PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Sentinel Base Class

dboxcar
2017-01-23, 12:37 PM
The Sentinel

http://s23.postimg.org/69y40ko7v/Fighter39.jpg

https://s24.postimg.org/fw3e19b2d/Sentinel_Table.jpg

HD: d10

Alignment: Must be Lawful or Good (or both)

Skills: A sentinel gets 4 + Int mod per level, ×4 at 1st level; A sentinel’s class skills are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Jump (Str), Knowledge (nobility and royalty) (Int), Listen (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A sentinel is proficient with light and medium armor, simple and martial weapons, and shields (except tower shields). A sentinel treats all spears as being one category easier to hold (for example, from two-handed to one-handed weapons). Spears that were previously one-handed weapons may still be held in two hands to employ the benefits of Power Attack, Strength modifier to damage, etc.

Agile Shield Fighter (Ex): A sentinel is treated as having the Improved Shield Bash feat and the Agile Shield Fighter feat, representing the sentinel’s training in fighting with his weapon and shield in concert. A sentinel does not gain the benefits of these feats when wearing heavy armor or carrying a heavy load.

Sentinel’s Shield: A sentinel may perform a ritual over an 8-hour period, improving the quality of his steel shield (light and heavy shields made of more exotic metals are also allowed, as are other exotic shields that are heavier than light shields). The ritual may be performed during the same time as the sentinel rests. Once completed, the ritual gives the shield a number of benefits. By imbuing the shield with his own blood, the shield is treated as adamantine for the purpose of its hardness and hit points. The shield also becomes masterwork if it wasn’t already. This quality does not extend to the ability to overcome hardness with shield bash attacks. The sentinel also embosses the face of the shield with his emblem (or that of his deity, organization, country, patron, etc), which the sentinel can use as masterwork shield spikes that deal bludgeoning damage instead of piercing damage.
A sentinel’s shield cannot be melted down for adamantine slag (it is actually still made of its original material), but functions in the hands of any user as a masterwork adamantine shield (only the sentinel can properly use the emblem to deal extra damage on shield bash attacks). Those who steal the shield of a sentinel tend to lose or break the shield (depending on whether the sentinel is alive to recover the shield). If a sentinel performs this ritual on a new shield while an old one still exists, the benefits transfer to the new shield, leaving the old shield in the state it was before the ritual (except for the decorative emblem).

Shield Specialization: The sentinel gains the benefit of the Shield Specialization feat with light and heavy shields, which provides an extra +1 shield bonus when using these shields.

Sentinel Stance (Ex): A sentinel is rigorously trained to withstand grueling, draw-out battles. At 2nd level and onward, a sentinel gains temporary hit points at the beginning and end of his turn equal to one-half his sentinel level (round down). These temporary hit points do not stack, so at any time the sentinel may not have more temporary hit points from this ability than one-half his sentinel level (or however many he gets granted; see Improved Sentinel Stance and Greater Sentinel Stance). A sentinel gains this benefit as long as he is not wearing heavy armor or carrying a heavy load.

Shield Ward (Ex): At 2nd level, a sentinel can use his shield as a barrier to opponents attempting to get close to him. He applies his shield bonus to his touch AC and on checks to resist bull rush, disarm, grapple, overrun, and trip attempts against him. He also applies his shield bonus to his Reflex saves. This counts as the feat of the same name.

Combat Reflexes (Ex): A 3rd-level sentinel gains the benefits of the Combat Reflexes feat, and may substitute his Constitution bonus in for his Dexterity bonus to determine how many extra attacks of opportunity he gets per round. A sentinel loses access to this ability when wearing heavy armor or carrying a heavy load.

Shield Charge (Ex): A 3rd-level sentinel gains the Shield Charge feat (Complete Warrior 105). A sentinel loses access to this ability when wearing heavy armor or carrying a heavy load (although he still counts as having the feat).

Armor Mastery (Ex): At 4th level a sentinel wears his armor like a second skin and ignores the standard speed reduction for wearing medium armor.

Inertial Strike (Ex): When a 4th-level sentinel strikes a foe with a weapon and uses his shield as a counterweight to the swing, the power of his blows becomes devastating. A sentinel wielding a one-handed or light weapon in one hand and a light or larger shield in the other may treat his weapon as being wielded in both hands for the purpose of damage. Thus, he adds 1+½ his Strength bonus to damage and adds double the attack penalty to damage in the case of Power Attack. A sentinel does not gain the benefits of Inertial Strike in a round when he makes any attacks with his shield, or when he wears heavy armor or carries a heavy load.

Damage Reduction (Ex): At 5th level, a sentinel gains the ability to shrug off some amount of injury by using his shield to partially absorb direct blows. This damage reduction increases every three sentinel levels (1/ at level 5, 2/ at level 8, 3/ at level 11, 4/ at level 14, 5/ at level 16, 6/ at level 20), and is surpassed by adamantine weapons. This ability only functions while the sentinel wields a shield.

Shield Ally (Ex): Starting at 5th level, as an immediate reaction a sentinel can opt to absorb part of the damage dealt to an adjacent ally. Each time this ally takes damage from a physical attack before the sentinel’s next turn, the sentinel can take half the damage on himself (round up). The target takes the other half as normal. A sentinel can only absorb damage from physical melee and ranged attacks, such as an incoming arrow or a blow from a sword, not from spells or other effects. A sentinel may not use this ability while wearing heavy armor or carrying a heavy load.

Shield Slam (Ex): A 6th-level sentinel gains the Shield Slam feat (Complete Warrior 105). When using a full-attack action to make a single shield bash (such as when using this feat), a sentinel gains a bonus on the attack roll equal to his Constitution modifier and treats the shield as being held in two hands for the purpose of calculating damage (with Strength bonus and Power Attack; see Inertial Strike).

Sentinel’s Strike (Ex): At 7th level, a sentinel can harry opponents that don’t focus on him in combat. Whenever an enemy that the sentinel threatens takes a standard or full-round action that doesn’t involve directly targeting the sentinel, the sentinel may make an attack of opportunity against that enemy (this is a special exception to the rule that a character may only make one opportunity attack per enemy per round—a sentinel may make the standard single attack of opportunity against a creature moving out of a threatened square, and later in the turn use Sentinel’s Strike to attack that figure if it provokes accordingly. However, a sentinel may still only make one attack of opportunity per triggering action, as normal).

Shield Block (Ex): A 8th-level sentinel may focus on using his shield to absorb the brunt of a foe’s attacks. If the sentinel takes a move action or a standard action to focus on an opponent within line of sight, all damage done to the sentinel until the beginning of the sentinel’s next turn by that opponent’s physical attacks and energy or force damage attacks is converted to nonlethal damage (this includes damage taken through Shield Ally). This only affects damage taken while the sentinel wields a shield and is not flat-footed, stunned, paralyzed, or unconscious (so if the non-lethal damage knocks the sentinel unconscious, the excess damage is taken as lethal damage).

Evasion (Ex): At 9th level, a sentinel gains Evasion (see the monk ability of the same name, except as mentioned here). A sentinel gains the benefits of Evasion as long as he is not wearing heavy armor or carrying a heavy load.

Steel Trap (Ex): At 9th level, a sentinel gets an attack of opportunity against any foe who leaves a threatened square, even if the foe takes a 5ft-step or the withdraw action. Tumble checks to avoid provoking an attack of opportunity from the sentinel must roll higher than 10 + the sentinel’s level in order to succeed.

Improved Agile Shield Fighter (Ex): An 10th-level sentinel’s penalty for attacking with both weapon and shield in a full attack is reduced by 1 (to a penalty of -1).

Improved Shield Slam (Ex): At 11th level, a sentinel’s Shield Slam ability improves. Enemies that fail the save are stunned for 1 round rather than dazed.

Improved Sentinel Stance (Ex): A 12th-level sentinel’s Sentinel Stance grants additional temporary hit points equal to the sentinel’s Constitution modifier.

Improved Shield Ally (Ex): At 13th level, a sentinel’s ability to absorb damage for his allies increases. Once per round a sentinel can absorb all damage from a single attack against an adjacent ally (if this attack was an effect that required a Reflex save and the sentinel is also affected by the effect, the sentinel must voluntarily fail his Reflex save to use this ability). In addition, he may continue to absorb half the damage from other physical attacks on an adjacent ally, as per Shield Ally. A sentinel must choose to use Improved Shield Ally after the attacker determines that the attack hits but before damage is rolled. A sentinel may not use this ability while wearing heavy armor or carrying a heavy load.

Mettle (Ex): at 14th level, a sentinel can resist magical or unusual attacks with great willpower and fortitude. When he makes a successful Will or Fortitude save against an effect that would normally have a lesser effect on a successful save, he instead simply negates the effect. An unconscious or sleeping sentinel does not gain the benefit of Mettle.

Improved Sentinel’s Strike (Ex): A 15th-level sentinel can interrupt his foe’s attacks. When making an attack of opportunity due to Sentinel’s Strike triggered by a foe’s attack action, a sentinel rolls his attack roll at the same time as his opponent’s. If the sentinel’s roll is higher than his opponent’s, the sentinel may opt to cancel his own attack in order to cancel his opponent’s attack as well (a cancelled attack still uses up the sentinel’s attack of opportunity, and the sentinel’s opponent’s attack is wasted).

Greater Shield Slam (Ex): At 16th level, a sentinel can bash multiple times each round. When taking a full-attack action to shield slam as per the Shield Slam feat, the sentinel may make two attacks, each at his highest attack bonus -1. Each attack has the potential to stun the target. The sentinel may attack the same creature with both attacks, or different creatures. A creature that is already stunned automatically succeeds the Fortitude save. The sentinel still gains their Constitution bonus to the attack rolls of both attacks and treats the shield as being wielded two-handed for damage.

Improved Evasion (Ex): At 17th level, a sentinel gains Improved Evasion (see the monk ability of the same name, except as mentioned here). A sentinel gains the benefits of Improved Evasion as long as he is not wearing heavy armor or carrying a heavy load.

Greater Agile Shield Fighter (Ex): A 18th-level sentinel receives no penalty when attacking with both his weapon and his shield during a full attack.

Greater Sentinel’s Strike (Ex): When a 19th-level sentinel negates an opponent’s attack using Improved Sentinel’s Strike, the sentinel’s attack of opportunity is not wasted (see if the sentinel’s attack hits and roll for damage as normal if it does).

Greater Sentinel Stance (Ex): At 20th level a sentinel’s Sentinel Stance improves, granting temporary hit points equal to the sentinel’s full class level (instead of half) + the sentinel’s Constitution modifier.

Celticbear
2017-01-26, 09:29 AM
Now THAT is a tank... now I wish I played tanks instead of casters.:smallsigh:

Though, I think the BAB progression is a little rushed. If this class's main thing is to just sit around and take damage (Or don't as the case may be) Then I think you should at least give him a slower BAB progression.

JoshuaZ
2017-01-26, 09:38 AM
Now THAT is a tank... now I wish I played tanks instead of casters.:smallsigh:

Though, I think the BAB progression is a little rushed. If this class's main thing is to just sit around and take damage (Or don't as the case may be) Then I think you should at least give him a slower BAB progression.

Full BAB seems to make sense to me. Without it they can sit around and take damage but they can't do much themselves so it becomes easy to just ignore them.

nonsi
2017-01-26, 09:47 AM
"Sentinel" w/o Listen and Spot as class skills is no sentinel. Badass, could be. Sentinel, no.
Also, what about armor mastery for heavy armor?

OttoVonBigby
2017-01-28, 09:21 AM
Why no tower shields? I mean, nobody gets tower shields; if anybody's gonna, it should be the "yo I heard you like shields" class.

aimlessPolymath
2017-01-30, 09:24 PM
Why no tower shields? I mean, nobody gets tower shields; if anybody's gonna, it should be the "yo I heard you like shields" class.

I'm guessing it's because you can't shield bash with them.

Temotei
2017-02-02, 06:43 PM
Why d10 instead of d12?

dboxcar
2017-02-15, 02:41 AM
Woah, feedback!

"Sentinel" w/o Listen and Spot as class skills is no sentinel. Badass, could be. Sentinel, no.
Also, what about armor mastery for heavy armor?

...I cannot believe I didn't add those. I'll do that now.
Heavy armor isn't this class's thing. Gotta be different from fighter/knight/pally etc, right?

Why d10 instead of d12?

What with the temporary HP you're getting every single turn, you make up for the HD difference after taking two hits, beat it after three hits, and keep getting more value the longer the fight lasts. Again, I don't wanna totally hedge out other melee classes (maybe just tweak them a bit :smallwink: ), so I can't replace the barbarian/knight's "I can take 1000 damage at once and still have 1HP" deal.