PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [PF] Character concept ideas help

Zebraoracle
2017-01-22, 09:57 PM
Heyo. I'm generally awful at building specialized characters, so if someone could point me in the right direction and offer suggestions on these concept ideas, I'd really appreciate it. This is for Pathfinder as well.

First and main one: Chakram wielder, preferably dual-wielding.

So far I've only really been able to come up with Soulknife/Soulbolt for the class. However that doesn't really let me dual-wield I don't think. Obvious feats such as point blank shot and the like of course. And returning chakrams aren't really going to be available for a while.

Second: Mesmer from Guild Wars 1.

I'm not really sure what to do here. I'm not aware of any spells in Pathfinder that function similar to Mesmer spells from Guild Wars 1 (namely spells such as Backfire (enemy takes damage when casting spells) and Empathy (enemy takes damage when attacking)). If you're unaware, Mesmers are mind mages that focus on dominating minds, punishing actions, causing illusions, and draining energy from their enemies.

Third: Ritualist from Guild Wars 1.

This one I'm even less sure about. Ritualists summon spirits to attack enemies and defend and support allies and use spirit magic to heal and support allies and hinder and damage enemies. I feel like summoners may be the go-to here, but I'm not aware of any "spirit"-like creatures they can summon that function this way. This might not even be really possible in Pathfinder.

exelsisxax
2017-01-22, 10:10 PM
1. Literally any class or archetype from level 1. Buy 2 chakram, get TWF. Explain in greater detail what you actually want to do.

2. Mesmerist, a psychic 6/9 spontaneous caster. Specializes in mind-affecting spells and abilities. The specific things you list cannot be done in PF(or a TTRPG that isn't a trainwreck). It fits the mind-mage theme though.

3. Spiritualist, a psychic full spontaneous caster. Basically, spirit summoner. Supporty and pet-based.

Your requests are all super vague, you just happened to describe things that match up extremely well in theme with 2 existing classes. Include much greater detail if you want anything more precise.

Zebraoracle
2017-01-22, 10:30 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure how to be less vague with these concepts, but I'll try.

For the chakram wielder, I'm wanting a character that can hopefully dual-wield chakrams (throwing weapon build) and still be a viable combatant in a party. Non-soulknife would probably require returning chakrams which likely won't be available for a while, making early levels hell. I'm looking for build ideas and suggestions on how to effectively build a character like this.

For the Mesmer and Ritualist ideas, I was basically looking for class ideas that could at least somewhat perform similarly, which it looks like you gave me.

Serafina
2017-01-23, 03:15 AM
Thrown weapon builds are a bit complicated.
Basically, you have to deal with the fact that you're throwing away your weapon. To make multiple attacks, you need to find a way to draw these weapons quickly enough or to get them to return immediately. The latter is preferable once you can afford magic weapons, since otherwise you'd need half a dozen magic weapons where others would need only one or at most two.

The best method is to get Ricochet Toss (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/weapon-mastery-feats/ricochet-toss-weapon-mastery) - it returns the weapon immediately after the throw, so you can throw it again, enabling multiple attacks with it.
The feat requires either Fighter-levels, or that you take the Martial Focus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/martial-focus-combat) feat - the latter is preferable, which means it'll only become available at level 7.

The other two methods, Returning weapons and Blinkback Belt, have the drawback that the weapon only returns at the end of the round. This fails to facilitate multiple attacks with it, and even if you quick-draw a second weapon you can't really catch two weapons with the same hand, so it fails on that account too.

Don't worry too much about the early levels. At the early levels, you just take Quick draw and draw a new weapon every round. Affording lots of mundane weapons isn't too much of an issue, so it doesn't really lose you anything but style. As long as you get a way to return your weapon soon enough to keep up with magic weapon progression, you're fine.

Oh, and while you asked for a Chakram-build, consider using a Starknife. It's kinda the premier thrown weapon in Pathfinder in terms of support for it, and while it looks different and has a different damage die, it's also a weapon mostly made for throwing that can also be wielded in melee. The main advantage are one of the following feats:
- Starry Grace (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/starry-grace-combat) lets you add your Dexterity to damage, so this is good if you aren't going for a strong character.
- Way of the Shooting Star (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/divine-fighting-technique-combat) requires you to be chaotic good, but allows you to use Charisma for attack and damage, which is obviously great for characters who rely on charisma.

Psyren
2017-01-23, 04:12 AM
The other two methods, Returning weapons and Blinkback Belt, have the drawback that the weapon only returns at the end of the round. This fails to facilitate multiple attacks with it, and even if you quick-draw a second weapon you can't really catch two weapons with the same hand, so it fails on that account too.

Actually, this is incorrect - Blinkback Belt (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/belt-blink-back) does return the weapon(s) immediately after each attack, enabling iterative throws. (You can't use it with 2H weapons, but you shouldn't really be throwing those anyway.)

Firest Kathon
2017-01-23, 05:35 AM
The Blinkback Belt does not work with chakrams, as they are ranged weapons:

Up to two one-handed melee weapons or up to four light melee weapons can be hung from the belt