PDA

View Full Version : Thinking Of playing a Blackguard of pelor

Nosta
2017-01-22, 02:48 PM
Any ideas if this could be Fun.

Inevitability
2017-01-22, 03:00 PM
I suggest reading this. (https://web.archive.org/web/20150929063558/http://community.wizards.com/comment/13724166)

DreganHiregard
2017-01-23, 02:17 AM
If you play Pathfinder I have just the thing, It's a Antipaladin archtype all about corrupting and turning Paladins to become more angry, darker, and corrupt but still completely pass as a servant of their god, even to the point of still using that gods magic, albeit by stealing it from their fellow paladins. It's actually from the Pathfinder book I wrote but the archtype is availible entirely on my website:

http://www.duckandrollgames.com/tavern/2015/6/9/flavour-handbook-excerpt-bad-apple

If you don't have pathfinder then I'd say just be a Paladin but be a very bad person. The blackguard, and the regular Antipaladin from pathfinder are terribly Implimented ideas and basically unplayable in any campaign.

Pleh
2017-01-23, 06:39 AM
Any explanation for "evil pelor" granting the Good domain?

Inevitability
2017-01-23, 11:33 AM
Any explanation for "evil pelor" granting the Good domain?

Interestingly enough, nothing prevents an evil deity from having the Good domain. The only rule related to alignments and alignment domains is one preventing nongood clerics from picking the Good domain, but that hardly applies here.

Sure, there may not be clear examples, but it's not like the lack of Evil deities with the Sun domain means none can ever have it.

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-01-23, 01:20 PM
Interestingly enough, nothing prevents an evil deity from having the Good domain. The only rule related to alignments and alignment domains is one preventing nongood clerics from picking the Good domain, but that hardly applies here.

Sure, there may not be clear examples, but it's not like the lack of Evil deities with the Sun domain means none can ever have it.

Out of interest, are there any deities that don't give the standard alignment domains? I.e. ones that give the domain of an alignment they don't have, or ones that don't give the domain of an alignment they do have.

Particle_Man
2017-01-23, 01:41 PM
Does your Blackguard still worship and draw power from Pelor (so Pelor is not NG in your world)?

Does your Blackguard mistakenly think that they still worship Pelor but are actually getting powers from some evil source? (A fallen Paladin doing the "hard man making hard decisions", or maybe Mordru in Dr. Strange?).

Does your Blackguard no longer worship Pelor, but still wears the holy symbol ironically?

Pleh
2017-01-23, 07:01 PM

I thought about that. Part of the thread that laid out the case for "evil pelor" made the argument that we see an illustration of Jorzan using an evil spell.

This is used to argue that good clerics can't use evil spells and good clerics can't worship evil deities.

So why does pelor provide a domain that none of his clerics can use? Aren't the spells on the good domain universally good aligned? And the granted power is pointless, since having +1 caster level to a set of spells you can't cast is pretty useless.

Jack_McSnatch
2017-01-23, 09:54 PM
It might also be worth noting that there's a splinter sect of Pelor worshippers who hunt and kill arcane spellcasters, regardless of how they use it. And there's a weapon of legacy called the Hammer of Witches which is all kinds of Pelory. Maybe the character is part of this group... Convince the dm to give you the hammer without the negatives.

Particle_Man
2017-01-24, 01:02 AM
There was an episode of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys that featured an alternate universe where the good gods were evil and vice versa. Perhaps your Blackguard comes from such a parallel universe and somehow got transported here?