PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Elf Subraces (PEACH)

manfred911
2017-01-22, 10:17 PM
Moon Elf
Ability Score Increase: Your Intelligence score increases by 1.
Darkvision: You can see in dim light within 60 feet o f you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Glory of the Moon: You gain proficiency in Stealth.
Secrets of the Moon: You know the minor illusion cantrip. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for it.

Sun Elf
Ability Score Increase: Your strength score increase by 1.
Sun Elf Weapon Training: You have proficiency with Handaxes, Battleaxes, and Greataxes.
Glory of the Sun: When you roll a 1 on an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll.
Savage Attacks: When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you can roll one of the weapon’s damage dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.

Arctic Elf
Ability Score Increase: Your constitution score increase by 1.
Toughness: Your hit point maximum increases by 1, and it increases by 1 every time you gain a level.
Cold Adapt: You’re acclimated to high altitude, including elevations above 20,000 feet. You’re also naturally adapted to cold climates, as described in chapter 5 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide.
Arctic Weapons Training: You have proficiency with Nets and Spears.

Aquatic Elf
Underwater living: You can breathe under water.
Webbed: Your fingers and toes are webbed. You gain swim speed equal to your land speed.
Aquatic Weapon Training: You have proficiency with Nets and Tridents.

Painted Elf
Painted Weapon Training: You have proficiency with Battleaxes, Longswords, and Warhammers.
Fleet Footed: Your base speed is 35 ft.
Natures Blessing: You gain proficiency in Survival.

Potato_Priest
2017-01-22, 10:33 PM
All elves already have darkvision, so you should replace the moon druid's thing with something better. Also, arctic elves are Way better than most of the others, getting a good ASI as well as bonus HP. The Water elves are pretty great too.

What exactly is a painted elf? Where do they live, what are they like?

GalacticAxekick
2017-01-22, 11:18 PM
All elves already have darkvision, so you should replace the moon druid's thing with something better. Also, arctic elves are Way better than most of the others, getting a good ASI as well as bonus HP. The Water elves are pretty great too.

What exactly is a painted elf? Where do they live, what are they like?Between the warpaint, weapon proficiencies and strength, I'm guessing they're tribal hunter-gatherers, perhaps marauders, overall outlanders. Fits snugly with the primal connotation of fey, and stands out from usually delicate, poised elves.

manfred911
2017-01-23, 04:09 AM
For the darkvision thing I sometimes get things from 3.5 and 5 mixed up, looks like I did it here too. Hahaha. For the Moon Elves I'm thinking about giving proficiency in either deception or investigation to go with the investigator/night stalker idea I was having for the Moon Elves. Both the Moon and Sun Elves aren't necessarily different races, but High Elves who are born different, given a special destiny.

I will think about tweaking the Arctic Elves I wanted a hardy people who have survived the harsh conditions of the arctic regions for ages.

Yes the Painted Elves are supposed to be more Tribal Marauders.

Spectre9000
2017-01-24, 06:49 PM
I would say painted elves are strictly better than Aquatic elves. They're both Strength sub-races of elves, but one gets weapon and skill proficiency, along with increased speed, whereas the other gets... under water breathing and swim speed... If you're in a aquatic campaign, maybe they're ok, but I'd still take Painted Elf over Aquatic.

That being said, omg Sun Elf. Weapon proficiencies, lucky, and savage attacks? Where can I sign up? This kind of ****s on Halflings and Half-Orcs, though mostly halflings.

Incidentally, Sun and Moon Elves are already listed in SCAG as being the same as High Elves.

2D8HP
2017-01-24, 09:58 PM
...Incidentally, Sun and Moon Elves are already listed in SCAG as being the same as High Elves.
I assume the OP was 'home-brewing' mechanical differences 'sides the existing fluff ones.

manfred911
2017-01-27, 10:58 AM
I like having the flavor of the Aquatic because there is a lot of cool stuff I allow my players to do in my game, and being able to breathe underwater and moving faster has some really cool advantages. One time during a battle of ships one player swam under the ships to entangle the rudder, and plant alchemical bombs. Was just easier staying underwater as to not be seen by the enemy.

I did want there to be a real difference between High Elves and the Sun and Moon Elves besides they just look different; I wanted their birth to be a sign of a great destiny. For the Sun Elves they are Guards to great houses, military leaders, or warrior priests (Clerics or Paladins); for that I tend to limit them to the Solider or Acolyte backgrounds. Also both Sun and Moon Elves are extremely rare, so I limit of one in the party.

For ****ing on Halflings and Half Orcs I can see that, but I try to bump them up as well, I give Halflings proficiency in stealth, and Lightfoots gain 5ft movement, and Stouts get a +1 for natural armor so its 11+ dex.

CopperElfCleric
2017-01-27, 11:46 AM
Gold (Sun) elves should have the +1 to Intelligence as the subrace tends to focus more on Arcane art.

Copper (Wood) elves have a +1 to Dex.

Moon (Silver) elves have a great love for the Melee arts and most often become Bladesingers or Dusk Blades.

Grey Watcher
2017-01-27, 06:15 PM

Sun Elf
Glory of the Sun: When you roll a 1 on an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll.

By the way, is there meant to be a usage limitation on this, like once per long rest? Seems a bit much otherwise.

Or, as has been pointed out downthread, it's exactly like a Halfling's Lucky trait. :smallredface:

Spectre9000
2017-01-27, 06:32 PM
By the way, is there meant to be a usage limitation on this, like once per long rest? Seems a bit much otherwise.

It's the same thing Halflings get... are they op?

Grey Watcher
2017-01-27, 10:53 PM
It's the same thing Halflings get... are they op?

Huh. I stand corrected. I had thought that Halfling's Lucky was once per some kind of rest. But, as you say, it's anytime you roll a natural one. :cue The More You Know card: