PDA

View Full Version : Idea of an magic spell program

Balok_Khalazza
2017-01-23, 04:36 PM
Hello,
It's my first thread here and I'm pretty sure there isn't already one like this on your board so here is my idea:
I'm currently studying informatic (I'm German and here it is called Informatik, sorry) and recently an idea came up on me about an interactive magicbook, which asks for a class (mage or priest at first), then the school of the spell you're looking for and finally the grade.
This idea came up because we regularly loose much time by looking up in the books, so that's it.
I don't want to describe every single spell, but name it and display the page and the book, you can find it in.
But before I'm going to program night after night I wanted to know if anybody except our group would be interested in such a thing.
I use Java and am currently in the first semester , so I'm recently not skilled in programming a nice interface :/ but that can be updated later.
So let me know if you're interested, if there is already anything like this out there and I'm thankful for every tip you can offer :)
Greetings

Calthropstu
2017-01-23, 04:56 PM
Hello,
It's my first thread here and I'm pretty sure there isn't already one like this on your board so here is my idea:
I'm currently studying informatic (I'm German and here it is called Informatik, sorry) and recently an idea came up on me about an interactive magicbook, which asks for a class (mage or priest at first), then the school of the spell you're looking for and finally the grade.
This idea came up because we regularly loose much time by looking up in the books, so that's it.
I don't want to describe every single spell, but name it and display the page and the book, you can find it in.
But before I'm going to program night after night I wanted to know if anybody except our group would be interested in such a thing.
I use Java and am currently in the first semester , so I'm recently not skilled in programming a nice interface :/ but that can be updated later.
So let me know if you're interested, if there is already anything like this out there and I'm thankful for every tip you can offer :)
Greetings

This has been done many times.

It does not require coding, nor does it require anything akin to java. Think more simple sql query or an excel spreadsheet.

GilesTheCleric
2017-01-23, 05:06 PM
Yup. Spreadsheets already exist and handle this pretty well. If you're looking for a niche to contribute to, then maybe consider making a program that will do regex searches for folks that don't know how to do them. Given that the data side already exists, all you should need to do is code the search functionality, and then pop in your SQL/ CSV data source.