PDA

View Full Version : Druid magic equipment

Kiyona
2007-07-20, 04:29 AM
So, tonight I am gonna start my second ever dungeons campaign. ^^

As I have mentioned in a few threads (yes there has been a bit of spamming on my part. Sorry for that) I am playing a druid.

Im gonna finish her this afternoon, i only have spells and equipment left.

So, i was wondering, is there any magic equipment or spells that i absolutly have to take. ^^

Just dont wanna miss out on anything cruisal. No broken stuff, but i dont wanna be underpowered either. :smallbiggrin:

Since i am a beginner and dont know my way around all the books Im asking you for help.

Were starting at lvl 8, normal wealth by level, and im using cha instead of wis to cast spells.

Kaelaroth
2007-07-20, 05:10 AM
I strongly suggest a Druid's Vestment, Wings of Flying, and Murlynd's Spoon.

Kaelaroth
2007-07-20, 05:12 AM
Flame Strike, Wood Wose, Last Breath and Entangle are also incredibly useful spells.

Fire Wings is also good. :smallamused:

Wraithy
2007-07-20, 05:20 AM
everlasting rations, replenishing skin, beastskin armour property (allows your armour to reshape around you when you wildshape).
there are probably others, I'll flip through the magic item compendium when my chronic lazyness lets up.

Iku Rex
2007-07-20, 06:45 AM
Which DnD books can you use?

Kiyona
2007-07-20, 08:09 AM
I dont own any books myself, thats why i keep bugging you with stupid questions.

But my DM has almost every book written. ^^

Zim
2007-07-20, 08:30 AM
If you're going to be the spell caster type, go with a chronocharm of the uncaring archmage. at 500 gp you can take a full round casting and reduce it to 1 standard action 1/day. Great for those summon nature's ally castings.

Wood shape is a great one foe getting around obstacles. Wooden wall/door/ship's hull in the way? No problem! Bam! Tables and chairs for the whole party & obstacle removed.

Scrolls of utility spells are better than having them memorized for the day. Keep your spell slots open for spells that depend on caster level or saving throws.

Keep a Quall's tree token and a scroll of Treestride handy for quick getaways.

Oh yeah, and a copy of the PHB would be hella useful to own. Support WotC and invest in your hobby. Barring that, link to the www.d20srd.org (http://www.d20srd.org) which has all the d20 open content with errata included. This will let you have a copy of Da Rulz and the basic spells, items and creatures to choose from.

Fenix_of_Doom
2007-07-20, 08:30 AM
Well you could always look for your self (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm) even though you don't have any books.
for a mere 2K gold, a Handy Haversack is always nice to have.

Kiyona
2007-07-20, 08:35 AM
Well you could always look for your self even though you don't have any books.

Well, I would do that, except that I am at work... and all the good webpages are blocked. ^^

Person_Man
2007-07-20, 09:48 AM
Look at Crystalkeep. They're all PDF files. If it's blocked, try looking at the cached version through Google. Or you can just download them to a jump drive or email them to yourself from home. Then you'll have them on your work hard drive whenever you feel like goofing off.

Darrin
2007-07-20, 10:50 AM
So, i was wondering, is there any magic equipment or spells that i absolutly have to take. ^^

Just dont wanna miss out on anything cruisal. No broken stuff, but i dont wanna be underpowered either. :smallbiggrin:

Armor: dragonhide breastplate +1 with the wild enhancement (16,700 GP) - probably out of your price range, but this maximizes your armor bonus while in wild shape (+4 armor bonus, +1 enhancement, +3 ability). If you're short on cash, then a normal dragonhide breastplate, ring of protection +1, and amulet of natural armor +1 would be much cheaper (4,700 GP total) for +6 AC (+1 or +2 in wildshape).

Weapons: shocking scimitar +1 (8,315 GP) - not a lot of DR/electricity out there, and fits the "call lightning" theme nicely. Ideally, you'll want to add Keen and Shocking Burst later (+10,000 GP).

Magic Items: Hmmm... as far as "absolutely vital", Druid's Vestment is a good start. Ixnay on the Wings of Flying: a Broom of Flying or Winged Boots are much cheaper, and the ability to fly is already granted by Wildshape. I'd pass on Murlynd's Spoon, too... Ring of Sustenance is cheaper, and both items are unnecessary for druids with Goodberry.

Handy Haversack is usually a "must have", and is cheap at 2,000 GP, but if half-a-dozen of 'em are already in your party, you might be able to skip it. Heck, if you can't carry everything, just slap some saddlebags on that brown bear.

Pearl of Power (1,000 GP) - You never know when another Entangle might come in handy.

Something else you're going to need is an item that can create windy or storm-like conditions, since this boosts the damage on your signature direct damage spell, Call Lightning, from 3d6 to 3d10. Ring of Djinni calling or Censer of Controlling Air Elementals would be ideal, but are *really* expensive (125,000 GP and 100,000 GP respectively). Orb of Storms is about half as much (48,000 GP), but only gives you Control Weather 1/day. Until you can get ahold of one of these big ticket items, grab a few Elemental Gems (2,250 GP each) for emergencies.

Some other low cost/high impact magic items:

* Feather Token, Tree (400 GP) - Need to block a doorway? Prevent a charge? Cover a retreat? Break LOS? Give yourself some climbing bonuses? Also, as someone else already mentioned Treestride.

* Bag of Tricks (900 GP/3,000 GP/6,300 GP) - Need a cheap flanking buddy? Also good checking for traps. Not really necessary, since you can always Summon Nature's Ally, but the bag will let you save your spells for more important things.

* Hand of the Mage (900 GP) - Poor man's telekinesis, but on the other hand, a lot of common items are under 5 lbs, including most one-handed weapons.

* Horn of Fog (2,000 GP) - Ok, this one is hard to use effectively, but on the other hand it provides concealment and breaks LOS, which can be very handy for sneaky-types in your party. Combine with Wood Wose (druid version of Unseen Servant) to deploy remotely, or Faerie Fire beforehand for a nice tactical advantage.

* Ring of Feather Falling (2,200 GP) - Never take falling damage again.

* Marvelous Pigments (4,000 GP) - The ultimate Batman utility belt. Need a rope, ladder, pulley, canoe, vodka martini, chocolate pudding catapult, or an ogre-sized sequined pink party dress? So long as whatever you need isn't magical, you'll have it when you need it.

* Slippers of Spiderclimb (4,800 GP) - An incredibly large number of traps/obstacles can be easily circumvented just by walking on walls or the ceiling. Unlike the spell of the same name, the slippers leave both your hands free, allowing you to use ranged weapons such as bows/slings/etc.

* Boots of Striding and Springing (5,500 GP) - Increases your base speed by 10', charge by 20', who can't use a little extra movement?