PDA

View Full Version : Optimal use of a Ring of Spell Storing

rooneg
2017-01-22, 09:53 PM
My Deep Gnome Eldritch Knight has the opportunity to pick up a Ring of Spell Storing, which would fill up his last attunement slot (the others are spoken for by a Belt of Hill Giant Strength and eventually a Headband of Intellect). What would you stick in the ring for that sort of character? Note that this is an Adventurer's League character that's played at cons, so I don't reliably have access to other casters to fill it up.

My current thoughts are to stick an extra Blur (from Svirfneblin Magic, I usually only get to cast it once per day, this would double that) and then fill the remaining three slots with some combination of Shield and Absorb Elements, since most of his casting is likely to be those spells. Around level 12 or 13 (depending on my exact multiclassing strategy) I could also start sticking some cool 3rd level thing in there, maybe Haste or Fly? That's a ways off though.

Are there any other obviously cool things I should consider putting in it? Will I regret this later on? I wouldn't be able to trade it later, since it's a DM Quest reward.

Dalebert
2017-01-22, 09:58 PM
I just got one of these on my sorcerer. It seems like the best bang for the buck is to store things you couldn't otherwise cast yourself. Mine's AL too and you're right that you don't reliably have access to another caster regularly but the silver lining to that is variety. You'll play with different people a lot so you can seek the most interesting and useful spells to store for that game or the next. Always fill it with spells you want from fellow PCs at the end of the adventure. When you don't have access to that, you can fall back on filling it with extras of your own spells.

rooneg
2017-01-22, 10:00 PM
I just got one of these on my sorcerer. It seems like the best bang for the buck is to store things you couldn't otherwise cast yourself. Mine's AL too and you're right that you don't reliably have access to another caster regularly but the silver lining to that is variety. You'll play with different people a lot so you can seek the most interesting and useful spells to store for that game or the next. Always fill it with spells you want from fellow PCs at the end of the adventure. When you don't have access to that, you can fall back on filling it with extras of your own spells.

That's a fair point. I suppose the optimal move in all of these cases will be to cast any of your own stuff out of the ring ASAP, since you can always fill it back up right before a long rest, and it clears space to grab something fun from other players.

Foxhound438
2017-01-22, 10:23 PM
I find that spell storing is best used to give "valuable dip spells" to characters that would normally need to multiclass to get them. Monk and hex comes to mind, have the party warlock cast the spell into it, then the monk can cast them from it later on.

In your specific case, just whatever you find yourself saying "man, if I could just get an extra cast of this spell on a hard day things would be so much better. For an eldritch knight, shield and absorb elements come to mind. I also recommend that if you have a cleric, throw in revivify, so you can bring him back in a pinch.

Dalebert
2017-01-23, 08:17 AM
I also recommend that if you have a cleric, throw in revivify, so you can bring him back in a pinch.

I thought the same thing for a bit but the problem with that is it's so rarely used. You would have three of your five levels just sitting and preventing you from getting use from the ring for many games in a row. If you do have people dying a lot, then yeah, but also think about why people are dying a lot because that's a separate issue that needs resolving. :)

Joe the Rat
2017-01-23, 09:13 AM
I thought the same thing for a bit but the problem with that is it's so rarely used. You would have three of your five levels just sitting and preventing you from getting use from the ring for many games in a row. If you do have people dying a lot, then yeah, but also think about why people are dying a lot because that's a separate issue that needs resolving. :)

Indeed - Cure wounds, or perhaps healing word in a 1st level would be enough to get them up enough for some "Theologian, Heal Thyself" business.

Keep in mind that no matter who does it, anything you want for tomorrow can't be cast today*. Loading Blur means you trade one use today for two uses tomorrow; it would be a reasonable pre-load to sessions. If you are self-loading, you have the right idea about using the ring for the things you know you will cast, and use those castings first. That opens space for others to load later, and you can be more flexible with your own actual slots. Not sure where you are level-wise, but you will need to burn a day's (plus!) worth of slots to fill it. blur, 2 shields, absorb elements until you're past 7th, then you can use your 2nds, or upcast AE.

Any time you can access something you don't normally have, but will likely use, take it. Maybe use 1 or 2 levels for an "in a pinch" spell (like the above healing). You sound like a meleer: self-enhancements and close effects are your main wish list, followed by disablers, followed by movement. Enlarge/Reduce, X Smite, X Strike, Mirror Image, Command, Hold Person, Longstrider, Misty Step, Fly... that sort of thing. Pointing out that putting a buff in the ring means they won't have to concentrate on it is a selling point.

* There is an exception to this limitation: A Warlock buddy can lead to fun shenanigans. If the group can short rest, and the 'Lock has a slot left, have them charge you up with something. You're AL, so Hex is always available. That'll compete with blur for your concentration, but (ballparking your level) you can probably score the 8-hour Hex. For melee, a full blast Armor of Agathys can be fun if you aren't expecting Frost Giants or Oozes (and is a nice alternative to blur). You might be able to score a mirror image if they're multiclassed. The only catch there is they have 0 nuance on that power - they'll fill 3-4-5 spell levels no matter what.

Specter
2017-01-23, 09:30 AM
From other classes? Greater Invisibility, Bless, Mass Cure Wounds, Spirit Guardians, Fireball, these all work.

From your spells? 5 Shields, of course!

NecroDancer
2017-01-23, 10:08 AM
This is a stupid question but if a warlock puts a spell into the ring and short rests does the warlock get their spell slot back and keep the spell in the ring?

DragonSorcererX
2017-01-23, 10:16 AM
I was going to say Contingency + Raise Dead for auto-ressurrection, but Contingency is 6th level... :smallannoyed:

tsotate
2017-01-23, 11:09 AM
Keep in mind that no matter who does it, anything you want for tomorrow can't be cast today*.

* There is an exception to this limitation: A Warlock buddy can lead to fun shenanigans.

Other fun exception to the rule: Shadow Monks. Pop a couple of Pass Without Trace spells in there, and short rest to get the ki back.

Douche
2017-01-23, 11:21 AM
I recently got one of these on my 11th level Cleric. Kind of counter productive since I have so many concentration spells already (though not as many as a bard lol) but I figure in times of need I could let someone else utilize the ring. Just gives a lot of flexibility. Or I could store up some extra heals for the next day's adventure.

So far though, I've mostly been stealing 5th level spells from the party wizard

RulesJD
2017-01-23, 11:36 AM
Generally speaking, the best spells to put into a Ring of Spell Storing are what I call "seatbelt" spells. Those are spells you don't need to use that often, but when you do need them, you REALLY need them. Examples:

Absorb Elements, Dispel Magic, Lesser/Great Restoration/Feather Fall/Fly

The reason being is that for classes that must prepare spells, it essentially lets you prepare more spells per day because spells you know you need but won't use that often aren't eating up a preparation slot.

For you, as an EK, that's less important. For you it's essentially just an extra X spell slots per day. As such, either get other classes to load in useful spells (Haste, Counterspell, Bless, Hex, etc) or just throw in the spells you're thinking of (Blur, Absorb Elements, etc).

Foxhound438
2017-01-23, 12:27 PM
Indeed - Cure wounds, or perhaps healing word in a 1st level would be enough to get them up enough for some "Theologian, Heal Thyself" business.

I would say better safe than sorry, and you never know when you're going to have the cleric hit by a brutal multiattack that knocks them out and forces three fails all in one turn.

Dalebert
2017-01-23, 01:21 PM
Find Familiar, Find Steed.

rooneg
2017-01-23, 02:20 PM
This is a stupid question but if a warlock puts a spell into the ring and short rests does the warlock get their spell slot back and keep the spell in the ring?

Yeah, the spell still stays in the ring and the warlock gets their slot back after a rest. Loading the ring requires you to cast a spell, it has no further impact on the character who loaded it.

The really awkward bit with Warlocks is they can't control the level of spell slot they use. Eventually they hit the point where anything they're going to put in will actually take all 5 of the slots in the ring. Getting hex from a level 1 or 2 Warlock is great. Getting one from a level 9 Warlock is less helpful...

Find Familiar, Find Steed.

Yeah, those are interesting ideas, although in my case I can actually already cast Find Familiar (my EK has already dipped one level of Wizard so he could learn Absorb Elements, otherwise it would be outside my PHB+1). Find Steed would be amusing, especially if I ever pick up one of the more interesting certs that gives you a fun steed.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback everyone. It sounds like my baseline idea ("just put stuff I can cast that I know I'll want all the time and use it up ASAP") is a fine idea, and I can proactively look for other stuff from allies. I particularly like the idea of a single Healing Word or something like that, for emergencies.

sir_argo
2017-01-23, 07:52 PM
My wizard fills his with insurance spells. Spells like Feather Fall, Misty Step, Expeditious Retreat, etc. I rarely cast those spells. Our party is up to 13th level and I think I've cast those spells about once each. Keeping them prepared would use up 3 slots, but they are critical spells in bad situations. By using the ring, I have them available for use, but I'm able to prepare three other spells instead.

Dalebert
2017-01-24, 12:13 AM
I just thought of another use of the ring. Put any spells in it that you want to cast discreetly like Detect Thoughts or Phantasmal Force. Items that allow you cast spells do so with no components unless they say otherwise. Spells cast from magic items are the non-sorc way to get Subtle Spell. Handy to have when you're around a counter-speller.

rooneg
2017-01-24, 11:19 AM
I just thought of another use of the ring. Put any spells in it that you want to cast discreetly like Detect Thoughts or Phantasmal Force. Items that allow you cast spells do so with no components unless they say otherwise. Spells cast from magic items are the non-sorc way to get Subtle Spell. Handy to have when you're around a counter-speller.

Yeah, it also lets you avoid material components, which can be relevant for a sword and board melee fighter even with War Caster.

Asmotherion
2017-01-24, 11:42 AM
In my experiance, it's optimally used to store spells that are not accesible to you. Ask your Wizard to cast something you'll find useful, such as a Fire Shield for example in it for you, or a Warlock's Armor of Agathys.

JAL_1138
2017-01-24, 06:26 PM
My Valor Bard mostly endsup using it to store Healing Word :\ Since it's League, I run into a lot of different spellcasters, but it's something of an issue to get spells cast into it since long rests are somewhat rare with a lot of the DMs around here, and DMs can be a bit skeptical that you totally got that Wizard to put in three slots of Shield and that Cleric to put in two slots of Bless at the end of the previous session you played.

Yagyujubei
2017-01-24, 06:48 PM
i had one as a melee in a game and i always kept one casting of haste and 2(or 3 i cant remember) castings of shield. never get hit again.

Dalebert
2017-01-24, 11:02 PM
DMs can be a bit skeptical that you totally got that Wizard to put in three slots of Shield and that Cleric to put in two slots of Bless at the end of the previous session you played.

Really? How is that at all a stretch? Once the adventure is over, you are free to do whatever you want with any leftover spell slots. Folks don't seem to be that strict and distrustful out here in NH AL play.

JAL_1138
2017-01-25, 01:22 AM
Really? How is that at all a stretch? Once the adventure is over, you are free to do whatever you want with any leftover spell slots. Folks don't seem to be that strict and distrustful out here in NH AL play.

I think the concern is with players cherry-picking good spells without ever actually getting anyone to cast them, or even adventuring with someone who could. League does allow you to carry the spells over, according to the admins, but with no documentation and inconsistent groups, it's pretty much the honor system. I can see the argument, TBH, so it's not anything I find too problematic. And hey, five free Healing Words is pretty decent. Saves me the slots to use for other things.

Dalebert
2017-01-25, 07:34 AM
...but with no documentation and inconsistent groups, it's pretty much the honor system.

But that's everything in AL. You log it yourself. That's true for every magic item drop, and consumables like potions and scrolls. I don't think I've ever drunk a potion and had the DM say "Wait. Where did you get that potion."

Then I check my log and tell him. "But you could have just written that there. How do I know?"

rooneg
2017-01-25, 09:16 AM
But that's everything in AL. You log it yourself. That's true for every magic item drop, and consumables like potions and scrolls. I don't think I've ever drunk a potion and had the DM say "Wait. Where did you get that potion."

Then I check my log and tell him. "But you could have just written that there. How do I know?"

Indeed. I don't expect to have any trouble from DMs about this sort of thing, so long as I disclose what's in the ring at the beginning of the adventure and I'm not just super conveniently springing on him at the last second that of course I can cast this particular situationally useful cleric spell right now ;-)

Dalebert
2017-01-25, 11:32 PM
Played with a paladin tonight. Now my sorcerer has a paladin warhorse and it was AWESOME. Had one of the most fun combats in a while. We were outnumbered and the DM was playing the NPCs strategically so of course a couple came after my sorcerer. I had to get creative with my spells and my intelligent mount to protect myself and contribute to the fight.

And once I'd made space in the ring, I cast my 1/day racial Suggestion into it so I'd have an extra for later. It's a nice spell that expands my options and I can't justify a spells known slot for it but this lets me cast it a bit more.

Sir cryosin
2017-01-26, 02:25 PM
You can spend one of your feats on Magic initiative and pick up for the first level spell healing word and then when you go to sleep at night put one of the healing words into this ring of spell storing you keep them for when you need them. The healing may not be a lot but he has a fighter and as the snow is a bonus action it gives you a little bit of extra more umff when you need it. Or you can pick another first level spell like hex or something like that and do the same thing. Or pick up bless and just Stack Up on bless.

Dalebert
2017-01-26, 02:40 PM
I will never in my life waste a feast on Magic Initiate. Hate that feat. Feels very weak for the opportunity cost. If they allowed you to recast the one spell from it using spell slots, it would probably seem okay.

Anyway, my sorcerer already has one level of bard that dramatically expands his spells known including Healing Word and gives him light armor and some bardic inspirations and a skill without falling back in spell slot progression. It seemed like a worthwhile one level dip.

Bard spells:
Dissonant Whispers (twinnable)
Tasha's Hideous Laugther (twinnable)
Healing Word (twinnable)
Feather Fall

All spells that continue to be useful well into high levels.

rooneg
2017-01-26, 03:40 PM
I have to agree, I'm not a fan of Magic Initiate. There's a huge list of things I'd rather spend that ASI on. I'd rather look at interesting cross-class spells as a bonus I can use if it comes up. I'm pretty sure this ring is worth it even if I literally never cast any of them. Just getting extra shots at stuff I can already cast as an EK with a Wizard dip seems super strong to me.

Plus, blowing 5 downtime days to charge the ring with a magic initiate fueled Healing Word seems insane. I'd way rather spend those downtime days on magic item trades or something.

Dalebert
2017-01-27, 12:17 AM
Wizards in tonight's party so now I have a bat familiar also. :D Bought splint barding for my warhorse.

The party thought I was joking when I telepathically told my warhorse to jump down a 200 ft pit to get to us, ready at the bottom with a Feather Fall.

Drogo
2018-01-28, 12:14 AM
My pact of the tome Warlock went to a magic shop called the Three Enchanters (3 dwarves: Larry, Curly, and Moe... yes the three stooges) looking for this ring of spell storing he heard about. They said they've know that enchantment well enough to put it on anything. I asked for my weasel (from the Find Familiar spell) to be enchanted. They promptly took the weasel, put up an opaque fence, I heard various construction noises (like a crane reversing and a bulldozer starting up), Larry shouted out "Scalpel!" and Moe responded "Clear!" as I heard a defibilator go off. Meanwhile I'm in a fantasy setting where none of these things exist, outside shuffling my foot around. 20 minutes later they present me with my weasel, who looks thoroughly pissed off.

Long story short they told me my weasel now is enchanted and currently stores a 5th level magic missile.

How do I show my appreciation to the DM for this terrific thing by breaking it?

Zene
2018-01-28, 01:30 AM
Do you already have a familiar? Give the ring of spell storing to it, have it cast a concentration spell on you and then fly as far away from the combat as it can. Boom, double concentration buffs! Enlarge and shadowblade, for example. Or Haste once you get it.

Totally AL legal —it just uses up one of your attunement slots for your familiar to attune. The only issue is if you have a not-very-intelligent familiar (I.e. not a tressym) or a familiar that has no appendages that a ring could fit on (bat, maybe?), a DM could conceivably disallow it on those grounds. But I expect that’d be rare. More likely, they’d just target the familiar when they can.

sambojin
2018-01-28, 02:57 AM
Give your familiar find familiar. See if you can keep the chain going for as long as possible.

sithlordnergal
2018-01-28, 04:36 AM
For an EK, I would suggest Shield and Absorb Elements. Both of those spells drastically increase your tanking abilities, and they won't be wasted by any means. Plus a Shield spell in the ring means you don't have to cast it from your spell slot pool

TauNeutrino
2018-01-28, 09:03 AM
If someone has Find Familiar, the ring can be used to give everyone in the party a familiar. (Not as useful for AL) In addition, your familiar can cast a concentration spell (or just a normal spell) from the ring, boosting your action economy considerably.

Strangways
2018-01-28, 12:10 PM
I think the concern is with players cherry-picking good spells without ever actually getting anyone to cast them, or even adventuring with someone who could. League does allow you to carry the spells over, according to the admins, but with no documentation and inconsistent groups, it's pretty much the honor system. I can see the argument, TBH, so it's not anything I find too problematic. And hey, five free Healing Words is pretty decent. Saves me the slots to use for other things.

Wizards are a very common class, and every single one of them can cast Shield at the cost of nothing but a little time. No one's going to question whether you're able to find a wizard to cast Shield for you. They're all over the place.

Strangways
2018-01-28, 12:11 PM
For an EK, I would suggest Shield and Absorb Elements. Both of those spells drastically increase your tanking abilities, and they won't be wasted by any means. Plus a Shield spell in the ring means you don't have to cast it from your spell slot pool

I'd say 3 Shields and 2 Absorb Elements. You can't go wrong with those spells. They'll save your life over and over.

Drogo
2018-01-28, 09:50 PM
If someone has Find Familiar, the ring can be used to give everyone in the party a familiar. (Not as useful for AL) In addition, your familiar can cast a concentration spell (or just a normal spell) from the ring, boosting your action economy considerably.

Yes. Yes, this. Can familiars really cast concentration spells? That'd be ridiculous. I play the Chronomaster Warlock patron, so having a slow and a haste active at the same time would be perfect!

Note: I don't play adventurer's league, but from what I can tell it's random players going to random DM's and bringing existing characters? Amirite?

Asmotherion
2018-01-28, 10:08 PM
I am going to alert people that this is a thread that has been dead for over a year now, and has been revived by the means of Thread-Necromancy. Beware of Thread Necromancers!

Now kill this Undead Thread and put it back in the Grave! [Casts Eldritch Blast]

SirGraystone
2018-01-29, 09:17 AM
My cleric has one, for now he keep 2 shield spells from our wizard, 1 bless and 2 healing spells for when the spell slots are low.

nickl_2000
2018-01-29, 09:29 AM
First thing you do is that you get the Wizard to cast Find Familiar on it and pass it around to all the party members, then you get the Paladin to do the same thing with Find Steed. Then everyone gets their own Pokemon for whatever situation that they need. You can cover it all.

After that, others have given great advice.

KorvinStarmast
2018-01-29, 09:42 AM
I just thought of another use of the ring. Put any spells in it that you want to cast discreetly like Detect Thoughts or Phantasmal Force. Items that allow you cast spells do so with no components unless they say otherwise. Spells cast from magic items are the non-sorc way to get Subtle Spell. Handy to have when you're around a counter-speller. Yes, that's a very good use of this feature. Thanks for the idea.
In one of our groups the load out was two healing words, two bless, and a feather fall.