PDA

View Full Version : Adventure Box [IC]

pupaeted
2017-01-23, 03:25 PM
There's a bit of backstory, bear with it.

It has been a damp and weary week.

Eight days ago you were in the court of Caer Selcouth, being treated like kings - or at least like dukes. Lord Selcouth was very greatful to all of you. That vampire had been posing as his vizier for ages without anyone noticing, and if it wasn't for you, it would have finished draining its fifth Lady Selcouth in as many years.

On discovering the vampire, you five had banded together to expose it, finally cornering it in the Lord's audience chamber. Three of you trapped it in a trifecta of brandished holy symbols, Eviva dropped her illusion of a night sky from the window, and Eberk Dankil smashed it open with a thrown axe, spearing the monster on a lance of dawn sunlight.

Lord Selcouth was so impressed and greatful that he personally wrote you a Letter of Introudction to the esteemed Adventurer's Guild in the city of Glybdawdle. Glybdawdle, which was a week's travel to the west, along a muddy, badly maintained road, in the rainiest month of spring.

You find yourself now chilled, damp, and with boots full of mud on the road to Glybdawdle. The road has been long, and tiring, and bandity, but now you're nearing your destination - you're so close you've decided to keep walking into the night to reach it.

Lord Selcouth gave you a donkey and cart, stocked with tents, a water barrel, and rations, which is trundling along behind you. Your precious unread Letter of Introduction is in a waterproof scroll case, nestled between the crates on the cart, and a small sack of 100g sits beside it - a gift to cover your expenses in the city.

You round a bend in the road, and you finally see a glow above the trees somewhere up ahead - the light being cast into the night sky from the lamps and torches of Glybdawdle herself. You can't be far away now. The donkey snorts as if anticipating a warm place to sleep, and when the wind blows you think you can detect the welcoming scent of wood smoke.

Please make a post to introduce your character, have a chat with the others, get used to posting.
When you're ready to move on, please can I have a spot check from everyone.

Rogan
2017-01-23, 05:09 PM
Geoffry Parray, the black haired Cleric of Pelor would don his heavy armor every morning before breaking camp. It might be unconfortable, but better this than beeing unprotected in case of an ambush. But every evening when they made camp, he would put down armor and weapon and would start preparing a meal for the group, using the provisions Lord Selcouth had offerd as well as his own ingredients.

Today, this routine had not happend, as they had decided to keep walking into the night to reach the town instead of spending another night on the roads. Geoffry hadn't been happy about this, since his patron, Pelor, was the god of sun, but he accepted the majority decision without grumbling.

Finaly, they could see the lights of Glybdawdle in the distance and a smal smile appeared on his face. "Finaly, the city... I'm sure, there will be a warm supper and a soft bed waiting for us"

Vonwalt
2017-01-23, 11:01 PM
"Nothing like a pleasant evening stroll, I must say." says Thorek, smiling cheerfully at the rest of the party. "But I am certainly ready to sample the doubtless convivial hospitality of Glybdawdle."
Thorek, a dwarf with a shaven head covered in tattoos of mountains and a particularly thick red mustache and beard, has been relentlessly happy throughout the journey despite the rain and the mud. He seems unfazed by bandits or bad weather, and has volunteered to carry things, cut firewood, and do other menial chores at every turn.
He's probably asked every one of you about your childhood, especially the other dwarf.

PH7
2017-01-24, 06:55 AM
"Right you are, sir dwarf. On both accounts. It'll be good to sample the delights of civilisation again", Suren replied. Despite not really being at home in the wilderness, he was also in a good mood. An important reason for this was the upbeat attitude of Thorek. Suren had been pleasantly surprised by this. The paladins he had met before had mostly been a taciturn lot, always focused on the next grand good deed they might do.
But even his good mood did not lower his general suspicions. As he peered through the darkness, faintly wishing he had the eyesight of his dwarven or half-elven companion, he tried to recall what he knew of the history of Glybdawdle.

[roll0]

[roll1]

pupaeted
2017-01-24, 07:46 AM
Suren doesn't really remember anything about Glybdawdle. He's got a vague feeling that it's not a very old city, which might explain why he never seriously studied its history.

pupaeted
2017-01-25, 04:22 AM
I'm going to push on to the pitched battle town. Apologies to oono and CWater.

As you walk towards the city, the dwarves among you think you catch glimpses of movement somewhere in the trees to the north, but the shifting shadows never resolve themselves into anything recognizable.

You make good time, but as you get close to the city you start to realise something is wrong. The welcoming glow of torchlight is a little bit too bright to be normal, the scent of woodsmoke has become a choking cloud, and the sound of many raised angry voices echo through the trees.

By the sound of it, there's only one more bend in the road before you hit the city. Do you want to make any special precautions on your approach?

Vonwalt
2017-01-25, 02:10 PM
Thorek drops his backpack in our wagon, unlimbers his axe and shield, and jogs to the front of the group.

"Looks like there's trouble ahead. I'll go first, in case this is more than just a fire."

Rogan
2017-01-25, 03:28 PM
Geoffry drops his backpack as well before moving next to Thorek.

"No matter what has happend there, those people will need help. I am not going to stand back while they suffer!"

For a second, he closes his eyes and mutters a quick prayer to Pelor.

PH7
2017-01-25, 03:39 PM
Suren looked, but failed to see anything other than the glow of fires.
When Thorek suddenly grabbed his weapons, Suren did the same, trusting the dwarf's superior vision. All too happy to let the superior warrior take the van, he takes position behind Thorek.
Uncertainly, he looks at his companions and asks:
"Maybe we should move the wagon off the road first? And approach through the trees? We don't know what's going on, after all. It would be foolish to rush in blindly."

pupaeted
2017-01-25, 04:12 PM
Are you leaving the bag of gold and letter of introduction out on the cart?

Vonwalt
2017-01-25, 05:18 PM
"I hear the sound of a fire up ahead. If the town's burning, the sooner we get there the better. Still, I suppose we should at least ensure the safety of our beasts."

Thorek begins leading his own pack pony towards a likely tree near the edge of the forest. Assuming nothing happens, he ties the pony up and then starts trying to lead the donkey and cart off the road and into the edge of the trees as well.

Rogan
2017-01-25, 05:31 PM
"We have to hurry, the townsfolk will likely need our help! No matter if its a fire or an attack or anything else..."

But his allies werer right, they should secure the animals first, so Geoffry helps the paladin moving the cart away from the road.

pupaeted
2017-01-25, 06:22 PM
Er, we had a post collision. Assume this post happens right after CWater's just below.

Thorek leads the animals and cart into the trees by the edge of the road and secures them by a tree. The donkey seems to be getting nervous at the smell of the fire and tugs at its restraints, but its reins are securely tied, and soon it settles down.

Suren convinces the others to take a more subtle approach than charging down the road, and Thorek leads the group through the trees by the road.

Eventually the party rounds the final bend. The trees end, and give way to low bushes, and with an unobstructed view of the city they can finally see the source of the light and smoke. The town looks to be ablaze.

Gathered in front of the town's wooden palisade wall is a moderately sized warband of Orcs. There are maybe as many as seven or eight of them, illuminated by the glow from the city. As the party watches, one of the orcs raises a flask above its head and throws it at the wall, which explods into fire as it lands.

It looks like the orcs are trying to approach the gate, but are being held back by a thin line of defenders standing upon the wall: a tall human female in a white tabbard, wielding a staff bearing the symbol of Pelor; a halfling armed with a bow; and two human archers.

So far nobody seems to have noticed the party, standing behind the large bushes that lead up to the city, and while the defenders seem to be holding their own for now, it must only be a matter of time before a hole burns in the wall.

Okay, the city is under attack by a dangerously big group of orcs. Will you charge in and fight? Make a plan? Run away? There might be more information available to skilled observers. I'll take Heal, Knowledge (Local), Spot, and Craft (Woodworking) checks from anyone who can give me a good one.

CWater
2017-01-25, 06:30 PM
Eviva had been very sorry to change the hospitality of the court for a week long journey in miserable weather and far away from comfortable beds. She didn't understand why they had had to leave immediately, when the weather was the worst. Surely if the Lord was so pleased, he could have let them stay for a little longer as guests. Eviva didn't complain loudly, but was often sour and grumbled to herself. She also frequently sneaked up to ride the carriage, especially through the muddiest parts, and replied to objections with "But I'm so light! The donkey will hardly notice!" and used her magic tricks to appear smaller and more fragile than what she actually was.

When making camp she was good at looking busy and helpful, but an observant mind would notice that she actually tended to slack off. The only thing she seemed to have interest in doing well or with any skill, was telling stories by the camp fire and using illusions to enhance them.

Suren looked, but failed to see anything other than the glow of fires.
When Thorek suddenly grabbed his weapons, Suren did the same, trusting the dwarf's superior vision. All too happy to let the superior warrior take the van, he takes position behind Thorek.
Uncertainly, he looks at his companions and asks:
"Maybe we should move the wagon off the road first? And approach through the trees? We don't know what's going on, after all. It would be foolish to rush in blindly."

"I hear the sound of a fire up ahead. If the town's burning, the sooner we get there the better. Still, I suppose we should at least ensure the safety of our beasts."

Thorek begins leading his own pack pony towards a likely tree near the edge of the forest. Assuming nothing happens, he ties the pony up and then starts trying to lead the donkey and cart off the road and into the edge of the trees as well.

"We have to hurry, the townsfolk will likely need our help! No matter if its a fire or an attack or anything else..."

But his allies werer right, they should secure the animals first, so Geoffry helps the paladin moving the cart away from the road.

Eviva follows after the others, tiptoeing around the worst puddles. "From mud and rain to a fire storm?", Eviva sighs, "I didn't mean that when I wished for a warm welcome..." She picked a scroll from her pocket, it wouldn't help against fire, but in case there was someone who had started that fire, well, better go in protected.

Casting Mage Armor from scroll.

Also, I just noticed that I hadn't marked on Eviva's sheet which spells she has prepared. I've added those now.

pupaeted
2017-01-25, 06:46 PM
Knowledge(local):
Eviva doesn't know much about the orcs of this region, or even if there are any native orcs, but she can tell an orcish frown from a grin, and these ones don't look very happy.

CWater
2017-01-25, 07:23 PM
Er, we had a post collision. Assume this post happens right after CWater's just below.

Thorek leads the animals and cart into the trees by the edge of the road and secures them by a tree. The donkey seems to be getting nervous at the smell of the fire and tugs at its restraints, but its reins are securely tied, and soon it settles down.

Suren convinces the others to take a more subtle approach than charging down the road, and Thorek leads the group through the trees by the road.

Eventually the party rounds the final bend. The trees end, and give way to low bushes, and with an unobstructed view of the city they can finally see the source of the light and smoke. The town looks to be ablaze.

Gathered in front of the town's wooden palisade wall is a moderately sized warband of Orcs. There are maybe as many as seven or eight of them, illuminated by the glow from the city. As the party watches, one of the orcs raises a flask above its head and throws it at the wall, which explods into fire as it lands.

It looks like the orcs are trying to approach the gate, but are being held back by a thin line of defenders standing upon the wall: a tall human female in a white tabbard, wielding a staff bearing the symbol of Pelor; a halfling armed with a bow; and two human archers.

So far nobody seems to have noticed the party, standing behind the large bushes that lead up to the city, and while the defenders seem to be holding their own for now, it must only be a matter of time before a hole burns in the wall.

Okay, the city is under attack by a dangerously big group of orcs. Will you charge in and fight? Make a plan? Run away? There might be more information available to skilled observers. I'll take Heal, Knowledge (Local), Spot, and Craft (Woodworking) checks from anyone who can give me a good one.

"Looks nasty", Eviva whispers and loads her crossbow, "Guess we'd best help?"

What's our distance to the orcs and the gate?

PH7
2017-01-26, 01:33 AM
Aye, we should go and even the odds. But there's no reason we can't be clever about it. What if the ranged attackers were to stay between the trees? With a couple of well placed light spells, we could make them think there are more of us coming to the rescue. With these numbers, every slight advantage counts.

Suren puts his club away and takes out his sling and bullets, wishing he'd prepared more combat oriented spells this morning.

CWater
2017-01-26, 08:20 AM
Aye, we should go and even the odds. But there's no reason we can't be clever about it. What if the ranged attackers were to stay between the trees? With a couple of well placed light spells, we could make them think there are more of us coming to the rescue. With these numbers, every slight advantage counts.

Suren puts his club away and takes out his sling and bullets, wishing he'd prepared more combat oriented spells this morning.

"I can cast Light once", Eviva replies, "Shame I didn't prepare illusions today, I could have added one to your number. And uh, I'd prefer not to lead the charge."

Rogan
2017-01-26, 09:01 AM
"Of cource we are going to help them. But I would like to increase our odds of succses first... "

Geoffry takes himself a moment to study the battle before turning to his allies again.

"It would be good if we could let the defenders know we arer here without the orcs noticing. We could coordinate our attack this way. And before we attack, I should ask Pelor to give us his blessing. What kind of spells other than light could you cast to help us or hinder them? I did not ask my Patron for light, so a distraction like this seems to be impossible today... "

After a few seconds of silence, he suggestes "Maybe it would help if we knew what those orcs are saying... Can anyone of you spek orcish? If not, I have a spell I could use so grant me this ability..."

pupaeted
2017-01-26, 11:55 AM
heal -
spot -
craft -

The moment Geoffry looks at the orcs he can tell something is wrong. They look weak and confused, some barely holding on to their longswords. He'd have to examine them to be sure, but it looks like they might be suffering from some kind of sickness.

He also spots something strange - the orcs are all wounded in exactly the same way. Each one has what looks like a black spike embedded in their left upper arm. It's hard to tell at this distance and in this light, but the skin around the spike looks black and swollen.

Finally, there seems to be something odd about the arrows the city defenders are using. It's hard to tell at this distance, but instead of a sharp point, they each seem to be tipped with something round and blunt.

While Geoffry is looking, one of the orcs, larger and healthier-looking than the rest and wearing a cloak, turns to look back. There's a tense moment as the large orc's eyes pass over the bush where the party is hiding, but his gaze continues on, not spotting them, and eventually it turns its attention back to the wall.

What's our distance to the orcs and the gate?

The centre of their group is about 50 feet away from your hiding place. The scene is laid out like this. Let me know if I got your specific positions wrong.

https://i.imgur.com/g0yiwxg.png

Also, does anyone speak orcish?

Vonwalt
2017-01-26, 04:43 PM
"I can't understand their tongue, but if what you see is true, Geoffry, we must be careful. Strange things are clearly afoot here. I will try to leave them alive."
Thorek turns his axe around so as to hit them for nonlethal damage.
"I do still think we should rush them and attack. Weakened as they are, and already under fire from the wall, they will be easy enough to defeat. I will lead the charge."

CWater
2017-01-27, 12:46 AM
"I know some Orcish... But what in the nine hells is wrong with those orcs?", Eviva mutters while gaping at the people ahead, "That looks just sick." A shudder passes through her.

Eviva does speak Orcish. She's reluctant to go any closer by herself, but here is a Listen check, just in case it might yield something. [roll0]

pupaeted
2017-01-30, 01:41 PM
You're all distracted from the battle by the sound coming from behind you, a sound like wheels trundling on the muddy road.

You turn, and see a black-robed figure walking slowly up the road, pulling a hand cart. As soon as the figure sees the burning city in front of him he stops, and shrieks!

Orcs Listen: [roll0]

Several of the orcs turn around to face the road behind them, and give shouts of excitement when they see the robed figure. The man at the cart pulls down his hood in alarm, revealing the face of an elderly elf.

The sight of a target they can actually reach seems to have reinvigorated the attacking orcs, and several of them begin to jog towards the elf, swords drawn, and leers on their faces.

https://i.imgur.com/X08RK63.jpg

PH7
2017-01-30, 03:21 PM
Suren had not heard the cart approach, so focused was he on the goings-on by the Glybdawdle gate. He silently cursed his lack of attention, but then he notices the actions of the orcs.

"They've split up. The time to attack is now."

He then casts a shield of faith spell on his fellow cleric and moves a little deeper into cover.

Suren casts his spell and then moves to H13 (if possible, and assuming that still leaves him out of sight of the orcs by the gate)

CWater
2017-01-30, 04:28 PM
Eviva nods and lifts her crossbow, aiming it at the orcs leading the charge towards the elf. When the shot is fired, she immediately reloads.

Standard action: Attacking the orc in the lead, in square M15. Just within 30 ft., so sneak attack!
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] + SA [roll2]
Move action: Reload crossbow.

Also, if allowed, she tries to stay hidden in the bushes.
Hide: [roll3]

Rogan
2017-01-30, 04:37 PM
Geoffry would have preferred some more time to find out what was wrong with this orcs, but now there was a live at stake and they could not wait any more.

"May Pelors light shine upon us and grant us strength"
he speaks a traditional blessing while presenting his holy symbol and making some gestures. As soon as this is done, he draws his weapon and moves out to stand next to the newly arrived elf.

He tries to calm the man by saing "Don't be afraid, we won't allow those orcs to hurt you!" before turing to the Orcs. "Stay back! Or I will have to hurt you!"

standart: Casting bless
move: Move to L17, drawing the weapon while doing so
free: talking to the elf and the orcs (all in common)

pupaeted
2017-01-31, 06:12 PM
Eviva's bolt sails past her target, giving away her hiding place, and the orc turns to look straight at her, snarling.

Thorek charges, swinging the flat of his axe down on the orc at M15.
Thorek: Charges M15 [roll0] for [roll1] non-lethal
(Sorry for puppeting you Von)

Defenders
The two archers defending the wall open fire in the distance, aiming at the orcs closest to them.
Archer N3: Attacks L5 [roll2] for [roll3] nonlethal
Archer O3: Attacks L5 [roll4] for [roll5] nonlethal

The woman on the wall casts a spell, and water sprays over one of the fires, dousing it.

The elderly robed elf turns and seems to be rummaging in his cart for something.

Orcs
The orcs with a clear path to the elderly elf step forward and swings their swords.
Orc M15: 5ft step to M16, attacks elf at M17 [roll6] for [roll7] Goes down at Thorek's hands, unconscious.
Orc N13: Charges elf at M17 [roll8] for [roll9]

The westernmost orc has no clear path to the apparently weak elf, and focuses on Thorek.
Orc K13: Move to K15 and attacks Thorek [roll10] for [roll11]

The orcs closest the gate throw stones at the defenders. The stones seem a little pathetic -not much more than pebbles.
Orc J6: Throw stone at K3 [roll12] for [roll13]
Orc L5: Throw stone at K3 [roll14] for [roll15]
Orc P5: Throw stone at O3 [roll16] for [roll17]

The orc commander moves to get a better look at the battle to the south, but he seems content to stand by and watch the battle with a calm detatchment, taking in every detail.

https://i.imgur.com/RSTrAex.jpg

Player's turn.

Rogan
2017-01-31, 06:35 PM
Geoffry changes his position slightly in order to attack the orc near the elf. He swings his morningstar, trying to hit his opponent in a way that won't kill but incapacitate the beast.

"I told you to STAY BACK!" he shouts while doing so.

move to M16
attack [roll0] for [roll1] nonlethal damage
(+1Str,+1Bab,+1MW,+1Bless,-4 nonlethal)
Geoffrys AC: 16

pupaeted
2017-01-31, 06:43 PM
The orcish commander scowls at Geoffry.

PH7
2017-02-01, 12:59 AM
Despite the escalation, Suren decides to go through with the plan. He was interested in seeing when, or if, the orcs would flee. The paladin had already knocked one unconscious, so a bloodless end to the battle would still be preferable to him. Summoning the magic granted to him by Boccob, he casts a light spell on a branch next to him and then moves away from it, figuring the sudden appearence of a light would interfere with the creature's darksight just long enough to obscure his movement.

Cast light on I13, move to G12

CWater
2017-02-01, 02:21 AM
Eviva groans when her first shot misses. The orcs were too scattered to make good use of her spells, so she aims the crossbow again, picking a target away from the melee fight.

Same as before, shoot then reload. Targeting the one in P10, no sneak attack this time.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Vonwalt
2017-02-01, 10:37 PM
Thorek grins at the orc that hit him. "Well struck! But it's my turn now." He attempts to knock the orc in square K 15 unconscious.

Attack [roll0] Damage [roll1]

pupaeted
2017-02-02, 03:30 AM
Geoffry swingins his morningstar at the orc's legs, but overbalances and misses. The orc seems happy about this, but the orcish commander standing in the background seems annoyed.

Suren casts his light spell on the branch. The surrounding orcs shield their eyes, but the spell seems to be too dim to dazzle them after staring at the fires of the city. In addition, the spell attracts attention from the north, and two of the orcs assaulting the wall moves down to engage the now exposed human.

Eviva's attack is on target this time, but the bolt lodges in the orc commander's thick studded armor without doing substantial damage. The commander frowns and contemptuously knocks the embedded projectile to the ground, but the attack does seem to have worried him, and he takes a defensive posture.

Thorek delivers another devestating blow with the flat of his axe, and the orc at K15 slumps to the ground, unconscious.

Defenders
The two archers on the wall focus their attacks on one of the orcs turning towards Suren.
Archer N3: Attacks J6 [roll0] for [roll1] nonlethal
Archer O3: Attacks J6 [roll2] for [roll3] nonlethal

The woman on the wall waves her staff in greeting when she sees Suren's light spell, she looks down from the wall, perhaps considering the jump.

With the orcs at the wall separated, the short figure beside her scampers along the top of the wall towards the last orc still dumbly throwing stones.

The elderly elf laughs in triumph as he lifts a glowing purple potion from his cart, downs it, and rapidly fades from view. Moments later, his cart begins trundling off to the west, apparently under its own power.

Orcs
Mystified by the disappearance of the elf, the orc at N16 swings at Geoffry instead.
Orc N16: Attack Geoffry [roll4] for [roll5] (1)

Two of the orcs assaulting the wall turn around and jog towards Suren, and one of them draws close enough to attack.
Orc J6: Moves to G11 and attacks Suren [roll6] for [roll7]
Orc L5: Move to I10

The last orc at the wall dumbly continues to assault the archers with weak projectiles, doing not much more than harassing them.
Orc P5: Throws stone at O3 [roll8] for [roll9] (1)

The orc commander uses the 'total defense' action.

https://i.imgur.com/713svrC.jpg

Player's turn. I'm rooting for Eviva.

CWater
2017-02-02, 06:42 AM
"Ok, time to try something else", Eviva concludes when more orcs advance. She moves through the bushes, briefly regretting all the leaves and twigs that get caught on her cloak and clothes. From a small pouch on her belt she retrieves a handful of colourful sand and when she mutters some arcane words accompanied by a hand gesture the fine grains start to glow brightly. The enchanter extends her palm and they burst towards the orcs in the form of vivid coloured light.

Move action: To I12.
Standard action: Casting Color Spray, Will save DC 14 to negate, targeting the orcs in I10 and G11, but avoiding to hit Suren (I believe this is possible).

pupaeted
2017-02-02, 08:07 AM
Will saves for
Orc I10: [roll0] on failure unconscious for [roll1] then bstunned for [roll2]
Orc G11: [roll3] on failure unconscious for [roll4] then bstunned for [roll5]

PH7
2017-02-02, 09:18 AM
Suren feared the attacking orc's blade for a moment, but it got stuck on some branches. Before the ugly creature could attack again, it was fortunately knocked unconscious by Eviva's magic. The combination of avoiding an enemy attack and seeing two orcs go down with one spell made Suren laugh involuntarily. He gave a grin and a nod to Eviva, then turned his attention to the orc remaining by the wall.

Yes, I know it's an attack for lethal damage, but come on. It's 1D4 damage, what are the odds of me scoring a critical?
attack on P5: [roll0]
Confirm crit: [roll1]
damage: [roll2]

Rogan
2017-02-02, 10:43 AM
Geoffry takes a hit from his enemy, but he won't allow it to distract him. He slightly changes his position in order to give his allies a better chance to flank the orc should he fail again to take it out of the fight.

"For Pelor!" he shouts while swinging his morningstar again.

5-foot step to N17
[roll0] to hit, [roll1] non-lethal damage

pupaeted
2017-02-02, 12:04 PM
When the woman on the wall sees Suren's sling stone bounce off the orc's armor, she starts waving both of her hands above her head. She's shouting something. Can anyone come up with a good listen check?

(this isn't interrupting combat)

pupaeted
2017-02-02, 06:31 PM
Listen check: (1d20+3)[17]

Listen: (1d20+4)[15]

The woman's shouting sounds somethng like "No-neck Romance -something- Alive".

Vonwalt
2017-02-02, 10:13 PM
"Let me give you a hand, Geoffry." says Thorek cheerfully, before stepping to square N 15 (with 20ft speed, I think I can do that without taking an AOO) and bringing his axe flat on the orc in square N 16.

Attack [roll0] Damage [roll1]
I got a crit, but unless I need triple damage to knock this guy out, I'll ignore it.

pupaeted
2017-02-04, 07:26 PM
Eviva's spell catches both orcs in its dazzling ray, and they slump to the ground like puppets with their strings cut.

Suren's sling stone bounces off the back of his target's leather armour. The orc turns to look behind it, and gapes stupidly when it realizes most of its allies have been brought down, it breaks and tries to run.

Geoffry misses his target, but he distracts the orc for long enough for Thorek to slide up and knock the creature out from behind.

Defenders
Seeing their last attacker run, the archers on the wall leave their posts. Moments later a pair of laborers appear carrying buckets sloshing with water.

The woman on the wall disappears as well, descending down an unseen set of stairs.

The cart continues to trundle away apparently unaided.

Orcs
The last remaining orc raider breaks and takes off towards the southeast.

The orc commander has been getting more and more frustrated since the party started knocking his subordinates out, and now it seems like he's lost his temper. As his last raider runs past him, the commander whips out his sword, spinning, and slices at the deserter's neck. He follows up with a vicious lunge at his subordinate's flank, casts a final dark glance at the party, then takes off to the east.

Orc Cdr: AoO subordinate [roll0] for [roll1], attacks subordinate [roll2] for [roll3], moves to V11.

The last orc raider is down, and rapidly dying.

https://i.imgur.com/IdOhUho.jpg

It's the player's turn. You could end the combat here if you wanted, or keep going to try and bring down the commander.

Rogan
2017-02-04, 07:45 PM
"Thank you Thorek, you saved the day"

Geoffry than hurrys to get to the orc attacked by his own leader, he was not sure what was wrong with those orcs, but he should better make sure the beast does not blead out.

"I will try to keep this Orc alive. Suren, could you take a look at the cart, I think it's owner is therer, invisible. I know he did take a hit, so maybe he will need healing"

I will move to the Orc at Q11. I intend to convert one of my detect magic spells to cure minor wounds in order to make him stable. I will not follow the Orc leader.

PH7
2017-02-04, 08:23 PM
Suren has no intention of following the orc leader, especially after seeing how easily he cut down his fleeing subordinate.

He goes up to quickly collect the longswords held by the two stunned orcs and tosses them in the bushes, just out of their sight, should they wake up. As he does so, he responds to Geoffry, saying "Good idea. Try to get all the information you can get out of him before he croaks."

Less brusquely, he turns to Eviva, pointing at the orcs she stunned /saved him from and asks, "Could you keep an eye on these two? I'd hate for us to be backstabbed, because between the dreary weather and the long road that would just ruin this week."

Finally, he cuts around the bushes, heading to the invisible cart driver and yells in his general direction, "Hello? Sir? We've neutralized the orcs. If you'd like, I could heal your wounds..."

These actions probably take several rounds, so if someone wants to continue combat by chasing the commander, assume these to be the things Suren does in the meantime. Unless something really important would interfere, consider Suren to be out of the running for battle events. This is partly because Suren wouldn't want to give chase and partly because I probably won't have time to post until monday evening...

Vonwalt
2017-02-04, 11:41 PM
"Ah, well fought by all. I deserve no praise greater than you," says Thorek in response to Geoffry and the others, before stepping closer to the unconscious orc in front of him.

Thorek raises his shield, a wooden roundshield emblazoned with the symbol of Mor-ad-Din, the first dwarf.
"I really should have done this earlier," he mutters, and uses detect evil. Focusing on the black spikes, the orcs, and the cart/invisible guy.

He has no intention of chasing the orc leader, what with his short dwarf legs and the fact that he left his crossbow by the wagon.

pupaeted
2017-02-05, 12:30 PM
Firstly, everyone is awarded 713xp, for taking down the warband and navigating the less obvious dangers of the encounter.

When Suren disarms the unconscious orcs, he notices that the longswords seem to be in poor shape. Their blades are chipped, and one of them is slightly bent.

Geoffry reaches the dying orc just in time. He casts his spell and the ugly stab wound in the creature's side closes. It's still badly wounded, but stable.

When Thorek concentrates on sensing evil, he notices that the while the orcs are only faintly evil, he can sense a malevolent glow from the black spikes, which are giving off a moderate evil aura. Neither the elf nor the cart seem evil to his senses.

At Suren's call, the unaccompanied cart stops.

"Is it really safe?" asks a reedy voice from the direction of the cart. A moment later the robed elf fades back into view. He looks over the party, and then looks at the downed orcs with an interested expression. During the battle one of the orcs had taken a swipe at him, but it missed, and the man is uninjured. He doesn't even look ruffled.

"Thank you for saving me, travelers! I'd heard the roads weren't safe, but I thought it would be safe this close to the city." He smiles over at Suren. "I'm not hurt, but thank you." He seems thoughtful as he looks from Suren, to Geoffry, to Thorek, eyeing your holy symbols. "Are you from the church?"

Behind the party, the city gates open. Inside, commoners and soldiers with water buckets can be seen running around and trying to douse burning buildings. The woman from the wall strides out of the gate, flanked by the two archers. They quickly start shackling the unconscious orcs. The woman casts a glance towards the party, but she seems to be occupied with securing the attackers.

Vonwalt
2017-02-05, 10:22 PM
When Thorek notices the fire and commotion inside the gate, he perks up. Ignoring the elf, he passes the scroll case to Geoffry or Suren, whichever takes it.

"If you're all right, friends, I'm going to go help with the fire. Looks like there's still people in danger in the town."

So saying, Thorek jogs in the general direction of the gate, planning to join the bucket brigade and help firefight.

Rogan
2017-02-06, 02:02 PM
"Be careful with this one. The Orc leader nearly killed him and the magic I casted could not heal the damage" Geoffry warns the archers, before turning to the woman.

"Greetings. My name is Geoffry Parray, it's a pleaure to meet you - despite the circumstances. With your permission, unless therer is something more important, I would like to help fighting those fires"

Assuming the woman has no objections, Geoffry will move to the burning palisade and cast create water in order to douse the flames before joining the bucket brigade.

pupaeted
2017-02-07, 02:42 PM
When she sees Thorek heading for the gate, the woman from the wall leaves the orcs and walks sternly over to intercept him. She watches Geoffry join them cautiously.

Up close you notice that she's a human woman, with golden hair and a strong jaw. She looks to be in her mid thirties, wearing a steel breastplate under the white tabbard and still carrying the tall metal staff she had on the wall, which is topped by the symbol of Pelor.

"Greetings Geoffry Parray, and to the rest of you as well. I'm Arena Woodsey, the city's chief cleric of Pelor and the leader of the local Adventurer's guild chapter besides."

She watches her subordinates finish securing the fallen orcs, then turns back to you.

"That was a brave thing you did, joining the battle from the outside. This isn't the largest war band we've faced in recent days, but there is... problematic magic involved, which makes them difficult to fight."

"Your help will be welcome in dealing with the fires, I'm heading that way myself. Stay close."

Thorek, Geoffry, and anyone else who wants to help follow the Woodsey into the city and begin helping douse the fires with spells and then with more mundane means. It takes a frantic hour working alongside dozens of commoners and guards, but eventually the fires are doused.

In the cool aftermath, it looks like the fire must have started in the stables attached to an inn - the Soaked Sackcloth, and spread from there into the city. The stables building is ruined beyond use, and the nobody involved in the firefighting effort could have missed the charred bodies of two horses that had been trapped in the stables when the fire went up.

The inn itself survived relatively unharmed, and Woodsey leads you and several of the soliders into its common room, where the innkeeper is dishing out bowls of hot stew and tankards of ale. She sits down and gestures to invite the party to join her at the crowded table.

"Fire, by the hells. They're using fire now," she shakes her head, speaking almost to herself. She looks very tired.

Does everyone want to help with the fire? If not - what did you get up to in the hour it took to douse the flames?

PH7
2017-02-07, 03:01 PM
At Suren's call, the unaccompanied cart stops.

"Is it really safe?" asks a reedy voice from the direction of the cart. A moment later the robed elf fades back into view. He looks over the party, and then looks at the downed orcs with an interested expression. During the battle one of the orcs had taken a swipe at him, but it missed, and the man is uninjured. He doesn't even look ruffled.

"Thank you for saving me, travelers! I'd heard the roads weren't safe, but I thought it would be safe this close to the city." He smiles over at Suren. "I'm not hurt, but thank you." He seems thoughtful as he looks from Suren, to Geoffry, to Thorek, eyeing your holy symbols. "Are you from the church?"

Suren makes a polite bow to the elf, before replying:
"I'm from A church, as are my companions. Was there a specific one you had in mind, sir?"

Does everyone want to help with the fire? If not - what did you get up to in the hour it took to douse the flames?

Suren had gone to the robed elf and tries to engage him in polite conversation. He had been impressed by the mysterious figure's calm response to a hostile orc's attacks and wants to find out a little more about him. If the elf wants to talk, then Suren will stay with him (as long as pressing the conversation would not be considered rude). Right after the battle, Suren does occasionally glance at the unconscious orcs until he sees they are secured.

pupaeted
2017-02-07, 03:13 PM
Suren had gone to the robed elf and tried to engage him in polite conversation. He had been impressed by the mysterious figure's calm response to a hostile orc's attacks and wants to find out a little more about him. If the elf wants to talk, then Suren will stay with him (as long as pressing the conversation would not be considered rude). Right after the battle, Suren does occasionally glance at the unconscious orcs until he sees they are secured.

Sorry for skipping over this bit.

The elf introduces himself as a simple trader. He gives a rushed explanation that he's been camping in the woods for a few days and selling his wares to travellers - an assortment of curios and minor magic items. He encourages Suren to find him in the city markets the following day, bids him fairwell, and drags his cart into the city, dodging the crowds, and trying to avoid the remaining fires as much as possible.

CWater
2017-02-09, 09:53 AM
Behind the party, the city gates open. Inside, commoners and soldiers with water buckets can be seen running around and trying to douse burning buildings. The woman from the wall strides out of the gate, flanked by the two archers. They quickly start shackling the unconscious orcs. The woman casts a glance towards the party, but she seems to be occupied with securing the attackers.
Eviva had stayed by the knocked out orcs, ready to threaten them with her crossbow should they wake up too soon. Once the townspeople have them secured she lowers the weapon. "Well then..." She looks around and chooses to follow after Geoffrey to greet the woman who seems to be in charge.

"Be careful with this one. The Orc leader nearly killed him and the magic I casted could not heal the damage" Geoffry warns the archers, before turning to the woman.

"Greetings. My name is Geoffry Parray, it's a pleaure to meet you - despite the circumstances. With your permission, unless therer is something more important, I would like to help fighting those fires"

Assuming the woman has no objections, Geoffry will move to the burning palisade and cast create water in order to douse the flames before joining the bucket brigade.

When she sees Thorek heading for the gate, the woman from the wall leaves the orcs and walks sternly over to intercept him. She watches Geoffry join them cautiously.

Up close you notice that she's a human woman, with golden hair and a strong jaw. She looks to be in her mid thirties, wearing a steel breastplate under the white tabbard and still carrying the tall metal staff she had on the wall, which is topped by the symbol of Pelor.

"Greetings Geoffry Parray, and to the rest of you as well. I'm Arena Woodsey, the city's chief cleric of Pelor and the leader of the local Adventurer's guild chapter besides."

She watches her subordinates finish securing the fallen orcs, then turns back to you.

"That was a brave thing you did, joining the battle from the outside. This isn't the largest war band we've faced in recent days, but there is... problematic magic involved, which makes them difficult to fight."

Interesting... I'd like to hear more about that, Eviva thinks to herself. "Thank you, we were happy to help. My name is Eviva Shan, I'm an enchanter and storyteller."

"Your help will be welcome in dealing with the fires, I'm heading that way myself. Stay close."

Thorek, Geoffry, and anyone else who wants to help follow the Woodsey into the city and begin helping douse the fires with spells and then with more mundane means. It takes a frantic hour working alongside dozens of commoners and guards, but eventually the fires are doused.

In the cool aftermath, it looks like the fire must have started in the stables attached to an inn - the Soaked Sackcloth, and spread from there into the city. The stables building is ruined beyond use, and the nobody involved in the firefighting effort could have missed the charred bodies of two horses that had been trapped in the stables when the fire went up.

The inn itself survived relatively unharmed, and Woodsey leads you and several of the soliders into its common room, where the innkeeper is dishing out bowls of hot stew and tankards of ale. She sits down and gestures to invite the party to join her at the crowded table.

"Fire, by the hells. They're using fire now," she shakes her head, speaking almost to herself. She looks very tired.

Eviva is visibly happy about getting inside after staying so long outdoors and the prospect of sleeping in a bed instead of the hard ground. The food and drink was also welcome.

"Sounds like you know your attackers, have they been bothering you long?", she asks after sitting down.

Eviva had hanged around those fighting the fire, creating light and occasionally moving a bucket or two herself, then bemoaning about her frail build and weak arms.

pupaeted
2017-02-09, 10:26 AM
The woman shakes her head, and then brushes a sweat-stained strand of yellow hair from her face.

"The troubles began around three weeks ago, or- no," she frowns. "Better said, the troubles started two months ago. Back then we noticed the roads were becoming unsafe, there was an increase in attacks on travelers and traders, and there were disturbing sounds from the woods at night."

She turns to look at Eviva and gestures towards the city.

"You understand, for a market town like ours, trade is our lifeblood. So... most of the city's soldiers were split into squads and sent out to patrol the roads. We feared that a band of nomadic orc clans had moved into the region, and were preying on the road traffic. We were right, as it turned out, but that was hardly the worst of it."

She takes a deep draw on her tankard.

"Three weeks ago, they started to attack the city directly. Just orcs - but each time accompanied by more powerful creatures, or wielding strange weapons or new magic. We'd only seen the bone spikes once before, one terrible night last week. Those fire-vials they brought tonight were new."

Rogan
2017-02-09, 02:01 PM
"Those spikes... What do they do? I noticed you tried to keep the orcs alive so we did the same, and I think you said something about nekromancy? But what exactly was wrong with them?" Geoffry inquires.

"We were on the way to join the guild, maybe we can help with those Orcs and, more important, find out who is realy behind all this. Those strange magic and weapons you mentioned don't sound like a regular orc warband. More likely some crazy sorcerer of some kind... We had some success at defeating a vampire in the court of Caer Selcouth, we might be able to handle this problem as well"

He turns to his companions to ask them "Did any of you thought about taking the letter from our cart?"

PH7
2017-02-09, 02:14 PM
Suren frowns at Geoffrey. Oh, NOW he thinks of the letter, he thinks, remembering the start of the fight.
"Thorek has the letter, I believe", Suren says, knowing full well the jovial paladin grabbed it half a second before he could do so himself.

"But I'd like to hear more about these orcs. What did they do to your patrols? And what exactly would have happened had we killed one of them? Have you tried questioning them?"

Suren fires his questions quickly at the woman, not allowing her a chance to accept Geoffry's offer without offering more information first.

Don't worry, I won't object to us taking this quest. At the very least, I don't want to mess up our DM's plans :smallsmile:. But Suren wouldn't just offer his help without more information...

Vonwalt
2017-02-09, 03:03 PM
"Ah! The letter. Yes, I have it here," says Thorek, pulling the scroll case off his back and handing it to Arena. "And I want to add my voice to those questions. What more powerful creatures have aided the orcs?"

CWater
2017-02-10, 06:45 AM
Eviva leans back in her chair bringing her fingertips together under her chin. Interesting... very interesting... It had been a while since she had heard a true story like this, and to happen basically around them.. She waits for Woodsey to answer the questions.

pupaeted
2017-02-10, 07:05 AM
"Those spikes... What do they do? I noticed you tried to keep the orcs alive so we did the same, and I think you said something about nekromancy? But what exactly was wrong with them?" Geoffry inquires.

"But I'd like to hear more about these orcs. What did they do to your patrols? And what exactly would have happened had we killed one of them? Have you tried questioning them?"

"And I want to add my voice to those questions. What more powerful creatures have aided the orcs?"
"Your caution saved us all some trouble, and yourselves some nightmares. We first saw those spikes a week ago, or ones like them - they were silver back then, lead. A band of forty orcs attacked, and the garrison sallied out to fight them."

"The soldiers were confident, the orcs were weak and poorly armed, and the garrison were making short work of them. Half of the attackers had already been killed before we realised our mistake."

Arena stares grimly into her now empty cup.

"The spikes are works of dark magic. After the first few orcs died, they started started shattering, releasing their foul spells. It was the magic of undeath. The skeleton of every orc slain that night burst from its body less than a minute after death. The soldiers were only armed with sword and spear."

She turns to each member of the party, looking for signs of understanding.

"I tried to get outside to help the soldiers, but Captain Avine refused to unbar the gates, and by the time I got the city council to overrule his orders, it was too late for those trapped beyond the wall."

"We were on the way to join the guild, maybe we can help with those Orcs and, more important, find out who is realy behind all this. Those strange magic and weapons you mentioned don't sound like a regular orc warband. More likely some crazy sorcerer of some kind... We had some success at defeating a vampire in the court of Caer Selcouth, we might be able to handle this problem as well"

"Ah! The letter. Yes, I have it here," says Thorek, pulling the scroll case off his back and handing it to Arena.
"You came to join? We may be shorthanded, but if I let expediency dictate recruitment, I'd face a rebellion by every member who worked for their lords' nomination."

She breaks open the letter and takes only a couple of seconds to read it.

"Ah, you have a nomination. A vampire, hiding in a lord's court, a position of power and trust. That is disturbing. It seems you could become members of the Adventurer's Guild."

She rolls the letter and tucks it haphazardly behind her breastplate.

"I expect to be busy on a contract to the city tomorrow, so you'll have a day to settle in. Find me the day after tomorrow at the Guild headquarters and I'll help you process your applications."

pupaeted
2017-02-10, 08:15 AM
http://i.imgur.com/tP4eshW.jpg

CWater
2017-02-10, 10:48 AM
"Your caution saved us all some trouble, and yourselves some nightmares. We first saw those spikes a week ago, or ones like them - they were silver back then, lead. A band of forty orcs attacked, and the garrison sallied out to fight them."

"The soldiers were confident, the orcs were weak and poorly armed, and the garrison were making short work of them. Half of the attackers had already been killed before we realised our mistake."

Arena stares grimly into her now empty cup.

"The spikes are works of dark magic. After the first few orcs died, they started started shattering, releasing their foul spells. It was the magic of undeath. The skeleton of every orc slain that night burst from its body less than a minute after death. The soldiers were only armed with sword and spear."

She turns to each member of the party, looking for signs of understanding.

"I tried to get outside to help the soldiers, but Captain Avine refused to unbar the gates, and by the time I got the city council to overrule his orders, it was too late for those trapped beyond the wall."

Eviva shakes her head. "Ugh, undead are nasty. I'm sorry to hear what happened to the soldiers. I'm sure the same mistake won't be made twice?"

"You came to join? We may be shorthanded, but if I let expediency dictate recruitment, I'd face a rebellion by every member who worked for their lords' nomination."

She breaks open the letter and takes only a couple of seconds to read it.

"Ah, you have a nomination. A vampire, hiding in a lord's court, a position of power and trust. That is disturbing. It seems you could become members of the Adventurer's Guild."

She rolls the letter and tucks it haphazardly behind her breastplate.

"I expect to be busy on a contract to the city tomorrow, so you'll have a day to settle in. Find me the day after tomorrow at the Guild headquarters and I'll help you process your applications."

"That sounds like an excellent plan, guildmaster, I'll look forward to meeting on the day after! Say, do you offer accomodation for your members or are we free to find our own housing?"

Rogan
2017-02-10, 01:28 PM
Geoffry was sure their party would have had less problems than those soldiers, but still it was better to prevent the undead from rising at all.

"I'm sorry to hear the fate of your soilders. Fighting creatures with weapons that hardly deal any damage to them is a terrible situation. And having to watch them without beeing allowed to help was not much better"

He simply nodds as Arena tells them they would have a day to rest, turns to Thorek next and asks "Will you join me looking for the cart and the animals? Now that the acute problems are dealt with, we should bring them to the savety of the city"

pupaeted
2017-02-11, 10:10 AM
Eviva shakes her head. "That sounds like an excellent plan, guildmaster, I'll look forward to meeting on the day after! Say, do you offer accomodation for your members or are we free to find our own housing?"

"The Guild keeps a small appartment for clients in need of protection, but it's reserved for emergencies. Beyond that..." the woman looks upwards to think. "There are several inns around the city who usually have space at this time of year, or if you're planning a long stay you may be able to find a landlord with a suite for rent. I also believe the temples offer spaces for vagrants to spend the night."

Vonwalt
2017-02-11, 09:15 PM
"I believe the temple floor will offer plenty of comfort for me, says Thorek, getting up out of his seat. "I'd appreciate directions once we get back with our cart and horses."
Thorek heads out of town alongside Geoffry to find the stuff.

PH7
2017-02-13, 02:35 PM

Sounds like this captain Avine is the brains of this town's defence. Suren was a little tired after helping putting out the fires, but now, with a mystery to solve, he felt wide awake again.

"I'm sorry. I can't imagine what it was like to watch those brave men and women die. But surely you cannot fault captain Avine. It would have helped no one if you had gone out and died with them, my lady of Pelor.
I wonder, what will you do with the orcs our group incapacitated? Will they be questioned? If so, I might help with that. Thanks to the foresight of Boccob, I prepared a spell this morning that may enable me to comprehend their language."

Isn't it fun when the name of the spell tells you exactly what it does? :smallamused:

pupaeted
2017-02-14, 10:29 AM
Thorek and Geoffry

You head out to the cart, being allowed through the gates by one of the archers who recognise you from the battle earlier on.

Everything on the cart seems to be the way you left it, but the poor donkey is terrified, shaking and covered in sweat, despite the chill.

Do you two want to do anything else before heading back to the city for the night?

Suren

Arena's mouth twists into a sour expression as Suren compliments Avine, then turns to him when he mentions the orcs.

"I remanded them to what's left of the garrison, so they'll be in the cells of the City Watch by now. Under normal circumstances, I'd expect them to be healed, and tried. I've never been given any useful information from any of the grunts we've captured before, but if you want to try you could track down the captain in the morning."

Rogan
2017-02-14, 01:36 PM
Geoffry tries to calm the donkey, speaking in a low voice. "We will take care of you... Nothing will harm you...

He turns to Thorek for a moment to ask him "Do you think the Orc leader is nearby? Or some other predator?" before continuing to take care of the animal.

CWater
2017-02-14, 02:56 PM
"The Guild keeps a small appartment for clients in need of protection, but it's reserved for emergencies. Beyond that..." the woman looks upwards to think. "There are several inns around the city who usually have space at this time of year, or if you're planning a long stay you may be able to find a landlord with a suite for rent. I also believe the temples offer spaces for vagrants to spend the night."
"One of the inns will work out fine, I'm sure", Eviva smiles brightly, "Any particular suggestions?"

Sounds like this captain Avine is the brains of this town's defence. Suren was a little tired after helping putting out the fires, but now, with a mystery to solve, he felt wide awake again.

"I'm sorry. I can't imagine what it was like to watch those brave men and women die. But surely you cannot fault captain Avine. It would have helped no one if you had gone out and died with them, my lady of Pelor.
I wonder, what will you do with the orcs our group incapacitated? Will they be questioned? If so, I might help with that. Thanks to the foresight of Boccob, I prepared a spell this morning that may enable me to comprehend their language."

Isn't it fun when the name of the spell tells you exactly what it does? :smallamused:

Suren

Arena's mouth twists into a sour expression as Suren compliments Avine, then turns to him when he mentions the orcs.

"I remanded them to what's left of the garrison, so they'll be in the cells of the City Watch by now. Under normal circumstances, I'd expect them to be healed, and tried. I've never been given any useful information from any of the grunts we've captured before, but if you want to try you could track down the captain in the morning."

"I could come along, perhaps I can persuade them to speak? I'm told I'm good with words." She shrugs and gives the cleric a smile.

PH7
2017-02-14, 05:18 PM
"One of the inns will work out fine, I'm sure", Eviva smiles brightly, "Any particular suggestions?"

"I could come along, perhaps I can persuade them to speak? I'm told I'm good with words." She shrugs and gives the cleric a smile.

"Sure, I'd welcome the help." Suren stifles a yawn. "And I think I'll also look for an inn, at least for tonight." And hopefully, I'll be able to get a decent glass of wine there to wash away the foul taste of this ale, he adds to himself.

When they are out Arena's earshot, Suren turns to Eviva and says, "Did you see the way her face scrunched up when I praised Avine? Seems like there is a history between those two. It might be worth checking out. If there is a disagreement, we might gain an advantage. Or at least, prepare ourselves should their enmity compromise the defence of this town." Jokingly he adds, "Or maybe we'll find out they're former lovers or some such."

pupaeted
2017-02-14, 05:34 PM
One of the servers behind the bar is happy to give information about the inns in the city.

A room at the 'Sackcloth where you're meeting the Adventurer's Guild head Arena Woodsley costs 5 silver pieces per person, per night. A night at the The Black Chariot (F7) costs 2 gold pieces per night per person, and the The Crimson Mug (K2) offers luxurious suites that sleep between two and six for 20 gold pieces a night.

She's probably so forthcoming since the inn she works at is the cheapest of the lot.

http://i.imgur.com/7JZws7y.jpg

CWater
2017-02-15, 12:00 PM
"Sure, I'd welcome the help." Suren stifles a yawn. "And I think I'll also look for an inn, at least for tonight." And hopefully, I'll be able to get a decent glass of wine there to wash away the foul taste of this ale, he adds to himself.

"Yes, I think I shall find a nice fluffy bed for myself as well. Or one can at least hope. Thank you, guildmaster, I'll look forward to seeing you in a day or two."

When they are out Arena's earshot, Suren turns to Eviva and says, "Did you see the way her face scrunched up when I praised Avine? Seems like there is a history between those two. It might be worth checking out. If there is a disagreement, we might gain an advantage. Or at least, prepare ourselves should their enmity compromise the defence of this town." Jokingly he adds, "Or maybe we'll find out they're former lovers or some such."
Eviva smirks. "Wouldn't surprise me, 'tis a small town after all. But you're right, it wouldn't hurt to find out how deep the grudge goes. Shouldn't be too hard either, public figures like they are, there's got to be gossip."

One of the servers behind the bar is happy to give information about the inns in the city.

A room at the 'Sackcloth where you're meeting the Adventurer's Guild head Arena Woodsley costs 5 silver pieces per person, per night. A night at the The Black Chariot (F7) costs 2 gold pieces per night per person, and the The Crimson Mug (K2) offers luxurious suites that sleep between two and six for 20 gold pieces a night.

She's probably so forthcoming since the inn she works at is the cheapest of the lot.

http://i.imgur.com/7JZws7y.jpg

"Well then! I shall give your place the first try", Eviva replies happily and drops the silver on the counter, "I'm not prejudiced towards cheap prices. If it's not to my taste I will simply switch tomorrow, but I'm sure it won't come to that." She gives the servant a wink.

Vonwalt
2017-02-15, 06:11 PM
He turns to Thorek for a moment to ask him "Do you think the Orc leader is nearby? Or some other predator?" before continuing to take care of the animal.

"It is odd, certainly. Perhaps there is a general malaise over the region due to the sinister forces at work?"

Thorek uses his detect evil once again to scan the immediate region before trying to calm down the donkey and lead the cart back into town.

Other than that, he doesn't have much to do in town, so he's going to head to the temple district and look for a temple that will let him crash there.

[roll0]