View Full Version : Sanity check: Using PrCs as base classes experiment.

Telok
2017-01-23, 05:47 AM
So I'm considering running an experiment, using some prestige classes as base classes in a possible upcoming game. I have some preliminary rules and would like the Playground to check them over to see if I'm being too stingy or risking anything overpowered.

The base game will have a few modifications from standard 3.5 D&D: +2 skill points to every class, some modest melee/fighty class buffs, no Concentration skill (checks yes, skill no), killing off some feat taxes, killing off metamagic and magic item creation cost reducers, Favoured Souls get fixed spell lists (preselected domains according to deity). Classes not used: Samurai, Wizard, Cleric, Psion, Wilder, Artificer, Druid, Archivist, Sorcerer, Marshal, Healer, Spirit Shaman, Wu-jen.

A modification on Adepts, they're now the base for the general open list spell casters.
Note that there is serious prejudice and active hunting down and killing of spellcasters that aren't part of a recognized arcanist guild, lord's household, or one of the three "Lightbringer Gods" temples. Serious as in "if you're not really good at keeping it a secret you will be hunted down and killed, no quarter asked or given". Not being legit and part of an organization is essentially cultural high treason.
Adept:
1) Priest Adepts gain one Cleric Domain of their god in the same manner as a normal cleric, use the Cleric spell list, and are divine casters. They do not have a familiar.
2) Magician Adepts use a spellbook as a Wizard would and use the Wizard spell list. They do not have a familiar.
3) Witch Adepts receive spells from the entities on the god list that are not the normal gods, they use the Witch (DMG p.175) spell list, and must have their familiar present in order to cast spells. They are also divine casters.
4) Cultist Adepts gain one Cleric Domain that is not on any god's domain list, use the Adept spell list, and are neither arcane nor divine casters. A familiar is chosen for them and is required for them to cast spells. (The domains are cavern, celerity, force, glory, herald, meditation, mentalism, time, planning, protection, rune, spell, spider, truth.)

The following is copy/paste from the current experimental document.
PrCs from the core, completes, expanded psionic, races of stone, and tome of battle

Limits on what classes are allowed:
* No classes less than 10 levels long
* No fast/improved casting advancement classes
* Does not require spells/abilities higher than Spell Level 2 or 3 equivalent
* No silly powerful stuff
* Not too specific in capabilities
* Not setting specific

Basic rules:
* Classes with the benefit of +1 caster level use Bard class spellcasting advancement. Divine PrCs replace the spell list with the cleric or druid spell list depending on the intended entrance. Arcane PrCs replace the spell list with the wizard spell list and use a spell book. If it increases multiple types of casting, any type of casting, or alternates between two types of casting then it uses the NPC Adept spell list and advancement.
* Classes that advance or stack with a class ability, grant that class ability at the same level that it would be available to the normal base class. Martial initiator PrCs do not have a refresh method because the class does not define a refresh method. For example a class that advances druidic wildshaping will grant the wildshape class ability at fifth level.
* The character must take the feats and skills required to enter the class reasonable quickly (yes, I know that this is vague). All required skills are class skills and the base skill points the class grants are equal to the number of maxed skills required. For example a class requires four skills at 8 ranks for a intended entry at level 6 will give a minimum of four skill points per level.
* The character must meet the requirements to qualify for the class in order to leave the class. A class that cannot qualify at level 10 indicates that the character cannot advance past 10th level.
* The class grants proficiency any armor or weapon mentioned in the class prerequisites or abilities. If armor and weapon proficiencies are not defined in the class (for example if the class says "Gains no additional proficiencies with armor or weapons") then they are based on the base attack bonus of the class.
Wizard BaB grants proficiency in simple weapons and no armors.
Rogue BaB grants proficiency in light armors, bucklers, and all simple weapons.
Fighter BaB grants proficiency in all martial weapons, light, medium, and heavy armors, and all
shields up to tower shields.
If a class advances Monk abilities then it grants no armor proficiencies but does grant the monk
weapons, unarmed attacks, and the Improved Unarmed Strike feat.

*** PrCs that do not qualify for the base class experiment ***
arcane archer, darkwood stalker, drunken master, effigy master, evangelist, frenzied berserker, fochulcan lyrist, exotic weapon master, hierophant, horizon walker, initiate of the seven fold veil, loremaster, maester, master of many forms, master of the unseen hand, master transmogrifist, mindbender, mindspy, mystic theurge, gnome giant slayer, green star adept, nature's warrior, purple dragon knight, rage mage, red wizard, sacred exorcist, seeker of the misty isle, seeker of songs, shadowdancer, shadowbane inquisitor, shadowcraft mage, stoneblessed, sublime chord, suel anamarch, tharyan knight, temple raider of odie, ur-priest, virtuoso, warshaper, wayfarer guide, cerebremancer, thrallherd, thaumaturgist, master of the nine, bloodclaw master, deepstone sentinel, divine crusader, rainbow servant, geometer, master thrower, ollam, spymaster
*** The above list is not ALL disallowed PrCs, it is a representative sample ***

Thoughts? Ideas?

Harlekin
2017-01-23, 06:28 AM
Do you only use the books you named in the second spoiler?

If I understand that correctly, there are no tier 1 or 2 spellcasters in your setting and no spellcasters with 9th level spells except warmage (since it's in complete arcane, depending on books allowed beguiler and dread necromancer). I don't know if you just forgot them, but you might want to consider them.

So this means bards are the spellcasters with the fastest spell level advancement in your setting.
Your houserule makes the gishes (eldritch knight, arcane trickster) quite temping, since they get the best casting advancement, above average BAB, HP and/or other interesting abilities. But this might be fine, because it gets them approximately on the same powerlevel as the bard.

Although prcs like blackguard and assassin seem interesting/difficult, because their spells are really strong when you gain them from level 1.

At last, prcs which gain unique abilities require close inspection, because the master of shrouds could summon allips from ecl 1, which could be a mess...

But if you take care of the traps and your players are not deliberatly trying to exploit this, I think it's a very cool houserule and some of the otherwise ignored prcs could really shine and lead to a interesting and unique game.

Doctor Despair
2017-01-23, 08:50 AM
I'm typically in favor of removing requirements for PrCs like that. PCs can typically void any PrC requirement they like by level 2 if they metagame and powergame hard enough (in fact, I'm considering making an early-entry guide with some quick and dirty tricks for just this), but given that they can do that I think it's more clean to just drop the req's all together like you have done. Of course there will be unexpected consequences, but you may curtail a lot of them with restricted classrs, spells, or books as you've done. Fun concept.

As for killing off meta magic, I'd hesitate with that. As the second poster noted, your classes typically don't have a lot of high level spell slots; that might be nerf enough to metamagic.

As for killing some feat taxes, I'd honestly kill some martial feat taxes and keep the caster ones. Even with weaker casters, martials can still use the help, and that should make for some fun gishes

Telok
2017-01-23, 03:14 PM
Although prcs like blackguard and assassin seem interesting/difficult, because their spells are really strong when you gain them from level 1.

At last, prcs which gain unique abilities require close inspection, because the master of shrouds could summon allips from ecl 1, which could be a mess...

But if you take care of the traps and your players are not deliberatly trying to exploit this, I think it's a very cool houserule and some of the otherwise ignored prcs could really shine and lead to a interesting and unique game.

In reverse order: Interesting and cool is what I'm trying for. Master of shrouds may contravene the "silly powerful limit" depending on the setting, I'll have to look into that and check the setting, the spawning undead would make them the targets of very well funded and prepared witch hunts in addition to them being total and complete social pariahs. It may not actually be a problem in the intended setting. The blackguard and assassin spell lists are sort of what I'm asking about, there are warmages, beguilers, dread necros, and everyone else has bard or adept spell advancement so since I'm not intimately familiar with all the assorted PrC spell lists (and lack that much free time) I was wondering how they compared in power up to level 10ish.

Of course there will be unexpected consequences, but you may curtail a lot of them with restricted classes, spells, or books as you've done. Fun concept.

As for killing off meta magic...

As for killing some feat taxes, I'd honestly kill some martial feat taxes and keep the caster ones. Even with weaker casters, martials can still use the help, and that should make for some fun gishes

Pretty much in line with this already. I'm looking to find assorted pitfalls ahead of time in the possible PrCs in order to avoid them. It's mostly the metamagic reducers that are being culled, because beguilers, favored souls, warmages, and dread necros are still in. One or two may be allowable, I'm not actually too worried about DMM and arcane thesis alone. Reciprocal Gyre, dispells, and a lack of nightstick abuse take care of them. So I can probably be easily convinced to allow them, but I'm still sort of on the fence about it because they'll be seen as mandatory for anyone using the non-sudden metamagic feats. And yeah, the feat taxes getting axed are pretty much all fighty ones, toughness, dodge, combat expert, point blank, etc.