PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class New feat for spellcasters [PEACH]

Daruwind
2017-01-21, 10:23 PM
Hi, I would like to balance feat similar to Practiced Spellcaster which would grand +1 to existing spellcaster class level but not over character HD. Ideally this would help characters with multiclassing or with taking PrC.

Practiced Spellcaster
( Complete Arcane, p. 82)
[General]
Choose a spellcasting class that you possess. Your spells cast from that class are more powerful.
Prerequisite:
Spellcraft 4 ranks,
Benefit:
Your caster level for the chosen spellcasting class increases by 4. This benefit can't increase your caster level to higher than your Hit Dice. However, even if you can't benefit from the full bonus immediately, if you later gain Hit Dice in levels of nonspellcasting classes, you might be able to apply the rest of the bonus. For example, a human 5th-level sorcerer/3rd-level fighter who selects this feat would increase his sorcerer caster level from 5th to 8th (since he has 8 Hit Dice). If he later gained a fighter level, he would gain the remainder of the bonus and his sorcerer caster level would become 9th (since he now has 9 Hit Dice). A character with two or more spellcasting classes (such as a bard/sorcerer or a ranger/druid) must choose which class gains the feat's effect. This feat does not affect your spells per day or spells known. It increases your caster level only, which would help you penetrate spell resistance and increase the duration and other effects of your spells.
Special:
You may select this feat multiple times. Each time you choose it, you must apply it to a different spellcasting class. For instance, a 4th-level cleric/5th-level wizard who had selected this feat twice would cast cleric spells as an 8th-level caster and wizard spells as a 9th-level caster.

Experienced Spellcaster (good name is another problem :smallbiggrin:)
[General]
Choose a spellcasting class that you possess. Your spells cast from that class are more powerful and you have more of them.
Prerequisite:
Spellcasting level 4, (or something else?)
Benefit:
Your spellcasting level for the chosen spellcasting class increases by 1. This benefit can't increase your spellcasting level to higher than your Hit Dice. However, even if you can't benefit from the bonus immediately, if you later gain Hit Dice in level of nonspellcasting class, you might be able to apply the bonus. For example, a human 5th-level sorcerer/1rd-level fighter who selects this feat would increase his sorcerer caster level from 5th to 6th (since he has 6 Hit Dice). A character with two or more spellcasting classes (such as a bard/sorcerer or a ranger/druid) must choose which class gains the feat's effect. This feat does affect your spells per day or spells known. It increases your caster level, which would help you penetrate spell resistance and increase the duration and other effects of your spells.
Special:
You may select this feat multiple times. Each time you choose it, you must apply it to a different spellcasting class. For instance, a 4th-level cleric/5th-level wizard who had selected this feat twice would cast and prepare cleric spells as an 5th-level caster and wizard spells as a 6th-level caster.

(I´m playing currently Cleric level 5 in Eberron campaign who will soon become Sovereing Speaker and would like to keep magic progression with our druid and wizard. We are not abusing rules too much. I.e. I have already access to divine metamagic - quicken spells but not using nighstick and using only turn undead to power it. Still i can already quicken 2-3 spells per day. I´m also group´s main healer and lot of resources/spells is used on my allies barbar and rogue and also keeping casters out of danger as DM is often attacking vulnerable members of group... My DM is okay as long as i won´t increase spellcaster class beyond HD and as long it is balanced +/- and keep healing the band :P and ask wiseer people what they think about it :smallbiggrin:)

Shimeran
2017-01-23, 08:01 PM
It seems fine to me overall. The biggest possible imbalance that springs out is it potentially lets a full caster do a 1 level dip in another class for the cost of a feat. Given how poorly a lot of those 1st level features tend to scale on their own, I don't imagine that will be a huge exploit, though if any counter examples comes to mind I'd be interested in hearing them. Requirement wise, maybe tie it to "Able to cast 2nd level spells" instead of caster level as that can be artificially boosted. As far as names go, maybe something like "Dedicated Spellcaster"?

Daruwind
2017-01-24, 01:56 AM
Exactly, for cost of Toughness a player can gain level in barbarian and use the feat to keep up magic. So almost all problems are around 1 level dip or about low level characters...like having cleric level 1
/ wizard level 1 ..with this feat player could get 2 levels of spellcasting.

So my solution would be to increase prerequisity to be level 6 spellcasting in one class and allowing this feat to be taken only once for every spellcasting class. At this time one level dip is not such problem. Or may be just having 6 level in spellcasting together as level 3 wizard / level 3 cleric would with this feat become 4/4 (max level 2 spells) while it could be level 7 character (level 4 spells)

I´m clearly staying away from caster level as that could be "easily" boosted.