PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder no double dipping on draconic bloodline feats (sorcerer/dragon disciple)

Particle_Man
2017-01-22, 10:37 PM
Sorcerers get bonus feats from their bloodline as well as powers and bonus spells.

Dragon Disciples advance the powers and bonus spells of the draconic bloodline of sorcerers.

Dragon Disciples also get bonus feats from the draconic bloodline.

I assume that dragon disciples do not also advance the feat progression of the draconic bloodline of the sorcerer class, as that would result in "double dipping" into the feat pool. Is that assumption correct?

exelsisxax
2017-01-22, 10:41 PM
The draconic bloodline doesn't have feat progression. It has a list of bonus feats. The sorcerer class provides bonus feats from that list at certain levels, and the draconic disciple PrC also provides bonus feats from that list at certain levels. DD progresses sorcerer level for the purposes of draconic bloodline and nothing else.

There isn't anything to double dip, so it certainly doesn't.

Coretron03
2017-01-22, 10:46 PM
I don't think the bonus feats count as bloodline power (part of the bloodline class feature, not specifically the bloodline powers) so I think you are correct in them not giving 2 sets of feats.

Particle_Man
2017-01-23, 12:48 AM
Thanks. I figured as much but just wanted to be sure. The "prestigious spellcaster" feat is making me take Dragon Disciple seriously as a prestige class so I am trying to figure it out. I figure I won't go crazy on the optimization, just keep it fairly simple (human, gold dragon distant ancestor, maybe take improved natural armour as a feat multiple times).

Coretron03
2017-01-23, 01:49 AM
And its a fair questions, especially relevant since it sounds like your builds gonna be feat starved.

Psyren
2017-01-23, 10:48 AM
Wow, that's a nice feat and well-written. I think I'll be porting that back to some of the 3.5 PrCs too.

Full-casting Arcane Archer and Eldritch Knight, yes please!

Particle_Man
2017-01-23, 12:47 PM
It is a great feat, although with respect to Eldritch Knight, you add a spellcaster level for the first level of EK, but you can't add a spellcaster level for the fighter/paladin/ranger/barbarian/etc. level you use to get proficiency in all martial weapons before you enter EK.

But yeah, Bard 8/Arcane Archer 10 or wizard 12/arcane archer 8 seems quite doable, frex.

Psyren
2017-01-23, 02:41 PM
It is a great feat, although with respect to Eldritch Knight, you add a spellcaster level for the first level of EK, but you can't add a spellcaster level for the fighter/paladin/ranger/barbarian/etc. level you use to get proficiency in all martial weapons before you enter EK.

Oh I know that, but it still means more builds can hit 9ths now. Like Paladin 2/Sorc 8/EK 10 will now get you 9th-level spells, +16 BAB, Divine Grace etc.

Even better, grarrrg can stop foaming at the mouth whenever he hears the words "Rage Prophet" too :smallbiggrin:

grarrrg
2017-01-23, 11:09 PM
Even better, grarrrg can stop foaming at the mouth whenever he hears the words "Rage Prophet" too :smallbiggrin:

Hmmm....
*considers*
*contemplates*
*froth*

So you're telling me that we're gonna take..."that class"...the one that gives you absolutely _no_ additional Revelations, nor Rage Powers, UNLESS you spend Feats to get them (which the class doesn't grant any bonus feats to make up for), and, in fact, actually REQUIRES you take a sub-par Rage Power to qualify to take levels in "it"....

You're telling me we're going to that "that class", and we're going to _ADD_ at least 2 feat taxes to it? In some misguided attempt to make it approach a point where it can maybe get a glimpse at what a "good" PrC actually does?
Is that what you're telling me?

Psyren
2017-01-24, 08:20 AM
Ohai! :smallsmile:

1) A lot of mysteries only have a few good revelations anyway - what matters more is the scaling of the good ones, which RP does give you. Battle for instance has like... four decent revelations in it, two of which RP itself renders moot.

2) Yeah you lose rage powers, but I'd like to think cleric spellcasting beats rage powers most days of the week.

3) You don't get bonus feats from the class, but you get a lot of class features that are equal in power to feats. Adding Con to your save DCs and concentration checks for example, or being able to sacrifice your lower-level slots for additional rage rounds - just one 4th-level spell slot translates to an entire extra combat's worth of rage for instance. And lest we forget, being able to cast buff spells while raging.

4) The term "feat tax" is grossly misused on this forum. A feat tax is a useless feat that you need to take so you can qualify for another feat that does the thing your build actually wants. But if the feat itself is good, that's not a tax, that's just you paying for a service normally. The whole point of feats is to spend them on things.