PDA

View Full Version : Help with a psionic based subsystem

NickChaisson
2017-01-23, 12:41 PM
Hello all! I am working on a psionic subsystem for my D&D 5e game. I would like some feedback on this subsystem, such as if it seems over/under powered, any flaws in the system or anything else I'm missing.

Psionic Talent is the working title for this subsystem. Players can acquire it through a feat or from in game events (If the DM permits).

This is what I have so far:

When a character awakens their psionic talent they gain three moderate abilities, one reaction ability and 2 Power points (PP). They also gain access to psionic focus. This functions similar to 3.5s use of psionic focus. Basically the character can expend their focus and then regain it with a full-round action.

A moderate ability can be broken into two minor abilities and two moderate abilities can be combined into one strong ability.

Minor abilities: Do not require PP to activate. These abilities are usually small. A single attack, small bonus or a cantrip type ability. These usually require at least a move action.

Moderate abilities: Moderate abilities are stronger than minor abilities. Examples: an attack with special modifiers (easier critical, range, multi target) or similar to a spell up to third level.

Moderate abilities require the expenditure of one PP and an equivalent action (move for bonus or movement. Standard for everything else)

Strong abilities: Strong abilities are rare and not many have them. They are very powerful. Devastating attacks or similar to a spell of up to 6th level. They require 2 PP and usually have a drawback, such as fatiguing the user or lowering a stat. (Note: The DM may limit the power and/or availability of a strong ability based on level)

Reaction abilities: These abilities function a little differently than the others. These abilities are usually in reaction to something (such as being attacked or falling to your death). Reaction abilities do not require PP. They usually just require the expenditure of one's psionic Focus.

I want these to be improvable over time, but I am having trouble thinking of an interesting way to do that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.