PDA

View Full Version : Adentures on the Plane of Fire help.

Mr.Sandman
2017-01-22, 11:45 AM
Having purchesed the Travelers Guide to the Elemental Plane of Fire by Necromancers of the Northwest, my players are now interested in running a campaign there. I have a vague idea of Ragnarok approaching on the Material Plane, causing the Fire Giants to begin recruiting, but I am wondering what major effects this would have on the POF itself or why the PC's and other denizens of the plane would care, especially with the two usually evil races. Anybody have any good ideas for a long term-ish campaign on the Plane of Fire, or any way I could flesh out this idea?

Dr paradox
2017-01-22, 10:55 PM
My impulse would be to have a chunk of the prime material plane get transplanted to the plane of fire - possibly a corner of a big city and some amount of countryside. The campaign can revolve around fortifying and establishing this new human population in a hostile country, as well as finding a way home.

Adventures could include salamander invasions, diplomatic missions to the city of brass, treasure hunts to find artifacts to help with survival, dealing with individuals in the city who start to develop fire-based powers and partially change into outsiders. I suggest making it a chunk out of a city rather than a village or entire city because it provides more interesting wrinkles - how do you structure a society out of this cross section of citizens? How can you fortify this place when only one side of the place actually has a wall? Who would assume leadership?

You could either tie this into your Ragnarok idea, where this is a side effect and the campaign needs to stay dealing with Surtur and co., or you could just have a wizard in town be responsible.

Maglubiyet
2017-01-23, 12:29 AM
Having purchesed the Travelers Guide to the Elemental Plane of Fire by Necromancers of the Northwest, my players are now interested in running a campaign there. I have a vague idea of Ragnarok approaching on the Material Plane, causing the Fire Giants to begin recruiting, but I am wondering what major effects this would have on the POF itself or why the PC's and other denizens of the plane would care, especially with the two usually evil races. Anybody have any good ideas for a long term-ish campaign on the Plane of Fire, or any way I could flesh out this idea?

Anything that destabilizes the existing power structure will be of interest to the denizens of the plane. You could play a campaign like this as PC's from the races trying to stop the growing power of the fire giants.

The legendary Surtr has returned from across the Sea of Lava and set up a military encampment on its shores. Fire giant slaves in the City of Brass have been slipping their bonds to join the growing army in the wilds. They are drawn by the prophecy of a race made strong again. Spies and provocateurs operate in secret within the city, spreading the word and aiding the escapees. Often they steal treasure, weapons, or magic items from their masters when they flee.

Azer traders have noted an increase in bandit activities along caravan routes through the Ashen Wastes. Herds of elemental creatures are being driven from their normal range. The raiders are actually Surtr's forces, who have begun ranging far and wide to pillage supplies for the coming campaign.

Salamander blacksmiths are being pressed into service to supply weapons and armor. Ancient workshops are being plundered.

When the final horn sounds, the army will begin its march to the volcanic region to retake the Citadel of the White Flame, where the permanent Gate to the Norse realm lies. Legend has it that when the citadel falls, the empires of the Plane of Fire will too.

GungHo
2017-01-23, 10:42 AM
The bard could always do James Brown's Celebrity Hot Tub Party.

Mr.Sandman
2017-01-23, 09:26 PM
Anything that destabilizes the existing power structure will be of interest to the denizens of the plane. You could play a campaign like this as PC's from the races trying to stop the growing power of the fire giants.

The legendary Surtr has returned from across the Sea of Lava and set up a military encampment on its shores. Fire giant slaves in the City of Brass have been slipping their bonds to join the growing army in the wilds. They are drawn by the prophecy of a race made strong again. Spies and provocateurs operate in secret within the city, spreading the word and aiding the escapees. Often they steal treasure, weapons, or magic items from their masters when they flee.

Azer traders have noted an increase in bandit activities along caravan routes through the Ashen Wastes. Herds of elemental creatures are being driven from their normal range. The raiders are actually Surtr's forces, who have begun ranging far and wide to pillage supplies for the coming campaign.

Salamander blacksmiths are being pressed into service to supply weapons and armor. Ancient workshops are being plundered.

When the final horn sounds, the army will begin its march to the volcanic region to retake the Citadel of the White Flame, where the permanent Gate to the Norse realm lies. Legend has it that when the citadel falls, the empires of the Plane of Fire will too.

This works amazingly, thank you good sir. Besides fire giants, what might be some creatures allied with Surtr's forces?

Maglubiyet
2017-01-23, 11:41 PM
This works amazingly, thank you good sir. Besides fire giants, what might be some creatures allied with Surtr's forces?

They'll need wranglers to capture the packs of feral hell hounds that roam free on the coal fields. These they will train to be war dogs. Maybe have a nomadic species of fire elemental outriders. If you're playing 3.5 you could apply the fire elemental template to centaurs or something similar. These will use trained smoke mephits as hunting falcons.

They'll have fire trolls that act as domestic servants and slave drivers for the captured azer and salamander work gangs. These will do the menial chores that are beneath the fire giants - work the fields, mine, repair and mend, build fortifications, etc.

The giants will make bargains with the pirates of the Lava Sea to act as a navy to protect their coast. Efreet and salamander freebooters will patrol in giant ships made of basalt and obsidian. Roving gangs of magma mephits and magmin will be pressed into service to guard the shorelines and beaches of burning cinders.

Due to Surtr's nature, they'll probably have a few devils/Baatezu as advisors and trainers. Abishai, barbazu, maybe an erinyes spy/scout or two.

LibraryOgre
2017-01-24, 01:08 PM
The giants will make bargains with the pirates of the Lava Sea to act as a navy to protect their coast. Efreet and salamander freebooters will patrol in giant ships made of basalt and obsidian. Roving gangs of magma mephits and magmin will be pressed into service to guard the shorelines and beaches of burning cinders.

I could see the efreet NOT being on the side of the fire giants, actually. While both are LE, I don't see the efreet taking the rise in status of the Fire Giants lightly.

Maglubiyet
2017-01-24, 03:35 PM
I could see the efreet NOT being on the side of the fire giants, actually. While both are LE, I don't see the efreet taking the rise in status of the Fire Giants lightly.

The efreet pashas and caliphs are certainly not going to be pro-fire giant. The City of Brass is going to be extremely unhappy with the uprising.

I'm thinking of the renegade elements, the pirate princes and mercenary companies, who will work for anyone if the price is right. Many of them will also be efreet because of the genies' inherent power.

This will set up interesting dynamics when loyalties are challenged between races and principles. It will also offer PC's the opportunity to infiltrate mixed-race crews.

Unless you just want a game of kill-the-racial-enemy, you've gotta have turncoats and quislings. There's not as much opportunity for intrigue if it's a war of one race vs another.