PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Has there been a ruling on evangelist advancing prestige classes beyond their cap?

Gusmo
2017-01-22, 02:31 PM
Let's say you go base class5/prc5/evangelist10. Has there been a ruling on whether you can get those last 'virtual levels' of a prestige class? Obviously there would be no new features, just continuations of any features that are level dependent. What if instead you went base class5/prc1/evengelist10, then continue taking levels in your initial prc after finishing evangelist? Assuming equipment trick still works, you can use wizard2/cleric1/mystic theurge7/evangelist10 as the example to play around with if desired. Also, has it been ruled how an evangelist interacts with a 5 level prc? The MT trick has been well known for a long time, so I imagine this must have been discussed before, but my search-fu is failing me.

Kurald Galain
2017-01-22, 05:06 PM
The way MT is worded, it gains the feature "+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class" ten times, at levels one through ten. Since it doesn't gain this feature at a hypothetical eleventh level, this combo doesn't work.

The consensus on early entry via Equipment Trick is that no sane GM would allow this.

LordOfCain
2017-01-22, 05:21 PM
When a new mystic theurge level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in any one arcane spellcasting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class and any one divine spellcasting class he belonged to previously.
According to my reading, it would work... And it shouldn't be that overpowered anyway.

Coidzor
2017-01-22, 05:29 PM
According to my reading, it would work... And it shouldn't be that overpowered anyway.

Well, the concern is more of a knee-jerk indignation that someone would try to creatively apply the rules rather than an actual concern about something being overpowered or badly balanced.

Quertus
2017-01-22, 05:36 PM
Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Mystic Theurge have an epic progression, stating exactly what you get at levels 11+ of the prestige class? If so, why is this even a question in this particular case?

In the general case, are there any rules which are more applicable than those of the Epic Level Handbook for what features a prestige class grants beyond its statted end?

the_david
2017-01-22, 05:41 PM
Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Mystic Theurge have an epic progression, stating exactly what you get at levels 11+ of the prestige class? If so, why is this even a question in this particular case?

You're wrong. Pathfinder doesn't have epic stuff. Pathfinder does have rules for mythic characters.

Zanos
2017-01-22, 05:43 PM
Well, the concern is more of a knee-jerk indignation that someone would try to creatively apply the rules rather than an actual concern about something being overpowered or badly balanced.
Text trumps table, so "Whenever a new mystic theruge level is gained" takes precedence over the table indicating what levels you gain abilities.

Coidzor
2017-01-22, 05:47 PM
Text trumps table, so "Whenever a new mystic theruge level is gained" takes precedence over the table indicating what levels you gain abilities.

It actually being the rules hasn't stopped people and devs from squawking in the past.

Zanos
2017-01-22, 05:54 PM
It actually being the rules hasn't stopped people and devs from squawking in the past.
I'm actually not sure if text trumps table is a rule in Pathfinder, but if it is, Pathfinder is a maintained system, so they can just change if if they don't like it.

Evangelist was a poor idea to begin with honestly.

Gusmo
2017-01-22, 06:38 PM
Huh, so no FAQ or dev comment on it, then? Ah well, it's the sort of the thing where it needs DM review anyway, so ultimately it probably doesn't matter whether it's RAW legal or not.