4 version of it. I'd go Rogue 3, but our rogue is a Swashbuckler and AT doesn't appeal to me too too much.

djreynolds
2017-01-23, 02:20 AM
Well with AT you can snag the shield spell at 3rd, and at 2nd get cunning action, and 2d6 SA, and 2 skills expertise and choose one 1st level spell of your choice.... the shield spell. +5AC for the rest of your turn.

Or thief has fast hands, could be cool with a gun... Doc Holiday

Can sneak with that gun... assassin