PDA

View Full Version : Player Help looking to multiclass my warlock

Donpoohbear
2017-01-23, 03:05 PM
were doing a campaign and so far we have been in the Underdark im wondering what class is good for a warlock to take a small dip into .

Rysto
2017-01-23, 03:09 PM
What are you looking to accomplish with a multiclass? It's hard to give advice without knowing what's prompted you to look into multiclassing in the first place.

Mikey P
2017-01-23, 03:12 PM
There are many good options.

What is good for your character however is sure to be a subset of all the possibilities.

What is your play style with the character, and are you happy with it?

What are his ability scores?

What Invocations are you using?

The best options will synergize with your current goodies.

Donpoohbear
2017-01-23, 03:26 PM
im trying to stay ranged i guess i just want more damage / utillity .

13 str
19 dex bitten by werespider
15 con
16 int
17 wisdom
20 cha

im using agonizing and repelling blast , tome of secretes

JakOfAllTirades
2017-01-23, 03:46 PM
im trying to stay ranged i guess i just want more damage / utillity .

13 str
19 dex bitten by werespider
15 con
16 int
17 wisdom
20 cha

im using agonizing and repelling blast , tome of secretes

Artificer, perhaps?

Captain Bob
2017-01-23, 03:50 PM
If you want utility I'd consider Bard (lore if you go to 3) or rogue (whatever the **** you want). Expertise is juicy-sweet, and you get either cunning action, or inspiration and some more spell slots. If you're using eldritch blast as your damage source, bard probably makes more sense and will give you some easy level 1 or 2 spell buffs like faerie fire or whatever to use as an alternative hex. Plus, you can heal now! Also more cantrips

Captain Bob
2017-01-23, 03:58 PM
Whoops forgot one because I miss-read. If you want more damage a sorcerer splash can help. Quicken spell lets you eldritch blast 2 times a turn a few times depending on your level, or if you decide to go higher into sorc levels you learn the fun stuff like fireball. Also you can pick up permanent mage armor and stuff. Less utility here than bard (still get some because of a bigger spell list) but probably the best pure damage route. Then again, eldritch blast as you have it buffed with invocations will be hard to beat for at-will anyways until you sink more levels in for big AoE stuff (aforementioned fireball).

Donpoohbear
2017-01-23, 04:07 PM
i didint know there was an artificer ill give it a look bard and sorc look like they are promising especially since they are cha based

StorytellerHero
2017-01-23, 09:06 PM
The Sorcerer would be a good choice for multiclassing on a ranged caster type, because of their sorcery points and metamagic. Sorcerers also have a good selection of damaging spells.

I also have a full artificer design made last year on my DMsGuild channel (link below) that provides a lot of utility.

CaptainSarathai
2017-01-23, 09:46 PM
Sorcerer is a phenomenal splash for a Warlock, just be aware that the DM might punch your teeth down your throat for being OP.

Rogue is no good if you're staying ranged. Your EB will compete with your crossbow for damage, since you can't SA with EB.

Fighter is pretty good. Weapons, shields if you want them, and then you snag Action Surge and once per short rest you can belt them with a doubled EB. Not as good as the Sorc doing multiple times, but still fearsome when you need it, and less likely to enrage the DMon.
Getting enough levels in EK could be fun, and using a bow. This would let you Cantrip and make an attack with the bow - kinda like a 5th shot with EB.

Bard is alright. Has a lot of overlap though.

Mostly, you already have the best ranged cantrip in the game. The only things you could really Multiclass with are going to give you melee options that you don't need. For pure ranged fighting, Locks have it down as a single class. It's when you wanna smack them with something pointy that you run into trouble and need to bring in a few outside levels.

Talionis
2017-01-23, 10:34 PM
What is your Patron, many of those spell lists have damage spells. You probably want Area of Effect spells like Fireball it's on the Fiend list. Great Old One has Black Tenticles which is solid AoE at level 7.

So my advice is to stay Warlock. You have the best damaging cantrip in the game. Get your ASIs and look at feats. Look at Crossbow Ecpert feat if you are firing in melee range. Look at War Caster to help keep concentration and Opportunity Attack with Spells.

I'd consider Cleric maybe Tempest Cleric. You get an AoE attack in Thunderwave as a First level spell and you can up cast it. But the real appeal is heavy armor and shields You are strong enough for it. You also get first level healing spells that can be up cast in your awarlock spell slots.

Donpoohbear
2017-01-24, 12:36 PM
great suggestions i am doing the fiend as my patron was going to go goo but had a thematic change of heart. i have a high dex so i dont know ifi need heavy armor. im going to look into becoming a sorcerer for now and ill check out the dm's guild artificer .