PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Pieces of History: Occultist Implements

inuyasha
2017-01-23, 01:59 PM
Having recently had a change of heart about the Occult classes, I really like the Occultist. I love the idea that their implements, while not necessarily magical in their own right, can hold a small amount of power harnessed only by the Occultist who owns it. I also think that these implements should have a bit of history behind them, so that no simple object can be used for this purpose.

I do however, disagree with the rule on what items can be vestiges depending on the school of magic, and am houseruling these away as suggestions only, since I think that stifles creativity a bit, and even one of the examples breaks this (no school of magic has a glass eye as an available component :smalltongue:)

This brings me to the topic of the thread as a whole, where we can create implements with their own backstories, pre-bundled with six spells (and perhaps even suggested Focus Powers if so desired)

I've made a few examples below that I'd like to show, and I encourage other people to participate!

Name School
Description

Spells Granted:
0th-
1st-
2nd-
3rd-
4th-
5th-
6th-

Casting Cudgel Evocation
These rare implements are usually found in pairs, but only one is often bound as an implement. They are one of the two halves of a Staff of Power or Staff of the Magi that are sometimes left behind when one is broken to do a retributive strike. They usually appear as broken piece of a staff etched with magic runes that periodically flicker in the dark. The powers that a casting cudgel possesses differ from those of a standard stave immensely, but all revolve around control over energy. They possess only a vestige of their former power in magic, and can function as clubs if all else fails.

Spells Granted:
0th- Light
1st- Shocking Grasp
2nd- Sound Burst
3rd- Fireball
4th- Shout
5th- Wall of Force
6th- Chain Lightning

Hero's Flagon Conjuration
The dwarves' love of mead is legendary, as is their love of smithing. When these two loves combine, they periodically create legendary tankards, flagons, steins, and other metal drinking containers. When a spell is cast from this implement, it must be held by the caster and touched to the mouth of any target to take effect, as the spell manifests as potent alcohol filling the container.
Note: Mass Cure Light Wounds instead manifests as a large shower of alcohol that erupts from the implement, splashing all of the targets.

Spells Granted:
0th- Create Water
1st- Cure Light Wounds
2nd- Delay Poison
3rd- Create Food & Water
4th- Cure Critical Wounds
5th- Mass Cure Light Wounds
6th- Heal

Black-Ray Core Necromancy
Periodically found in strange meteor showers, these smooth, black stones are always warm to the touch, and are usually found amidst a pile of charred metal that was definitely once refined into a tool of some sort (perhaps an alien rifle). When used as implements, they are almost always turned into amulets, but sometimes they appear in crowns instead (the constant warmth radiating from the rock makes some slightly uncomfortable as a crown). When used by an occultist who has studied them enough, they can emit black energy that withers flesh.

Spells Granted:
0th- Touch of Fatigue
1st- Decompose Corpse
2nd- Inflict Moderate Wounds
3rd- Bestow Curse
4th- Poison
5th- Symbol of Weakness
6th- Harm

Alchemist's Leftovers Transmutation
Worn around the neck at the end of a string or chain, this implement is a vial filled with red-tinged coal dust. It represents the leftovers when a philosopher's stone has been created, useless in their own right, but when handled properly, an occultist can eek out some power. When the item is used, red light flashes from the vial, and the target of the spell cast

Spells Granted:
0th- Mending
1st- Crafter's Fortune
2nd- Masterwork Transformation
3rd- Greater Magic Weapon
4th- Rapid Repair
5th- Fabricate
6th- Ironwood

So, of the examples I came up with, 2 are references to greater artifacts, 1 is just a historical item easily plopped into a game, and 1 is a slight gamma world reference. What else can you guys come up with?