View Full Version : Reminder: No UA article today

jaappleton
2017-01-23, 07:45 AM
WOTC will not be putting out a UA article today, January 23rd.

No idea if next weeks will be a combined article like Ranger / Rogue was, or only Sorcerer, or what.

Next article is scheduled for January 30th.

Malaketh
2017-01-23, 10:48 AM
Say it ain't so!? How did I miss that! Ugh, my sorc will level to 3 this week and DM said I could us the UA stuff if wanted.

Wizards!!!!!! DONT YOU KNOW ITS ABOUT ME!!!??? 😋

Rysto
2017-01-23, 10:53 AM
Wizards of the Coast once again showing their true feelings for Sorcerers... ;)

jaappleton
2017-01-23, 10:58 AM
Wizards of the Coast once again showing their true feelings for Sorcerers... ;)

I actually like the Sorc options they've released via UA. I especially like the Shadow option. I've been working on a Revenent Dragonborn Shadow Sorc concept, but I want to wait until my group is level 6 before using it :smallbiggrin:

Of course, there's the Favored Soul (Designed by Rodney Thompson, not Mearls or Crawford. It was one of the final things he designed before leaving for Bungie), which is great just for the armor and shield proficiency.

Malaketh
2017-01-23, 11:49 AM
The 10 extra spells is nice too 😉

The Shadowdove
2017-01-23, 12:23 PM
How do we know when they do/don't release them?

Always been in the dark about how people know ahead of time.

Mikey P
2017-01-23, 12:30 PM
I'm think UA is going to be hard on the sorcerer. After the previous releases and the Storm Sorcerer's UA to release changes...

My fear is that rather than some fun new content to add to our games, we're going to get a gimped down rehash of the Favored Soul and Shadow Sorcerers.

jaappleton
2017-01-23, 12:32 PM
How do we know when they do/don't release them?

Always been in the dark about how people know ahead of time.

I have moles in WOTC. Trevor Kidd is my uncle and Jeremy Crawford hates scones.

Really, I'm just very active with Mearls & Crawford on Twitter. That's where I get 95% of my information that I then bring here to share with you guys. They're fairly forthcoming, if you catch them in the right mood.

Foxydono
2017-01-23, 12:52 PM
I hope we get two more rogue UA's before we go to sorcerer though. I can't live with only one new rogue archtype :(

jaappleton
2017-01-23, 01:07 PM
I hope we get two more rogue UA's before we go to sorcerer though. I can't live with only one new rogue archtype :(

I don't see any more Rogue archetypes in the works.

That said, don't be dismayed. We never saw a UA of the Mastermind archetype, that went right to the SCAG book. So there could be things they're happy with and think it doesn't need playtesting.

Remember, UA is where they bounce ideas off of the players.

Temperjoke
2017-01-23, 01:12 PM
I'd like to see something like an anti-spellcaster UA class/option. Like, one that gets abilities designed to hunt/counter spellcasters in and out of battle. Like an anti-magic aura, or a magical sense to detect spellcasters in a certain range.

jaappleton
2017-01-23, 01:13 PM
I'd like to see something like an anti-spellcaster UA class/option. Like, one that gets abilities designed to hunt/counter spellcasters in and out of battle. Like an anti-magic aura, or a magical sense to detect spellcasters in a certain range.

Would've been a good Paladin Oath. Like a Templar in Dragon Age, right?

Temperjoke
2017-01-23, 01:16 PM
Would've been a good Paladin Oath. Like a Templar in Dragon Age, right?

Well, I don't know about paladin, might have been a good ranger, since they're already about sensing and tracking enemies.

Zene
2017-01-23, 02:54 PM
Of course, there's the Favored Soul (Designed by Rodney Thompson, not Mearls or Crawford. It was one of the final things he designed before leaving for Bungie), which is great just for the armor and shield proficiency.

The 10 extra spells is nice too 😉

Yeah, the PHB sorc subclasses only get 15 spells, so 10 extra is insane. And don't forget Extra Attack at L6. I'm guessing we won't see any new Sorcerer options even close to the strength of Favored Soul.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-01-23, 03:11 PM

only problem i see with this is that you might limit yourself if all your party does is face lets say hordes of goblins. or its a low magic setting in the first place. Seems setting dependent. That being said if they could make the Archtype and still get around these obstacles I'd play it in a heartbeat.

Temperjoke
2017-01-23, 03:31 PM
only problem i see with this is that you might limit yourself if all your party does is face lets say hordes of goblins. or its a low magic setting in the first place. Seems setting dependent. That being said if they could make the Archtype and still get around these obstacles I'd play it in a heartbeat.

Well, a number of classes are setting dependent. Barbarians are a bad choice for a campaign that focuses on social/political intrigue, for example. Those sort of obstacles are why setting expectations are important before you start picking classes.