PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Is this a realistic non-CE medium int, medium wis, low charisma orc?

Zhentarim
2017-01-22, 12:42 AM
Stats
22 str
12 dex
14 con
11 int
10 wis
5 cha

Intended build:
Lvl 1 Fighter
Lvl 2 Alchemist (Vivisectionist)
Lvl 3-20 Fighter

Backstory (Version 1, NG):

I, Barkenzar Barkolovar, have heard the song of Sarenrae. My brothers fight and though I am too timid to speak in public and my words come out wrong sometimes, I wish to earn my freedom so I can show other orcs through good deeds that you do not need to be a brute to be strong, as there are other uses for strength. You see, dear reader, I was born as a 5th generation slave. My great great grandparents were savage barbarians who stalked what is now the Hold of Belkzen. My parents told me about them when we were working the fields one day. They were captured by slavers and bred for their strength, as great strength is required to pull in the big crop yields. My masters serve Sarenrae, and it wasn't until my parents started to take the faith seriously that my line was redeemed. I was born and trained in the ways of Sarenrae to the best of my parents' ability, and while I am no cleric, I understand the faith well enough to accept my goddesses simple core tenets of being meek, defending the weak, and always offering forgiveness if it is sought. My spoken words betray me, but if I can complete a simple mission showing I am a good orc, I can go free and perhaps try to help other orcs see the light, even if only through my actions.

Backstory (Version 2, LN):

I, Barkenzar Barkolovar, have processes the unquestionable logic of Abadar. My brothers fight amongst themselves like fools and though I am too poor at reading others' emotions to speak well in public and my words come out wrong sometimes, I wish to earn my freedom so I can show other orcs through lawful deeds that you do not need to be a brute to be strong, as there are other uses for strength. You see, reader, I was born as a 5th generation slave. My great great grandparents were savage barbarians who stalked what is now the Hold of Belkzen. My parents told me about them when we were working the fields one day. They were captured by slavers and bred for their strength, as great strength is required to pull in the big crop yields. This is just, as it helps the city grow. My masters serve Abadar, and it wasn't until my parents started to take the faith seriously that my line was redeemed. I was born and trained in the ways of Abadar to the best of my parents' ability, and while I am not a cleric, I understand the faith well enough to accept my god's simple core tenets of being lawful, punishing lawbreakers, and always seeking to expand civilization. It is only logical since if all can be made to follow the law of the land, all can be strong, all can be civilized, all can be wealthy, and all can be predicted. My spoken words betray me, but if I can complete a simple mission showing I am a lawful orc, I can go free and perhaps try to help other orcs see the light, even if only through my actions.

Zhentarim
2017-01-22, 09:24 AM
I'm going to need to work on this more, huh?

Geddy2112
2017-01-22, 11:23 AM
Yeah, I mean, being an orc is not a death sentence to be CE. An orc can choose to be any alignment.

Some things to keep in mind is that for the most part, class, race, and ability scores have absolutely nothing to do alignment. There are notable exceptions to class; clerics, barbarians, monks, paladins, warpriests, hunters, druids. Even here, you have to maintain an alignment to be these classes, but you can shift out and lose powers or be banned from taking more levels in the case of monk. A CE person can profess to be a cleric of an LG deity, but no LG deity is going to give them powers.

With race, unless you have the [alignment] subtype, you can be any alignment. Certain races might be prone to an alignment, but they are not bound to it. [alignment] subtype creatures are made of an objective alignment, and must be that. Certainly most orcs are seen as evil monsters, so there is a stigma, and being different is going to make you stand out, but all orcs can choose to be any alignment they please.

For ability scores, the only one that can influence alignment is intelligence, in that things with 2 or less intelligence are creatures that are unable to understand or make ethical/moral choices. A tiger simply cannot understand evil, despite being a solitary predator that stalks and kills things. A hornet is part of an ordered hive, but is unable to understand law.

Zhentarim
2017-01-22, 11:54 AM
Strength through service

Zhentarim
2017-01-22, 12:58 PM
I, Barkenzar Barkolovar, have processes the unquestionable logic of Abadar. My brothers fight amongst themselves like savage fools and though I am too poor at reading others' emotions to speak well in public and my words come out wrong sometimes, I wish to earn my freedom so I can show other orcs through lawful deeds that you do not need to be a brute to be strong, as there are other uses for strength, such as serving the state, whiches enriches the worthy and is going to earn me my freedom. You see, reader, I was born as a 5th generation slave. My great great grandparents were savage barbarians who stalked what is now the Hold of Belkzen. My parents told me about them when we were working the fields one day. They were captured by slavers and bred for their strength, as great strength is required to pull in the big crop yields. This is just, as it helps the city grow. Most of my masters that I have served have themselves served Abadar, and it wasn't until my parents started to take the faith seriously a few years ago that my line was redeemed. I was born and trained in the ways of Abadar to the best of my parents' ability, and while I am not a cleric, I understand the faith well enough to accept my god's simple core tenets of being lawful, punishing lawbreakers, serving your station in society, and always seeking to expand civilization. It is only logical since if all can be made to follow the law of the land, all can be strong, all can be civilized, all can be wealthy, and all can be predicted. My spoken words betray me, but if I can complete a simple mission showing I am a lawful orc, I can go free and perhaps try to help other orcs see the light of law, even if only through my actions. Abadars words have proven themselves to me since while I have rarely been struck due to my respect for authority, those who have disobeyed have been beaten harshly--weakened by the powerful magics my masters could often afford to train their gaurds in. That is also likely why my prayers to Abadar have finally been answered. I was just sold to the government of Katapesh so I can be used to clear gnolls from the a ruined village called Kelmarane. If I can use my strength and the armor to complete this lawful act, I will have finally earned my freedom!

http://pathfinderwiki.com/mediawiki/images/2/2c/Orc_warlord.jpg

Remuko
2017-01-22, 01:08 PM
Being a fighter with 10 Con is going to prove rough.